Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Cooking Club #3 ~ What's Cooking, Good Looking?

As you were...
Old 02-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

So quinoa chili:

Ingredients you'll need:

ground pork (the recipe says 1lb, but I know I had more than that)
1 cup of rinsed and drained quinoa
1 1/2 cup of salsa
2 cups of frozen vegetables "for chili" (we don't have that here, so I used "for spaghetti")
1 1/2 of shredded sharp cheddar
1 tablespoon of chili seasoning
2 cups of chicken broth

So, first you cook the ground pork (I added in the chili seasoning right away so it would coat the pork).

Then, when the pork is cooked, you add in the chili seasoning, the quinoa, the salsa, the vegetables and the broth and you bring everything to a boil.

You cover and let it cook for 10-12 minutes (in my case, it took more like 20 minutes for the quinoa to be completely cooked).

You add pepper, then the shredded cheese and you put in in the oven on "broil" for 2-3 minutes till the cheese becomes gooey.

The end.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm weird, I like reading recipes and imagining how it would taste, but without actually making it,

This one sounds good
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, I'm the same way. I mean, this project continues to be fun for me, because it's for my brother and I won't be eating any of the food, so if it turns out awful... oh well.

But, normally, I'm more into watching cooking shows than I am into actually cooking.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, I like cooking shows, cause there is no drama (which I need when I'm feeling down), the background music is usually just instrumental and I like seeing all the close ups of food and the finished product and then I feel jealous cause I imagine who exactly gets to eat the end result.. I assume it's the filming crew gets to taste it all,
Old 02-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Lucky to be on that set huh

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

If it tastes as well as it looks.

It probably can't be awful, but I'm guessing sometimes the "studio result" isn't necessarily all you'd have it to be in the moment.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

True, it probably really sits out at room temperature too long under hot studio lights!

I just like watching it cause it's relaxes and I taste vicariously in my imagination.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

I like watching for the same reasons.

And, yeah, I always thought the version they show you on TV has to look good for TV cameras, so maybe it's not the best version of the recipe. I still think they wouldn't bother doing the recipe if it doesn't normally end up being good. But I'm not sure being part of the crew is a fringe benefit. That's all.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
So quinoa chili:

Ingredients you'll need:

ground pork (the recipe says 1lb, but I know I had more than that)
1 cup of rinsed and drained quinoa
1 1/2 cup of salsa
2 cups of frozen vegetables "for chili" (we don't have that here, so I used "for spaghetti")
1 1/2 of shredded sharp cheddar
1 tablespoon of chili seasoning
2 cups of chicken broth

So, first you cook the ground pork (I added in the chili seasoning right away so it would coat the pork).

Then, when the pork is cooked, you add in the chili seasoning, the quinoa, the salsa, the vegetables and the broth and you bring everything to a boil.

You cover and let it cook for 10-12 minutes (in my case, it took more like 20 minutes for the quinoa to be completely cooked).

You add pepper, then the shredded cheese and you put in in the oven on "broil" for 2-3 minutes till the cheese becomes gooey.

The end.
Sounds delicious thank you for posting this! What kind of salsa do you personally use?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

I personally use no salsa whatsoever.

For this recipe, I used the "medium" version of a generic (Tostistos-like) brand.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sweet and Sour Pork Stir-Fry

Ingredients

1 lb pork tenderloin, cut in strips (I had about twice as much)
3 half bell peppers of varying colours, cut in cubes (I emptied by crisper)
1/2 red onion, sliced (I put in the whole)
3.5 oz snow peas (I put in what I had, chopped)
3/4 cup sweet and sour sauce (I had less, so I added chicken broth; I bought VH's)

(You can make sweet and sour sauce, and it's not that hard, but I went for what was easiest, fastest and, ultimately, cheapest.)

Preparation

In a pan or wok, you warm up a little low-flavour oil on low-medium heat.
You cook the vegetables 2-3 minutes. (I really just kept at them until they looked soft.)
Put them aside on a plate.
In the same pan/wok, you put in the pork strips (mine were more like medallions) and you cook them 2-3 minutes on each side. Until they're mostly cooked, really.
You add the sauce and bring it to a soft boil. You let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
Then you add the vegetables and keep it going for another minute or so.

And voila!

Orange beef

Ingredients

1 lb bifteck/beef surloin (again, I don't know how much I had, but was more than a pound)
1 cup of broccoli cut in florets (I used what I had)
1 oignon
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 yellow bell pepper
1 cup orange sauce

(Again, you can make orange sauce, and I've never tried, but it was easier, faster and, ultimately, cheaper to just buy mine.)

Preparation

In a pot of salted boiling water, blanche the broccoli florets for about a minute before putting them in cold water to stop the cooking.
Slice the onion thinly and cut the bell peppers into cubes.
Cut the meat in 1/4 inch strips and toss them in cornstarch.
In a pan or wok, heat up some oil on medium-high heat. Cook the beef about 1-2 minutes on each side until they're golden and crispy.
Put them aside on a plate and remove the excess oil from the pan.
In the same pan/wok, cook the onion and peppers for about 2 minutes.
Add the broccoli and keep cooking another minute.
Pour the orange sauce and bring to a boil.
Remove the pan/wok from the heat and add the beef back in it.
Incorporate everything good and well, and then serve.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Two questions:

1 - Anyone have a good honey-mustard chicken wings recipe, not too hot?

2 - Anyone have decent chicken off-cuts recipes? I'm talking hearts and kidneys, especially.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

OH that first one sounds good

But no to both, my mom used to make a stuffing out of turkey parts and it used to freak me out when I was little. Pretty tasty though

I've been tasked with finding a list of recipes that can work on a grill because it's looking like hurricane season isn't going to let up...

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

How involved are those recipes supposed to be? Because, where I grew up, grill cooking was pretty much all we did in summer. So I'm here to tell you that marinated meats do very well on the grill, assuming you know your cooking times and cooking heat.

If you want to do fish, I'd recommend you put them in an aluminium "papillotte" .

Vegetables, you can either do directly on the grill for hardy things like potatoes, or you can chop them up and, again, papillotte them or buy those disposable grill trays (or non-disposable, if you have any.)

But, of course, that's all super basic cooking.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread