Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

British Thread #61: Goodbye super summer, hello awful autumn

New thread

I made the title up in two seconds flat, don't laugh We can change it if anyone has a better idea.

With that i'm off to make dinner and watch Neighbours...
Old 09-05-2006, 05:53 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks, Cat! I like the title. Although I quite like Autumn

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

I've spent the last hour or so changing my bedsheets, hoovering and clearing out all the junk in my room. The mess had gotten to a point where i couldn't take it anymore. I'm shattered now. It isn't perfect but it's a damn site cleaner and tidier than it was - i can actually see my carpet again
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I hate tidying but it is so satisfying when it's done

Did you watch The OC finale?

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 08:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

I am tidy by nature but i'm also very lazy - when things do get in to a mess i can't be bothered tidying them up It does look much better now though.

Yes i did - i can't believe i actually set my alarm to watch something so depressing I got back in to bed to watch it and had the covers up at my chin during the final scene Is it wrong that i actually felt tears pricking my eyes? I couldn't help it.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I know what you mean. I'm not really messy but if things get messy it takes me a long time to tidy them

I cried the first time I saw it. I hate they were all happy and having fun then...bam. It was so unnecessary given that she was leaving anyway.

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I hate they were all happy and having fun then...bam. It was so unnecessary given that she was leaving anyway.
Exactly. Since Josh was so dtermined to get rid of her she was always going to go. But why did he have to kill Marissa? Couldn't she just have left to be with her Dad? Death is so depressing and final.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I think having her just leave would have been fine. His theory about how the show had got away from being Ryan was so lame...it's your show! Change the focus if you're not happy! Get rid of crappy Marissa-centric arcs like the Johnny snoozefest and give us something Ryan-related. You don't have to kill one character to shift focus, and seeing as they had the option of having her sail off it made the death seem even more forced. I wouldn't even call myself a Marissa fan but I hate it when TV shows kill people off seemingly just for the hell of it.

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

I absolutely agree. It's his show, if he wants it to be about Ryan he can make it so. I guess it just proves that he's not as good a writer as i thought. Yes finales should be dramatic, but it's not mandatory that someone has to die!

Do England play tomorrow night? I know Scotland play Lithuania in Kaunas. After Saturday's surprising goalfest the manager has a headache over which strikers to play!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Did Josh write much of S3? It's like he lost interest after S1. Watching S1 on E4 is nice but also such a reminder of what a let down it's been since then.

I have no idea about the football....just checked and yes we are playing. Macedonia. So let's hope we don't play like we did in the World Cup

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

In yesterday's paper John Terry was saying that he and the squad watched the Scotland game before their kick off and used it as inspiration for the hammering of Andorra. I bet that doesn't happen often

There is a total buzz up here when the national team wins so convincingly though. I nipped up to the pub for a quick drink last Saturday and one of the men there had been to the match and had a huge Saltire flag with him. Everyone ended up standing in the middle of the floor holding the flag and belting out Flower Of Scotland rather tunelessly I don't flaunt the fact, but i am very patriotic and it was a nice feeling
Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww, that's nice. As much seeing loads of England car flags annoyed me after a while it was nice to see people being patriotic. It's a very un-British, and I think particularly un-English, thing to do and it's nice when people get behind their country

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
it was nice to see people being patriotic. It's a very un-British, and I think particularly un-English, thing to do
I've noticed that Scotland, Ireland and Wales fans are very patriotic and back their countries to the hilt, while the English just seem very...blah about the whole thing. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that most foreigners think Britain equals England and that's it. The other three countries resent this because they are very proud of their own seperate identities and heritage, and so they take every chance they can to show their patriotism. That's my theory anyway.

Another thing that makes me proud to be Scottish is the Tartan Army. They back the team no matter how bad we get, and that can be pretty bad. But they're always there cheering the lads on and making friends wherever they go. If England ever played as badly as we do sometimes the fans would revolt! Whereas even when we lose the Scottish fans turn the whole occasion in to a party.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I have to say I cringe when you get (particularly American) people referring to the UK as England. Or acting like London is the only city here

I think English people are a bit embarrassed by being really patriotic It's just not what we do. Personally I'm proud to be English but I don't feel the need to tell people about it, you know? I consider myself as being English just as much as being British. Actually that whole issue of identity can be a bit confusing...it's like everyone has two countries to support. I do like it when we compete as Britain though, it's much friendlier

Kat | icon |
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I do like it when we compete as Britain though, it's much friendlier
Yes, and much less confusing

Although i resent the fact that tomorrow night in Scotland the England game is being shown on terrestrial telly and our own on digital. What is the point of that? Not everyone has digital TV and not everyone can afford to go to the pub instead.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread