Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2021, 03:18 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
It's a dangerous place for me also. But, you know me and my rules, I've decided that I can't order two t-shirts in the same colour, so that's helped me maintain some level of discipline. Also, they are back-order in my size (Large) in some of the options I'd go for, so that's also been helpful.

To be fair, I think my co-worker who went through three batteries is the record holder there, so you probably have no choice but to have better luck than her.

I've never had daikon, so far as I'm aware. I know what it is and I like Asian cooking when it's (a) not too spicy and (b) clearly free of things I don't/can't eat like pork and nuts. So there's a chance I've had daikon in restaurant meals because it's happened a fair amount of time that the "safe" option was a stir-fry and I genuinely like those in pretty much all the Asian cuisines I've sampled. I'm just not confident enough to cook with it as I'm not super fond of the local radishes. How would you say they compare?

So my neighbour opposite moved out today. Between the headache I still had when I woke up and the noise that comes with anyone moving out, I took the afternoon off work because I couldn't concentrate any more. But, as soon as this headached goes away, things are bound to be quieter around here. Unless the landlord takes this opportunity to make some renovations next door, as I understand my neighbour had lived there for many, many years. If nothing else, I would assume all the walls will need a fresh coat of paint.

Daikon pretty much tastes like a regular radish. it's just not as hard/crunchy compared to the common radish. Spiciness level varies it's great in salads, cooked in seaweed and miso broth or pickled. u can also grate them and make a croquette like u can do with carrots.

i'm sorry to hear about ur headaches. get good rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canflam (View Post)
All right. Here's some news: Anyone that's currently allowed to enter Canada can skip the 2-week quarantine if they meet requirements for being fully vaccinated. 2 doses of either the Astra-Zeneca Oxford, Moderna, or Pfizer vaccines or 1 dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will be needed to take at least 2 weeks before arriving. Beginning on August 9th, fully vaccinated U.S. citizens & permanent residents will be able to visit Canada without quarantining. The Canadian federal government plans to allow people from other countries to enter Canada without quarantining beginning on September 7th. More info about this is currently on the CBC app. That is how I learned of this news.
yeah that's great news
Old 07-20-2021, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

My head feels better. So

I'll have to try daikon at some point, but I'm not sure how. If it tastes a lot like a normal radish, then I'm not sure I'd like it. Which is why I'll need to try it at some point. Thanks for letting me know, though. I'll have some idea of what to expect, which always reassures me.

I prefer to make up my own mind about food, when it's possible anyway. I'm not about to start eating things I'm allergic to just to see if I regret not being able to eat them. At the same time, I'm not super comfortable flying in blind... I like to have some idea of what I'm getting into, even if I intend to find out for myself.

You know, I grew up on a well. I took a shower tonight while it was thundering and lightening outside and I realized that I'm still not over living on a well. Because I'm always afraid the power's gonna go out (which it does more often when you live in the country, not sure why) and I'd run out of hot water. So I rushed through my shower, which I usually hate doing. Mostly, though, I was thinking about how ridiculous I was being for acting as though I was in danger of running out of hot water because there's a storm outside. I've lived in the city nearly as long as I was on that well. I should have moved on!
Old 07-21-2021, 03:19 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

glad u're getting better

yeah it's better to have an idea what to expect in food before hand.

aww some things stay with us. it's normal.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:46 PM
I am a basketball genius!

I did not know that you grew up on a well. The U.S. unsurprisingly has extended the American/Canadian border closure to non-essential travel through August 21st.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

The U.S. is now extending the border closure? Well, that's ironic. All over the news on this side of the border, all we've heard is about U.S. pressure on our government to open the border to non-essential travel and, now that we're okay doing it, you guys are one ones extending the closure. Mind you, I'm okay with that. Till we're sure it's safe, we should proceed cautiously. I think Trudeau just wants to look good ahead of the upcoming election.

And, yeah, I grew up on a well. Ever seen the Blue Mountains of Vermont? I grew up not that far north from them in a perfectly normal house that was just far enough from "civilization" to warrant a well. It was totally normal to me, when I was growing up. Even after my parents split up and my mother moved out to the nearest town, I still didn't see my dad's house as being so usual. We had all the modern amenities. It's just that, when the power went out, so did the water.

I like having an idea of what I'm getting into when I try new things. I hate surprises. I'm more likely to like something if I can sorta mentally prepare myself for the experience. Not sure why that is, but...

Mind you, I didn't know what I was getting into when I got my first tattoo and I ended up enjoying it! I forget about that.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:31 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

How are things really going in the US? i keep seeing images of people living normally now down south without masks. i guess it varies from one state to another?

no power no water oh no

i think as we age, we tend to be cautious about new experience.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:20 PM
I am a basketball genius!

Well, it's not just southern states that are going maskless. They I think started before others, but here in Oregon & up in Washington it's no longer required to wear masks in stores. It is stil required though to wear them on any public transportation I believe including Amtrak & Greyhound.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:39 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

ohh i see

masks are still required anywhere indoor
Old 07-24-2021, 10:08 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, masks are required indoors, still. And, with the Delta variant coming our way from both directions, I have a feeling that's not gonna go away anytime soon. Unless it somehow doesn't affect us the same way it has everywhere else.

I'm looking forward to a very quiet weekend here. It's obviously hot and sunny out there, but I'm gonna stay close to home for a bit. Shocker, I know.

Annie's coming back next week to cut my hair. It made sense to not do it yesterday since I didn't have the afternoon off. I was watching an interview of a Quebec actor yesterday and he quoted her dad. Her dad was a teacher at one of the main acting schools in the province. So, I called her to let her know that this big, famous actor was quoting her dad. And she thought I was calling for help post-vaccine. I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine, so I'm not anticipating anything different.

While I was waiting to get mine, though, a young lady ahead of me fainted during her interview with the nurse. I hope she's okay. She's not the first person I've ever seen be overwhelmed by just the thought of getting a vaccine. My brother's getting better now that he's got kids (and thus a motivation to push through) but he used to faint pretty easily. And I've had friends who had similar reactions. It's just the way it is for a bunch of people.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:22 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

i was out and about. going to the Mt Royal and went to the movies.

glad u didn't get any reaction from the vaccine. i can imagine her concern when u called. happy to hear that her dad's students still remember him

ohh i hope she's ok. i've never witness this level of anxiety over a vaccine.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

You went to the movies? How was that? I don't remember the last time I actuall went to the cinema. It had been a long time, even before all this. I can't imagine how it is now... Though maybe people are feeling more relaxed now... So, yeah, how was the experience?

I'll be honest, from what everyone's told me, I was expecting this second jab to be much "worse" in terms of after effects. Everyone's said it was like the first, but made you feel more tired, more sniffly, more everything... I must be the exception that confirms the rule. I've slep a whole lot, but my arm doesn't even hurt anymore.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be so afraid of needles that the thought of a vaccine makes you faint when you're nowhere near it yet. It must be terrible. I laugh at my brother because that's what a sister does, but I honestly am so grateful that I don't have to go through that. I have endless admiration for my family and friends who do. And strangers, too. I mean, she did faint, but she also showed up, you know?

Anyway, because of sleeping a lot, the weekend's passed like a breeze for me. Not much to report. I anticipate tomorrow's return to work will be harsh.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:21 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

i was there early so i ate my popcorn in an empty theater. the fact that now u have to select seats and social distancing is integrated in the system, no one will be seating around u. there wasn't a lot of people when i saw Black Widow maybe 15-20. but do expect people to lower their mask once seated as they eat and then never put mask back on until they leave their seats.

yeah that's what i heard too. glad the symptoms weren't so hard on u.

yeah it takes courage for them to show up there and seeing needles as they see others getting their vaccine.

Monday is always harsh
Old 07-26-2021, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I've seen how people are a lot less careful/stressed/call it what you will once they've removed their mask once in public. I remember those two times I went to a restaurant with my stepdad... it was wild how quickly forgot to be careful. We seem to be doing okay regardless, of course.

Yeah, today was harsh. I have a feeling tomorrow might be worse. Why do I always forget that I at least have adrenaline going for me on Mondays? Oh, well. One thing at a time. I can't do more than that anyway.

How was your day?
Old 07-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

well people are fed up, think we're back to normal and start to talk about post-covid. i don't know if it's really over yet but i sure don't feel like it's behind us.

working way too much these days. trying to finish most things before vacation. pffff i finished work at 6pm again for F sake. they've authorised up to 14 hours overtime total for the whole summer. i'll only get 1.5 my wage unless i do 5 hours or more of overtime in a week.

i can't wait for my week off even if i don't have a lot of plans. the longest time off i had since i started this job was Christmas/New year.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Don't burn yourself out just so can take a vacation. Take care of yourself and then enjoy the time off. You deserve it.

I don't think you need to have plans to look forward to freedom. Plans will come up in good time.

I have a half-day on Friday and I'm very much looking forwards to it, even though the only "plans" I have are to get a haircut, and while I'm looking forward to seeing Annie, the haircut is something I need, not something I expect to enjoy.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread