Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-30-2003, 07:29 PM
Master Fan

Drama and angst is good!

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 11-30-2003, 09:36 PM
Dedicated Fan

Newsflash!! Ok well not really but here i am doing my bit to keep the Lauren lovin going. And also, upon entreing this thread, reminding myself to watch ET this arve [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Fan

Hey Lisa, great to have you back! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

junkie | LG fanlisting | My babies | Life's a Bitch

The Seeress of the High Desert
Old 12-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Addicted Fan

Lauren does contradict herself, but that's OK, because you all are right, it depends on where the L/L path is going.
Ever since the beginning, ASP has said that L/L will not get together, unless it's at the end of the series. Lauren, I think, is also aware of this necessity, in order to avoid a Ross/Rachel cyclic scenario.
However, in the Season 4 promo, it was funny how Lauren said, "It's so dysfunctional! Why don't they just make out?" I thought this was funny, in that she was voicing her personal opinion, but I think that she also knows a L/L pairing, in order to appease many an audience's impatient wishes, would not be good unless it served a greater purpose, came in its own time, and was written *exquisitely* without sloppiness. The last thing we need is a sloppy end to all this building up. Look what happened to Rory and Jess. Now that was a sloppy demoralization and change of character for Jess, which was rather disheartening for me to watch.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Master Fan

I don't know where to put this so I'll just put it here and someone else can repost it if there's a more appropriate thread. Lauren's Family Guy episode reairs on the Cartoon Network on December 9 (11:30pm eastern) and 10 (2:30am eastern).

Old 12-02-2003, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Fan

I can see where she would contradict herself at times. It kind of goes where the writers are taking the L/L relationship. During season 3 they didn't seem like they would be together or that it would be a good idea. Season 4 is a totally different story where possiblity does seem like it can work for the good of the show.

Old 12-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Master Fan

It could also be for ratings too, with that promo thing then she talked about them making out...Lauren might have said that just to get the ratings...and I still can't believe we had the dream part of Season 3 with them not giving us anything to work with. But Lauren doesn't seem the type of person to say something just for ratings...but you never know.

-*- Journal || LG Media Alerts -*-
Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Master Fan

Yet another interview by phone to newspapers promoting Bad Santa. I bet she was on the phone all day for a while there doing those. This one is GOOD!

Quote:
Posted on Sun, Nov. 30, 2003

'Gilmore Girl' Graham lands good role in 'Bad Santa'
BY CHRIS HEWITT
Pioneer Press

Auditions are never a picnic, but imagine this scenario: You've been asked to pretend you're having sex with a stranger, and not only that, he's in a Santa suit, and not only that, you are supposed to be very noisy, and not only that, you're in the back of a car, and not only that, the car and the guy and the Santa suit aren't there. It's just you, a casting director and the seriously twisted script for "Bad Santa."

Lauren Graham, the 36-year-old star of "The Gilmore Girls," found herself in exactly that position when she auditioned for "Santa," which is now in theaters.

"That is what's horrifying about the audition element of acting. There wasn't even a lap to bounce up and down on," jokes Graham who, nevertheless, got the job, playing a bartender who may be the only woman in the world who would find something tender and sweet in the character played by Billy Bob Thornton, a department store Santa/robber/lush/jerk/hygiene-ophobe.

Because of the sexual freedom involved in the role, it was not an easy one to play. When I mention to Graham that an actress (OK, Meg Ryan) once told me that any time she agrees to play a part, she has 20 minutes of elation and then the elation always shifts to fear that she won't be able to pull it off, Graham can relate.

"But," she says, "Meg Ryan is dealing with a whole different situation than me. She has her pick of great parts. I'm still in the 'What? I get to have another job? I thought that last job I had was the last job I'll ever have. I thought I was lucky my part was big enough that you could hear what I was saying over the music' stage."

Still, Graham seems to spark to the idea of advice from famous actresses and turns it into Famous Actress Poker: "I'll see you Meg Ryan and raise you Meryl Streep. She said in an interview one time that if she had a script where there was some detail that she thought was wrong, that detail always ended up being a key to the character for her. The thing she is most resistant to ends up being the most helpful piece of information. So maybe that explains that scared feeling."

OWING A LETTER

Wait a minute, though. Graham has acted with Streep (in the film "One True Thing"), so surely she had a chance to ask Streep herself about that comment?

"Uh, no. I have this joke with my friends about Meryl Streep, actually" says Graham. "I am very easily intimidated and, of course, I was intimidated by Meryl Streep, so I spent the whole movie not even being able to speak with her. Then, afterwards, I'd say to my friends, 'I'm going to write a letter to tell her how much her work means to me,' which I still haven't done. So, now, whenever I say to a friend, 'When are you going to return that book?' or whatever, they say, 'I'll return it when you write your letter to Meryl Streep.' "

Who has time to write letters to Oscar-winning superstars, anyway? Graham films "Gilmore Girls" 10 months of the year and is always on the lookout for a movie that, like "Bad Santa" or next year's "Seeing Other People," will be shooting when she's "on vacation" in June and July.

Discussing these career issues by phone, Graham's sense of humor zooms through the fiber-optic lines, making it clear she's almost as glib as the woman she plays on TV. And although Graham jokes that people who meet her are disappointed she's not as quick as her scripts, the truth is that Graham, who has a master's degree in acting from Southern Methodist University, is not deficient in brains or wit.

Which is a good thing, since she says the breathless pace of "Gilmore" engages all her energies. "You could rehearse it like a play, working with it and making it better and better, but we just have to go ahead and do the best we can because there's no time," she says. "You're always playing catch-up. I mean, we shot three pages a day on 'Bad Santa,' but we shoot 12 pages a day on 'Gilmore Girls,' and I'm talking nonstop in all of them."

WINS AND LOSSES

That means Graham has to count on the writers to help make her character, Lorelai Gilmore, real. It's suggested to Graham that, in the series' fourth season, she must be the acknowledged expert on what makes Lorelai tick, but she says that's not the case.

"It's not my decision, usually," she says. "Sometimes, I have been able to say, 'This doesn't make sense for Lorelai to say,' usually on Rory-related stuff, because I have very particular ideas about what this mother would and wouldn't say to her daughter, but I don't necessarily win."

One time she lost was last season, when Lorelai's daughter, Rory, and Rory's friend, Paris, were discussing losing their virginity. In the conversation, which Lorelai overheard, Rory told Paris that she hadn't had sex yet. "So, when Lorelai hears that, she says, 'I've got the good kid.'

"And I didn't like that judgment about girls and the decisions they make. But they wanted me to say that, so I did, and the episode aired, and lots of people have come up to me and said, 'I loved it when you said that.' So, who knows? Obviously, that line reflected the way some people felt."

Another element of "Gilmore Girls" she has some trouble with? "I don't like the way Lorelai and Rory are constantly eating, because neither of us eats like that, and it sends a weird message," Graham says.

Oh, and the show cost her a pet. "I had a cat when I started this job, but he ran away because he couldn't take the hours and the stress. Or maybe a coyote ate him."

Mostly, though, she's content on the show, and that's why she looks for movie parts that won't try to duplicate the good work she does there.

"To me, 'The Gilmore Girls' is a really good version of that kind of character. I would never want to do a movie character who was a lesser version of Hip Mom or Sassy Whatever," says Graham.

In other words, you'll see her playing a sassy single mom about the time you hear she's finally written that letter to Meryl Streep.
Wow, auditioning sounds fun, huh. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] OOh, see, I hated the "I got the good kid line", and a lot of people did. I wish I could tell her, lol. Love the Meryl Streep part.

[ 12-02-2003: Message edited A. B. Normal ]
Old 12-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Fan

wow, that's one of the best interviews I've read!

I can't imagine pretending to have sex with just you doing it in front of a casting director! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] That takes some patience, nerve and guts!

She's right, I didn't care about that "I've got the good kid" line either. It made Paris look bad for her choice to have sex.. which isn't necessarily true. A mistake or not, having sex doesn't mean you're bad.

I like how she refuses to be type casted by playing a part in a movie that is so close to the part she plays on tv. So many actors have done that and it's boring to watch their movies.

Ok, I gotta finish my paper.. it's due tomorrow! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] More later...

Old 12-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Addicted Fan

Alexis, thank you so much for that article! What a great article. I hear those promo junkets and press obligations are ridiculous, and Lauren isn't even carrying the film. I completely agree with you and Lauren about the "I've got the good kid" line. True, Rory is good, and she was wise not to sleep with Jess, but that is such a blanket statement and could alienate many girls who have either made mistakes or who have no qualms about sex. However, I do think that Lorelai's crucial influence in Rory's life has led Rory to be more stable than, say, Paris. Paris has issues going on, and sleeping with Jamie could or could not have been related to that. If she doesn't regret it, nothing you can do. If Paris, however, felt insecure and needed a guy to redeem her feeling of worth, and because of that, slept with him, that would be a different story. From the scenario they depicted, I did not get that feeling from her at all.

Haha about the Meryl Streep joke. It is so easy to see that Lauren gets intimidated, based on her nervouness during talk shows and also the way she talks about other celebrities, such as Steven Spielberg, George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, etc.

Quote:
"I don't like the way Lorelai and Rory are constantly eating, because neither of us eats like that, and it sends a weird message," Graham says.
Amen, sista friend! I find it hilarious! I feel like Alexis is always eating through a scene, and they both do a great job of eating, but geez, for real! I'll bet Alexis and Lauren don't even need to eat during the work week since they are having to eat so much, take after take, on the show. Because, ahem, they both have ridiculously thin figures consuming what they do in those gross amounts. It's such a Gilmore trait now, I don't know how they can just stop. It'd be like Kirk becoming "normal" suddenly.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:38 PM
Master Fan

See, I consider it common sense on the part of the home viewer to know that they're just actresses who have personal trainers, and don't eat like the characters they play. It's one of my favorite things that Lorelai and Rory can eat so much, never exercise and never gain a pound. I know people like that...I hate them...but they do exist. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I don't know, it's just such a part of the characters since the beginning, I hope it never changes. I've noticed they eat a LOT more salad on the show now though. Whatever happened to lettuce essence satisfying their vegetable requirement for the week?
Old 12-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by A. B. Normal:
<STRONG>I've noticed they eat a LOT more salad on the show now though. Whatever happened to lettuce essence satisfying their vegetable requirement for the week?</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] True true! Doesn't every Friday night dinner include salad? Lorelai eats the salad, and then makes not only the "lettuce essence" comment, but also the new peach $20 bills satisfying both her fruits and veggies requirements. I also love this over-eating, but the message (to those who are not that astute) may be confusing. In many of these scenes, though, I have noticed that Lorelai doesn't eat nearly as much as Alexis, unless Alexis is constantly faking all that chewing movement. That girl is seriously eating all the freakin' time. Maybe Lauren put her foot down. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ilovetheshins:
<STRONG>unless Alexis is constantly faking all that chewing movement.</STRONG>
She is!! We should make a drinking game out of how many times an episode Alexis clenches her jaw and moves it around pretending to chew when there's clearly nothing in her mouth whatsoever. LOL. Cracks me up.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Ultimate Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] they do seem to eat a lot! And Lorelai has eaten salad that one night in Forgiveness and Stuff! heee

I think I'll do one of those searches that Alexis has started a thread on. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by A. B. Normal:
<STRONG>

She is!! We should make a drinking game out of how many times an episode Alexis clenches her jaw and moves it around pretending to chew when there's clearly nothing in her mouth whatsoever. LOL. Cracks me up.</STRONG>
I can't be sure if it is fake, though. She is dedicated to her pseudo-eating craft, that's for sure. Haha, drinking game. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] "And booze! For those of us over twenty-one." We would be one happy drunken family over here, that's for sure. (But being the responsible promoter that I am, I wouldn't want little under-age Gilmore fans playing along, because they surely would pass out, in this particular game. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] ) You know what else I have noticed? Alexis tends to move her mouth all the time, period. When making facial expressions of pain, cute confused looks, there's almost always going on with her mouth. Maybe that's just her own little mannerism.