Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Master Fan

There were other things about that opening scene that bugged me too - I mean, why did they have that cloning unit in a run down corridor in the first place? Back at their base I could understand, but a delicate, complicated bit of machinery in a cave like that? Overall I was disappointed in the setup for this ep, it was rather clumsy. At least the ep got better as it went on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintedxlie (View Post)
I've heard a few theories being thrown around - one being that she wasn't regenerating, but it was just the terraforming gas that she had previously inhaled that brought her back to life. It did look like the same stuff as what was coming out of her mouth at the end of the episode, but then again, it looked a lot like the energy that was coming out of the Doctor's mouth in the Christmas Invasion, too. Which is the second theory I've heard, that she was technically still within the first 15 hours of her 'regeneration cycle' (after being created) and could therefor bring herself back to life, much like how the Doctor grew back his hand.
Interesting. I might buy that if she didn't actually seem to be dead for a while, then came back to life. Maybe if she'd just gotten better shortly after being shot that would be more plausible.

Oh, and I forgot about the mouse! That was one of my favourite parts of the ep, that is so old-school Doctor to just have a random thing in his pocket that he can use to distract the bad guys.
Raonaild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Dedicated Fan

I haven't got a chance to see the episode any time soon, so I'm just wondering - was there any reference to the original series? I remember the first sidekick the Doctor (William Hartnell era) was shown to have was Susan, who always used to call him Grandfather.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Elite Fan

Not my kind of episode. Somehow it was boring and predictable.

I hope Jenny will not come back, she was ok for one ep. But she is way too Mary Sue for me to see her often.

Liked The Hath. They were nice.

And I loved the toy mouse.

As always Donna and The Doctor are great.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablenathan (View Post)
I haven't got a chance to see the episode any time soon, so I'm just wondering - was there any reference to the original series? I remember the first sidekick the Doctor (William Hartnell era) was shown to have was Susan, who always used to call him Grandfather.
The Doctor mentioned again in this ep (like he did in Fear Her) that he'd been a father once, which presumably is required for him later to be a grandfather, but didn't get into any specifics.

Even in the classic series, the Doctor never mentioned having any children, and only rarely mentioned Susan after she left the series.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Dedicated Fan

I though the episode was solid, nothing spectacular, but certainly no Dalek in Manhatten either. The Doctor/Jenny relationship was great, and as much as I didnt like her in the beginning, I loved Jenny and Georgia by the end(she can actually act!)! Overall an interesting episode, I liked how the "monsters" in the episode were not bad. While I think Donna is awesome and I understand how her character works things out by talking them through, however the constant references to the numbers bored me a bit after the second time I was yelling "We get it! They're significant!"
and as usual, David was brilliant!
"He needs you, That's very me"
Icon Credit: The Daily Mail
TearlessPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearlessPhoenix (View Post)
I though the episode was solid, nothing spectacular, but certainly no Dalek in Manhatten either.
You can say that again. Daleks in Manhatten was a blip in an otherwise solid season last year, and I feel like this year they've maintained about the same level of quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearlessPhoenix (View Post)
While I think Donna is awesome and I understand how her character works things out by talking them through, however the constant references to the numbers bored me a bit after the second time I was yelling "We get it! They're significant!"
I know what you mean, I thought that was a bit much too. I think the writers are trying a bit too hard to make her seem useful - like in The Sontaran Strategem where she figured out that something was off with the staff at Atmos because they never took any sick days. This numbers thing would normally be the sort of thing the Doctor would pick up easily, but they gave it to Donna in this ep so she'd have something to do.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Finally got around to watching this episode:

"I'm not impossible, just a bit unlikely," - great Doctor quote and I think it suits him really well.

I liked that Donna recognizes how cool Martha is. I liked that she said that Martha was not "collateral damage". So one more thing about Donna I don't dislike.

"I'm doctor Martha Jones, who the hell are you?" - *fist pump* She is feisty, and I totally love her.

I loved Jenni. I can see what people are saying when they relate her to a Mary Sue but I think that if she was able to got past ehr solider training and evolve that she could get heaped down in more stuff to come. Personally I'd love to see her again.

Poor Martha's Hath.

"You talk all the time but you don't say anything,"...okay another point for Donna.
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Total Fan

I thought Donna was quite excellent in the episode.
icon
AAVaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She didn't annoy me here, I will give her that.
Wayward Melody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Obsessed Fan

I liked this episode. I thought it was different then the rest of the season. I liked Jenny (Jenni however you spell it). I thought she was a different dynamic to the team. I'd like to see what they do with her, unless I've missed something somewhere.

I loved Martha in this episode she was brilliant, and *tear* for her poor Hath. I thought it was brilliant that she could understand them and they trusted her.

I liked Donna in this episode as well. She was what the doctor needed to realize that Jenny really did belong with them.

NIcole