Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2022, 08:23 PM
Sailor Scout Wannabe

Moderator of ...
The Witcher
Henry Cavill

i don't really know his work but looking forward to see what RTD has in store of the 14th!
Old 05-09-2022, 05:50 AM
Moderator Support Team

I'm excited

Old 05-09-2022, 10:23 AM
Obsessed Fan

Gosh, georgeous pic!
Old 05-09-2022, 12:42 PM
New Fan

Predictable and disappointing

First let me say, I beleive in equality and justice for all races, religions and sexs. That being said, when you change such properties of an ancient character, you are going to be held to a much higher standard. Imagine if they made a movie where Hariette Tubman was played by a Phillipinino transvestite... it better have some pretty incredible everything to pull that off and in some universe with the right people and conditions, it might be great. But 99.9999999% of the time, when such a decision is made before the first script is written, it's almost guaranteed to be terrible.

I totally liked the idea of a female doctor, and Jodie Whitecker seemed like the perfect choice, so I totally gave them the benefit of the doubt... that, at least, they would hold themselves to the same standards as the previous doctors and show runner and at best, would hold themselves to a much higher standard since they have something to prove... clearly they had something to prove... changing a grumpy old silly male timelord into a wimsickle sexy female lesbian. We are all equal, that doesn't mean there aren't differences and such differences fundamental to acting... Imagine if Richard Gear and Julie Robert's switched roles in Pretty Woman... it could be done, but man that would be very difficult to pull off, so these changes make the taks harder is my point. So you have a hard task, your held to a higher standard and you better bring something special to the table.

Unfortunately, after suffering through the horrendous writing of the Jodie years... it has proven just the opposite IMHO. They used it as a gimmick, not a vehicle to prove equally or expand the shows potential. Thus they did a horrendous diservice to the show... no, a complete sacreligous travesty, while doing the same diservice for the fight for equality. They fed the far right narrative that "wokeness" (not that I beleive in that engineered term) is coming to take something away from you and will screw up the world. Mind you I disagree, but they gave ammunition to it and since I found nothing redemable able the Jodie years, I am out of bullets to fight that rhetoric. Its hard to argue with these people when/if they bring up doctor who because i loved the show before and it was ruined and made common, while the fight for equality was used as a gimmick.

So here we are a again... so where we had an old crabby or silly white guy, we will now have a homosexual Rawandan black dude with blond hair. It could work... but I gave the benefit of the doubt to chimball already the last 3 years, I won't do it again... its another gimmick... no scripts written, just "hey, let's focus on race and sex and hope the stories can mold around that".

It's disappointing. Nothing good will come of it, at least I have to assume that at this point. I haven't even seen this guy's before, haven't even watched a show, first time I heard of him. I'm sorry, I am not a hateful person, but I have come to hate doctor who for what they have become... using civil rights as a gimmick while destroying a great show. It's official, I'm done with the show... maybe I will catch a rerun sometime in the next few years, but not watching religiously anymore.

All this being said... I sincerely hope to be proven wrong... but the bar is very high now, astronomically high and I don't have time to waste.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Elite Fan

There’s nothing gimmicky about this. RTD said he gave the best audition and everyone else agreed.

Last edited by scififan2009; 05-09-2022 at 03:17 PM
Old 05-09-2022, 02:20 PM
Extreme Fan

To be fair, RTD would say that. He isn't going to say "I cast him because he is black, and I have the mammoth task of getting fans to start watching the show again".

I do wonder, given the state of the show, whether this was the right time for another mould breaking choice. If this doesn't work, will they go back to a white male, or just put the show on ice for a few years?

Gunslingor is right in that all of the bar has been set high. Everything has to be 200%, or there will be a 3rd era of The Wilderness Years.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:09 PM
Moderator Support Team

Let's hope to be proven wrong as I have said before the actors who have been chosen as the doctor haven't been bad at their job it's the way the show has been run that has been an issue so bad scripts give them poor performance but they have acted it well

I have hope RTD can fix the writing issue to and make it all come together again
Old 05-09-2022, 09:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

The only concern I have is RTD writing another romance between a companion and the Doctor, don't want to have a story like with Martha or Rose again. That and please don't bring back the Slitheen.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:18 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldfrau (View Post)
The only concern I have is RTD writing another romance between a companion and the Doctor, don't want to have a story like with Martha or Rose again. That and please don't bring back the Slitheen.
Ohh yes no I agree with you on that
Old 05-10-2022, 09:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Slitheen technically isn’t a species, it’s a family name.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:07 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Oh no, not again. Hasn't there just been one? The Doctor and... the police officer. Can't there just be a platonic friendship, why must they force a romance?

Old 05-11-2022, 10:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Slitheen technically isn’t a species, it’s a family name.
To be clear, I don't want to see anything that remotely looks or farts like the Slitheen again. Enough of that nonsense.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:42 AM
Moderator Support Team

Well people didn't like the angels as well

I would like the silence back

Last edited by Summer Falls; 05-12-2022 at 01:32 AM
Old 05-12-2022, 01:36 AM
Elite Fan

Silence wasn’t a species either. They were a religious order.

And the creatures who worked for Madame Kovarian were actually genetically engineered priests.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:24 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
Silence wasn’t a species either. They were a religious order.

And the creatures who worked for Madame Kovarian were actually genetically engineered priests.
That's right
Closed Thread   Post New Thread