Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Part-Time Fan

Young Teen Loses Both Feet On Popular Six Flags Ride

I hadn't seen this one here yet, and I want to know what other's think on this:

Quote:
Louisville, KY. —WHAS11 News has learned that 13-year-old Kaitlyn Lasitter is the teenager who had both of her legs severed above the ankles on the Superman Tower of Power ride at Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom on last Thursday. Lasitter is a student at Highland Middle School in Louisville and is known as Katie by her friends there.

The young teen has been recovering at Vanderbilt Hospital in Nashville and is said to be conscious and doing okay. A neighbor describes the girl as bubbly, beautiful, positive and very close to her family. She also says the girl has already talked about writing a book about her experience.

The Superman Tower of Power remains shutdown as the state investigates the accident. According to the Associated Press, the president of the company that provided the ride to Kentucky Kingdom said that a failed cord is what caused the girl’s feet to be severed.

Here's a link to the web page with the full story:
Link
Old 06-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Master Fan

I read about that Apparently similar rides have been closed down across the States.
e. e. cummings - somewhere i have never traveled
Old 06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, I'm down in Virginia and the ride Dropzone at Paramounts Kings Dominion has been shut down. Personally, I cannot ride that type of ride because it's just not something I like. I understand why they've done it, since all of those rides work almost identically.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I heard about this it's so sad
Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The 80s

That is scary. Hopefully the girl will be okay.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Master Fan

Also, a girl died the other day on a ride at Disneyland Paris.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Alright, not to impersonate the devil or anything, but I'm wondering if the people who have these horrendous freak accidents aren't sometimes partially at fault. Now, obviously, some rides have grossly malfunctionned in the past. But I've also been on a lot of them where I saw for myself people who clearly acted in a way that flew in the face of safety regulations.

Obviously, whichever one it was in this case, nothing can undo the trauma of this kind of injury. And I have no desire to diminish that either.

I'm merely saying that, if anything, this should teach people to be more cautious and take as much responsibility as humanly possible for their own safety.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Part-Time Fan

In this case, I believe the girl was riding the ride just how she should have been. She was just in the right place to have the cord wrap around her feet and rip them off.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Banned

I hate roller coaster rides mainly because I'm afraid I will throw up all over the place. I also might have a dizzy spell. I hate those. I don't think people are stupid to ride roller coasters and theme park rides. Theme parks and amusement parks are suppose to make sure that their crap works and is safe. If it doesn't work, then it's their fault and not the customers.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

In this case, it's nobody's fault. They had the ride checked just a few weeks earlier. They still do not know just what happened, which is why they shut down all similar rides across the country and even international because it's got people scared as far as how it happened with no reason being found behind it.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

My God, if they have no idea how it could have happened, and she was doing everything right, then obviously, obviously, there was something terribly wrong with that ride.

I'm starting to understand why my mum never let me ride rollercoasters when I was younger. Mind you, I love rollercoasters. Always have, always will. But, egads. Can you imagine?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yup, that's why they've all been closed. I love roller coasters, but I always stayed away from that kind of ride cause it scared me just looking at it. This whole event has made sure that I'm never going to ride it.
Old 07-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ick, poor thing.

Sasha
Old 07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Master Fan

Yikes. I've been on that ride... and am suddenly very glad I still have my feet.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:58 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
Alright, not to impersonate the devil or anything, but I'm wondering if the people who have these horrendous freak accidents aren't sometimes partially at fault. Now, obviously, some rides have grossly malfunctionned in the past. But I've also been on a lot of them where I saw for myself people who clearly acted in a way that flew in the face of safety regulations.

Obviously, whichever one it was in this case, nothing can undo the trauma of this kind of injury. And I have no desire to diminish that either.

I'm merely saying that, if anything, this should teach people to be more cautious and take as much responsibility as humanly possible for their own safety.
i agree with you on this completely.