Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 12:48 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Breaking Dawn Chapters 36+ Discussion

Only discuss chapters 36+ of Breaking Dawn in this thread. References can be made to previous chapters, but not to chapters after these. You may discuss things from Breaking Dawn on other threads on this board but only in spoiler tags until August 16th. After that you may talk about it freely.

These chapter threads are open to all shipper groups, so please respect everyone's opinion's and make sure you stick to the following rules:

Quote:
3. No bashing is allowed. Keep all negative thoughts to a minimum please. We can understand the need to defend your character and why he/she's the better choice for another but please focus on the couple at hand and don't get lost in discussing why the rival is so much worse than the character you yourself support.
Jen
Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 AM
Master Fan

I sooo dont want to be the first one to post..but I felt those last chapters were kindof a let down for some reason

More thoughts later..need some sleep first..

"If I hadn't gone into acting, I would be a horsetrainer or a tunnel digger...or a swan"

DEATHtoNORMALCY | VOTEforMISHA
BrokenButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Part-Time Fan

You know, I kind of agree. I was happy to read them and know, obviously, that Edward and Bella were together...but when it comes to them, I always feel like there is so much more to their story and I just want to keep reading.

Overall I really enjoyed the book, i'm going on minimal hours of sleep...thats for certain. Haha.
bljohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

020808: the day twilight died.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquity (View Post)
why? was it that bad?
colorblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Addicted Fan

It wasn't bad at all I loved it. The first and second time I read it Simply marvelous

But I still don't understand the title. Not once did I ever read about any dawn breaking or alluding to it. I could have possibly skipped over it, but and I still don't understand the cover...
Old 08-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Master Fan

hmmm, it could possibly allude to the fact that they're coming over the hill, to a new day, aka new life or something.

And maybe the red pawn is Nessie? With bella as the queen and her protector?
truroswellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Master Fan

When I wrote my opinion on the book I broke it down by "Book." And, since I've already given my copy to my sister to read I don't know what chapters go in which "Book" so I'm just going to post my entire review here. Hope that's ok:

Book I:
I realized why I disliked this part of the book so much and it's for the same reason that I found myself irritated through parts of Eclipse: Whiny Bella is nerve-grating. Emo-like Edward, too. But, back to the top - anyone else find the wedding really rushed? I know that most brides get distracted and don't really remember specifics of the day and since this was from Bella's POV, I guess I could try to understand it. But, I felt as if SM really just wanted to have them married and over with to get on with the story.

To the honeymoon - this is where I found Edward to grate my nerves. Maybe I can try to understand his "OMG I hurt my wife" part but it seemed really forced in the writing. The outcome of the honeymoon was very... obvious. Although, I'd be interested to hear SM's biology lesson on how this happened considering the "frozen state" that all vampires are in.

Overall, something about Book I really bothered me and it caused my initial dislike of what was to come.

Book II:
As a non-Jacob fan, I was surprised to really enjoy this part of the book. Reading it from his POV is certainly more interesting than getting peeved at Bella's constant disarray. I loved learning about the pack and how they worked. Seth and Leah have joined the ranks of Alice to be my 3 favourite secondary characters - BY FAR! I would love to learn more about Seth and Leah, perhaps from their POVs. I know this will probably never happen but it's something I can dream of.

Reneesme? Really? Carlie?? Seriously?? I know that SM is all full of cheesy effects but I felt I could do without this part. Of course, at the end of Book II I gasped to realize what just happened between Nessie and Jacob.

Book III:
This where I felt things were drawn out - like REALLY drawn out. I liked the snippets we got to see of Bella being a newborn with her first hunting trip. I felt here is where the storyline faltered. I know that SM wanted Bella to be different from all newborns in that she could turn away from her thirst of human blood and stop in the middle of a hunt. But really, it was so much pronounced that I felt we were slightly cheated. Was her thirst *that* easy to turn from? I wanted to feel the pull against it and Bella's fight to be different. It was just too easy.

I loved Bella's reaction to Jacob imprinting in Nessie. But this is where I realized that SM really just wanted that BIG RED BOW she spoke about in 2006 when she first announced that she had started writing Breaking Dawn. Jacob's undying love for Bella... his sexual dreams about her (mentioned more than once throughout Eclipse and Breaking Dawn)... all of that just vanished when he imprinted - on Bella's daughter? He's Bella's son-in-law? Anyone else find this really weird?

I see how this was necessary to be written to ensure that Sam's pack didn't try to abolish Nessie, but really? Too weird for words and may I say - contrived?

The whole part with the Volturi was extremely wordy and really just dragged. Some "fight." It sorely disappointed my expectations. I mean, in the previous 3 books we really got to see "fights" so-to-speak, but here it was just words with Bella's shield. Which brings me to my next point - could this part been anymore plagiarized from Lily Potter's love shield in HP? It just felt... off, to me.

I felt very unsatisfied with the build up to this big Volturi event and its ultimate conversation. I read somewhere that SM was told to tone down the violence in the writing of this 4th book but why take it ALL away?

I think the most unsatisfying part, for me, was the lack of writing on the Cullens. Alice was such a central part of the stories but in this book, while she was mentioned, that attachment that we always felt for her was missing. Same for the rest of the Cullen children - I felt like I was missing out on their banter consistently throughout the book. I guess it's because it was so pronounced in the previous 3 that it very noticeably missing here.

The ending was definitely SM's big red bow but it's like I was waiting for something more. After 700+ pages, I very much felt the... that's it?

I liked the book; was disappointed in parts but ultimately it did what SM wanted it to do - close the Bella/Edward storyline. Yet, I felt it was done in a very rushed, contrived way, to get to that end point. Part of me doesn't feel satisfied yet I'm forcing myself to be because hey(!), Bella and Edward (and Nessie) are living happily ever after, right? Right?

Something is missing and perhaps a re-read is necessary for me to find out what. Until then - I think I can be happy with the series as a whole rather than with them as individual books.

ETA: Something was bothering me since I started reading this book - that BD felt very "different" and didn't flow well from the previous 3 books. Well, mostly the latest two: New Moon and Eclipse. It struck me why today! The original sequel to Twilight was Forever Dawn, which was then put aside and New Moon became its sequel, followed by Eclipse. We all knew that large storylines form FD were being used in BD and somehow I think this is what caused that interruption of flow. BD felt very off in the continuation of Eclipse. Now I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Lastly, I'm still quite disappointed with the big Volturi fight that we were supposedly supposed to witness in this book. It turned out to be a couple of chapters of just conversation - BLEH.
iamsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Did you watch SM on Good Morning America? Where she said that Breaking Dawn was definitely the end for Bella? For Bella? For Bella? For? Bella? Bella? I don't know about you but this seems like a hint at a Nessie story to me
Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Loyal Fan

OMG I just finished it......I'm crossing my fingers for a Nessie story though.....
Angelus'sslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Elite Fan

Ahhhhhhhhh!!! I loved it!

When she finally got to let Edward into her thoughts... I loved it.
We're holding on and letting go || Tony DiNozzo & Ziva David
Ch♔ir / Delena / Densi / Caskett / ES / BROtp / Spuffy / JH ♪ Beth
TheMusicLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Supreme Fan

What did he hear? What a significant moment.

So when you healed me, you risked all of this getting out, didn't you?
Yeah.
Why?
It was you.
|Max Evans + Liz Parker|
Sawyer&Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 AM
New Fan

breaking dawn SPOILER confusion

you all probably heard that jacob imprints on bella and edward's kid. what does imprint mean?
twisterez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquity (View Post)
YES! So sad to see a series of book I enjoyed so much end in such a sad, weird note.

I feel bad by saying something like this, but if there are more books, specially with the whole Nessie thing, I won't be reading...
Old 08-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
you all probably heard that jacob imprints on bella and edward's kid. what does imprint mean?
I'm moving your question to the "Breaking Dawn Chapters 36+ Discussion" thread, since the people there have read the entire book and can possibly answer your question without being spoiled by it.

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
heartღaflutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread