Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2015, 07:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Wes Craven #2: RIP To The Master

Wes has been scaring audiences since the 70s (The Last House On The Left, The Hills Have Eyes), but it was in the 80s he found his greatest success with 1984's A Nightmare On Elm Street. His other 80s output include Deadly Blessing (1981), Swamp Thing (1982), The Hills Have Eyes 2 (1984), Deadly Friend (1986), The Serpent And The Rainbow (1988) and Shocker (1989).

Web Site:
The Official Site of Wes Craven, Filmmaker

After the 80s, Wes did The People Under The Stairs, returned to Elm Street with Wes Craven's New Nightmare, Vampire In Brooklyn, Red Eye, Cursed and had his biggest box office success with all 4 Scream films.

Previous Threads
http://www.fanforum.com/f129/wes-cra...ream-63146016/
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

That final picture of him at the bottom makes me cry....in a good way. Thank you.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

So sad. Rest in peace Wes.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I love that pic.

I used Barry's OP.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

I just wrote this on Facebook that shares a personal story about the first horror movie I saw and how important Wes is to me and many others:

It's hard to put into words how much a person can mean to us. A person can impact someone's life with just a friendly glance from a distance, holding a door at the store or simply saying hi while walking by. Giving someone inspiration and motivation is call for a higher degree of caring. Wes Craven did just that. For me and millions of others.

For all of you that know me, horror movies are my number one love in life (next to my wife). I've seen in the ballpark of 5,000 last time I counted, and have admired most of them. It all started with Wes Craven, though. My very first horror movie that I saw, between the age of 2 and 3, was A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. My Uncle Mark was babysitting me and put a blanket over my head so as not to scare me. Of course, it had holes in it and I was just so captivated. The beginning scene with the bus to the gym teacher getting murdered all stuck with me and I remember to this day seeing those for the first time. Of course, Wes Craven was only mildly involved in that movie and was more of less there in spirit as creating the characters/universe for the movie to exist in. However, it fueled and kicked off my life of loving horror. I was never afraid of horror films because of early interviews I saw in the early 90s with Wes Craven, John Carpenter, etc... about how they made movies not to scare us, but to make us realize how scary life was without their movies and that their movies are an escape and a comfort.

From that, I was able to love and admire all film as a work of art and someone's love for what they do rather than taking it at face value. It's for those believes that I was brought up that I rarely hate on a movie. Someone somewhere was able to see a shimmer of light in that idea and by that movie making it to wherever it ended up (theater, straight to dvd, etc..) it got made and that was someone's dream coming true each film I saw.

Throughout my years on this planet, it all came back to Wes Craven. My love for his series like Scream and A Nightmare on Elm Street grew while I gained a love for his earlier classics like Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes. Hell, I even love Deadly Blessing. Wes Craven is someone that is on a short list of horror greats that I go to grow up and live my life admiring everything he does. It is for that, and everything he gave the world, that today is a heavy day in our lives as we honor the lifelong legacy of a passion for film....we honor a man's devotion to giving the world a few hours each year to forget about their lives and disappear into a world of chaos...Wes Craven, thank you. Rest in Peace.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

RIP Wes Craven.

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

ic: shinebrighterxx
Jason Morgan | Wanda Maximoff | Prince Zuko/Mai | Prince Zuko/ Sukka | Draco/Pansy/Blaise/Theo | Princess Zelda / Link | Clark & Lois
Old 08-30-2015, 10:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

That was a nice one, Matt,
Old 08-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Thank you, Melis. I'm not going to post here until Barry and Jen can read it (not to put my story above others, but I feel it's a nice obituary from one lover of film to another and want to share it to help in this time)
Old 08-30-2015, 10:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

I'm not sureJen will read it since she's not into horror.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:58 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm gutted, what he did for the horror genre and for my love of film is irreplaceable.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:20 AM
Moderator Support Team

that's so sad I loved his movies.
icon by
Old 08-31-2015, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

That was beautiful, Matt. Moving and touching and true.

Last night, before I went to work, I dug out the letter I got from Wes when I wrote him for an autographed picture in the mid 90s or so. I will post what it said later today.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 08-31-2015, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Thanks for the links, Jen. It does the heart good seeing and hearing all the love for Wes that is out there.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Wow, that's a lot.

We'd love to see it, Barry.