Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Elite Fan

Actors Who Never Made A Bad Movie #1

Can you name one? My boy and I were talking it up at Hooters the other night and we have effectively eliminated just about any actor. We only covered actors at this point, no actresses. No one has measured up yet. Soem criteria does apply, we call it the Keanu rule, basically you're judged on your track record, if you make crap movies ie Keanu, your margin for error is smaller, since if a scale of 1-10 puts your movies at a 4, you don't have to put up mega hits each time, so Keanu clears most movies, but then you see Point Break and you say damn, you suck! So, with that you take someone like Sean Connery, love him,... loved him as King Arthur,.. but First Knight was abit of crap,... off goes Connery. Get it? And so, we have eliminated everyone we could possible think of. Of course, this is opinionated 100%, as some people think The Grudge was great, others think it is crap, so we go with a general concensus on a movie.

The last to fall from our lists, don't laugh, we had a drunken final four after 5 hours, the 4 were Michael Douglas, Ving Rhames, John Cusack and Kevin Bacon, but the following day each was kicked to the curb with crap like Night At McCools, Mission Impossible, Being John Malkovich, and Tremors. Just that simple! lmao. Anyway, find us someone who has NEVER made a bad movie. Role might be great, but movie sucked, he's gone. Must be in at least 5 movies, one hit wonders need not apply
Old 03-25-2005, 07:36 PM
Elite Fan

Ohhh, this is a tough one! I have to think about it and then comeback with a contribution.

I actually thought of Orlando Bloom but I thin Ned Kelly got mild reviews and I haven't seen it.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

As for my personal feelings...I think pretty much any actor has probably made one bad movie sometime...but my all-time fav. actor is Tom Hanks, & I find I like most of his B-List movies (most of his early '80s ones), just b/c he's in them, lol.
goodbreakingbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Total Fan

I can honestly say that I have loved every single movie Johnny Depp has been in. I can't think of one that I disliked. There are ones, like Secret Window, that I wouldn't consider to be on the top of my favorite list. But I wouldn't consider it a bad movie either. It's hard though because everyone has their own opinion.
I have loved everything with Bruce Willis and Sarah Michelle Gellar as well. Oh and Brad Pitt. At the present moment, I can't think of one bad movie by him. Or by any of them.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Chris, good question and hard one too. Have to think about it also....since I think all actors have made bad movies at least once.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence
I can honestly say that I have loved every single movie Johnny Depp has been in. I can't think of one that I disliked. There are ones, like Secret Window, that I wouldn't consider to be on the top of my favorite list. But I wouldn't consider it a bad movie either. It's hard though because everyone has their own opinion.
I have loved everything with Bruce Willis and Sarah Michelle Gellar as well. Oh and Brad Pitt. At the present moment, I can't think of one bad movie by him. Or by any of them.

Did you see Meet Joe Black? Yeesssss, I did. And IMHO it was terrible. I'm not the only one. Plus that movie he did with Harrison Ford got bad reviews--so I think he's gone.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Im agreeing with Johnny Depp, every movie I have seen him in was pretty good. Not one was real bad at all.
My LJ
AutumnColorsღ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:36 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainstorm18
Im agreeing with Johnny Depp, every movie I have seen him in was pretty good. Not one was real bad at all.

Gates of Hell? or was it Hells Gate? I know of at least 3 other people that were all like dubya tee eff, mate? with that one.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:37 AM
Master Fan

I think, by and large, that Troy is considered to be bad movie, regardless of the fact it did well..so that eliminates Brad Pitt, in my books.

As for Tom Hanks...well, there was Turner & Hooch....

I think its pretty difficult to find the perfect actor...though I agree, Johnny Depp is a pretty good choice

Quote:
Gates of Hell? or was it Hells Gate
The Ninth gate?

Yeah, it was pretty out-there, but I wouldnt say it was completely horrible....

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 08:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

Will Smith.

This is relative considering he isn't as big as other actors, or hasn't been around as long as more established actors (compared to the likes of Harrison Ford; Warren Beatty, et. al).

However, all of Big-Will's movies have done well. From Bad Boys to ID4 to Ali to Hitch. He's never had an actual flop. Hell, "I, Robot" might have sucked as far as a an adaptation goes... But it was actually one of the top box office draws last summer.

---

On a side note, even though Chris said this is a subjective topic... And it is...

The thing with Hollywood is that unless you have bomb after bomb... An actor is still going to get work as long as TPTB think they will bring in ticket sales.

The only major element besides starring in a string of flops that stops an actor from getting work is their age. More than anything else. Hollywood is obsessed with youth and marketing to teens. Hence, agism plays more of a role with who is popular and who is not than actual talent.

Once you hit 30, you are viewed as "over the hill" in the eyes of Hollywood because they figure how is a 15 year old going to relate to someone twice their age? It's erroneous thinking because Hollywood forgets that not only is the actor getting older, but so are his/her fans and the fans' taste in films and what they want to see their favorite actor in will also change with age and maturity as well.

Women, actresses, suffer from this glass cieling more than men, unfortunately. Once a woman hits 25, she is considered "over the hill" and "unattractive" -- Even if she looks like Jordana Brewster -- Because Hollywood doesn't care about longevity. They are looking for the next 16 year old Alexis Bedel they can market to Jim and Johnny 14 year old vs. the 25 year old Jordana Brewster. Again, this is erroneous thinking because the fans of a 25 year old Jordana Brewster are going to be maturing themselves as well and are fare more likely to follow Jordana's career compared to the new engenu's career whom they know nothing about.
UnsilentMajorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Elite Fan

I really enjoy Will Smith. We eliminated him for Wild, Wild West.

One of the topics we glossed over was the "best fatherly figure" or mentor type, and we could only muster up a short list that seem to cover them all, Fishburne, Freeman, Connery, who all seem to take the push for youth and rise above it. Those are few and far between though.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree...Wild, Wild, West was BAD! LOL

What about Denzel?
Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiCkLeS4dAwSoN
my all-time fav. actor is Tom Hanks, & I find I like most of his B-List movies (most of his early '80s ones), just b/c he's in them, lol.
yea, I agree -- all of Tom Hanks' movies have been good. I can't think of 1 that wasn't good...

**Actress^Animal Lover^Flutist^Writer**
amusic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_J_23

What about Denzel?
Devil In THe Blue Dress

Tom Hanks - The Ladykillers, Joe Vs The Volcano
Old 03-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

James Dean! I know he did about three but they were all brilliant

And Tremors is a great movie, if you are looking for that kind of thing, Kevin Bacon was so funny in it, I would throw him off the pile for that crap-fest The Hollow Man.