Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 AM
Fan Forum Star

Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth #1: Five factions. One girl. One choice.

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles to determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes infuriating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves… or it might destroy her.

*Coming May 1st, 2012*

One choice can transform you—or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable—and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

Fanlist;
1. Stay to the Lights
2. Andie
3. AtomicEmpress
4. sourburst
5. Millie Mae

Last edited by Lutesse; 02-11-2016 at 01:10 PM
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for starting the thread, Jen Glad to see the book having one here now.

Shall we do a fan list?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

We should. I will put one in the OP.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:10 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for starting the thread, Jen.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Have you read it, Dan?
Old 12-27-2011, 06:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay to the Lights (View Post)
We should. I will put one in the OP.
Awesome!

Add me, please
Old 12-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Of course!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Of course!
Thanks

What did you like about the book? Tris was a big reason why I enjoyed the book as much as I did.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

She was a very strong protagonist. The book was also addicting as in.. action packed, and I adored her relationship with Four.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
She was a very strong protagonist. The book was also addicting as in.. action packed, and I adored her relationship with Four.
There was a lot going on there... the world she set it in was interesting too.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

It definitely is I think in the next book we're gonna see more of the other fractions
Old 12-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It definitely is I think in the next book we're gonna see more of the other fractions
I'd like that... to understand the concepts they are living.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Have you read it, Dan?
I haven't, but it looks interesting. *put on the ever-growing to-read list*
Old 12-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

Oh, I know how that feels I have a never ending TBR list too.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 AM
Elite Fan

Add me please! I read Divergent when it was the book of the month on the book thread and I really enjoyed it, I think the think I loved the most about it was not only was it a book with a great story, wonderful characters and ideas. But it also has a lot of themes and I think a lot of the book can either be taken at face value or taken as much deeper points.

For examples like choices we make about family (Blood) vs. made family or organization (whathave you)

I also was very strongly struck by what was said about Al's death being a leap into the unknown. In their faction a funeral was a celebration so you couldn't be honest about what a tragedy it was and how it was a terrible thing and a waste of a life. So they come up with this thing to whitewash the uglyness away, by saying Al was so 'brave'.

Also I like that Veronica Roth showed some not so nice or pretty things in Tris' personality, like the fact that she said something negative about Al in her mind even after he had killed himself. Most writers I think would have been afraid to show their characters in a negative light but I think this flushes Tris out, why would you be mush and pitying someone who just recently tried to end your life. I mean maybe some people would but not most, I don't think.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread