Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

Their Eyes Were Watching God (2005) #1

What do you all think of this move? I personally think that won’t be good based on Oprah’s track record. Don’t get me wrong, I love Oprah but she has a bad habit of taking excellent books, specifically in black literature and making them into horrible movies.
The Wedding, the women of Brewster place, and the worst one of them all Beloved. Loved all those books hated the movies.

Now, I think Their Eyes Were Watching God could be a great movie but it deserves a lot of care and compassion. For starters it shouldn’t be a TV movie! Hello, it’s made to be on the big screen. Also, the cast- I think Halle Barry and Ruby Dee are excellent choices. But I like Michael Ealy but he is not Tea Cake, in my humble opinion.

Anyways- what do you all think?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

When does it air?

Mulder/Scully, Peter/Wendy, House/Cameron, Jack/Kate, Erik/Christine, Clark/Lois, Doctor/Rose, Doctor/Jack, Doctor/Rose/Jack
Leli1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Loyal Fan

Some time in March?

I hope this movie does well. I like Halle Berry, and she needs to rebound from her last few projects.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Fan

the movie looks sexy in my opinion.
ScorpioGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Master Fan

It comes on March 6 at 9/8 c.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Elite Fan

The previews left me with mixed feelings. I don't usually go for films like this but I really want to see Halle Berry involved with a good story, which I'm assuming the movie will have.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Passionate Fan

The previews made it look pretty steamy to me. I'm not a big Halle Berry fan though so I won't be watching.
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Master Fan

This is from bet.com

Quote:
Watching “God” is a Pleasure
By Esther Iverem, Contributing Critic

Posted on March 4, 2005 -- Zora Neale Hurston’s lush, seamless 1937 novel, “Their Eyes Were Watching God,” (Amistad Books, $13.95) is especially not suited for the cruel commercial interruptions of broadcast television. Nonetheless, a movie based on the book, premiering this Sunday, March 6, at 9 p.m. on ABC, retains enough of Hurston’s Southern magical realism, deep empathy for Black women and powerful love story to make this production a milestone for both Black film and television.

The movie is remarkable for its depiction of hot Black romance and sexuality. But it would be an understatement, as well as a cliché, to say that sparks fly between the movie’s star, Halle Berry, and the last of her three husbands in the movie, played by Michael Ealy. These two can burn down the bed, and their chemistry is what makes the movie rise above the restrictions of its format and at least touch the level of Hurston’s ebullient narrative.

“Their Eyes Were Watching God,” rescued from out-of-print status during the 1970’s flowering of the Black Studies movement, tells the story of Janie Crawford (Halle Berry), a Black girl who grows up poor in rural Western Florida but never gives up on the idea that life should be filled with deep, abiding love. Janie lives with Nanny (Ruby Dee), her grandmother, who, fearing that the teen-ager is starting to kiss boys, marries her off to an elderly farmer, Logan Killicks, who has “60 acres” of land, and therefore can offer his young wife a step up in life. A weepy Janie takes this step up, but then soon finds herself stepping out on the old man. She runs away and marries Joe Starks (Ruben Santiago-Hudson), who, in the story, becomes the mayor, principal landowner and businessman of Eatonville, Fla., the first African American town to be founded and incorporated in the United States (and also Hurston’s hometown.)

In her second marriage, Janie finds the higher social standing and wealth that Nanny always wanted for her. In the beginning she is showered with love, and then later, only showered with possessions. She realizes over the course of 20 years that she is also a possession. She is the mayor’s trophy wife who is kept in her place—only a more highfalutin place. As fate would have it, life offers Janie yet another chance at love and a fuller definition of living. She meets Vergible “Tea Cake’ Woods (Ealy), a migrant laborer, with a taste for gambling and liquor, who is much younger. Janie cannot pass up this chance to see if she can, at last, find a fulfilling love.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers
It comes on March 6 at 9/8 c.
Ah man I missed it
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread