Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

DIG! - An Interloper Film!!

Ok, I was reading about this documentary, and it's definitely a "must see!"

DIG! is the feature-length documentary shot over seven years about musicians Anton Newcombe, leader of The Brian Jonestown Massacre, and Courtney Taylor, head of The Dandy Warhols - star-crossed friends and bitter rivals. From the moment they met, The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre quickly bonded over a desire to not conform to the tastes of the recording industry. Yet the bands' choices over how to express their creativity and originality in a profit-driven industry eventually put them at irreconcilable odds

Culled from 1,500 hours of footage and narrated by Courtney Taylor, DIG! follows the underground giant Anton Newcombe, unearthing him to be an important yet largely unnoticed artist of our time.

DIG! is about both musicians' love and obsession, gigs and recordings, arrests and death threats, uppers and downers - their choices between art and industry, which unfold with the passage of time.

DIG! will debut as a collectible 2-DVD set . The first DVD includes the film and features a special interactive viewing experience allowing the viewer to watch deleted scenes in the context of the film. Also included on the first disc are commentary tracks with both bands and the filmmakers. The second bonus DVD contains over 2 hours of additional unseen material including deleted scenes, "where are they now?" updates, performance videos, Dandy Warhols videos, footage from MTV's Subterranean, and much more! In their highly informative and often comedic commentary tracks, each band reunites to view DIG! together for the first time … reliving their exploits, melees, drug abuse, and conflicts, even sometimes finding resolution...

Anyway, I've never seen a documentary like this one before, and with good bands!!!. And I'm so interested in this one, that I already pre-ordered it at amazon.com. Because the dvd is hitting the stores on April 12th ...

Have any of you seen it before? I also saw it was the winner of grand jury prize of Sundance film festival, last year.....

hotpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds awesome. I'm a music lover so the description really got my attention. I couldn't buy it right now but I'll look out for it in rental places. Thanks for the heads up on this!

Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpop
Have any of you seen it before? I also saw it was the winner of grand jury prize of Sundance film festival, last year.....

hi....it's a great film....i was lucky enough to have see 'dig!' in a theater last year.......it's one of the best music documentaries that i've seen........i've been looking for the dvd to rent & rip for awhile......thanks for the release date....both of the bands in the film are great.......anton newcombe is from my home town, newport beach...years ago he used to play at the cuckoo's nest....a punk club that no longer exists in costa mesa, ca (the oc)....he's musically talented but a complete ass when he's drunk or loaded............by all means either rent the dvd or buy it........here's another poster for your thread.......

if your into music documentaries....i'm going to recommend 2 more that you might enjoy......i saw both of these films in a theater as well....they both deal with the making of an album by a band, the personnel squabbles within the bands, the personnel changes, within the band, while their recording the albums and the ins and outs of the music industry....i rate them both .....

the first one is 'metallica: some kind of monster'....it's available now as a 2 set dvd...and as a rental..........the film is 2 hours and 15 minutes long....but it never drags.....

and the second film is 'i'm trying to break your heart'....it's about the band wilco......this dvd might be a little bit harder to find....although i believe that one of the mods to this board found it on netflix a year or two ago.....

mukooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Addicted Fan

I've wanted to see this for a while but never got around to renting it. I love the Dandy Warhols.

icon credit
alli balli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread