Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-07-2021, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I couldn't relate to Kitty Pryde because all she did was walk through walls... and her name was Kitty Pryde. It took a while for them to give her a name like Shadowcat. The Vision could also move through solid objects, but he could also do other stuff as well.

No, sum1, I don't like it when any show does that. Beverly Hills 90210 did that, and it started becoming a bit ridiculous that this group of high school friends never strayed far from their home in Beverly Hills. They all conveniently ended up going to UCLA, which is close to Beverly Hills. Also, Sunnydale isn't Collinsport or one of those towns you see in stuff like Dark Shadows. I actually think Riverdale dealt with this problem much more effectively with their whole time-jump plot twist, where everyone left Riverdale and years later they return after having gone to college and lived lives away from their home town.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
I couldn't relate to Kitty Pryde because all she did was walk through walls... and her name was Kitty Pryde. It took a while for them to give her a name like Shadowcat. The Vision could also move through solid objects, but he could also do other stuff as well.
Actually, you specifically said you couldn't relate to Kitty because you aren't female. Believe me, I don't forget when somebody makes a comment like that. I tend to take a pretty dim view of people having trouble relating across gender divides, so I hope you didn't mean that, because you're a better person than that. . Julianne Moore made some comment about being unable to relate to films where the cast is just men, no women, and that marked her as sexist in my mind. People of all genders are just human and have more in common with people of other genders than they have differences from them. We should all be able to relate to each others' basic humanity. Anybody who has trouble relating across gender divides should work to overcome that shortcoming.

Quote:
No, sum1, I don't like it when any show does that. Beverly Hills 90210 did that, and it started becoming a bit ridiculous that this group of high school friends never strayed far from their home in Beverly Hills. They all conveniently ended up going to UCLA, which is close to Beverly Hills. Also, Sunnydale isn't Collinsport or one of those towns you see in stuff like Dark Shadows. I actually think Riverdale dealt with this problem much more effectively with their whole time-jump plot twist, where everyone left Riverdale and years later they return after having gone to college and lived lives away from their home town.
They made Sunnydale plenty dark enough in the later seasons to give Buffy and co plenty of opportunity to grow up. They didn't need to send them anywhere else. And Sunnydale was a good setting. I'm glad they kept them there. I'm just pissed off they destroyed the place at the end.

Last edited by sum1; 12-08-2021 at 09:10 AM
Old 12-08-2021, 07:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

How long ago was that? Well, I'm sorry, but that's also true. It's going to be difficult for anyone to relate to someone who is that different from themselves. Now, is it possible I might be able to relate to someone's story regardless if the character is a woman? Yes, I suppose, depending. I found myself relating to Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games a lot, but her story was very particular to the dystopian situation. I related to her the way I related to Jonathan E in the original Rollerball. But Kitty Pryde is just a person I can't relate to much at all, regardless.

Yeah, but that's probably the reason they had to destroy Sunnydale, sum1. If it's that bad that a hellmouth is beneath it that keeps Buffy and her friends rooted there, its destruction was probably inevitable.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising (View Post)
How long ago was that? Well, I'm sorry, but that's also true. It's going to be difficult for anyone to relate to someone who is that different from themselves.
That's dangerous nonsense. I'm tired of people blowing gender differences out of proportion. The different genders aren't half as different as some people seem to believe. We're part of the same species, for god's sake! It's hardly impossible to relate to a person of a different gender. "That different", like hell. The differences between individual personalities are bigger than the differences between genders. The myth and that different genders are so extremely different is the root of sexism.

Sorry for giving you a hard time over this. It isn't personal. It's just that it's a topic of high priority in my personal philosophy. I can't stand it when people claim that people can't relate to people of another gender or claim that different genders are extremely different. To me, such views are the root of a lot of the evil in the world. Our common humanity is much more important than any gender divides.

Quote:
But Kitty Pryde is just a person I can't relate to much at all, regardless.
Kitty Pryde is the most relatable character in Marvel, but how would you know? You haven't read most of her core X-Men stories or her Excalibur years.

Quote:
Yeah, but that's probably the reason they had to destroy Sunnydale, sum1. If it's that bad that a hellmouth is beneath it that keeps Buffy and her friends rooted there, its destruction was probably inevitable.
Really? There's a Hellmouth in Cleveland, does Cleveland have to be destroyed too?

Last edited by sum1; 12-09-2021 at 07:59 AM
Old 12-10-2021, 01:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Well... you know, I'm willing to let all that other stuff slide... but that's just a mean thing to say about Cleveland.
Old 12-10-2021, 03:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're the one voting for the destruction of towns.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm not voting for the destruction of Sunnydale, it's just that it's destruction seemed preordained due to its geographical location. Whedon was reading too much H.P. Lovecraft.