Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2005, 06:23 AM
Elite Fan

Hurricane Katrina & Rita - Please Check In

Hello fellow Roswellians,

As many of you know, the southern part of the United States have been suffering due to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Watching the news more and more it saddens me that cities such as New Orleans are faced with this horrific tragedy. Seeing thousands of homes and towns destroyed within moments, some who even lost loved ones. Everyone who has been touched by this tragedy is in our prayers.

Feel free to post your messages here for those who are suffering from the aftermath of this terrible hurricane. If you know someone who was in the hurricane and they are safe, please also post it here.

Your friendly mods,

Dreamer 4 Ever and Roswell_Rawker
[Edward & Bella] [Rob & Kristen] [Tyler & Ally] [Max & Liz] [Nathan & Haley] [Sawyer & Kate]
Dreamer 4 Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Master Fan

Hey all,

I hope everyone is well from the storm, I live in Florida and got hit with her first but not as terrible as many others... Please give a shout to tell us your OK
Old 08-31-2005, 11:30 AM
Loyal Fan

roslover39 suggested Roswell fans should start giving to the relief efforts.

You can go here to see how YOU can help!

Because the story isn't over... RoswellMovie.net
RoswellMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Fan

On the OTO thread it was reported that SadButTrue evacuated before the storm hit. She lived in New Orleans.

I'm especially anxious to hear about:

Thicket: Bay St. Louis, New Orleans, and/or Covington, LA

behrfanny: Covington, LA and/or Mccomb, MS

Rox_Mc: MS

The Weather Channel has a blog and message board where you can find info on places and perhaps people.

Later,
There are no accidents! Everything happens for a reason.
jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Fan

behrfanny & Rox are OK!

You can read the reports on page 2 of the OTO thread... There's also word from SadButTrue...

Later,
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Master Fan

glad to hear that people are turning up..
Old 09-01-2005, 01:11 PM
New Fan

There is a website up where you can post a listing if you have a room, bed or couch to spare for someone dislocated by the hurricane. Those who are in need can search the listings to see if they can get to any of the locations. They're most in need of housing within a 300 mile radius of the affected area. Go to www.hurricanehousing.org for more information, and forward the site address to those you know in the area who may be able to help.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Elite Fan

I also live in South Florida and although I was without power for a couple of days, it is nothing compared to what people in Louisiana and Mississippi are going through. I pray that they will make it through.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Passionate Fan

Hello Roswellians

Photo by Chris Graythen

I know a lot of us here are animal lovers. Just wanted to remind everyone not to forget those poor animals affected by the disaster. Many pets were rescued or were put in shelters by their owners before they evacuated from New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. Those pets are now being moved to shelters in Texas and in other states. The SPCA and other animal welfare organizations need your help. Here's a link the the Houston, Texas SPCA where you can make a donation. Or donate to any of the SPCA organizations in Texas, Louisiana or Mississipi. I'm sure they could all use your help.

God Bless.
OBSESSED JB FAN #89

"The excitement is in not knowing what is next." ~ Jason Behr
Kinsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Passionate Fan

Just heard from Thicket!!!!!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Fan

~ jero is doing the HAPPY DANCE!

Later,
Old 09-04-2005, 02:49 PM
Passionate Fan

Jero: I was so very happy to open my inbox and see the email from Thicket!!!

She and her family evacuated to the Lake Charles area in Louisiana... but were experiencing communications difficulties. Her family are all okay... but her sister's house is under water near the 17th Street Canal levee breach. Her parent's home in New Orleans has most likely a lot of water damage. And the house in Bay St Louis is gone.

I posted Thicket's email on the PODs thread.

Am very very happy to hear from her.... and at the same time am also feeling for her and her family during this difficult time.

Maggie
Old 09-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Loyal Fan

So great to read that Thicket and her family are okay! I've been really worried!!!
not of this earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm glad to hear Thicket is okay.The whole tragedy has me glued to my TV set,and city newspaper,constantly updated on each new step in helping the refugees.I would feel so helpless before,seeing these people go through so much,loosing everything,but one thing I realized,the best way we can help them,is through the Red Cross.Last Friday at my job,we collected all the tips made that day,plus donations given,and the $100 my manager put out of his own pocket,and we raised almost $400,all towards the Red Cross.If you want to help,that is the best way.And I know us Roswellians know how to band together and fight a good cause.

Dreamer Candygirl Stargazer Polarist
Roswell_Rawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:59 AM
Loyal Fan

Here are a few quotes I found online when I was looking for information about the Red Cross, and some alternatives since they seem to be very bad at actually getting money and help to the people who need it.

Quote:
Re: Katrina victims, I'm a little worried right now about all the foundations involved. So I'm telling my friends they can try what I've done. I went on the internet and looked up both schools of social work in communities to which refugees are being evacuated and churches. I then sent an email to a faculty member (with expertise in homeless services or disaster management or PTSD) and to the pastor of the church I selected and asked them what they needed. Within 10 minutes, I had replies from these folks because they had been inundated with people from New Orleans. So I went out and got what they asked for and mailed it to them in a huge care package. It ran about $50/location -- their needs are so modest. And, a lot of the stuff, I had around the house. This way, there's a better chance your donation will make it directly to the people in need. The Red Cross already has $200 million. I want to see where it goes before I recommend them or any of the other high profile charities. I remember 9/11 too well.
I found this posted on another board along with many posts on various boards about the incompetence of the Red Cross, including:

Quote:
"And what do they do with the money? For the most part, they keep it for themselves! Recall how the families of the victims of 911 had to badger, harass, and threaten the Red Cross in an attempt to get some 11 million dollars that they would not release to the families-even a year later? And that's what we were told in the media, but how much money did the Red Cross really rake in from 9-11?"

"The CEO of the Red Cross and other corporate celebrities receive obscene salaries and other big buck perks, while other charities operate on much leaner budgets for use by the charity itself. "

"...One charity has stayed above all this for 137 years. The Salvation Army is unique among all U.S. charities for many reasons. Let’s start at the top. Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary just $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 Billion dollar organization. By comparison, Brian Gallagher, President of the United Way receives a $375,000 base salary (plus numerous expensive benefits) and the Red Cross President Marsha Evans receives $450,000 plus benefits...
Another option ...the NAACP working with Move on and that they'd already secured 17,000 houses/homes within 250 miles of the disaster region, families with whom evacuees can stay.

Also, you may find this of interest: http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/09-02-05.htm

I'm no expert, but some charities are much better than others in making sure that the money actually gets to those who need it, while some are atrocious. It helps to do some research to find out how your hard-earned money will likely be used or mis-used.

If you do a search, I'm sure you can find independent sites that rate and report on the performance of charitable organizations.

Just a suggestion.
not of this earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread