Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2015, 10:43 PM
Banned

News & Politics Lite | The Lighter Side of News & Politics#3

While this is the Lighter side of the news, it should be noted that some topics within this thread could contain stories, images and discussions that may cause a triggering event. To be respectful of everyone on the El&I board we have divided the News & Politics thread into two separate categories. "Lite" & "Sensitive"

This is the Lite thread. Topics discussed here should be the ones that fall on the lighter side of the news such as political cartoons, presidential campaigns, Advances in Science & Technology....etc. The darker side of the news should be posted here News & Politics | Sensitive Topics this thread is clearly labeled so those who may be upset by certain topics can avoid them.

Thanks.

from last thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrise at Midnight (View Post)
Oh Donald .....
I just read about what he said about Mexicans. As part Mexican and looking Mexican/Native American the most I take serious offense to this.

I could go on about how most Americans don't the jobs that people are accused of stealing because they are to lazy or fat to do the job.

I'm just going to stop now and think of the last good movie I saw featuring Mexican Americans... McFarland, USA. Go Danny Diaz! Diaz makes me proud as that is my father's last name.

Right now I dislike Trump even more than I dislike Hilary.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

The US Supreme Court has ruled in favor of allowing same-sex marriages across the country!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR_Roxy (View Post)
The US Supreme Court has ruled in favor of allowing same-sex marriages across the country!

I am so happy I could cry! This is something so many people, my wife and I included, have fought for in the past decade or so. It's about time love became constitutional right. So proud!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

This is such amazing news
Bit surprised Facebook isn't exploding (or at least, mine isn't), except for the (American) public pages changing their profile pic to rainbow-y things.

But coming from the first country to ever legalise gay marriage in 2001 (yeah, I'm not really a patriot, but this is still something to be proud of!) I can say I'm very proud of the US, or at least at the Surpreme court and anyone making this amazing change possible or at least supporting it
Old 06-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Same-sex couples in several affected states including Georgia, Michigan, Ohio and Texas rushed to wed on Friday.

However officials in other states, including Mississippi and Louisiana, said marriages had to wait until procedural issues were addressed.

We're nearly there, but not quite there yet.

I'll never understand how anyone can oppose this, anyway.

I mean, I can certainly understand how people, based on their religious education, fundamentally believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman and that's it. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

But (a) that's a religious difference, and people can obviously get married without doing it in a church. My own parents were married at city hall. Speaking of my own parents, there's (2) have none of these people looked around recently? How much sanctity can marriage have when most people will get a divorce? How many families are single-parent households?

I mean, I can truly understand hoping for the best and wishing for an ideal. And I fully respect people who choose to live their own lives according to their religious education. There's nothing wrong with that. Of course, there isn't.

This is the world we live in, though. Separation of church and state. And so long as the laws are such that getting married carries actual legal rights with it, then the unconstitutional thing is to bar consenting adults from having access to those rights. It's got nothing to do with religion.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:04 AM
Master Fan

Congratulations America on the US supreme Court ruling. What a great day for your country. This is a step forward.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Love (View Post)
Congratulations America on the US supreme Court ruling. What a great day for your country. This is a step forward.
About time, right!!!!
Old 06-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
I mean, I can certainly understand how people, based on their religious education, fundamentally believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman and that's it. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

But (a) that's a religious difference, and people can obviously get married without doing it in a church. My own parents were married at city hall. Speaking of my own parents, there's (2) have none of these people looked around recently? How much sanctity can marriage have when most people will get a divorce? How many families are single-parent households?
Exáctly.

By marrying (either for the church or not) you get all sort of financial benefits (regarding inheritance for your children and stuff). That's why my parents got married: because it was financially beneficial, both for them and later on in life for me as well. They got married when I was 8 years old, on a monday morning at the city hall (guess that's also not very biblical of them ). Whether you think gays should be able to get married under this 'holy matrimony' stuff or not, I don't care (yes, I do, but that's not the point here). But it would certainly be truly unfair if people are able to get all sorts of financial benefits becáuse they're straight, while gay people can't. I'd call that discrimination.
Off course I also believe on an emotional level that everyone should have equal rights, whether money is involved or not. What I described before is just a very rational point on which I truly can't understand people who are against same sex marriage.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

My wife is Catholic and I am a Buddhist. We got married in a very expensive manor/hall. I asked her why she didn't want to get married in a church and she said because she already loves god and he loves her....our love isn't religion based. I respect that so much (and I'm uncomfortable in a church because i think everyone singing and saying those things together sounds creepy like Children of the Corn haha). I've been married almost 5 years and am yet to see the financial things that come with it other than checking a box next to single. It's all about showing our love to the world and our dedication!!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Matt, God forbid (it's the expression, okay?) one of you ever was in a serious accident, got sick or even died, you'd come across the advantages of marriage very quickly. If you had children, even more so.

The thing about marriage is that it ought to be a choice. Even heterosexual couples come across the problems of not being married in certain circumstances, but it's their choice.

I think, in a modern democracy, the big problem with not allowing gay people to marry (and call it marriage) is that you're not giving them access to the same choices.

Whether I believe that a marriage is just between a man and a woman or not, it's unfair that in a country where there is a separation of church and state, being married is still just for straight couples.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Sunny, yes that expression is okay, haha. And yeah, we always have each other if we need emergency attention and it has happened a few times where it came in handy. of course, it helps to actually be in love, lol. Separation of church and state is a joke because right now, I feel religion trying to be shoved on us even harder now that the religious right is going to have to start accepting people who aren't white god fearing men. Uh oh!!! hehe
Old 06-28-2015, 10:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
The thing about marriage is that it ought to be a choice. Even heterosexual couples come across the problems of not being married in certain circumstances, but it's their choice.

I think, in a modern democracy, the big problem with not allowing gay people to marry (and call it marriage) is that you're not giving them access to the same choices.

Whether I believe that a marriage is just between a man and a woman or not, it's unfair that in a country where there is a separation of church and state, being married is still just for straight couples.
I just want to say that this is best statement I have seen on this issue.

Thank you sunny! You got it right and I completely agree.

It's the same for me when it comes to a woman's right to abortion and a mans need for a right to negate all financial responsibility for a child he does not want. It's all about the giving peoples choices.

I am pro-life but it is not my place to make anyone else that way. Their choice should be their own. That is freedom.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Abortion talk is probably better left on the other thread, don't you think?

Meanwhile, though, in the ongoing comedy gold mine that is Donald Trump's foray into presidential politics: NBC ends business relationship with Donald Trump after Latino comments

Again, I find myself thinking it couldn't happen to a nicer man.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

yes, abortion is a topic better suited for discussion in the other thread. it was only mentioned as a passing reference to beliefs but if anyone would like to go further in discussion on that topic, it should taken to the sensitive thread.

Quote:
Meanwhile, though, in the ongoing comedy gold mine that is Donald Trump's foray into presidential politics: NBC ends business relationship with Donald Trump after Latino comments

I think he forgets that actions have conquinces. He can say what he wants but should be prepared for the fallout. And when it happens, take it like a big boy.

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I think he forgets that actions have conquinces. He can say what he wants but should be prepared for the fallout. And when it happens, take it like a big boy.
yeah but he's not used to that. He's used to tantrums and making noise. Politics is not reality tv.

Quote:
bah he'll probably play the victim and say Liberal Media didn't like him because he was a threat or some such nonsense.

Quote:
Matt, God forbid (it's the expression, okay?) one of you ever was in a serious accident, got sick or even died, you'd come across the advantages of marriage very quickly. If you had children, even more so.
A lot of people think it's about winning but it's not. I have friends who went through hell because one of them was sick and she was the biological mother of the kid. If she had died, her now wife wouldn't have been able to keep her own son, just because of a piece of paper, or rather the lack of one. How does it make sense?

Quote:
I'll never understand how anyone can oppose this, anyway.
It feels like it's more about bullying than about anything else, really. When people are being denied rights, you can believe that you're on the righteous side because the government thinks like you.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Closed Thread   Post New Thread