Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Loyal Fan

I've been quite fortunate to see great movies with gay themes in the...

These are the list of those movies that I simply [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] :

1) High Art
2) Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
3) Bedrooms and Hallways
4) Love and Other Catastrophes
5) Gods and Monsters
6) The Bird Cage
Old 06-14-2003, 05:22 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG> Anyway, throughout the history of movies this has been an interesting topic. For a good reference film, see The Celluloid Closet, which deals with this very topic (and talks about a lot of different classic films).</STRONG>
Yes, this is a good film. It looks into movies like Rebecca and Ben-Hur and the underlying (or sometimes not so underlying) gay subtext.

I will always recommend Gods and Monsters as a great movie to watch, Ian McKellen is stunning as ever. Philadelphia gets me every time - Tom Hanks is amazing in that movie, it's powerful and well-acted.

Other gay characters that have interested me in movies:

William H Macy in Magnolia
Greg Kinnear in As Good as it Gets
Al Pacino in Dog Day Afternoon

I didn't like Priscilla at all, although it seems to have quite a following - check out Jeffery and Beautiful Thing - the latter has an excellent soundtrack, using tracks by the Mamas and the Papas.
I can ride you at a gallop till your legs buckle and your eyes roll up. I've got muscles you've never even dreamed of. I could squeeze you until you pop like warm champagne and you'd beg me to hurt you just a little bit more.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Philadelphia - great movie, fabulous Tom Hanks
Chasing Amy - good one
The Birdcage - nice one
In & Out - very funny...

----------------------------------------------
Keep hope alive!
Old 06-18-2003, 01:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hey, anyone here seen The Wedding Banquet? It was sort of like La Cage Aux Folles, only with an Asian twist. Pretty sweet and makes you really think in the end. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 06-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>What a shame we seem to have lost the old thread. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, throughout the history of movies this has been an interesting topic. For a good reference film, see The Celluloid Closet, which deals with this very topic (and talks about a lot of different classic films).

Thankfully the Gay/Lesbian community has come together enough to feed it's own genre. That is, there are many gay/lesbian film festivals throughout the country, showing a wide variety of well-made films. You can probably find out about them from your local library.

What specifically are you interested in? If I knew a little more, I might be able to recommend some films... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I loved this post. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I wasn't really looking for something in particular. It's just I've seen about 20 movies that are about gays and lesbians and I thought maybe there are some more that I haven't seen and are really good. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I've seen the Celluloid Closet. Loved how they talked about the old movies and such and also that they talked with the actors and actresses. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I loved But I'm a cheerleader! It's so funny cos there are really people who think you can "cure" from gay to straigth. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] Also the stereotypes of the butch dyke and ****** was kinda funny in it even though in other contexts it would be degrading towards the gay community.

Kissing Jessica Stein was cheesy but good. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I still need to see Election. [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img] Will work on that one. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Mulholland Drive is nice but confusing. I did like it though.

High art was a wonderful movie! With the drugs storyline mixed into it. Brilliant!

Boys don't cry was so sad! [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] That movie was so great and the worst part of it was that it was based on a true story.

Love and other catastrophes was cute. The lesbian storyline wasn't the main thing so that was wonderfully done.

The object of my effection, hm, was an ok movie I guess. Not one of my favorite movies though.

Wild Things is just wow! I so [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Neve Campbell. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Chasing Amy was ok, but I'm just a fan of Kevin Smith so I basically like all his movies. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Jeffrey and Beautiful thing are good too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Haven't seen the wedding banquet..yet. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Lost and delirious is also one of my favorite movies. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] so sad though.

Show me love is very cute. So is Get Real.

Bound is also great. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Gotta love Gina Gershon. Same thing for Showgirls.

Hm, I saw Femme Fatale recently. It didn't really have a gay/lesbian theme but Rebecca Samijn-Stamos does make out with a girl in it. I posted some pics on the Gay thread on the Fan Forum Community board. I could also post them here if anyone wants to see them.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:04 PM
Obsessed Fan

some of my fave gay/lesbian movies/themes

Rites of Passage- [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] I [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] this movie. Jason Behr does a wonderful job playing the role of a gay man (Campbell Farley) whose father has trouble understanding. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

Aimee & Jaguar- A true story about the love of two women during WWII in Berlin. One the wife of a Nazi soldier, the other a Jew. I still haven't seen the last 15 minutes though.

Lost & Delirious- One of the best lesbian movies I have ever seen. This movie has so much irony it's not even funny. I have seen it at least 35 times and am still finding new subtext. It's by far a must see. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Wild Things- [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Not really gay themed, but realllllly good movie. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

And i can't remember the rest. But i'll come back as soon as i do. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2003, 02:50 PM
Passionate Fan

What is with the lack of mention of "Better Than Chocolate"! Which is probably one of the most accurate portrayls of lesbianism and comedy! That movie frikken rocks!

"The truth about Jane" is a great film dealing with parents attitudes to their child coming out.

The GLBT community puts out so many great films each year, and very truthful and accurate ones as well as comical.

Check out www.tvandfilmgrrl.com there is a great listing of lesbian or bisexual influence on film, and tv in there.

-nik
She's my alien.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Nameless One*:
<STRONG>What is with the lack of mention of "Better Than Chocolate"! Which is probably one of the most accurate portrayls of lesbianism and comedy! That movie frikken rocks!
Check out www.tvandfilmgrrl.com there is a great listing of lesbian or bisexual influence on film, and tv in there.

-nik</STRONG>
Ooh, I've heard of that movie! My Spanish teacher was talking about that, lol.

Thanks for the link Nikki. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2003, 04:52 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by *Nameless One*:
<STRONG>What is with the lack of mention of "Better Than Chocolate"! Which is probably one of the most accurate portrayls of lesbianism and comedy! That movie frikken rocks!</STRONG>
Yes this is a very good little film. I've seen it here In OZ on tv a couple times - SBS puts it on at like 1am sporadically. It is definately one of the better lesbian comedies - the whole thing with the mum & the drag queen....love that song 'I'm not a f.uckin drag queen' [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2003, 07:42 AM
Absolute Fan

oh yeah, Rites of Passage.

I find it hard to watch that movie just cause I can't really "Behr" to see Jason kissing a guy...*shudder*...especially when you are a Roswell freak

Isn't it about time someone saved your life?
Old 06-24-2003, 09:38 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by fatecreator:
<STRONG>oh yeah, Rites of Passage.

I find it hard to watch that movie just cause I can't really "Behr" to see Jason kissing a guy...*shudder*...especially when you are a Roswell freak</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] i know myself as a BIG Roswell lover that, that one scene kinda snuck up on me w/ Jason and that one other guy. I was suprised [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] and then the whole story fell into place and now i [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2003, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

There have been many great movies listed here. I'd reccommend "Tales of the City". It's not actually a movie. It's a miniseries based on the novels of Armistead Maupin.

They're excellent. Funny, dramatic, surprising. It was just great. You should be able to find it at Blockbuster, or whatever.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:56 PM
Passionate Fan

Sundance channel this month is putting out a lot of gay/lesbian theme movies in support of gay pride month. If you have the channel check some out!

-nik
She's my alien.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:17 PM
Master Fan

The only movie with a gay theme in it that i've seen is "If these walls could talk". it was ok. not my type of movie tho [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2003, 07:14 PM
Passionate Fan

Thats because "If these walls could talk 2" wasn't a movie, it was a corralation of 3 short films. There is a difference. Sit down and watch a movie sometime. If you're not into art, then short films aren't thing thing for you.
She's my alien.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread