Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM
New Fan

Classic Film/Hollywood History Thread

I love a good film classic. And since I saw D.W. Griffith's Birth of A Nation, which admittedly was hard to swallow, I have been interested in film history and classic film in general.

the marketing company I work for recently picked up a campaign for TCM's upcoming series of documentaries, Moguls and Moviestars - The History of Hollywood.

The 7 part series explores the Movie Dynasty, from it’s conception, to the ups and downs of creating the film industry we have today. Each installment features rare footage, and photographs of the people that started it all. Also interviews with distinguished historians and major Hollywood figures: Sidney Lumet, Richard Zanuck,and Samuel Goldwyn Jr., just to name a few.

The series of Documentaries will be narrated by Christopher Plummer, the award winning actor we all love from films like the Sound of Music. Each documentary will be followed by the respective film that represents each Hollywood era, from 1890’s silent movie to Peepshow Pioneers, to Fade-in, Fade-Out of the 1970’s.

Any others on Fan Forum who love the medium planning on checking this out?

To check out the site here is the link:
TCM Moguls and Movie Stars

Let's get a neat thread going about the documentary and classic film you guys have loved over the years.

As I mentioned Singin' in the Rain is one of my favorites as it served as a lighthearted trip into an even earlier era of film(the transition between silent and talkies), and as a truly funny musical (make em laugh is still one of the best/funniest musical scenes in my opinion in film history).

What are you guys' favorites?
Comedyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Elite Fan

Hi!

Most of the movies I watch are from 1930's - 50's. My favorite movie of all time is The Philadelphia Story. Kate Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart are my favorite actor and actress. My 2nd favorite would have to be Rear Window. Hitchcock is my favorite director.
zazie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:06 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazie87 (View Post)
Hi!

Most of the movies I watch are from 1930's - 50's. My favorite movie of all time is The Philadelphia Story. Kate Hepburn and Jimmy Stewart are my favorite actor and actress. My 2nd favorite would have to be Rear Window. Hitchcock is my favorite director.
Rear window was amazing! I say The 39 Steps was a better film artistically, but I loved Jimmy Stewart's performance.

I have never seen The Philadelphia Story, but I plan on rectifying that now that you have mentioned it as a great classic.
Comedyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Elite Fan

I saw so many Jimmy Stewart movies, it would be hard for me to make just my top 10.

I haven't seen The 39 Steps yet. List of Hitchcock movies that I saw:
- Rebecca
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Lifeboat
- Spellbound
- Notorious
- Rope
- Stage Fright
- Stranger on a Train
- I Confess
- Dial M For Murder
- Rear Window
- To Catch a Thief
- The Man Who Knew Too Much
- The Wrong Man
- Vertigo
- North By Northwest
- Psycho
- The Birds

The ones that I made bold are my favorites.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazie87 (View Post)

I think we have similar tastes then. Although I enjoy films from all eras, the 30s & 40s seem to have the most vintage classics that appeal to me. And Hitchcock is also a favorite of mine. My favorite Hitchcock film would be a tie between Shadow of A Doubt and Rear Window.

Even though there were some fabulous dramas and thrillers from the 30s & 40s, I have a real soft spot for the zany, screwball classics from that period. Some of my favorite comedy classics are:

-You Can't Take it With You ('38)
-It Happened One Night ('39)
-Arsenic & Old Lace ('44)
-It Started with Eve ('41)
-Easy Living ('37) The food fight scene is a real classic
-The Devil & Miss Jones ('41)
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoobygang (View Post)
-You Can't Take it With You ('38)
-It Happened One Night ('39)
-Arsenic & Old Lace ('44)
-It Started with Eve ('41)
-Easy Living ('37) The food fight scene is a real classic
-The Devil & Miss Jones ('41)
I love the 1st 2. I love Capra's movies. I didn't really like Arsenic & Old Lace, but maybe I should give it another try.
Thanks for recommending the Jean Harlow movies. I love her and I didn't see those 2 yet.

My favorite comedies are:

- My Man Godfrey (Carole Lombard is sooo awesome)
- The Thin Man series (Myrna Loy and William Powell are my favorite on screen couple, I also love Love Crazy, The Libeled Lady and I Love You Again)
- Bringing Up Baby
- Lady Eve
- Ball Of Fire
- The Palm Beach Story
- Bluebeard's Eight Wife
- The Awful Truth
- His Girl Friday
- Adam's Rib
- To Be Or Not To Be
- The Mad Miss Manton

There's more, but those are all that I can think of at the moment.
Reply   Post New Thread