Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 02:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Can I be added please. I've only gotten through my first two disc of Torchwood episodes 1-5 Cyberwoman is my favourite episode so far which wasnt a surprise to me as Jack and Ianto are equal on my list of fav characters and it was a really great episode for Ianto character and a good point int he Jack/Iant relationship which I knew I'd love.

Character wise so far as I said Jack and Ianto are my favourite characters despite Ianto not getting enough screentime IMO but when he does get it he tends to steal the screen again JMO. How can anyone not love Jack? He's by far one of the best characters written and John's acting is incredible.

After that Tosh, I just love the character in general. Like int he first episode when she takes alien tach home with her, she not neccisarily taking it home to cause distruction or like Owen to spray people in the face so he can get some.

Owen comes after that, I wasnt cool with what he did in the first episode, spray that guy so he'd want him. That guy never would have kissed him without it so that sat wrong with me but aside from that I dont have a problem with his character and he makes me laugh at points so that works. And even if he can be an arse at times he does show that he has that deeper side - like in the episode with the ghosts. He cared, he felt it and he cared. I think theres a lot of room to develop that character, they could go so many places with him.

Gwen kinda annoys me Im probably one of the only people who doesnt really like her. I dont hate her, she doesnt drive me mad but I dont really like her either. I cant really pinpoint what it is just yet she's just a little annoying and I think at times comes off as a little self centered - again JMO.

Ship wise Ianto/Jack was always gonna be my ship LOL and Jack/Gwen kinda rubs me the wrong way. I havent really got to Owen/Gwen yet but considering she'd be cheating on Rys I dont think I will get into that much, just another thing to add to the list of attributes I dont like about Gwen.

But so far loving it. Cant wait to watch more, why was work created?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Master Fan

Seeing as how we're reccing fics this is my all time favourite TW fic, but it is awesome, even if most other TW fic annoys me.

Employee Benefits by Mimarie

It's Owen centric and it has his character down to a absolute T.
There is Jack/Owen but it's all in character, it's set pre series, it's rated but it's Owen, so not suprising.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

only dreaming, I know alot of people who don't care for Jack/Gwen. So, no worries. That's the excellent thing about Torchwood for shipping, infinate possibilites.

Mandy
Old 09-19-2007, 03:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah theres definately a lot there and since im strickly a UC shipper my mind goes a little crazy LOL like Ianto/everyone Ianto/The Doctor interests me the most though

You can call me Mel
Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Master Fan

I pretty much ship anyone, except Jack/Ianto, I'd say my favourites are Jack/Gwen and Ianto/Tosh, I think Ianto/Owen has potential though I've read some good fics, it's the whole 'love/hate but mostly hate' thing I like with those two.

One of the things I find most interesting about TW is the team dynamic, it wasn't explored enough in S1, IMO, there all anti social to a certian extent and the people there with are the people they see everyday, I wish that was explored meore.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Total Fan

A friend of mine gets BBC America and plans to start watching Torchwood even though she's never seen Doctor Who (which may or may not be a good thing from what I've heard). She's even willing to tape it for me. I'm sure I'll still be way behind everyone here but at least I'll get past the starting gate.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It is possible to watch Torchwood without watching DW but you’d have to do some digging into Jack’s past and why he is the way he is. BBC America ran a seven minute special called Who is Captain Jack? that gives, in brief all you basically need to know about him that happened in Dr. Who – meeting Rose in the blitz, their flirtation, some of the footage of him almost exploding in The Doctor Dances, Daleks and so on. You might suggest o her she try and find that. If you want to watch all the episodes of Torchwood you can find them online at both youtube and veoh. That’s what I did. I got addicted.

I like Ianto too, Mel. I have an icon of him from Countrycide that says ‘hug the poor emo receptionist’ and you really should. He’s so darn cute, like a puppy you want to love. Speaking of Ianto, I found a clip of Gareth David-Lloyd singing Roadhouse Blues and he's also a very good singer. His genre is certainly not John Barrowmans but it just makes me really want that musical episode that JB is pulling for in S2.

SiriuslyPotter I agree, I hope it’s developed a little more next year. I want to see more from all of them, more like the bits of them talking about silly, everyday kind of stuff like the snogging thing. I loved that. Do you like Owen/Tosh at all?

Mandy
Old 09-21-2007, 04:37 AM
Elite Fan

Welcome Mel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by only dreaming (View Post)
I've only gotten through my first two disc of Torchwood episodes 1-5 Cyberwoman is my favourite episode so far
Oh I love Cyberwoman, that's one of my top 3 episodes.

Not only did we finally learn a bit more about Ianto, but we got to see the team deal with one of their one betraying them. I really loved everything then went on in that episode.

I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Especially about Ianto's screen time, I hope that will change for the better in season 2.
Same with Tosh. Although she had a lot of screen time, they just didn't use it as good as they could, so I'd like more storylines involving her.
Quote:
Gwen kinda annoys me Im probably one of the only people who doesnt really like her.
No you are not.
I don't particularly like her.
Mainly because of something she'll do later on (don't want to spoil you if you haven't seen it yet). But also because she has more screen time than Jack. If they pushed her a bit in the background instead of giving her the spotlight I'd probably like her better.

As for Jack/Gwen I like them as friends. I enjoy rooftop scenes. But I don't see them romantically. Sure, Jack vibes with everyone, but to me he's more looking after her, in a big brother type of way (as much as it's possible to say something like that for Jack ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyPotter (View Post)
One of the things I find most interesting about TW is the team dynamic, it wasn't explored enough in S1, IMO, there all anti social to a certian extent and the people there with are the people they see everyday, I wish that was explored meore.
I believe chances are we'll see that in season 2.
In season 1 everyone had a secret or a reason to keep away from others. Jack couldn't be honest with them, because they didn't know he's immortal. Ianto first hid a cyber girlfriend, and then he was busy dealing with the depression and consequences. Owen and Gwen tried to keep their affair from others. And Tosh, well she's kinda shy.
But by the finale everything is in the open so I'm hoping for more team quality time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom (View Post)
A friend of mine gets BBC America and plans to start watching Torchwood even though she's never seen Doctor Who (which may or may not be a good thing from what I've heard). She's even willing to tape it for me. I'm sure I'll still be way behind everyone here but at least I'll get past the starting gate.
So glad you'll get a chance to watch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
I have an icon of him from Countrycide that says ‘hug the poor emo receptionist’ and you really should.
Adorable.

I love that Gareth Roadhouse Blues clip from James's concert.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KervyQT16 (View Post)
SiriuslyPotter I agree, I hope it’s developed a little more next year. I want to see more from all of them, more like the bits of them talking about silly, everyday kind of stuff like the snogging thing. I loved that. Do you like Owen/Tosh at all?

Mandy
Yeah, I like Owen/Tosh, and I love that they do seem to be frieds, like in Ghost Machine when they're talking after work, and Owen may be a git to her, but I really do think he cares about her.

Quote:
But also because she has more screen time than Jack. If they pushed her a bit in the background instead of giving her the spotlight I'd probably like her better.
Hmm, well she is the female lead, and she's how the audience is introduced to the world of TW3, so I don't mind her getting more screentime, I think she's an interesting character so it doesn't bother me.

With Ianto, I like him, I just found his characterization sloppy, so I don't like him as much as the others, and I don't really find him attractive so I can't just be shallow.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:27 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Hmm, well she is the female lead, and she's how the audience is introduced to the world of TW3, so I don't mind her getting more screentime, I think she's an interesting character so it doesn't bother me.
I think they planned for the audience to identify with Gwen. Which didn't happen with me. I can do that better with Ianto and Tosh, so I guess that's part of the reason why I like them so much.
But I usually have that problem with TV shows, the characters that the writers push forward don't interest me, and I always fall for the 'underdog' ones, especially if they're geeky/snarky.

The thing is my main interest is Jack, so I'd really like to see (a lot) more of him. He took the backseat in some of the episodes, and I didn't like that much.
Hopefully now with his secret out, there will be more stories about him they'll want to tell.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Master Fan

I think they want to keep Jack an enigma, so maybe that's why.
I know Rusty and Co have no sense of subtle characterization, so they have to have either play a major part or he's not in it much.

I don't really identify with Gwen either, I still like her though she's trying to keep her working and real life so far apart, and she's cracking up under pressure.
I like that in characters, not perfect, but real, and I find Eve Myles to be adorable.

I think I identify with a mix of Owen and Tosh, wierd huh?
I'm not a deliberately rude as Owen, nor am I as naive as Tosh but I can't help finding similarities with them two.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think that Gwen plays an important part in the dynamic of T3. She is clearly the most empathic individual on the team and I think her essence bolsters Jack. There is something about the two of them, whether you ship them or not, that exists. I hope that they explore that. After all she waited with him for goodness knows how long in the season finale.

Owen and Tosh together I think would make up a lot of personalities, a lot of my friends actually. Tosh is so analytical, I just love her.

Mandy
Old 09-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't mind Gwen, but TW was originally promoted as the Captain Jack spin-off, and I tuned in to get more background on him. So I was a bit frustrated at how he got pushed to the background almost as the shadowy boss figure, and it became the Gwen and Owen show at times. More time was spend developing their affair, than was spend on Jack's whatever it is he has with Ianto

If it's not going to be a vehicle for Captain Jack, then I wish that it would at least be a better ensemble and stop ignoring Tosh and Ianto. The episode that did focus on Captain Jack, was my favourite of the season
Old 09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike it up (View Post)
I think they planned for the audience to identify with Gwen. Which didn't happen with me. I can do that better with Ianto and Tosh, so I guess that's part of the reason why I like them so much.
But I usually have that problem with TV shows, the characters that the writers push forward don't interest me, and I always fall for the 'underdog' ones, especially if they're geeky/snarky.
ITA. I cant identify with her at all and I usually dont like the characters that are shoved in your face.

I can understand Gwen getting a lot of screentime, she is the character your suppose to identify with because she has more "humanity" and your suppose to trust her and want her to succeed and do well and all that jazz but I think they focus too much on her. Its possible to still have Gwen as a strong character, a leading female and not compromise everyone elses scren time. They could balance out the screentime a lot better than they do. When the episodes arent focused on Gwen so much I tend to enjoy them more.

I didnt really love the first episode, I loved all the intros and the flirting with Jack/Ianto but it was too Gwen centered which is why I love Cyberwoman a lot because it was more focused on Ianto and the team as a whole - the more eps like that the better. Hopefully in season 2 they learn to balance out the screentime a lot more.
Old 09-22-2007, 02:29 AM
Elite Fan

Same here, I like Gwen but I can't really identify with her and she does have too much screentime sometimes; I wish they would develop some other characters too

I would hate to miss another boat
Closed Thread   Post New Thread