Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2020, 11:02 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I'm not a fan of this film having a hate crime take place in the opening scene. I'm finally getting around to watching the movie though. The domestic violence I wasn't expecting to see, but it has been a while, since I I've watched the 1990 version. Thankfully I found that on DVD to see another time.

Last edited by canflam; 07-25-2020 at 11:11 PM
canflam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:37 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
I'm not a fan of this film having a hate crime take place in the opening scene. I'm finally getting around to watching the movie though. The domestic violence I wasn't expecting to see, but it has been a while, since I I've watched the 1990 version. Thankfully I found that on DVD to see another time.
Are you referring to the bullying of Mike Hanlon? (It's been a while since I've seen it, so the only thing I remember happening in the opening was Georgie's death).

I really liked the young and adult actors for Mike in the 1990 version. I just watched the recent Chapter 2 and hated the bland portrayal/script for Mike in that one.

Overall I just didn't like the recent movies. (I really did try.)

As uncomfortable as the hate crimes are to watch, I do feel that it's one of the storylines that Stephen King most accurately captured about the 50's. Even though I hate watching race war depictions in general
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Are you referring to the bullying of Mike Hanlon? (It's been a while since I've seen it, so the only thing I remember happening in the opening was Georgie's death).
I think this might be in reference to IT: Chapter Two's opening, when a Gay couple is targeted and one murdered.
B ē tt ⓨ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 01:41 AM

Yeah. That was it.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:51 AM
Master Fan

I loved the new adaptations. The one thing that was always lacking in the 1990 one was that it was made for TV, so now swearing and violence to a minimum.

These new ones are more raw, gritty and realistic.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:51 AM

I didn't mind that, because I don't enjoy hearing particularly children use profanity. It happens in "Stranger Things" also in the little of that show that I've seen at this time.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by B ē tt ⓨ (View Post)
These new ones are more raw, gritty and realistic.
I was sadly underwhelmed by both movies. They lacked subtlety, relied too much on CGI, had the loser gang act far too noisy/confident in reaction to the bullies and made me appreciate the down-to-earth vibe of the 1990 version more.

Chapter 2 was just bizarre to me... It was so boring. Plus, I felt like I was watching a mix of CGI visuals of every type of horror movie except IT. Pennyface sometimes looked like a shark and the zombies made me think of Pet Sematary. Also, Jessica Chastain's acting was so bland, I was shocked.

Plus, I say again: WHY the Bill/Beverly kiss? It's so unnecessary and takes away from significance of Ben finally being appreciated by her in the end.

Overall, I felt the chemistry/performances in the 1990 adaptation of both the young and adult cast was very strong, and the glue holding the plot together. I sadly didn't care for most of the characters' fates in the newer versions because I wasn't really convinced by their friendships.

The greaser bullies in the 1990 version were more believable to me than the new one. I remember loving that scene in the 1990 version where they confront the loser gang and get chased away by them throwing stones; great scene.

I'm happy for everyone who likes the new ones but I'm not one of them, unfortunately.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-24-2020, 04:04 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I only saw the new "IT" movies. I really liked the first one, but I've only seen the sequel once and just thought it was okay from what I remember. The first film is much better.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:21 PM

The original's cast is terrific & certainly if you are able to come across it cheap on DVD it's worth picking up I'd say. It's on VHS too if you happen to own a VCR.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

Any time somebody says that the 1990 mini-series is inferior because it's not as gutsy or creepy as the newer ones, I immediately think of this scene where Henry Bowers and his gang sexually harass Beverly and think "y'all need to pay more attention because the 1990 version had balls!" Here's a GIF of the scene I mean -
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 05-09-2021, 04:36 PM

Well, it was a miniseries also on network T.V., things put in a film on the big screen based on that book were not unsurprisingly in this version.

Last edited by canflam; 05-09-2021 at 05:27 PM
Old 05-09-2021, 04:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

The recent films were too CGI heavy for my liking. I didn't even find Skarsgard's Pennywise scary. He looked comical to me. I thought Tim Curry came off as creepier because he played the role like an actual guy in a clown suit who was using jokes to lure kids in. It seemed more realistic to me.

The 1990 mini-series may have been tamer in essence, but I still think the performances and the gang vs loser club scenes were better done and had more chemistry.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 08-29-2021, 03:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I re-watched Chapter One --

It drives me insane how they handled the Pennywise 'scares'. Whenever a kid visualizes him, it's like a copy of a chase/death scene from the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise.

A reason why I couldn't get on board with these movies is because fans talk as if it had such original ideas. On the contrary, I saw it as something that repeated various 80's movies just like the 'Stranger Things' Netflix show.

Also, the way it ends on a romantic note for Bill and Beverly is totally off-putting. Ben is shamefully made to look like a third wheel nearly the whole run time.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Old 09-15-2022, 05:42 AM
Master Fan

I'm really excited for this!

HBO Max will tell us Pennywise’s origin story in an IT prequel series
Old 09-15-2022, 10:10 PM
Cardcaptor Queen

I feel like people are just making too many forced prequels and sequels lately, I don't get Hollywood lately lol.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread