Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 07:14 AM
Extreme Fan

80s Books, Book Series, Magazines:

Hi everyone! I thought I'd get this thread started ever since I discovered some books in my garage.

Amongst the brown boxes, I found a couple of books belong to a young adult/teen horror Series called Twilight.

Does anyone actually remember these books? LoL.
It was a limited run during the 80s from, I believe: 1982-1987. I'm not exactly sure.

I feel like we've come such a long way in horror series for teens and adults. These books I've read so far are just awesome because you can kind of see how these stories kind of later evolved to the R.L. Stine series, and Christopher Pike.

I thought I'd post some images of the book cover designs. Some of them are hilarious.

FYI: This is for all teen series, and not just the Twilight Series Here are a list of some other popular books that came out too:

Stephen King

The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger Novel 1982
The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three Novel 1987

I know there are a lot more, so you guys can feel free to add on

Last edited by Barrybgb; 10-12-2017 at 08:33 AM
Old 02-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Master Fan

Oh, such an excellent topic. I need to check and see which series I read back in the day that actually are from the decade, since I read lots of stuff and I'm not entirely sure what was released before.

this idea.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Extreme Fan

You know, what I do remember and love the most from the 80s was watching Megan Fellows in Anne of Green Gables. Although the book series were not from the 80s, the movie on PBS definitely popularized it!

Seriously, looking back on it now, can you imagine any show where the lead herione has her main love interest tell everyone, "Being smart is better than being pretty?"

It's funny, and I hate to admit that I'm a follower of anything really, but as a kid watching that series, and reading those books, it clearly set my priorities straight.

Now, if only we had more shows with that kind of message out these days
Old 02-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Addicted Fan

As a teen, I read so many the thrillers and horror novels written by R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike. (They wrote mostly in the early 90s, but Christopher Pike had a lot of stuff that came out in late 80s) They were just so good, and I love each and every one I read.

Regarding the "Anne of Green Gables" series - my Auntie Carm bought me the whole collection, I have not yet read them. But this summer I am going to read them.

"No matter what kind of day I am having butterflies will always help me cope."
Old 02-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Total Fan

Great topic!

My best friend was heavily into Sweet Valley High. I saw her blow $100 bucks at a bookstore once for those books. Serious stuff, that.

Do you guys remember Choose Your Own Adventure? You follow the book along and it would give you choices at each stage of the story. I'd always read the ending first.

There is another series that I can't remember the name of. It was a solve-a-mystery kind of thing. I'll have to think about that one.

Um...it was in high school that I got into romance novels.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovieGrrl

Seriously, looking back on it now, can you imagine any show where the lead herione has her main love interest tell everyone, "Being smart is better than being pretty?"

It's funny, and I hate to admit that I'm a follower of anything really, but as a kid watching that series, and reading those books, it clearly set my priorities straight.

Now, if only we had more shows with that kind of message out these days
You're absolutely right.

I think my current avatar is quite telling when it comes to Anne of Green Gables.
Old 02-19-2005, 03:34 PM
Extreme Fan

OMG! Yes, Choose your own adventure books were sooo awesome hehe, I only wish they made movies like that...hmm can anyone say Gigli? LOL.

Oh, the Anne of Green Gable series, I believe, spiked in sales and popularity as soon as the miniseries came out on PBS. I remember thinking, wow, it's on public television...it's not sesame street, but I'm actually paying attention.

I was born in the late seventies, so yeah, Sesame Street was the ****znit. lol. I wish it was like that now...I mean, remember how they actually had more than just Elmo? I like Oscar, and man loved the Burt and Ernie Odd Couple skits.

Anyhow, I digress. Does anyone remember The Babysitter's Club books? I totally remember Sweet Valley High...wasn't there a series about it too?
Old 02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Master Fan

I own all the BSC books and I own about half of the Sweet Valley books. There wasn't just Sweet Valley High but also Sweet Valley Twins, Unicorn Club, Sweet Valley Jr. High, SVH Senior, Sweet Valley University, SVU, and Elizabeth. For a brief time there was Team Sweet Valley but I've only heard about two books.

And there was a TV show about the Wakefield twins, that came in the 90s and the first season is being released on DVD on March 8th.. only about 2.5 weeks away.

Gaby
I made my icon.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Extreme Fan

wow, what a coincedence. lol, considering how we're chatting about it now.

I know this subject kind of bleeds between lat 80s early 90s but does anyone remember Swan's Crossing? I can't remember exactly what date, except that Sarah Michelle Gellar was in it as well as one of the girls from SVH

Okay, so I'm little obsessed with the cover art and storylines of these 80s horror teen books. LoL. It's total nostalgia factor, and I just love how it's soo different in style to what we're kind of use to seeing now on the covers of most young adult fics. I think there is more emphasis on texture, and style...whereas, I think in the 80s most YA books were meant to be just amusing, or intriguing. Here are a couple of images from the Twilight Series I've been mentioning.

I thought they look really cheesy now, but as a kid I remember looking at those covers and thinking... "I gotta read what that book is about!" LOL.

ETA: As hard as it is to believe now, these twilight book series are rare, and hard to find, mostly--imo--because they were the first of their genre (horror) that became a steady series for young adults...I think this paved way for more marketable series like the R.L. Stine and Christopher Pike books which I love!

I thought for fun we could maybe post some images of some of our favorite 80s book cover art, and maybe talk about it
Old 02-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, that is a little weird. But really cool at the same time. I never really saw an episode of the TV show. Cuz the only one I saw (and I don't even know which one it is), I saw it when I was in Italy in the last two weeks of August '01 so it was obviously dubbed into Italian. I just got out of the shower at our rental house and my sister had the TV on and she was like, "Look, Gab. Sweet Valley High is on." I had to do a double take. I only remember looking at a milk carton cuz that was in English.

I RL Stine (well, the Fear Street books, not Goosebumps) and Christopher Pike books. I'll have to try and find those Twilight books since you say they were the predecessor of their books. My public library probably has them. They have a lot of books that came out a while ago. There was this one book that I loved, I think it came out in the 80s (that's why I'm mentioning it here), that was like a Back to the Future sort of book cuz these kids go back in time and mess up their parents getting together so they have to fix it. Okay, I remember Davenport was the last name of the kids. There was a brother and a sister. I don't remember the name of the author or the book right now but I will go to my library on Tuesday and look it up.
I made my icon.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovieGrrl
OMG! Yes, Choose your own adventure books were sooo awesome hehe, I only wish they made movies like that...hmm can anyone say Gigli? LOL.
Haha!

Quote:
I was born in the late seventies, so yeah, Sesame Street was the ****znit. lol. I wish it was like that now...I mean, remember how they actually had more than just Elmo? I like Oscar, and man loved the Burt and Ernie Odd Couple skits.
Completely agree. Elmo was a new and side character back then. I remember more songs and such.

Anyhow, I digress. Does anyone remember The Babysitter's Club books?[/QUOTE] I remember those books! I didn't read them, however.

Any fans of VC Andrews here? I read Flowers in the Attic in 5th grade.
on a Miracle Drug
Old 02-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Extreme Fan

The Babysitters club and Sweet Valley high I must have had hundreds of those books all together!
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyZ
Haha!

Completely agree. Elmo was a new and side character back then. I remember more songs and such.

Anyhow, I digress. Does anyone remember The Babysitter's Club books?
I remember those books! I didn't read them, however.
Any fans of VC Andrews here? I read Flowers in the Attic in 5th grade.[/QUOTE]

I LOVE VC Andrews! I was about 11 when I first read Flowers in the attic..I was hooked..And I own most of her books I still read them every now and again She had some imagination!
Old 02-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyZ
Great topic!

My best friend was heavily into Sweet Valley High. I saw her blow $100 bucks at a bookstore once for those books. Serious stuff, that.

Do you guys remember Choose Your Own Adventure? You follow the book along and it would give you choices at each stage of the story. I'd always read the ending first.
i've got one of those somewhere. i always cheated too. i wonder if anyone didn't lol. i never read sweet valley high. it seemed to become popular over here later. my sister had some but i was too old for it by then.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Extreme Fan

VC Andrews? OMG, totally forgot about that! How could I? I completely fell in love with the movie...LOL, "Eat the cookie, Mother!!"

I began reading flowers in the attic, and I hate to admit this...but even though incest was involved, the characters were not really giving me the impression that they were ever really any brother/sister vibes...do you guys know what I mean?
Hmmm...

I LOVE the Culter Family series. Web of Dreams is seriously one of my all time favorite books...makes you appreciate family more, that's for sure.

Does anyone know how the order of the series, meaning, the different family chronicles? I forget. Still love VC Andrews