Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Master Fan

Doctor Who references in pop culture

I don't think we have a thread like this, so I thought I'd start one.

Since the show has been around for almost 50 years and has been such a cultural icon of the UK, it's been referenced often in media - other TV shows, books, music, etc.

For example, I'm a big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and in Season 6, the nominal Big Bads of the season are a trio of geeky guys. When Spike, an English vampire, invades their lair, the three try to engage Spike in small talk:

Quote:
Andrew: You're English, right?
Spike: Yeah...
Andrew: I've seen every episode of Doctor Who. Not Red Dwarf, though, cause, um...
Jonathan: Cause it's not out yet on DVD.
Andrew: Right, it's not out yet on DVD.
Spike: *stares at the two, annoyed, and shouts at the third* Warren!
Share your Doctor Who references here!
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

Good thread. One that immidiately springs to me is The Simpsons:
Doctor Who - Simpsons Wiki
Old 08-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Master Fan

Doctor Who is mentioned on The Big Bang Theory from time to time, though not nearly as often as Star Trek, Star Wars etc.

In the episode The Justice League Recombination, the gang go to a New Year's costume party at the comic store, and the owner Stuart is dressed as the Fourth Doctor:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLa...00/bigbang.png
Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonaild (View Post)
Doctor Who is mentioned on The Big Bang Theory from time to time, though not nearly as often as Star Trek, Star Wars etc.

In the episode The Justice League Recombination, the gang go to a New Year's costume party at the comic store, and the owner Stuart is dressed as the Fourth Doctor:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KTJWhtuRLa...00/bigbang.png
they mention it quite a bit on TBBT, I watch it a lot. Sheldon watches Doctor Who every saturday on BBC America & last season they showed an episode where Sheldon, Amy, Leonard & Penny were watching Forest of the Dead (I recognized the music)... Sheldon also mentioned in that episode that they were all going to this year's WHOCon, but then uninvited Penny.

And of course, there is also Inspector Space-Time from Community
Sursonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sursonica (View Post)
they mention it quite a bit on TBBT, I watch it a lot. Sheldon watches Doctor Who every saturday on BBC America & last season they showed an episode where Sheldon, Amy, Leonard & Penny were watching Forest of the Dead (I recognized the music)... Sheldon also mentioned in that episode that they were all going to this year's WHOCon, but then uninvited Penny.
I also watch TBBT a lot. I didn't for a long time, but so many people recommended it to me eventually I relented (something about the show seemed to remind people of me, I can't imagine why ).

It feels to me like TBBT writers know about Doctor Who, but aren't really that familiar with it. They mention the show from time to time, but only reference it in a fairly generic way. Stuart's costume in the ep I mentioned is one of the more specific DW references on the show. Whereas with comics or ST or SW, they often make very specific, detailed references, sometimes quote them, and even bring on the actors (eg. Wil Wheaton, George Takei, Leonard Nimoy, Summer Glau, etc.)

Oh, and since I'm nitpicking - for the Buffy quote I wrote above, what Andrew and Jonathan said is actually wrong. For one, there's no way they could have seen every episode of Doctor Who because some eps are lost. And secondly, neither DW nor RD was available on DVD at the time that the Buffy ep aired, but every Red Dwarf episode at the time was available on NTSC video, unlike DW which would have been almost impossible to find on video in North America. I'm not sure if the writers got it wrong by accident, or if they did it intentionally as a subtle joke meant to annoy people like me who are a bit too much like Andrew and Jonathan
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM
New Fan

The Fourth Doctor & the TARDIS appear in the Futurama episode All the Presidents' Heads.

From Wikipedia:

The TARDIS and the Fourth Doctor make a brief appearance during the alternate-future sequence. He was also seen seven episodes earlier in "Mobius Dick". For two seasons, this version of the Doctor traveled with a companion named Leela.

Amongst the heads in the ' 'All of Nobility' are jars labeled as Amelia Pond from Doctor Who and Owen Harper from Torchwood.
FaceTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Elite Fan

There are a few references on Criminal Minds apparantly
Old 08-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Master Fan

I watch The Colbert Report regularly, and although Stephen doesn't often mention Doctor Who directly (he did once recently, but it's not something most of his American audience really appreciates), the show occassionally uses the TARDIS materialization sound effect to indicate time travel. For example, in the Time Travelling Brandy Thief bit from Apr. 5, 2010, they used the effect when the Thief disappeared.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm sure if we look really hard we can find DW referaces almost everywhere. Ture we may have to make most of them up but to us they are stil there.
Bowtiesarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

So far we've been listing references in references in American media where Doctor Who is more obscure, but there are lots more in UK media.

For example, there's a very explicit reference in the Ricky Gervais series Extras. The series was about a guy who started out as an TV/movie extra, and later became a minor celebrity in a soul-crushing sitcom. He kept trying to find other parts, and eventually ended up as a guest villain on Doctor Who in the series finale Christmas special. This was during the Tenth Doctor era, and they got Tennant on the show to play the Doctor:

Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 AM
Dedicated Fan

Supernatural used amy pond as one of their characters and even sam understands that it was from dr who Doctor who reference in Supernatural? - YouTube
Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Master Fan

Here's another Buffy one I'd forgotten about - since the Buffy TV series finished, they've continued the story in comics. In the second part of the Season 8 comic series, there's a page for a scene in England, and it starts with a panel that's a picture of two people that look like the 10th Doctor and Rose walking in front of a telephone box (not, however, the TARDIS):

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...regg6-12-1.jpg
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Master Fan

Sirens is a canceled show, but I watched it for Richard Madden and one of the characters (Rashid) refers to the ambulance as a TARDIS Even sings (ooooohhhhhhheeeeeeeeooooooooooh) the theme song
Old 09-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubreykarew (View Post)
Supernatural used amy pond as one of their characters and even sam understands that it was from dr who Doctor who reference in Supernatural? - YouTube
I remember that one lol funny
Old 09-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Master Fan

Last week I read the three Mervyn Stone Mysteries by Nev Fountain. It's a murder-mystery series involving the creator/script editor of a (fake) cult BBC sci-fi series in the 80s.

Mervyn Stone - Released Items - Ranges - Big Finish

Each book is set in a different sci-fi series setting - a fan convention, a DVD commentary, and a 2000-something revival of the series.

There are aspects of this made-up sci-fi series that are very similar to Doctor Who, and DW is referenced extensively in the books. It's particularly important in the 3rd book where they revive the series, and justify it by the success of the Doctor Who revival. They reference RTD and Moffat, and Nick Briggs even makes an appearance to play the voice of the bad guy robots.

I liked the series, it was fun and clever. I hope Nev writes another, although he'd have to find a new setting that made sense for a ex-script editor that wasn't too similar to the first 3 books.
Reply   Post New Thread