Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm not sure what I thought about the episode. I liked it but I didn't LOVE it. It feels like something is missing, and I'm not sure what. I mean DW is still some of the best TV around.

I need to sit and watch it again to make proper judgement on it.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:24 AM
Master Fan

Liam Cunningham!!! OMG Game of Thrones and Doctor Who collision again!

But then, I dunno why and I dunno if it’s just me, but somehow this show’s lost its magic. I was expecting a lot from this ep after that dismal failure of the last one - it’s Mark Gatiss after all But this fell by the sideways too. Are they just writing crappy stuff now because they’ve given everything to the 50th anniversary??

The premise was OK but the execution… that was left to be desired.

Also, bless Jenna, but she’s not cut out for comedy - she’s more fit to handle drama, all the dramatic stuff of the show she really nails but her comedic timing could use some work. Maybe that’s why I feel every ep since last year has been lackluster… whenever she tries to be funny, it comes off as her turning into a little girl, it’s awkward.

Ugh I hate this because I love the show and I hate it when I notice stuff like this.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Elite Fan

I can't get over the fact that technically The Doctor gave Clara a ring at the end of The rings of Akhaten and then in the beginning of the very next episode, they were heading off to Las Vegas. It just made me go, "They're eloping!" ha ha

How long does it take a 1980s Russian submarine to travel from the North Pole to the South Pole? I want to know how long The Doctor & Clara were there. It could've been anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:08 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywiccan (View Post)
I can't get over the fact that technically The Doctor gave Clara a ring at the end of The rings of Akhaten and then in the beginning of the very next episode, they were heading off to Las Vegas. It just made me go, "They're eloping!" ha ha

How long does it take a 1980s Russian submarine to travel from the North Pole to the South Pole? I want to know how long The Doctor & Clara were there. It could've been anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
Lol getting married wouldn’t be the first time for him

I don't know how long they were there i never know for any adventure how long they are there for?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:22 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Lol getting married wouldn’t be the first time for him

I don't know how long they were there i never know for any adventure how long they are there for?
Yes, but would he marry someone now he is married to Rver Song? See? See? I havent forgotten The Wedding of River Song with its promise of a wedding which was then let down as usual by a quick fix. Whata poor excuse for a wedding! River didnt even get to try on white wedding gowns!
CommanderM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
Yes, but would he marry someone now he is married to Rver Song? See? See? I havent forgotten The Wedding of River Song with its promise of a wedding which was then let down as usual by a quick fix. Whata poor excuse for a wedding! River didnt even get to try on white wedding gowns!
Ys that is true but would she have woren a white dress?
Old 01-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Elite Fan

River Song is technically dead (most vows are "til death do us part") so he could get married again. Otherwise wouldn't he not have been able to marry River since he had THREE wives before her? And The husbands of River Song had River revealing she married at least FOUR people while being married to The Doctor.

His wedding to River was not much different from his wedding to Queen Elizabeth 1.

In The Shakespeare code, The Doctor met Elizabeth when she was near the end of her life. In The day of the doctor, young Elizabeth pressures The Doctor into marriage. He seems to do it more out of let's get this over with to save the day. She is a redhead. Her mother--Anne Boleyn---married King Henry the 8th.

In Silence in the library, The Doctor met River the day she died. In The wedding of River Song, young River pressures The Doctor into marriage. He seems to do it more out of a let's get this over with to save the day. Her mother--Amelia Pond---married King Henry the 8th. Her mom is a redhead.

The Doctor's 4th wife (River) is his 3rd wife's (Elizabeth) stepsister. He of course cared much more for River than he did for Elizabeth but neither "marriage" was very realistic or changed anything in his relationship with the woman.

Last edited by wilywiccan; 01-24-2016 at 07:45 AM
wilywiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
River Song is technically dead (most vows are "til death do us part") so he could get married again. Otherwise wouldn't he not have been able to marry River since he had THREE wives before her? And The husbands of River Song had River revealing she married at least FOUR people while being married to The Doctor.

His wedding to River was not much different from his wedding to Queen Elizabeth 1.

In The Shakespeare code, The Doctor met Elizabeth when she was near the end of her life. In The day of the doctor, young Elizabeth pressures The Doctor into marriage. He seems to do it more out of let's get this over with to save the day. She is a redhead. Her mother--Anne Boleyn---married King Henry the 8th.

In Silence in the library, The Doctor met River the day she died. In The wedding of River Song, young River pressures The Doctor into marriage. He seems to do it more out of a let's get this over with to save the day. Her mother--Amelia Pond---married King Henry the 8th. Her mom is a redhead.

The Doctor's 4th wife (River) is his 3rd wife's (Elizabeth) stepsister. He of course cared much more for River than he did for Elizabeth but neither "marriage" was very realistic or changed anything in his relationship with the woman.
Love this history side lol but saying that he married these women than left them straight after
Old 01-25-2016, 06:41 PM
Elite Fan

He really did leave them both after (though he kept going back to River before parting again). Elizabeth held it against him while River just wrongly assumed he was incapable of truly romantically loving someone and that he'd get bored if he had one person continuously in his life. River pretended she only wanted to occasionally travel with The Doctor and that she was this free spirited person who don't need no man except when she was in the mood to have him around when that couldn't be farther from the truth and she later admits it several times. She says she lives for the times she can see him again and thinks he would never really be there for her because she loves him more than he does her.

It's one of the many reasons I prefer Whouffle. The Doctor loves Clara even more than she loves him. No interpretation at all. It's just fact.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:11 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
He really did leave them both after (though he kept going back to River before parting again). Elizabeth held it against him while River just wrongly assumed he was incapable of truly romantically loving someone and that he'd get bored if he had one person continuously in his life. River pretended she only wanted to occasionally travel with The Doctor and that she was this free spirited person who don't need no man except when she was in the mood to have him around when that couldn't be farther from the truth and she later admits it several times. She says she lives for the times she can see him again and thinks he would never really be there for her because she loves him more than he does her.

It's one of the many reasons I prefer Whouffle. The Doctor loves Clara even more than she loves him. No interpretation at all. It's just fact.
see with river everytime she sees him his a different version of himselve someimes he knows her sometimes he doesnt got to hurt rigth?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:27 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Ys that is true but would she have woren a white dress?
I think she would have, a nice traditional wedding gown done properly. The character deserved at least that.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Elite Fan

Yesterday I realized something about Cold War.

There was a war between the East and South. The submarine traveled from the North Pole to the South Pole.

In An unearthly child...

Susan: It's impossible unless you use D and E!
Ian: D and E? Whatever for? Do the problem that's set, Susan.
Susan: I can't, Mr. Chesterton! You can't simply work on three of the dimensions!
Ian: Three of them? Oh. Time being the fourth, I suppose. Then what do you need E for? What do you make the fifth dimension?
Susan: Space...

A = up
B = down
C = sideways
D = time
E = space

East and West (sideways). North and South (up & down). That leaves D & E (time & space) and what was missing in Cold War? The tardis, which travels through time and space.

I'm going to assume it was intentional because Cold War was textually referenced in Hell bent, the episode that put Clara basically where The Doctor was in An unearthly child; fleeing Gallifrey, immortal, flying a recently stolen tardis with a broken chameleon circuit alongside an immortal teenager.

Last edited by wilywiccan; 01-28-2016 at 10:51 PM
wilywiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:26 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Yesterday I realized something about Cold War.

There was a war between the East and South. The submarine traveled from the North Pole to the South Pole.

In An unearthly child...

Susan: It's impossible unless you use D and E!
Ian: D and E? Whatever for? Do the problem that's set, Susan.
Susan: I can't, Mr. Chesterton! You can't simply work on three of the dimensions!
Ian: Three of them? Oh. Time being the fourth, I suppose. Then what do you need E for? What do you make the fifth dimension?
Susan: Space...

A = up
B = down
C = sideways
D = time
E = space

East and West (sideways). North and South (up & down). That leaves D & E (time & space) and what was missing in Cold War? The tardis, which travels through time and space.

I'm going to assume it was intentional because Cold War was textually referenced in Hell bent, the episode that put Clara basically where The Doctor was in An unearthly child; fleeing Gallifrey, immortal, flying a recently stolen tardis with a broken chameleon circuit alongside an immortal teenager.
Ah. So you know of Susan....
Old 01-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderM (View Post)
I think she would have, a nice traditional wedding gown done properly. The character deserved at least that.
that she did
Old 01-29-2016, 07:15 PM
Elite Fan

I liked the awkwardness of the soldiers when the captain said to search them. The were hesitant since Clara was underdressed and soaking wet. There would be no way for searching her body--for weapons, devices--to not come off partially sexual. "Yes, I know. She's a woman. Now search her."

Do you think there was any significance in the offspring Skaldak mentioned being a daughter and not a son? Was it one of the early clues that Clara was going to become like The Doctor? Skaldak's daughter was at the beginning of her journey to becoming like her infamous warrior father.

some similarities between The Doctor & Skaldak
1) assumed their species was extinct
2) Ice Warrior v man who pretends not to be a soldier (when he totally is) and has been said to have "ice in his heart"
3) finds out his people are still alive
4) could have blown up a planet but chose not to
5) is one of the most legendary person of his species
6) are aliens
7) are more technologically advanced than humans
8) mentions a daughter v mentions a granddaughter the previous ep
9) sang the songs with daughter v sang the songs with granddaughter (took Susan to Akhaten where everybody sings)

Songs have been very important in The Doctor's relationship with Clara. In this episode the professor sings and asks about bands. Clara sings a verse. And Skaldak talks about singing.
Reply   Post New Thread