Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Elite Fan

Russell T. Davies Appreciation Thread #1: He brought it all back.

Russell T Davies, OBE (born Stephen Russell Davies, 27 April 1963), is a Welsh television producer and writer. He is known for controversial drama serials such as Queer as Folk and The Second Coming, and for spearheading the successful revival of the popular science-fiction television series Doctor Who. He created the latter's spin-off series Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures. (wikipedia)

His works:
- "Doctor Who" (2005-2010)
- "The Sarah Jane Adventures" (2007-2009)
- "Torchwood" (2006-2009)
- "Queer as Folk" (2000-2005)
- "Casanova" (2005)
- "Bob & Rose" (2001)
- "A Writer's Tale" (2009)
|it's about time
Old 10-10-2009, 06:21 AM
Elite Fan

I was just watching "Bob & Rose" and was wondering why we never had a thread for Russell where we can talk about his other works, as well

Also, "Bob & Rose"? Is like a who is who of who
|it's about time

Last edited by Mrs.Almeida; 10-10-2009 at 07:01 AM
Old 10-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks so much for starting this thread! I agree, we should've had one AGES ago, but better late than never

I've never watched Bob & Rose, but I'm definitely interested in checking it out. I've seen a few of his episodes of QaF and thought they were really good, but I'm a fan of the US version so I found it hard to get through them... Yes, it's VERY rare that I actually prefer a remake, and an American remake at that, but I do with this.. not to say that QaF UK is bad, far from it, it might even be better than the American version, quality wise, but.. I just love the US version and the characters/actors
Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Addicted Fan

i really love the second coming, Its well acted and well written
Old 10-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Elite Fan

I have to admit that my favourite thing of Rusty, after DW, was the Writer's tale book I just loved reading that book so much.
|it's about time
Old 10-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Almeida (View Post)
I have to admit that my favourite thing of Rusty, after DW, was the Writer's tale book I just loved reading that book so much.
I loved the Writers Tale, I read it quite recently, it was fascinaing.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Elite Fan

I am really excited about the revised version that is supposed to come out early 2010.

I just finished "Bob & Rose" Shame the show only had 6 episodes.
Such wonderful show.
|it's about time
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Addicted Fan

Russell has done some amazing things but after DW, I think my favourite would be 'The Second Coming'

That is simply awesome, though I'm not religious in any way. I just thought the whole concept of it was utterly brilliant. It's also one of Chris Eccleston's finest performances, along with Lesley Sharp.

We are all stories in the end
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Elite Fan

I don't think I ever watched that film. What is it about?
|it's about time
Old 12-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Elite Fan

A brilliant interview where Russell picks his Top 10 moments. And even though not everything is correct in this it is a fun read - and Rusty is such a shipper
(no spoiler)

Russell T. Davies's favourite Doctor Who moments - Times Online
|it's about time
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Almeida (View Post)
I don't think I ever watched that film. What is it about?
Chris Eccleston plays Steve Baxter, a video shop worker, who is found wandering the Yorkshire Moors after 40 days and nights mumbling he is the Son of God. Steve isn't mad- he is the Second Coming. He needs to stage a major event to get the world to sit up and take notice, so he performs a miracle by turning night into day at Manchester City Football ground. The world's media kicks into a frenzy. Steve has a single purpose-mankind must produce a Third Testament or face Judgement Day. In 5 days time, fear, cynicism and violence erupt and worldwide panemonium ensues. But if God is real then so is the Devil. Can the Third Testament be found in time? Can the Son of God save the human race?

Blurb from the DVD cover I have. It didn't sound my kind of thing but it is truly awesome and Russell has written a fantastic script. I supect this is why Chris Eccleston is such a fan of Russell.

Just wanted to show some love for Russell On Gallifrey Base, there's nothing but classic Who fans slagging him off which I think is unfair. Fair enough, you don't have to like all his stories but I personally think he is a top writer and I love what he did with Doctor Who. Who fans need to credit him with the show's revival. I'm not entirely convinced anyone else could have done it better

I'm also reading The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter and it's fascinating. A real insight into how Russell thinks

Old 01-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Elite Fan

Oh, thank you for this. It does sound very interesting, so I am looking forward to check it out soon

I am also reading that book at the moment - it is such a brilliant book I just love how he talks about his ideas (especially because you can see how first drafts evolve into what we see on screen)

And I agree with you, I might not agree with everything Russell did in those 5 years but without him I might not even be a fan now.
|it's about time
Old 01-31-2010, 07:50 AM
Addicted Fan

There are some definite episodes where I think 'WTH Russell? ' But like you say, if he hadn't brought the show back, I might not be a fan now

I'm looking forward to seeing what else Russell does in the future and if he decides to work with Chris or David again, even better

Old 02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Elite Fan

Maybe he is working on that DW film? Somewhere in LA
|it's about time
Closed Thread   Post New Thread