Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 12:58 AM
Absolute Fan

Oh, I love this series. I read it for the first time in middle school, and Adams shot straight to the top of my list of favorite authors. I've been unsuccessful in finding the Radio Transcripts (in addition to everything non-Hitchhiker's and non-Dirk Gently) since then. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish is my favorite book, I think. That and the original.

My favorite quote?

"Anything that happens, happens.

Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.

It doesn't always happen in chronological order, though."

LOVE to confuse people with that.

Yay! On a Hitchhiker's movie. Though the material isn't anywhere near LOTR, it MUST be treated in the same way Peter Jackson treated LOTR. Only, hopefully, following the original works more closely. Anyone know who's directing?

I wish I lived in the UK to hear the radio program. Loved Simon Jones in the television series. Which, for anyone who's interested, is available on video, and I think it came out on DVD last year, too. I have the video, and the quality's kind of bad. Plus it ends in the middle of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. But Jones was dead-on as Arthur. I hope he's in the movie. I remember reading that Adams had wanted him to play the part when he was negotiating with Disney to make the film before his death.

Um, The Salmon of Doubt was published in 2002.

[ 12-24-2003: Message edited NaiveYetChubby ]

"What is love if cops don't come? I'm sorry, if you've never broken into my house or threatened my pets, you don't love me." --Storm Large
Old 12-24-2003, 01:22 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by NaiveYetChubby:
<STRONG>Oh, I love this series. I read it for the first time in middle school, and Adams shot straight to the top of my list of favorite authors. I've been unsuccessful in finding the Radio Transcripts (in addition to everything non-Hitchhiker's and non-Dirk Gently) since then. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
I have those transcripts ... I think the original radio version in those transcripts is my favourite HHGTTG incarnation, and I've seen/heard/read pretty much all of them.
Quote:
<STRONG>So Long And Thanks For All The Fish is my favorite book, I think. That and the original.</STRONG>
I think this one was my least favourite ... very little Ford (2nd favourite character) and no Zaphod (1st favourite). And poor old Marvin *wipes little tear away*

I love DNA's writing style though, the books are worth reading for that alone.
Quote:
<STRONG>Yay! On a Hitchhiker's movie. Though the material isn't anywhere near LOTR, it MUST be treated in the same way Peter Jackson treated LOTR. Only, hopefully, following the original works more closely. Anyone know who's directing?</STRONG>
I dunno ... how do you follow the "original works" closely when every version was so different? I actually expected the movie to be almost completely unlike any other version of the story, it would be very appropriate. I'm a little concerned that it'll loose most of it's British-ness though, in an attempt to appeal to an American audience, especially now that DNA isn't around to oversee it.
Quote:
<STRONG>I wish I lived in the UK to hear the radio program. Loved Simon Jones in the television series. Which, for anyone who's interested, is available on video, and I think it came out on DVD last year, too. I have the video, and the quality's kind of bad. Plus it ends in the middle of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. But Jones was dead-on as Arthur. I hope he's in the movie. I remember reading that Adams had wanted him to play the part when he was negotiating with Disney to make the film before his death.</STRONG>
Yeah, I had the show on tape for years, and bought the DVD last year. Pretty typical cheesy low-budget BBC production for the time, kind of hard to watch today with the level of effects we're accustomed to. My favourite bits of the show were the Guide entries ... lots of little extra details in the text and graphics if you're paying attention.

I'm sure the radio program will end up on CD or some such, like the rest of the series. Local radio stations that still play radio plays may carry them as well.

[ 12-24-2003: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 01-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Hitchhiker Stars Set

British actors Bill Nighy (Love Actually) and Martin Freeman (TV's The Office) are set to star in the feature-film version of Douglas Adams' SF cult novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the BBCi Films Web site reported. Nighy told the site that he's been cast as alien planet designer Slartibartfast in the long-gestating adaptation. Freeman will play Arthur Dent, the everyday Earthling thrust into an interplanetary adventure, the site added. (Fangoria, meanwhile, reported that Warwick Davis will also appear.)

"I'm a big fan of the book, and the people who are making it are very cool people, and I think they're going to do a good job," Nighy told the site. "It's a really good script. It's really, really faithful [to the book]. All the jokes are there, and they're big fat jokes. It's wonderful. And with all the technology we have now, it can not only be a big satisfying comedy, but I figure it could be quite exciting as well."
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m.../12/11.00.film

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 01-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Master Fan

Another movie update!
Quote:
Mos Def, Deschanel Hitch Ride to 'Galaxy'

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Hip-hop artist/actor Mos Def, Zooey Deschanel and Martin Freeman are thumbing a ride with "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," a big-screen adaptation of the cult hit novel by Douglas Adams.

Mos Def will play Ford Prefect, an alien disguising himself as an out-of-work actor who sets out on an intergalactic journey with his best friend, mild-mannered earthling Arthur Dent (Freeman). The duo hitch a ride through space with the two-headed president of the galaxy, the beautiful and brilliant scientist Trillion (Deschanel) and a depressed robot while on a quest to discover the meaning of life.

The Disney/Spyglass project begins shooting in April in London under director Garth Jennings. Adams, who died in 2001, adapted his novel for the screen. After his death, Karey Kirkpatrick came aboard for a rewrite. The cult hit "Hitchhiker's Guide" began as a radio series and launched a book series, television series and video game.

After starting his career as a hip-hop artist, Mos Def is on a roll in Hollywood. He appears in the Kevin Bacon drama "The Woodsman," which was a Sundance Film Festival hit and was acquired last week by Newmarket Films. Mos Def also has appeared in "The Italian Job," "Brown Sugar" and "Monster's Ball" and recently wrapped HBO Films' upcoming "Something the Lord Made," with Alan Rickman. He is set to release a new album on Geffen Records this year.

Deschanel also made the rounds at Sundance with Lions Gate Films' "Eulogy," and hosted the closing-night awards ceremony. Her credits include "Elf," "The Good Girl," "All the Real Girls," "Manic" and "Almost Famous."

Freeman's credits include "Love Actually," "The Debt," "Hardware" and "Ali G Indahouse."
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...film_galaxy_dc

What this article didn't mention was that Stephen Moore will be reprising his role as the voice of Marvin. No word on who will play Zaphod.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Absolute Fan

Coolness. I'm not familiar with the others, but I loved Zooey Deschanel in Elf.

"What is love if cops don't come? I'm sorry, if you've never broken into my house or threatened my pets, you don't love me." --Storm Large
Old 03-03-2004, 03:32 PM
Dedicated Fan

Ooh! I did not know there was a board for this.

Anyway, I've been trying to download the original Radio production, but I am unable to find it. Does anyone know any webpages that have it?
Old 03-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Apologies, double post.

[ 03-03-2004: Message edited Kleenexwoman86 ]
Old 05-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Absolute Fan

From the IMDb:

Quote:
Grant Was First Choice for 'Hitchhiker'

British heart-throb Hugh Grant was late author Douglas Adams's first choice to play Arthur Dent in the long-awaited movie adaptation of his best- selling novel The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Adams penned the screenplay for a big screen version of his 1979 book before his sudden death of a heart attack in 2001. Last month filming began in London, with The Office star Martin Freeman playing Dent, rapper Mos Def as Ford Prefect and Bill Nighy as Slartibartfast. Nighy says of Freeman's casting in the role Adams wished for Grant, "They're both first class. Adams probably thought having Hugh on board would have got the film made."

Old 05-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Any news on when they plan to release the movie?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:41 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by C h r i s
Any news on when they plan to release the movie?
According to IMDB.com, they plan to release it in June 2005. Of course, that could change between now and then.

Do not presume that because I'm pro-gay rights, that I'm not a Christian.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:52 AM
Master Fan

Hi! I'm new on here. I'm so happy I found this board!

They're making a movie? YAY! I don't know how I feel about Mos Def playing Ford or quite how badly I'd react if the movie lost too much Britishness, but I'll be happy for now.

There's been a movie made before that I saw, but it was really campy and eighties and low budget and ended a stretch before the end of "Restaurant." I wonder how far this will go?

I'd have to say that, so far, my favorites are the original trilogy, and I found "So Long" very disappointing. I hope "Mostly Harmless" will make up for it.

I love Ford and Arthur, especially when they're together. I guess that's one reason "So Long" upset me. Once Ford arrived at Islington, everything went up. Of course, I also love Marvin. And Zaphod. And Trillian. I love that whole crew when they're together. And with Slarty and Eddie there, too--I don't think one can lose. Fenchurch, though, I'm not dealing with so well. She's sweet, I guess, but...I guess I just have some resistance built up. By the way, does anyone know if there's any place that ships Arthur/Trillian and what the ship is called? I've been calling them "Earthlings" but...eh.

Quotes? I don't think I could possibly even think of any; there's so much stimulation created by all the many fab quotes that I just kinda close off, autistic-like. But, recent memory, the British sandwich bit had me laughing long and hard. Oh, and: "Deep in his greasy, smelly bunk, fashioned out of a maintenance hatchway, Ford Prefect slept among his towels, dreaming of old haunts. He dreamed at one point in his slumbers of New York. In his dreams he was walking late at night along the East Side, beside the river which had become so extravagantly polluted that new life forms were now emerging from it spontaneously, demanding welfare and voting rights."

And another bit. Oh. My. Lanta. I SO found a "Save The Humans" bumper sticker at Knotts Berry Farm. And immediately resolved to buy it, of course, as it reminded me of the dolphins and their campaign. Said sticker is now on my wall.

Last edited by Airie75; 02-28-2005 at 05:07 PM
Old 01-01-2005, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Star

Here's the teaser poster. Looks good.

Old 01-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Fan

There's a sort of trailer as well.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:39 PM
Elite Fan

THat's Suga and Dev.

Muchos appreciated.
Vampires don't "sparkle" in the sun: they screech in horror, burst into flame and wither to ash.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

I really, really hope this is good. I'm a massive fan of the old BBC radio show, my father has them all on tape. I've been burned by so many films recently (Thunderbirds, Riddick etc)