Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-27-2008, 01:53 AM
Elite Fan

Leia or Luke is fine. That's as far as I'll go. Now naming your kids Yoda, Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader, R2D2....
Old 07-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

There's a commission in either Quebec or Canada that does a similar thing.

I had a friend in college who did a research paper on it. It's been a while but, among names that this commission prevented from being given to children (as in, there were actual parents who tried to name their kid this name) were:

Cowboy
Satan
Spatula

And... my "favourite"...

Hysterectomy
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnykerr (View Post)
There's a commission in either Quebec or Canada that does a similar thing.

I had a friend in college who did a research paper on it. It's been a while but, among names that this commission prevented from being given to children (as in, there were actual parents who tried to name their kid this name) were:

Cowboy
Satan
Spatula

And... my "favourite"...

Hysterectomy
How could you do that to your own child?!

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well, just looking at wacky celebrity names, it seems that a lot of people would rather have an "original" name for their kid than one they can actually live with.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Remember the story we had earlier about feet being found on British Columbia's western shores?

I don't have a link to a story (I can't find one, maybe you guys can?), but I heard on the WPTZ (our CBS station) that, apparently, they've now found one or more in northwestern Washington State, too...
Old 08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Elite Fan

^ Oh gross.

Well, when the stupidity level of some Floridians couldn't get any higher:

Aug 7, 3:35 PM EDT

The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA - AP NEWS

Grandma arrested for driving with child on roof

MARATHON, Fla. (AP) -- Authorities say a grandmother was arrested for driving around the parking lot of a Marathon grocery store with her 3-year-old child sitting on the roof of the car.

Monroe County Sheriff's Office deputies were called to the Publix store Tuesday and arrested a 54-year-old woman after she was driving around with her three-year-old granddaughter on the roof of her car.

The grandmother was released from jail 15 hours later.

The woman said Thursday she would never let anything hurt her granddaughter. She says she was driving at "snail-speed" and holding the child's leg.

Authorities say the woman told police she was giving the child some air and letting her have fun.

She faces charges of child abuse. The child is back with her mother.

If it wasn't for the current housing slump, I swear I'd pack my bags and leave this senseless state.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:08 PM
Elite Fan

I remember seeing this episode back in the early 90s of that Rescue 911 show where the kid was riding on top of the car with her back to the windshield. Unfortunately something happened and...let's just say the child got hurt pretty bad.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

to the foot story. I hope they figure that out real soon.

and people really want to name their children some strange things...makes you feel bad for the kids...

That woman..what was she thinking...dosen't matter if she was going slow... idiot move.

Not to mention the poor childs backside..the top of that car must have been hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vc318 (View Post)

Well, when the stupidity level of some Floridians couldn't get any higher:

@ that comment!This is the state that is so worried about over crowded schools and not having money to build more, yet they continue to close school after school because it gets a failing grade on the FCAT.... Hello people in charge, stop forcing kids to take/worry/ stress over theis test t so the school gets money if they pass and closed if they don't and start teaching the kids like it's supossed to be done. sorry that is just a real sore subject for me..

but yeah anyway...people in Florida seem to get dumber by the second especially if they are in a position of power ...

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalikala (View Post)
:
@ that comment!This is the state that is so worried about over crowded schools and not having money to build more, yet they continue to close school after school because it gets a failing grade on the FCAT.... Hello people in charge, stop forcing kids to take/worry/ stress over theis test t so the school gets money if they pass and closed if they don't and start teaching the kids like it's supossed to be done. sorry that is just a real sore subject for me..

but yeah anyway...people in Florida seem to get dumber by the second especially if they are in a position of power ...
You hit it right on the nose - that indeed is surely us.

More wacky news to share:

FOXNews.com - 'Dead' Man Awakens Before Autopsy, Shocks Doctors by Asking for Glass of Water - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

Dead' Man Awakens Before Autopsy, Shocks Doctors by Asking for Glass of Water

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

An Indian man who was knocked unconscious during a stampede of thousands of religious pilgrims on a steep Himalayan mountain path woke up as doctors were preparing to perform his autopsy, the Times of India reported.

Mange Ram, 19, lost consciousness in the stampede that killed 150 people and was triggered by rumors of a landslide leading to a Hindu temple devoted to the goddess Naina Devi.

Ram awoke in the hospital morgue Sunday in the northern Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.

"When I woke up, I was in the middle of a row of bodies waiting for post mortem," he told the Times. "My throat was parched and I asked for water. Towering over me the doctors and nursing staff at Anandpur Sahib Civil Hospital looked dazed. They must have been surprised to see a dead man come alive like that."

Sat Pal Aggarwal, a doctor on the pilgrimage, said little was done to see if victims of the stampede were still alive.

"People were dumped quite haphazardly into trucks without following any procedure or checking if they were alive," he told the Times.

Despite the huge loss of life, the pilgrimage continued only hours after the corpses had been cleared, according to the newspaper.

Good thing he wasn't cremated.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

That was such a horrible story. Good to know one man survived.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Elite Fan

Who would name their kid Sex Fruit?! That is so disturbing.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:11 AM
Elite Fan

Mom says child’s toy had a mouth like a trucker
Fisher-Price walkie-talkie picked up drivers’ strip club, drug discussions
The Associated Press
updated 1:55 p.m. HT, Thurs., Aug. 7, 2008

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - A West Virginia mother is seeking a recall of a popular walkie-talkie after her 3-year-old’s toy apparently intercepted a profanity-laced conversation between truckers about drugs and strip clubs.

Deborah Pancaro, 34, said she contacted Fisher-Price after she heard a conversation in which a man said “10-4” and other things that led her to believe the device was relaying a CB radio conversation.

“They said we should go smoke some weed, and were talking about being in a strip bar, some really explicit things,” Pancaro said Thursday.

The walkie-talkie is sold exclusively at Wal-Mart and allows children to role-play animal rescues like the Diego character does on the cartoon series “Dora the Explorer” and “Go, Diego, Go!”

The walkie-talkie is supposed to have a range of about 20 feet, but Pancaro said she heard one of the voices say he was driving on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, about 275 miles north of Huntington.

Pancaro, who bought the toy on Aug. 2, said she sent a letter to Fisher-Price, urging it to either fix the toy so it wouldn’t pick up CB chatter or pull the product from the shelves.

Fisher-Price apologized for Pancaro’s “disappointing experience” and has made two unsuccessful attempts to contact her since Wednesday, spokeswoman Juliette Reashor said in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

With a limited number of operating frequencies available for radio-type walkie-talkies, she said they occasionally will pick up transmissions from other products.

Though the product has not been recalled, Wal-Mart says on its Web site that it is being discontinued. A spokeswoman for the company based in Bentonville, Ark., said Thursday she would look into the matter.

Pancaro said she planned to return Fisher-Price’s call later Thursday.

“It’s not about the money. I’d just hate for little kids to be hearing things like that, and I thought maybe they didn’t know.”
---
Source: Mom says child’s toy had a mouth like a trucker - Retail - MSNBC.com

I must know where to get these now!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:48 AM
Elite Fan

^ Kris, thanks for that!

This news is so funny:

Bizarre News

FARDAL, Norway - A Fardal, Norway, man said his attempt to rid his garage of wasps ended with the structure burning to the ground with his car inside. The elderly man said he poured lighter fluid on a rag and lit it in an attempt to smoke the wasps out of their nest, but the flames spread to the woodpile that held the nest and ignited a blaze that took down the entire garage. Aftenposten reported Thursday, “Maybe using lighter fluid wasn’t such a good idea, but it was an accident all the same and the wasps are gone,” the man said. He said he is waiting to hear from his insurance company to see if the loss of his garage and car will be covered.

Sure your wasps are gone but so is your home! Poor guy. I hope the insurance will cover the damages.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

A lesson for all, I guess.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is this the end for popcorn in cinemas?

From correspondents in London August 11, 2008 03:17pm

Banned ... is this the end for popcorn in cinemas?
THE credits are rolling in Britain for the time-honoured cinematic tradition of munching popcorn at the movies as increasing numbers of cinemas ban it.

A combination of health-conscious cinemagoers and disgust at its distinctive smell is steadily spelling "The End" for the snack in some arthouse cinema chains, the Observer reported yesterday.

It quoted Daniel Broch, the owner of the renowned Everyman cinema in London's upmarket Hampstead district, who recently bought 17 more venues.

"I will de-popcorn every new venue I acquire," he said.

"It has a disproportionate influence on the space in terms of its overwhelming smell, the cultural idea of it and the operational problems created by the mess it produces.

"I'm not saying no popcorn is better than popcorn," he said.

"But I am saying there is no way in which it fits with the culturally sophisticated brand I wish to sell."

The Picturehouse Cinema, a chain of 19 cinemas across Britain, will experiment with popcorn-free screenings in September.

"Popcorn is a contentious issue. Lots of people absolutely hate it and have asked us to ban it, so we're going to do exactly that," the group's head of media, Gabriel Swartland, told the Observer.

"If it's a success, and I've no reason to suspect it won't be, we'll roll it out across all our cinemas and make it a permanent fixture," said Mr Swartland.

But other cinemas which tried to go popcorn-free found customers demanded it.

"Audiences in three venues... began asking for popcorn, so we provided it," said Richard Napper, marketing director of the Curzon chain.

Is this the end for popcorn in cinemas? | NEWS.com.au Entertainment

People don't always buy popcorn this is nuts