Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

News & Politics | Sensitive Topics #9~ Topics Inside Include: Death - War - Violence - Etc...

Trigger Warning - This thread contains topics that may be seen as troubling or upsetting.

Topics within this thread contain stories, images and discussions that may cause a triggering event. To be respectful of everyone on the El&I board we have divided the News & Politics thread into two separate categories. "Lite" & "Sensitive"

This is the Sensitive Thread. Topics discussed here should be the ones that fall on the darker sides of the news, that includes any kind of violence, sexual crimes, death, abuse, kidnapping etc..... The lighter side of the news should be posted here News & Politics Lite When in doubt if a topic falls in a certain category, just post it in here and a Moderater can move it if necessary.

Please be patient with us, this is a work in progress and this opening post may be tweaked a bit more in the coming days.

Thank you,

Kim, Mandie, & Sunny

Kim
Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
What? This is about Stormy Daniels's lawyer? What about 2020? I thought this was about a Democratic candidate for 2020... Well, okay then...

As for domestic abuse, I hope they investigate thoroughly, but as we've said several times on this thread, the criminal justice system isn't set up to address those crimes correctly. Which is just gross, as far as I'm concerned. People who do that deserve to rot in jail. And always, always believe the victims.

Of course, monkeys have teeth. I expect that what happened to that little girl is the same thing that happens in the United States when a shark attacks a human being. We're encroaching on wild animals' habitat. If not literally because we're expanding neighbourhoods and such, then because we're hastening global warming at an unprecedented rate, forcing them to extremes to try and survive. Of course, none of this makes the death of a child any less awful or more their fault.

Meanwhile, the death toll continues to rise in the wildfires of California: Fire death toll at 56 and counting in Northern California I think the cooler weather is helping firefighters make some headway in terms of controlling parts of the fires, but there's obviously a lot of work ahead. On the TV news, I heard that the fire burned so hot in some places that a non-medical professional could have a hard time distinguishing human remains from non-human remains, making it even harder to get a proper count.

Bangladesh scraps Rohingya return, says no one wants to go Last I heard (meaning I could be extremely wrong here), Bangladesh was possibly the world's most densely populated country. Meaning you know it was terrible for the Rohingya if they would prefer to remain in a place that isn't their home, where they're likely overcrowded and lacking resources, over going home.

School children among 40 injured in head-on crash of buses The crash involved a third vehicle, somehow... but there aren't many details at this point. Still, that's just terrible.

Denmark withholds aid to Tanzania after anti-gay comments It was a bit more than anti-gay comments. The police chief of the capital city of Tanzania called on the population to "turn in their gays," so to speak. And, you know, that stuff doesn't fly in this day and age.
I wish Bangladesh had other plans for them-other than sending them back to probable death. They've already lost family. Children thrown into fires! I mean come on, there has to be a better solution.

Good lord, why are people so scared of gay people? I don't care if your religion is against it. It's no one's business. I may be against someone's religion, but it's none of my business who or what they worship. You're right, "turn them in" is frightening, and unacceptable.

A symbolic funeral has been held for Jamal Khashoggi, in Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46239771

For the first time, two leaders of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia have been convicted of genocide. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46217896 History teachings in the US have failed me. This is horrible to read about. I mean good that they're being held accountable, because it brings family members a little closure.

Dartmouth is being sued for $70 million, for ignoring 16 years of a sexual predator club of professors (3 professors). https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46239563 Anyone in power who has power over others in power has to stop ignoring things like this. No more "boys will be boys" BS. These are grown men, who could control their victims. Though, I guess that's always the case.

Death toll in California is now 63, with over 600 declared missing now, which doubled the number missing from yesterdays count. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46230927

Kim
Old 11-16-2018, 05:21 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by There You'll Be;95673329

For the first time, two leaders of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia have been convicted of genocide. [URL="https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46217896"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46217896[/URL] History teachings in the US have failed me. This is horrible to read about. I mean good that they're being held accountable, because it brings family members a little closure.
[/URL]
They were already serving life sentencing I believe & are in their late 80's & 90's too, so unsure how much more closure people can get at this point.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.119698473c55 The CIA has concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman ordered the murder of Jamal Khoshoggi.

I give it 24 hours before Trump calls the CIA corrupt, confused, or plain out wrong.

Kim
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's pretty terrible that Jamal Khashoggi can only have a symbolic funeral. I hope his family aren't practising Muslim because, if they are, it's like adding insult to injury. Meanwhile, it's good the CIA reached the logical conclusion anyone with half a brain would reach on what happened there... but, yeah, I doubt it'll change anything.

As for the Khmer Rouge convictions of genocide, I think the point is that we're finally convicting people who committed what we all know what genocide of genocide. It's been decades, so obviously whatever's left of the Khmer Rouge will be old, dead and/or already in jail. But there is still meaning in calling a spade a spade, as far as I'm concerned. Because, if the culprits may be almost all sorted, there are still plenty of survivors around. And they deserve recognition.

The Dartmouth thing is so gross. They were teachers. They weren't necessarily that much older than their victims (at least, not at first), but anyone who's been to university know just how skewed that relationship had to have been, even before it got abusive.

Bear in mind, this is the climate that's all happening in: DeVos wants more protection to college students accused of sexual misconduct Not the victims. The accused need to be better protected.

California wildfires: Trump to visit state's deadliest wildfire He's still blaming forest management, skipping right over the fact that 60% of California's forests are under federal management. And that his 2018 budget cut Forest Service funding. I mean, if he's gonna recognize that global warming may have had a role to play here, fine. It'd be better if he tried to do something about it, but fine. The rest of it? He's responsible.

And, as the refugee caravan reaches, in part, the border, here's what top military officials have to say about that: U.S. troops won't come into contact with migrant caravan: top military officer It's like the military knows they legally can't be used as law enforcement.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:42 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Here's a link to an update on the protests in Portland this weekend. I of course did not participate in them or know anyone that did, but the whole HimToo movement seems odd to me that it need to happen during the MeToo movement. If men were so pissed off about supposedly being wrongly accused of sexual harassment or something else by women, then why didn't they say something sooner? I didn't even know about this ''HimToo'' movement until just recently, while I've known about the MeToo movement for quite a while. Plus having people protests in a state that they can't vote in instead of just protesting in Vancouver, Wa I don't think helps their cause as much that it would if they protested in their own state. Portland is going to stay a liberal city for a while longer at least. That was I think proven on Election Day this month.

https://patch.com/oregon/portland/po...ntown-saturday

I did see Trump with Gevin Newsome with Jerry Brown & Trump on the news yesterday & Brown did say that Trump promised to not cut funding to California.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Because POTUS is a man of his word, right?

Chicago hospital shooting: Four critical and gunman dead In a hospital, of all places.

Anti-vaccine community behind North Carolina chickenpox outbreak I understand that there are antivaxxer nutbags out there. I don't understand how that ever falls under a religious thing. As the article points out, no religion is against vaccination. None. So how is that even a loophole?

Toronto breaks annual homicide record, on pace to exceed 100 in 2018 Yay? That's such a terrible situation to see for our largest city.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Trump already cut CA's funding to help before these fires happen, in the 2018 budget, so it's a little late to say he's not going to "cut" funding. The government hasn't set an amount of money to help recovery, so, what exactly is he not going to cut? He's full of crap saying that.

That is scary about Toronto. The gun violence has been growing there, and I have to wonder if we're causing part of it, or, if it is just starting to become prevalent on its own. I sad, either way.

I don't get the anti-vaccination being religious, either. Unless they're in some weird cult. Same thing with the flu vaccination, when almost 200 children died from the flu last year.

For the Chicago shooting, the police officer, a pharmacy resident, and a Dr. have died. Along with the gunman. It was a domestic incident. https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/19/us/me...ing/index.html So, 3 killed, in a hospital...

Trump doesn't want to hear the tape of the Khoshoggi killing. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...KCN1NN0MM?il=0 He says it was vicious and violent, he was told what the tape said. And yet....Trump Defends Saudi Arabia He is standing by Saudi Arabia because they promised to send business worth $450 billion into the US. So, yeah, since Trump began his campaign, we've been for sale. https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/polit...ggi/index.html

In the meantime, Germany is halting arms sales to Saudi Arabia, as a result of the killing. https://www.wsj.com/articles/germany...40934?mod=e2tw Again, Angela Merkel shows she truly is a world leader.

A religious gathering of clerics is the latest suicide bomber attacker's target, in Kabul. 43 are dead. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46273612

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 11-20-2018 at 03:07 PM
Old 11-20-2018, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's an excellent point, isn't it? You can't cut funding that no longer exists. So, actually, in this instance, we really have to hope that POTUS plays to type and ISN'T a man of his word. Then, he might restore some actual funding to California. Of course, Besides, we don't know what started or keeps this fire going yet. Though it would take a supreme moron to ignore the fact that climate change must play a part in maintaining such an inferno.

When I saw the Chicago shooter was black, I was afraid they'd call it terrorism. It's so sad that, when people lose their lives in such a senseless way, here I am, feeling relieved that there can be no doubt it was a domestic incident. How many more have to die like that before someone kicks the NRA to the curb? Surely the right to live trumps the right to bear arms. What's the point even of keeping arms if it's at the cost of people's lives like this?

Trump's relationship with Saudi Arabia may be sketchy, but I don't think any one country around the world looks too good when you look closely at their ties with that country. We're all compromised there. It makes more noise when it's the U.S. because you all are the world's largest economy and, as such, the most powerful country, too. But it's all of us, really.

Angela Merkel was always going to be a better leader than we could hope for. Of course, she's in the last months/years of her career. She can afford to make the right choices. It's a pretty terrible thing to think, but it really does seem like having nothing to lose politically is correlated to a politician's ability to do the right thing.

What happened in Kabul is yet another instance of Muslims killing Muslims. Funny how terrorism, the world over, seems to be mostly home-grown, isn't it?

Tijuana arrests 34 Central America migrants on minor charges I don't know what to say about this, except that it's gross. There's obvious racism at play here, but there's also just enough room left to believe that Tijuana's mayor may be trying to endear himself to Americans. Either way... it's really gross.

Despite UN call for Yemen truce, new clashes around key port In case someone was wondering what Saudi Arabia was doing while Trump was vowing to stand with them...

But I would end this post on a positive note and bring a small reminder that miracles still happen every day: Elevator in Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors before rescue No one's critically injured, and that includes the heavily pregnant woman who was in there. In fact, the story kinda implies they thought it was a bumpier ride than ordinarily but, aside from the fact that they were stuck, they didn't realize they had dropped so fast.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Home grown terrorists are the new cool thing to be.

It's disgusting what is happening to migrants in Tijuana.

Yemen, 85,000 children dying of starvation over a war over land?! Hell is going to be a very crowded place for these war mongers, and leaders.

I'm so glad no one was killed in the elevator drop. I would have freaked the hell out. Thank goodness for the emergency cables stopping it before it landed.

In Norway a man has been charged with sex abuse of 300 young boys. He's a coach. They've been investigating him for years. Imagine how many they could have prevented if they had arrested him sooner. I know, they need evidence. But years? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46287974

In Morocco, a woman killed, then cooked, her boyfriend. Even worse, she served him to workers nearby, over rice. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46287259 Why involve other people? He's already dead, and cooked.

The Senate has asked for another investigation into whether Mohhammed bin Salmen had a role in Khashoggi's killing. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46285131 Bipartisan request from the Foreign Relations Committee. They want it to specifically focus on on MBS.

Trump stripped protections for transgenders in prison, from abuse and rape. https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2018/05/...ns-rape-abuse/ They will be housed according to their biological sex. It also says that the Dr's in the prisons get to decide if they will continue getting medications and treatment to transition. It has to be "necessary". But, what do I expect. That's their mission-to destroy the most vulnerable in the country. The article is bleak.

Kim

Last edited by There You'll Be; 11-21-2018 at 04:31 PM
Old 11-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

What that Norwegian coach has done is just plain evil, but that's the rotten thing with sexual abuse, isn't it? It's always always one person's word against another and, when the abuser is a person of authority, the victim is even less likely to report. It's basically what happened with the Catholic church.

I can only guess at why the Moroccan woman would feed her cooked boyfriend to people. Part of it is probably something to do with mental illness. Because that's an odd choice to make period. But, also, it's a pretty clever way to get rid of the evidence. It's evil, because now these poor, innocent workers have to live with the fact that they unknowingly ate a human being. And that has to weigh on a person's mind.

I'm actually surprised to hear that transgender prisoners had their rights respected up until now. I hadn't anticipated that. No offence, but the United States isn't known for considering people who break the law to be human. I can't imagine such a decision will stick, though. Minority rights are no joke.

Newfoundland oil spill: biologists fear scale of devastation may never be known I know I slam the United States a lot, so here's yet more proof that Canada is in no position to judge anyone. That whole St Lawrence estuary is already problematic for anyone who values the survival of marine life.

Statistics Canada blames guns, gangs as homicide rate hits 10-year high You know, Kim, I know the reflex is to blame the United States because ofo guns. But I think there could be more at play as well. About 10 years ago, Canada's most powerful mafia boss was sent to jail. And that guy controlled everything concerning organized crime, from coast to coast, including street gangs. While he was in prison, his son and his father were murdered and, in general, organized crime got a lot more undisciplined. So, maybe, that contributed to the current chaos?

Remember that Christian Pakistani woman who was almost killed over a super dodgy allegation of blasphemy? Her whole family is still in danger: Asia Bibi family being hunted 'house to house' in Pakistan Still. Someone get them out of there.

Amazon indigenous groups propose Mexico-sized 'corridor of life' I love the idea, but it just effing figures that it's hundreds of indigenous nations who set their differences aside (because you know they have to have some) to propose a plan. Because do indigenous groups have political power anywhere in world? Nope.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It was Obama who set up the protections for transgender prisoners. So, of course it's now gone.

Those poor little birds. That makes me very sad.

That mafia boss not being in control does leave a huge vacuum of people fighting for power, which leads to more deaths, so I imagine that does have a part in it.

It amazes me the Indiginous people are willing to protect the land with their lives. I fear those deaths would come about, double-time.

So, not surprisingly, the US is moving backwards in Female Genital Mutilation. It was a judge this time, not Trump, but the judge in Michigan ruled that Congress lacked the authority to control all of the states. Over 500,000 girls and women are at risk across the US. This makes it so every state can object to stopping this from being done to women. https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-girls-at-risk I say all men should be forced to have a vascetomy. You know, just so their bodies can be controlled too. I know, petty and childish, but this makes me angry.

Kim
Old 11-24-2018, 04:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

FGM is worse than a vasectomy, though. Because it doesn't stop women having children. It just stops them enjoying sex, but in a way that also can make sex painful to them. It can also cause serious infections. In other words, it can endanger the girl's health. And the best-case scenario is that it treats her as a second-class citizen. Hopefully, one state does not control what others will do. And the rest will be on the right side of history on that front.

I saw a BBC report on the abuse of Thai workers in Israel. That report was yesterday on TV, but it turns out to be a well-documented problem. I didn't know. Again, this isn't the fault of all Israeli. Of course. I mean, is it the fault of every Canadian when it turns out one sociopath was holding someone in what amounted to slavery? No. It's just sobering to realize that things like that also happen in Israel, that's all.

Speaking of reasons Canadian may be ashamed for things they're not responsible for: Canada: locals angry after navy holds live fire exercises in orca habitat What's the point of saying orcas are endangered and designating that very swathe of ocean as a critical habitat for just last summer if we're gonna continue to treat their home like a shooting range?

Spanish police arrest 79 people in child porn bust Here's to opening child porn is treated more seriously in Spain than gang rape. I mean, those Wolfpack creeps were released pending trial, weren't they?

Protest in Alabama as police admit killing wrong man over mall shooting The suspect is still at large. But, hey, they did shoot someone, so that counts, right? Oh yeah, more guns totally solves the gun crime issue.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Leave it to men to not give a about women. It's all about the men. 27 states allow it, so...

Call me jaded about anything concerning Israel. At this point, heck, I'm jaded about everything. No, every Israeli farmer may not be doing this, but the other farmers must know this is going on. I know not all of Israel is responsible, and others may be silenced into submission, and even more probably have no idea.

I'm glad they busted that ring. There will be a reserved spot in hell for each one of them. I think that the Wolfpack thinking differs in that it was an adult female, so they could care less. They probably think the children are innocent, and that the woman raped by the Wolfpack brought it on herself.

Seems like white teens/adult males, and police, are doing all the killing with guns. But lets blame the scary black teen.

Kim
Old 11-25-2018, 02:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Over 400 hurt in magnitude 6.3 earthquake in western Iran But, hey, they were probably all building nuclear weapons, right?

John Allen Chau: Struggle to retrieve body of man killed by tribe They should leave him there. I'm sorry, but I have no patience for missionaries. He kept going back again and again, taking the risk that he could slaughter the whole group by bringing them into contact with germs their immune systems weren't built to fight. He said Jesus would protect him. Well, let Jesus watch over him now.

U.S. shoots tear gas as migrants rush border Shame on whomever does this, and I don't care if they're "just" following orders. At what point do we reach cruel and unusual punishment here? Shame on people for flouting international law this way.

Russia fires on and seizes Ukraine ships, Ukrainian navy says I wish this was surprising to me.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread