Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ian in Dog Sees God (Off-Broadway) #2

DOG SEES GOD: CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE BLOCKHEAD

Bert V. Royal (Author), Dede Harris (Producer and Trip Cullman (Director) with cast members Logan Marshall-Green, Eddie Kaye Thomas, America Ferrera, Eliza Dushku, Ari Graynor, Kelli Garner and Keith Nobbs

Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead is written by Bert V. Royal. The spoof of the Charles Schulz comic strip "Peanuts" follows the original gang a decade later as their beloved beagle companion dies. A missing pen pal, an abused pianist, a pyromaniac ex-girlfriend, two drunk cheerleaders, a homophobic quarterback, a burnt out Buddhist and a drama queen sister fill the show's ensemble. Drug use, suicide, eating disorders, teen violence, rebellion, sexual relations and identity are among the issues covered in this drama.

CHARACTERS:
  • CB (Charlie Brown) is the main character in the play. He is intensely saddened over the death of his dog, and is forced to question both his sexuality, and his social status when he unwittingly falls for his classmate Beethoven.
  • CB's Sister (Sally) has gone goth, at least for a portion of the play. It is mentioned that, like her character basis, she changes her philosophy on life often. Her other personas during the course of the play are scripted as thug (called "gansta-bitch" in the script), and hippie.
  • Van (Linus), always the philosopher in childhood, is now a pothead with a worldview to match. He repeatedly attempts to pursue a sexual relationship with CB's Sister.
  • Matt (Pig-Pen) is a pathological germophobe whose dirtiness has been internalized - he's sex-obsessed and homophobic, and terrorizes Beethoven mercilessly. He is also a football player, and is CB's best friend.
  • Beethoven (Schroeder) became the school outcast prior to events in the play when it was revealed that he was sexually abused by his father. A bit of a recluse, Beethoven takes solace in playing the piano, but when he and CB become romantically involved, his world is turned upside down.
  • Tricia (Peppermint Patty), a party girl, who professes herself to be "Pretty" and "Popular". Though never spoken outright in the play, the general consensus is that her last name is York.
  • Marcy (Marcie), a party girl and Tricia's sidekick. She has a threesome with Tricia and Matt during the play.
  • Van's Sister (Lucy) has been institutionalized for setting the Little Red-Haired Girl's hair on fire, and spends the duration of her scene high on Lithium.
Pen Pal - Does not appear in person, but has a key part in the play.
Characters mentioned but not appearing: Franklin, Frieda, Little Red-Haired Girl, Rerun van Pelt, Snoopy, Woodstock

SYNOPSIS
CB and CB's sister have a funeral for their dog, who recently contracted rabies and was put down after killing "a little yellow bird" (implied to be Woodstock) and nearly biting CB. Unfortunately, the funeral ends in failure as they argue over who should say a prayer for him. CB then goes to see his pothead friend Van, asking where people go when they die. Van, who claims to be Buddhist, says that spirits either dissolve away or get reincarnated. The next day at school CB asks his friend Matt where we go when we die. Matt gives him a more detailed explanation, proposing that when we die we return to a vagina, similar to being born, although the vagina does not belong to our mother. Beethoven walks by and Matt calls him a fag.
At lunch Marcy and Tricia tell their friends about an upcoming party at Marcy's house. CB goes to Beethoven's practice room to listen to his music. CB then monologues over his dead dog which irritates Beethoven that in return, Beethoven tells CB about how he can't go through his day without someone bullying him in some sort, and tells CB that "messing around with me" means teasing and other sorts. CB makes a truce with Beethoven to reestablish their friendship. CB sits next to Beethoven while he plays, and then CB kisses Beethoven.
At the party, Matt calls Beethoven a fag again. CB comes to Beethoven's defense and kisses him again, this time in front of everyone. Outside, Beethoven demands an explanation of what happened. CB says he wanted to do that and in return, Beethoven kisses CB. A few days later, Matt, Tricia, Marcy and Van eat lunch together, and are all stunned at what happened. Matt vows to make Beethoven pay for "messing with [his] best friend's head". CB goes to visit Van's sister, who was institutionalized for setting the Little Red-Haired Girl's hair on fire. CB tells her the whole story, also revealing that he and Beethoven had sex after the party.
While Beethoven is practicing, Matt comes in and harasses him for being in love with CB. Matt tells him to stay away from CB, or else. Beethoven says no and calls him by his old nickname, Pigpen. This angers Matt, who slams the piano top, breaking Beethoven's hands. Later on, the group has a talk about Beethoven, who committed suicide (Matt, meanwhile, was suspended from school for a week). CB is angered by this and berates them for not being sorry for him all these years. Later on, CB gets a letter from his pen pal. In the letter he tells him that he must keep strong, even in rough times. The letter mentions a boy "who plays piano just like [CB's] friend" moved in near the pen pal, and mentions that "he's had a tough life, but things are better for him, now.", and that he found a dog who likes to sing along to the piano (like CB's dog did, alluding that Beethoven is now caring for CB's dog in the afterlife). CB cries over the letter, as it meant so much to his friend, dog, and himself. The letter is signed 'CS', an allusion to Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz.

AWARDS
In 2004 it was one of the breakout hits at the New York International Fringe Festival, winning the Excellence Award for Best Overall Production, as well as Theatermania's Play Award of 2004, the GLAAD Media Award for Best Off-Off-Broadway production, Broadway.com's 2006 Audience Award for Favorite Off-Broadway Production and the 2006 HX Award for Best Play.

IAN & DOG SEES GOD
Ian joined Eddie Kaye Thomas and Eliza Dushku in the cast of Off-Broadway run of Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead, directed by Trip Cullman in 2005. Previews began Dec. 1 towards a Dec. 15 opening at the downtown's Century Center for the Performing Arts.

The Cast:
Eddie Kaye Thomas as CB
America Ferrera as CB's Sister
Logan Marshall-Green as Beethoven
Ian Somerhalder as Matt
Keith Nobbs as Van
Kelli Garner as Tricia
Ari Graynor as Marcy
Eliza Dushku as Van's Sister

The Design Team: David Korins (set design), Jenny Mannis (costumes), Darron L. West (sound) and Brian MacDevitt (lighting).

Managers: Roy Gabay (general manager), Lori Ann Zepp (production stage manager), Tammy Scozzafava (assistant stage manager) and Randall Etheredge (production manager).

Producers: Dede Harris with Martian Entertainment as co producer. Sorrell Tomlinson and David Carpenter were associate producers.

A FAN ACCOUNT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswell 10/2/00 (View Post)
Hi everyone.

Here is my account of meeting Ian Somerhadler in NYC back in 2006 with my two Fan Forum friends Dreamer4ever aka Jen who now lives in CA and my friend Crystaline aka Crystal. We saw Ian's play twice. There are 2 parts to my account.

Quote:
My account of meeting Ian Somerhadler in 2006 after seeing his play Dog Sees God

PART 1

Hi everyone,

I had a very exciting weekend and I just wanted to share I met Ian Somerhalder from the WB's Young American's and who played Boone on Lost. Enjoy

I went to see the Off-Broadway play Dog Sees God on Jan 21,2006 in NYC and let me tell you it was a special day for not only was it my brother Brendan’s 21st Birthday but God must of been smiling down on me for I got LOST and met Ian Somerhalder.

I went into NY and met Jen and the rest of her co-workers and friends for dinner in the village. It was great we spent the day talking about how excited we were about seeing the play and about maybe seeing Ian.

Jen made a gift of her Lost music videos on a CD for Ian and I felt I wanted to give him something for the wonderful actor he is and for the amazing job he did on playing Boone in Lost so I thought of writing him a thank you card to thank him for all he does. It was the first time I wrote a card to an actor but I love giving gifts to people and I figured everyone loves getting cards. So I got a card and wrote it out at dinner. I was really nervous writing it but it was from the heart.

This is what I wrote to Ian.

Dear Ian,
This is just a note to thank you for your performance as Boone on Lost. I am sure you get this all the time but you are a very talented actor who's spirit and love for the craft shines in all that you do. I know that spirit will take you far in life. You may be gone on Lost but you will never be forgotten! You so Rocked the Island!
Again thank you for the passion you put into your work. I wish you nothing but the best in life! Always follow your heart and live your dreams! My best to you always!
Love,
Erin

I then added my email and address Jen told me that sometimes if you leave your email and address to a Lost cast member they would send something or write back. Who knows we shall see.

By that time it was about 7:15 we then got a call from Crystal who was at the theater saying how she ran into two other Lost Ian fans who went to the show at 4 and were waiting to meet all of the cast. They were waiting to get Ian's autograph and photo. They told Crystal that Ian would be back around 7:30 just in time to get ready for the 8 o'clock show. So we went to the theater around that time. We chatted with the two girls about Lost and the play. They said it was great and very funny the show.

Crystal then saw a yellow cab pull up to the theater and she was like "Tell me that is not him coming out of that cab!" when I saw the black leather jacket and black hat I knew it was him.

He was heading towards the stage door with his dinner in hand. So Jen and I went over to him with our gifts. He is gorgeous. I was in heaven with those piercing baby blue eyes of his. I was really surprised I wasn't nervous at all. I was so relaxed. Jen gave him his gift and told him that the last time she saw him was last year at Paley. He then jumped back in shock and was like "Your Kidding!" and then started saying how much fun that was and how thankful he was for her gift.

I then said hi and I then handed him my card. He was so cute he was like "What’s this?" and I was like "It is a card for you." His piercing blue eyes lit up and was like "No Way! Thank you!" with a huge smile on his face. He then told us that he would stay after for photos and autographs after the show and thanked us again. Then he went running inside. We stayed outside of the theater and waited until we were called in.

Then we saw a girl with blond hair who was in the cast run out of the stage door down the street and Ian was calling after her laughing saying "Come Back" It was hysterical. He is such a character and it was awesome seeing some of the antics back stage. It reminded me of my college theater days with all of the jokes we would share back stage. Aw I miss my theater days.

After that we were called into the theater and got our seats. We saw a guy with a Hurley Lost numbers shirt in the audience from where we were sitting it was great.

The play Dog Sees God was hysterical and very moving. Ian was amazing in it. He had me cracking up from the start. His character was hysterical he was such a player and a very sexy in some scenes might I add. I found myself blushing at some points with the tricks he pulled and the way he moved. He was just too cute. He had the part of Matt (aka Pig Pen) nailed!! The play was great and very enjoyable!! I am so happy I got to see it.

After the play we went outside to wait for the cast. It was so hot in the theater and we didn't have an intermission so I decide to take my coat off for a while outside and cool down while we waited for the cast to show up.

First we saw Eliza Dushku she was very sweet and took some photos with her and got her autograph. She was amazing as Van's Sister (aka Lucy) in the play. She had the character nailed and it looked like she had fun playing her character.

Then we saw Ian. We waited a while for the crowd to die down. Ian was all excited it looked like some of his friends were there and he was giving them all huge bear hugs and beaming with excitement. It was so cute. After that he then went to us. To have our playbills signed and take pictures. I went to hand him my playbill.

Ian's reaction seeing me was "Where is your jacket?" and he was all concerned and his eyes grew wide it was priceless and so sweet. I told him it was hot in the theater and that I had it and was holding it and showed it to him. He then was like “It's freezing out put your jacket on" I said, "I will" and asked him to sign my playbill and then asked him for a picture. He was like "Ok then will you put your jacket on?" I then promised him and we took the photo.

Well let me tell you he was holding me so tight I didn't need my jacket his body heat was keeping me warm. I was in heaven especially when Jen took more then one picture of us I wanted to savor the moment for as long as possible. The whole time I was thinking you are standing next to Ian Somerhalder aka Boone from Lost and he has his arm around you!

After the photos he turned to me all smiling and said "Ok now really put your jacket on" which I did willing. I wasn't cold in the beginning coming out of the hot theater but by the end I am glad I put it on for it was a cold night. But then again I had Ian to warm me up.

Then after that I helped taking pictures of the rest of us as Ian was saying "Ok how about two at a time" and was cracking comments like "Double time" when he had two of us girls on his arms. I was dying he is a riot and such a flirt that one. Such a sweet heart.

Jen then told Ian he could play her LOST CD gift to him on a DVD player. Ian was all happy but then said "I will watch it but if I do I probably will get all depressed. I miss those guys." you could tell how close of a cast they all were by the look on his face. We told him how we loved him on Lost and what a wonderful job he did on the show.

We then thanked and congratulated him on the play and how we loved it. After that we said we would see him on Friday night for his last performance in the show. He said he was looking forward to it and was all excited and smiled and said "Thanks again you guys Rock" then he went back to his friends and started calling people on his cell phone and started talking beaming with excitement I might add.

It was all so surreal. He is so cute and a sweetheart. It was awesome meeting him. I had a blast. He signed my playbill with his autograph and added XOXO to it. I wonder if my card to him had anything to do with it.

Over all it was a wonderful experience. He is great. And I know he will go far in life and is destined for great things. Our once Lost member is now found and will shine I am sure in all he does. He seems to be very thoughtful and grateful to his fans and thankful for all of the opportunities he gets. He really enjoys his work and it shows in his actions and how down to earth and thoughtful he is. That is a rare quality.

I can't wait to see the play on Friday again and to see him one last time before he heads to LA for the SAG awards with the rest of the Lost cast. He should have a wonderful time and it will be some reunion that's for sure! It looks like Ian's first Off-Broadway debut was a complete success!! He deserves it!

Never in a million years did I ever think I would meet a member of the Lost cast and that it would be Ian Somerhalder no less an actor who I have admired for years. Wow it's just amazing how life works out sometimes. It was a wonderful night and I so enjoyed getting Lost with Ian.
Second time I met Ian after seeing his play again

Quote:

PART 2 the next time we saw Ian at his play and met Ian

Hi Everyone,

You know the phrase "everything is better the second time around" well getting Lost with Ian the second time was better then the first in NYC.

I went to see the Off Broadway play Dog Sees God for the second time on Jan 27,2006. It was very exciting for I knew that I would be seeing this hysterical and moving play again and that I would see Ian Somerhalder one last time.

I went into NY that night to meet up with Jen and her friends for dinner in the city. It was nice we went to this Chinese restaurant right in Union Square where the theater was located. It was nice we all talked about how excited we were to see the play again and to see Ian one last time for his last performance in New York.

Being Ian loved our gifts to him the last time. Jen and I decided it would be nice to get him a little something being it was his last performance and to congratulate him on his first off Broadway play. So we got him a box of Godiva chocolates being he loves chocolate.

We also got him a Congratulations card that we all signed saying what a wonderful job he did in his first off Broadway play and put photos of ourselves with him in the card from the last time we saw him on Saturday the 21st.

Jen also got him a black skullcap hat that said NYC in white letters on it to remind him of his time in New York.

The play was at 10 so we decided after dinner to go and get some coffee at Starbucks. While we were there we got a bag to put our gift in for Ian. We then talked about LOST and the play and Ian and how excited we were for the play to start.

We arrived at the theater around 9:45pm. The theater was so crowed maybe because the tickets for the 10 O'clock showing at only 25 dollars which is very cheap. It was so exciting being in the theater. There is such an energy and excitement that I love that goes along with theater that you can't experience anywhere else!

We then got our seats in the balcony. The seats were overhead box seats on either side of the stage. So you could look down on to the stage. The seats were amazing you were so close to the stage and when you looked down you could see everything.

It was great to see the play again and from a different view. It was so worth it because when the lights shinned down on Ian his eyes were even more piercing. Wow I was in heaven seeing those eyes again.

It was also wonderful because you could see how into character everyone and saw every detail with there facial expressions. Plus the boxer scene never looked so good might I add. (He was wearing blue by the way in case you were wondering )

It was also great to see the play over again because I picked up on things I didn't notice the first time I saw it. One of the many things I love about live theater every performance is so different even if you see the play again. It was wonderful.

After the play we stayed by the stage door hoping to meet Ian again as well as the rest of the cast. It was funny two girls who were there saw how we brought promo shots of Ian from LOST to sign and they were like "Oh wow you guys came prepared" we then told them that this was our second time seeing the play and we wanted to see Ian again.

They totally understood where we were coming from and told us about a favorite actor of these they saw in New York for a play he was in and how they did the same thing for and had pictures of him ready to sign and cameras for photos. They were so much fun to hang out with while we all waited and saw the cast comes out.

We got to see Eliza again she seemed more relaxed and calm this time. Maybe there was less pressure on her being her friends were not there to see her this time. She was so at ease and I was able to get another picture with her and Jen. She was so sweet and is such a sweetheart. She was so grateful for everyone coming to see the show.

It was funny there was some guy there wearing a maroon and gold sweatshirt that said Sunnydale High School from Buffy the Vampirer Slayer and we helped take a picture of him with Eliza. It was so cute.

After that we got to see other cast members. They seemed to be all excited and happy and were so willing to sign playbills and take pictures. It was great.

It looked like the cast was having a party by the night club next store to the theater being everyone was heading over there.

So the crowds were dying down. Well they saved the best for last because Ian was the last cast member to come out of the stage door. He was dressed in his usual artier black leather jacket, charcoal grey shirt, and black hat. I was the one holding the gift for him. In the beginning I felt nervous giving him the gift but then I saw him I wasn't nervous. He recognized us right away and was so happy.

It was funny we heard some of these girls say "We were hear first" and was giving us dirty looks. It was priceless. There was no line and we couldn't help it if Ian saw us. But they soon left after Ian signed the playbills and took photos like he always does.

I then said hi to him and said "This is for you from all of us" he stepped back and was shocked he was like "No way. You guys are too much. Thank you." He then took our present all excited and was very moved. He then went and hugged his friend who came to the play signed some playbills and then came back to us. By this time the crowd was less and it was very nice we finally got a chance to talk to him.

We asked him if he could sign two photos for two of his fans in the Philippians. He was shocked that he had fans in the Philippians. He was like "Wow your kidding me". I then gave him the paper with the names of Sheryll and Mary Gay for him to sign. He saw Mary Gays name and smiled and was like "Mary Gay her name means Happy Square" it was so cute we then told him how she was the MOD on the Lost board on FF and how her and Sheryll were sisters. He signed the photos for them and was talking to us the whole time.

It was funny while he was signing them Jen said he heard how he was going to the SAG awards with the LOST cast. He said he was and couldn't wait to get away from the cold weather and see everyone and how much he missed the cast. Jen then told him how she was moving to LA and how she was so excited. It was so funny he looked at her and smiled and shook his head saying " Trust me LA is not really that exciting". It was priceless. Ian our Louisiana boy is such a true New Yorker at heart.

Then Jen told him how she was cleaning out her closet and how she found some old tapes that had Young Americans on them. Ian blushed and smiled and rolled his eyes and was like "Oh Gees. That was so long ago" it was so cute and endearing his reaction.

Once I got Sheryll and Mary Gays autographs I asked him to sign my picture. "I was like I am sorry I have one more can you sign this for me." he smiled and was like "Of course. Seriously you guys are too much thank you." and I said "its Erin" he then looked at me and gave me this cute sexy look with those eyes of his and said "E R I N" and I smiled and said " Yes that’s it. Oh your good." I was dying with the look he gave me. Aw those eyes. He is such a flirt I love it!!

Ian then signed my photo he signed it Erin Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Ian S XOXO

Then did something so unexpected he kissed Jen, Crystal, and me on the cheek saying thank you to us for his present and for seeing the play. I was in shock thinking wait did that really happen did he just kissed you.

Then Jen asked for a photo with him. He said sure like he always does and she handed the camera to Crystal well it was so cute he then gestured towards me with his hand saying come on get in to me. Well it happened so fast but he then grabs me to be in the photo. He is a riot and such a flirt that one.

I was dying and laughing when he was holding Jen and I so close. It was so sweet. I was on cloud nine for I was like not only did he just kiss you but he grabbed you as well!! The whole time he was saying thank you and how moved he was by how thoughtful we were and for our gift to him.

Then he thanked us again and kissed us goodbye a second time and hugged us good-bye. I swear if you were an outsider you would of thought we were close friends of his. It was great. We then told him to have an awesome time at the SAG awards and to tell the LOST cast we say hi. Then Crystal said "Especially Josh" he said he would say hi to them for us and we waved him goodbye.

It was so cute he was walking all happy holding his gift in his hand. He looked like a kid in a candy store or a kid on Christmas with the way he was holding our gift while he walked towards the club for the after party.

He is such a sweetheart. Very gracious and endearing. He was so humbled by our gift and I can't count how many times he was saying thank you to us. It was so cute! It was all so surreal. I couldn't believe he kissed me twice no less. (Let me tell you that man can kiss and he only kissed my cheek). It was amazing. I felt like I was seeing an old friend. Ian was so sweet and friendly. It was great.

He was born for the stage and was a natural. I hope he does more plays in New York. He is so talented. You can see how much he has grown as an actor from his time on Young Americans to now. I have a feeling he is going to go far. I can't wait for Pulse to come out in March. It looks amazing.

Over all it was a wonderful time. I had a blast and a wonderful time!!

So over all these past two weekends were amazing. It was full of good friends, good theater, and good company what more could you ask for. I so enjoyed getting LOST twice in one month and meeting Ian Somerhalder in New York City. All I have to say is that it was a wonderful experience and it was a pleasure getting Lost.
Credits: Wikipedia & Playbill
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Tftnt!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

You are welcome!
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

im loving the pics in the OP
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

the few precious pics we have....
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

too bad we dont have more
Old 07-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

I wish we had more too but I'm so happy we got the fan encounter post back!
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

grateful for that
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Me too, really nice of her!
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

she is awesome
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

She really is...
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

so nice of her
Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

it was... and a great experience too, both times.
Love crime

LOGH
Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

sounds amazing
Old 07-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

wish I could have seen it too...
Love crime

LOGH