Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2023, 08:37 PM
Moderator Manager

And now I can see it.

August 4, 2013...it has been 10 years since Peter was announced as the new Doctor. 10 years. WTH.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

L i N d $ @ y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:17 AM
Moderator Support Team

I know insane how has ot been 10 years ?
Old 08-13-2023, 02:06 AM
Moderator Manager

That also means I've been in the fandom for 10 years because I caught up with the show when Peter was announced.

Old 08-15-2023, 07:22 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
That also means I've been in the fandom for 10 years because I caught up with the show when Peter was announced.
Oh really which means I'm like 15 years or so I was with David 3rd season
Old 08-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Moderator Manager

Probably longer than 15 for you, I think.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:53 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Probably longer than 15 for you, I think.
Maybe haha I can't remember now
Old 08-20-2023, 08:15 PM
Moderator Manager

Even me with HP, I can't exactly remember when but for sure it was around 2001 or maybe even earlier for me.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Even me with HP, I can't exactly remember when but for sure it was around 2001 or maybe even earlier for me.
From when you read it?
Old 08-21-2023, 07:44 PM
Moderator Manager

I watched the first movie and then read the books after that. So I guess 2001 for me.

Old 08-22-2023, 06:28 PM
Absolute Fan

Here we go with the start of the Twelfth Doctor Era.

Deep Breath
* I was a little bit let down by the conclusion of the Eleventh Doctor's tenure on the show, largely because there ought to have been far more connectivity between the final 3 episodes of Series 7 than there was given the naming convention of said episodes, and those issues did kind of bleed into this story as well

* I haven't made it a secret that my favorite incarnation of The Doctor overall is Colin Baker's Sixth Doctor, and Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor gives me everything that I love about 'Ol' Sixie' mixed with a bit of the First Doctor as played by William Hartnell and David Bradley; I also found it interesting that he couldn't quite remember where he'd previously seen his new face before

* I was really enjoying Clara before Steven Moffat revealed the mystery surrounding her and then suddenly and inexplicably abandoned everything that he'd been doing with her, and that sense of disjointedness does get compounded here because he tries to make her pissed off about Eleven's regeneration in a way that doesn't work and ends up being an active detriment to her characterization

* Having said that, though, I did like the callback to her hanging up the TARDIS phone on Trenazlore because I wasn't expecting that moment to have any significance and was therefore pleasantly surprised when it did; I also liked the fact that Eleven called her from the past/future because it's a nice subtle reference to The End of the World where Rose calls her mom and her mom answers at a point before Rose had actually met Nine and to Twelve himself directly addressing his next incarnation as he's regenerating (which is one of the only moments with Twelve that I'd actually previously seen)

* Moffat bringing back story elements from The Girl in the Fireplace was also something that I wasn't expecting and that pleasantly surprised me, although I don't think burning a T-Rex alive was entirely necessary

* Because I've seen the last three episodes of Twelve's tenure and because I'm not adverse to spoilers, I knew who Missy was from the moment she shows up in the Coda, although I do wish that Moffat hadn't had her hang a lampshade on whether Twelve straight-up committed a murder because I don't personally think it diminishes Twelve in any way to let the audience think that he might've done so

* The last thing I want to touch on concerns Vastra, Jenny, and Strax; it was fun to see them come back, but I really do not like Strax; when he was first introduced, the schtick that they gave him was amusing, but it's just become tiresome, repetitive, and offputting with every one of his subsequent appearances and he comes across as mentally impaired; it also doesn't help that they decided to apply the character schtick they created for him to the Sontaran race in general

Despite my dislike of Strax and the problems I have with what Moffat tried to do with Clara here that compounded what he did with her in The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor, I really liked this story on the whole and am going to give it a rating of 4.8 out of 5

Into the Dalek
* For all of the issues that I had with Moffat trying to suddenly and inexplicably rewrite and redefine Clara's character in The Day of the Doctor, The Time of the Doctor, and Deep Breath, I did like the fact that this story started to 'smooth things out a bit' for her by introducing Danny Pink and having her start to develop a romantic interest in him

* Because I had previously seen the final three stories of the Twelfth Doctor Era, I'd already been introduced to Rusty, which made it fun for me to go back and see his actual debut in the series

* One of the YouTube channels that I follow for Doctor Who content criticized this story for recycling ideas from Let's Kill Hitler, Dalek, and Journey's End, but I don't really understand why repeating the specific beats that the story does repeat is seen as being bad, especially not when the story is also directly reminiscent of two Classic Who stories that I personally list as,favorites, namely Carnival of Monsters and The Invisible Enemy

* The one criticism I have of this story is Twelve's harshness towards Journey Blue at the end of the story simply because she's a soldier, although I did run into an article online that tried to justify it by tying it to the recency of the introduction of the War Doctor and the ambiguity of whether or not The Doctor now remembers what was done to save Gallifrey

* I thought it was clever that the thing that Twelve was trying to fix about Rusty ended up backfiring and he had to essentially 'break things' again in order to save the day; I also liked that he ended up needing to rely on Clara to be the one to 'break' what he'd just 'fixed' in conjunction with his own actions

* I really liked this one a lot, and so it's getting a rating of 4.8 out of 5

Robot of Sherwood
* I know that this fact can sometimes get overlooked in the modern era, but Doctor Who is and will always be somewhat inherently Camp, and I love it when the show leans into that element of its premise, which it wholeheartedly does with this story

* The characterization of Robin here reminded me very much of Richard Mace, a supporting character from the Eric Saward-penned 5th Doctor story The Visitation, which was fun

* As originally shot, the episode apparently included a death scene for the Sheriff that would have undercut (no pun intended) an aspect of the episode that I personally really enjoyed (the idea that all of the characters besides the robot knights were actually real people whose exploits had faded into mythology and legend), and so I'm happy that said scene was excised

* I loved the interplay between Twelve and Robin, Twelve and Clara, and Clara and Robin here; their interactions really reminded me of the initial interplay between Nine, Rose, and Captain Jack, which was neat

* I really liked the scene between Twelve and Robin where they discuss the nature of heroes because it really highlights just how similar they are in ways that their constant bickering didn't

* "I have no sword. I don't need a sword. Because I am the Doctor... And this is my spoon" is quite possibly one of the funniest pieces of dialogue ever written, and Peter Capaldi delivers it perfectly, channeling his inner Tom Baker in the process

* This story wasn't quite epic and bombastic enough to earn a perfect score, but it comes oh so close, ultimately getting a rating of 4.9 out of 5 from me
"Two hearts. One happy. One sad." - Thirteenth Doctor
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 05:07 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I watched the first movie and then read the books after that. So I guess 2001 for me.
Ohh I Rea's the 1st one as a class back in the day I remember when they cast the kids for the movie to .. way back when

DigificWriter have to agree about Clara her own storyline never really made sense to me and I hate it
Old 08-23-2023, 08:14 PM
Moderator Manager

Yep! Dan, Rupert & Emma were so young back then.

Old 08-24-2023, 03:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

Yep I remember, my teacher rolling a TV and we watched jt or the news announcement so fun

Man I love Peter love him so much
Old 08-25-2023, 08:34 PM
Moderator Manager

Oh wow, that's such a nice memory.

I miss Peter, I really enjoyed his time on the show.

Old 08-27-2023, 03:48 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Oh wow, that's such a nice memory.

I miss Peter, I really enjoyed his time on the show.
It was

I do miss him to
Reply   Post New Thread