Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh23 (View Post)

THE DATER'S HANDBOOK (2016)
Thanks for your review! Feel free to come back in time for April during this stay-in period

Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

Hugh Grant as Daniel Cleaver, he brings the laughs, isn't afraid to be politically incorrect when using dirty talk to Bridget and genuinely entertains you, sleaziness of his role aside.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

Bridget and Darcy strike me as one of those literary couples who you're constantly told by people that they belong together, but they barely have anything in common or even show respect for each other's differences.

Bridget is always having to apologize at the end of each movie to him for "getting the wrong idea", and it's demeaning to them both to be stuck in such a toxic cycle.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Daniel Cleaver, no joke.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Mark Darcy bored me in this one. I realized how much he moodily stares at Bridget as if she's an embarrassment to him. Honestly, Colin has the easiest time just replaying his Pride and Prejudice role from 1995.

+ Comments:

Waste of time cash cow sequel. The jail scenes are embarrassing. The best thing about the movie other than the sexual tension between Bridget and Daniel is that Daniel can still mess with Mark's mind about Bridget. He knows what to say to plant doubt in his mind. It's fun to watch those explosive fights between them. Sadly, the third movie in this trilogy lacks Hugh Grant altogether, so this clearly should've remained a one movie story.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

And I'm being generous.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen

Last edited by Crystal Clear; 03-30-2020 at 07:10 PM
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Time for update! Happy April Fool's Day This isn't a fool, it's time for a new movie monthly genre change.

April - FANTASY
Drama | Mystery | Action | Comedy

Please, post your reviews in here for the month of April if you watch any movies relating to this genre (and any of the 4 sub-genres).

Happy viewing!
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-05-2020, 05:24 PM
Extreme Fan

Please add me to the participants list. Thanks!

JUMANJI: THE NEXT LEVEL (2019)

FANTASY ~ Action | Comedy

Quote:
{The Sequel to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle} The gang is back but the game has changed. As they return to rescue one of their own, the players will have to brave parts unknown from arid deserts to snowy mountains, to escape the world's most dangerous game.

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why? I liked it a lot overall. In fact, dare I say I enjoyed it more than "Welcome to the Jungle"? Okay, yes, I do dare say it. It was funnier, more engaging, the CGI seemed to get an upgrade, and oddly at times, I thought it was emotional and sweet too. I enjoyed the introduction of Danny DeVito and Danny Glover as Eddie and Milo.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why? There wasn't a whole lot I didn't like. The main complaint I have is that I forgot stuff from the last film (hey, in my defense; it's been a year since I saw WTTJ!) that was important to the continuity of the story, so watching the movie today, I was a little lost at first. It's definitely not a standalone kind of deal. Everything builds onto what came before it. You have to watch all 3 movies in short order or you really won't know what's going on.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why? It's hard to choose because I like most of the characters, but I'll go with Professor Oberon. Jack Black is clearly just having a ball playing the role and it shows. He is a talented comedian -- a chameleon who appears to become whichever character he may be playing at the time.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why? I wasn't too fond of Ming. I don't know why exactly, but it took me a long time to warm up to the character and to the actress.

+ Comments: I recommend it... if you've already watched Welcome to the Jungle and also the original movie with Robin Williams (RIP!). The original is by far my favorite, but Next Level is highly entertaining in its own right. I personally have such fond memories from my childhood of the elementary school librarian reading to us every week from the picture book that the franchise is based on. It makes me feel a bit nostalgic at times.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars? 3.5/5 or close to it
dh23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Please add me to the participants list. Thanks!
Done. Welcome to the thread! Great reviews so far

SLIDING DOORS (1997)

FANTASY ~ Drama | Mystery

The duality of two Helens' lives really worked well as opposites and then seamlessly blurring into each other's realities. It kept the viewer hooked on the mystery of what was going on - was it supernatural? Or just a fantasy scenario of "what if?" (turns out the latter, and it works so well.)

Jeanne Tripplehorn's character is irritating. She overstayed her welcome, and was used merely as a tool to ruin Helen/Jerry in both realities despite Jerry only truly loving Helen.

I think John Lynch's Jerry was the comedic relief that the movie needed.

I can understand why many female viewers wouldn't like him (he's kind of like the softer version of Hugh Grant's womanizing character in BRIDGET JONES) but you find yourself feeling sorry for him when you realize he's emotionally trapped himself in this love tangle between Helen and this vicious ex who intimidates him into staying with her until she gets herself pregnant, whereby she knows he can't leave her. By the end of the movie, you do feel that he knows he's made a terrible mistake but it's too little, too late for Helen who's lost their baby in a tragic accident and (understandably) can't forgive him.

Jerry is kind of the walking/talking example in the movie of what happens when you do something to hurt someone you love and you don't know how to get out of it. His actions are flawed but you almost sympathize at the same time.

I like characters such as Jerry who own up to the fact that they aren't perfect but don't know how to make things right. It's more realistic than someone like James who is portrayed as the ~perfect~ guy.

I just remembered her name in time for this question Lydia (Jeanne Tripplehorn). She's manipulative, cruel, lacking in compassion and uses sex as a weapon. NOT the type of character who you root for the man to choose.

Say what you will about Jerry, but it was made very obvious that Lydia acknowledged she wasn't the one for him, yet she ends up using a pregnancy to trap him.

+ Comments:

A good exploration of the psyche of a woman whose life splits in two and you get a "what if I did or didn't catch the train that day?" divided journey. It's the type of question that relates to any person, and poses all the possibilities concerning relationships, work and destiny.

If I had any complaints (other than the ones I've already said about Lydia , it would be that John Hannah's character was presented as this dream boat who was free of flaws. Just too good to be true. Even when he's exposed as liar, he gets to explain himself in a way that once again makes him this Prince who was destined for Helen. Plus, I wasn't too fond on her meeting him right at the end in her other reality. Way too convenient and took the fantasy genre a step too far.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-08-2020, 06:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)

FANTASY ~ Drama | Mystery | Action

The duality between Voldemort and Harry
+
The fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore

Both are specific ways of a) showing conflict through visual summations of character journeys and b) proving the line can blur between 'light' and 'dark' concepts.

The Harry and Cho relationship is just thrown away as if one little disagreement can ruin everything... It seemed lazily handled to me and was disappointing, given we know from from the previous movie that Harry was crazy about her.

Why would Harry of all people give up on a chance at love so easily and not even listen to her side of things?

Sirius Black, because he always thinks one step ahead.

You can tell he adores Harry as his family, but he's constantly planning out things in his mind and everything is foreshadowing i.e. "we'll be together again" - he foresees his death as part of a bigger plan and is willing to do whatever it takes to protect Harry.

Cho - not because I don't like her, but because she was lazily handled in the story.
+
Dolores - what an awful person! Violent, ruthless, self-centered and abusive.

+ Comments:

This film still gets a full 5 star rating from me, even though the Cho aspects should've been sharper and more from her POV.

The conflict between Harry and Voldemort makes things really interesting and darkly rich. The moments where you see Voldemort in dream scenarios - at a train station, wearing a suit or hoodie... It's like they're showing you the Tom Riddle side of him. The person who he possessed and the person who Harry could become if he gives into the dark side of himself. He's always on the verge of doing this, particularly through grief over Cedric, and it's well performed by Daniel Radcliffe.

Also, I love that Harry and Remus are the ones focused on when Sirius dies. The two people closest to Sirius are there when he dies, and I feel that was important. I just wish we could have had a scene of them talking about it together, like Harry and Dumbledore did.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-10-2020, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)

FANTASY ~ Mystery | Action

The backstory of Voldemort as Tom Riddle
+
The growing relationship between Harry/Hermione/Ron

You have the dramatic stuff with Tom, and the comedic stuff with the Slytherin vs Grffindor battles that really brings good balance to the themes of the movie and keeps you entertained with exciting shifts in character focus.

Oh, and I like the continuity of Harry speaking parcel-tongue to the snake (from the first film) and him finding out from Hermione and Ron in this one that he's able to speak a different language. It seems to immediately create tension between him and Ron, which works dramatically - Ron being envious and Harry being fearful of his powers.

I wouldn't say I was bored at any point, but the pacing does drag a little in places.

The section with Christian Coulson as Tom Riddle is not long enough. Plus, I kinda wish that more characters than Harry got to see him as this version. It provides a level of sympathy that we don't really get with the Half-Blood Prince flashes. The actor (Coulson) gives a really gripping performance as someone who is self-assured and slick when trying to convince Harry that things happen for a reason.

Gilderoy Lockhart is a breath of fresh air. You constantly question his motives but he comes across as someone who is aiming too high for his abilities and really naive about everything. Perfectly played by Kenneth Branagh and with great comedy timing

Draco is just going around sneering at everyone He comes across as bratty and his attempts to bully Hermione and Ron just feel attention-seeking - as if he wants to prove himself to his father but knows he isn't on that level of darkness and is deep down still questioning everything

+ Comments:

A really fun movie, with undertones of the darkness to come with Voldemort in the later installments. Really sets the tone for how you can create a Harry Potter movie that appeals to both kids and adults. The mix of the school scenes with the under layer of Tom kidnapping Ginny to lure Harry to him was really well done.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 04-27-2020, 08:24 PM
Extreme Fan

I love your reviews, Crystal Clear. This is such a cool thread!
Old 04-30-2020, 03:41 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
I love your reviews, Crystal Clear. This is such a cool thread!
Thank you! Feel free to post your own anytime you want.

I will be back later to post my review for The Rise of Skywalker just before a new month kicks in
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-04-2020, 08:00 PM
Extreme Fan

May's mystery month right? I think I know some movies I might watch for it!
Old 05-22-2020, 01:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
May's mystery month right? I think I know some movies I might watch for it!
It sure is hope you can pop back in soon to share your watches!
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-22-2020, 01:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I'm really late with this (it's from last month's category) but had it saved and ready to post so here it is :

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

FANTASY ~ Action

Anything, and I mean anything with Adam Driver in it. He elevated every scene he was in. He's been the saving grace of the trilogy, really.

Bloated, slow-paced, focused on side characters more than the Rey-Kylo dynamic which truly hurts the point of the Skywalker focus, oh and Rey taking the Skywalker name just 5 minutes after Ben Solo sacrificed himself... Yeah I've had ongoing issues with this and will talk more about it in the Star Wars thread. It just undoes everything that her character had going for her, particularly the way that the scene plays out.

Ben Solo. I've said it earlier but Adam Driver really does take the movie and make it his own.

Palpatine was definitely not my least favourite character but his potential was totally wasted and why the does he not move from the underground cave when he steals Rey and Kylo's power???

Least favourite might be Finn. At this point, I just don't see the point of him. He exists merely to serve as Rey's lapdog, and that is proven in how he repeatedly shouts her name for no important reason. Reyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

+ Comments:

The kiss scene was lovely. Ben Solo was the true unsung hero of the movie/entire story and that's why his death sucks - he deserved a chance at life. As a Skywalker Saga ender, I don't think this really lives up to its potential, unfortunately. I still hate that the Jedi talk to Rey but not Ben. She's treated as the sole protagonist in this sense, which ignores the importance of their Dyad Force bond.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

- Reminder to everyone that MAY is the Mystery month!

Blind Corner (2019)

MYSTERY ~ Drama | Thriller | Crime

The twist that the 'lover' Rickie (or should I say ONE of them) ends up helping the husband rather than staying loyal to his passion for the twisted leading lady.

The arrest scene could've had more of a dramatic impact. Once the husband reveals himself to the wife, her arrest scene is so quick... I felt it deserved more - that she deserved more of a verbal punishment for her despicable behavior.

Rickie. There was more to him than meets the eye. Having an affair with a married woman is wrong of course, but Anne was the married one. Once she says she wants to kill her husband, you can see an immediate sense of disgust in Rickie's eyes. He knows she's not who he once thought he wanted.

Anne. She's the epitome of despicable.

+ Comments:

Gripping thriller about how a bored married woman will do whatever she can for money.

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-22-2020, 05:30 PM
Extreme Fan

I have never heard of Blind Corner but I'm intrigued I need to figure out what to watch for this month.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Morning Show Mysteries: A Murder in Mind (2019)

Quote:
Billie Blessings searches for the real killer when her friend is accused of murder.
+ What did you like best about the movie? Why? I liked the twists and turns. I was literally assuming every non-regular character was the one whodunnit. I liked seeing Teryl Rothery in the movie. She's such a good actress. Whenever she pops up in something I'm watching, I literally squee. I loved Ian and Billie finally made some forward movement in their burgeoning relationship (but can they like, kiss already, or what?!).

+ What did you like least about the film? Why? There was a little bit of a confusing explanation behind the murder but other than that, I thought the movie was groovy.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why? Of course, there's the lead Billie. Holly Robinson Peete is really good in the role. Quite convincing. I am drawn to Ian more and more. He's becoming less stiff and slowly becoming one of my favorites. I also love the kitchen staff and the cute little doggie Feathers.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why? Derek. Eww. He was just not a very compelling character and the actor … well, let's just say he was not very convincing.

+ Comments: I liked this film much better than the first 2 in the series. I can't wait to watch more of the movies. This is currently a top contender for best Hallmark mystery movie series actively running right now.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars? 4/5
Old 05-31-2020, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

I agree with pretty much all of this! Basically every movie they do together ends up being epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clear (View Post)
HORROR/COMEDY - Hot Fuzz (2007)

The parody take on THE WICKER MAN, but how convincing all of the actors were in being scary - particularly the older generation, such as Edward Woodward and Timothy Dalton, who were not known for playing bad guys until this point.

Cannot think of a flaw with this movie, but if I had to be completely nick-picky, I would've liked to have seen Cate Blanchett's character who dated Nicholas Angel (Simon Pegg) in the beginning of the movie, return at a later stage and try to win him back and see how he handles that.

The two Andys (played by Rafe Spall and Paddy Considine) were brilliant together. One of the best movie duo acts of all time.

Nicholas Angel. Unbelievably strong, intuitive, brave and selfless. He follows his convictions even when people lack faith in him. A movie hero for our times

+ Comments:

My favorite movie in the Cornetto trilogy of Pegg/Frost/Wright combinations. It is entertaining from start to finish and surprisingly moving for a horror/comedy.

{taek su mi sun}
fall into your smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread