Old 06-08-2022, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nope. Do fish even fart?

TPBM is a flaming fart?
Old 06-09-2022, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, they do.

Nope.

TPBM knows which Marvel character regularly says "flamin'"?
Old 06-09-2022, 06:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ben Grimm?

TPBM remembers which Marvel character said "Cripes" all the time?
Old 06-10-2022, 06:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

No, Wolverine.

Sounds familiar, but I don't. Spider-Man?

TPBM is too American chauvinist to read Alpha Flight and Excalibur, in their heyday two of the best Marvel comics?
Old 06-10-2022, 03:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How am I a chauvinist just because I didn't read comics about a Canadian and British mutant superhero team? They just didn't interest me.

Damn, Wolverine. He said "flamin'"?

Ben Grimm said "cripes" all the time in Fantastic Four comics. It was one of the fake exclamations that Marvel used in place of saying "Christ." I'm surprised a Ben Grimm fan like yourself wouldn't know that.

TPBM is a flamin' Alpha Fart?
Old 06-11-2022, 07:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're chauvinist because you're not interested in comics set anywhere but America.

Nope.

TPBM is an apple tart?
Old 06-11-2022, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

No, but now I wanna eat one.

That is not what chauvinism is. The only thing British I was ever into was Doctor Who.

TPBM is an apple fart?
Old 06-12-2022, 09:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

No I'm not.

TPBM is a cow fart?

Yes it is a form of chauvinism. Your lack of interest in comics set outside of America suggests a certain prejudice against anything that's not focused on America. And in this case it's aggravated by the fact that ignoring Byrne's Alpha Flight and Alan Davis's Excalibur meant you missed two of the best comics Marvel was putting out at the time.

If I could read Captain Britain comics in the '80s and their reprints in the '90s, you could read Excalibur and Alpha flight when they were good.

Last edited by sum1; 06-12-2022 at 02:10 PM
Old 06-12-2022, 05:37 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nope.

Or, it could just be a lack of interest. I was never into X-Men either, just X-Factor in the late 80s. I was mostly into Avengers and Fantastic Four. Does that make me prejudiced against mutants? I was also never much of a fan of Daredevil, Moon Knight, or The Punisher.

TPBM is a phantom farter?
Old 06-13-2022, 01:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
Nope.

Or, it could just be a lack of interest.
You told me before that you weren't interested in comics set in countries other than America. That implies a certain ethnocentric attitude. Lack of interest just because they're set in other countries IS prejudice. (I know I'm giving you a hard time over this, but it's in the realm of friendly advice. And I know how pompous and self-righteous that sounds. )

Quote:
I was never into X-Men either, just X-Factor in the late 80s. I was mostly into Avengers and Fantastic Four. Does that make me prejudiced against mutants?
Possibly prejudiced against minorities, because that's what mutants stand for in Marvel. It might imply a lack of interest in minorities, or an inability to relate to them. Not saying it does, just that it can look that way. All of this is just throwing around ideas, not making any condemnation or accusations.

Quote:
I was also never much of a fan of Daredevil, Moon Knight, or The Punisher.
Moon Knight's two advantages are his cool costume and the fact that he's ethnically Jewish, but I never found the character interesting enough. Far better Jewish superheroes exist, such as the Thing and Kitty Pryde, two of Marvel's standout characters. Kitty Pryde was the first ever openly Jewish superhero. And Jack Kirby intended Ben Grimm to be Jewish long before Marvel made it official. He based Ben on himself and had a portrait of Ben in a Jewish prayer shawl up in his studio. There were hints of Ben's Jewish background all over his story and I guessed he was Jewish as far back as the early '90s (at the latest, it might have been the late '80s). Daredevil and the Punisher are good characters and two of Marvel's few ethnically defined white characters, Daredevil being Irish American and and the Punisher being Italian American. Neither of them have ever been big interests of mine, but I always liked them when JRJR did work on them. 1993 Daredevil Man Without Fear and 1992 Punisher War Zone are masterpieces.

Quote:
TPBM is a phantom farter?
Nope.

TPBM is a Farter of the Opera?

Last edited by sum1; 06-13-2022 at 02:30 AM
Old 06-13-2022, 06:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Nope.

Or, in the immortal words of Sigmund Freud, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Don't look too deeply into it. You'll just see what you want to see.

Like I said, I only read the comics my mom bought, which were mostly Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and The Avengers. She was also into Justice League, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. She loved Conan the Barbarian and Red Sonja. Comic book fans are like fans of any other medium, they fall in love with one particular intellectual property and they're very monogamous. I remember when Alpha Flight first came out. I didn't know anything about them, I didn't even know they were from Canada. They just didn't interest me. Hey, I tried out Image Comics in the early 90s, remember? Youngblood, Wild C.A.T.S., Cyber Force, Spawn, The Savage Dragon, etc. But they just couldn't hold my interest, so I quit on them.

TPBM thinks cow farts harm the ozone layer?
Old 06-14-2022, 07:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Nope.

Or, in the immortal words of Sigmund Freud, "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Don't look too deeply into it. You'll just see what you want to see.

Like I said, I only read the comics my mom bought, which were mostly Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and The Avengers. She was also into Justice League, Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. She loved Conan the Barbarian and Red Sonja. Comic book fans are like fans of any other medium, they fall in love with one particular intellectual property and they're very monogamous. I remember when Alpha Flight first came out. I didn't know anything about them, I didn't even know they were from Canada. They just didn't interest me. Hey, I tried out Image Comics in the early 90s, remember? Youngblood, Wild C.A.T.S., Cyber Force, Spawn, The Savage Dragon, etc. But they just couldn't hold my interest, so I quit on them.
Still, it struck me how you stressed before that you have no interest in Alpha Flight or Excalibur because they weren't set in America.

Quote:
TPBM thinks cow farts harm the ozone layer?
They obviously do.

TPBM thinks Putin harms the ozone layer?
Old 06-14-2022, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Putin harms everything.

sum1, I was nine years old when Alpha Flight first came out. Cut me some slack. I didn't know anything about Canada or Great Britain. I didn't even catch on to how Canadians spoke until I watched the Canadian teen comedy, 'You Can't Do That On Television,' which aired on Nickelodeon in the 1980s. I couldn't understand whey everyone on that show pronounced the word "about" so oddly. "A-boot." "A-boat."

TPBM thinks Putin should be sent to prison by an international court?
Old 06-15-2022, 03:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Putin harms everything.

sum1, I was nine years old when Alpha Flight first came out. Cut me some slack. I didn't know anything about Canada or Great Britain. I didn't even catch on to how Canadians spoke until I watched the Canadian teen comedy, 'You Can't Do That On Television,' which aired on Nickelodeon in the 1980s. I couldn't understand whey everyone on that show pronounced the word "about" so oddly. "A-boot." "A-boat."
On the contrary, you were about 13 years old when Alpha Flight first came out and I'm talking about your more modern attitude to to Alpha Flight, not just your attitude back then. More particularly, I'm talking about your attitude to Excalibur, which came out when you were about 18.

Quote:
TPBM thinks Putin should be sent to prison by an international court?
Yeah, but it won't happen.

TPBM thinks farts are smelly?
Old 06-15-2022, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Obviously they are.

Well, technically Alpha Flight made their first appearance in X-Men in 1979 when I was nine. But yes, their own comic book title came out in 1983, but again, I was only 13. I was watching MTV, Knight Rider, Remington Steele, That's Incredible!, Cheers, Family Ties, Return of the Jedi, WarGames, etc.

Also, remember I told you that I wasn't reading comics in 1983. My mom got me into comics, and there was a period of time from 1981 to 1983 that I wasn't reading comics anymore when my parents divorced. I didn't get back into comics until May of 1984 when the Secret Wars miniseries came out, and of course, when The Amazing Spider-Man #252 first came out in May of 1984. So I wasn't reading comics in 1983 when Alpha Flight came out. As for Excalibur, again, the only X-title I was really into was X-Factor because of the original five X-Men reuniting. By the time I was 18 I was collecting X-Factor, The Mighty Avengers, West Coast Avengers, Fantastic Four, The Amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man, Web of Spider-Man, G.I. Joe, Batman, Detective Comics, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, The Silver Surfer, The Invincible Iron Man, The Sensational She-Hulk, etc. I was already maxed-out. And of course, by 1992 my dad went bankrupt and I could no longer afford comics anymore by 1993.

TPBM thinks Trump smells?