Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 PM
Master Fan

Republican - Conservative Thread: Because we're evil and conquering the world!

Not to name any names, but some of us just like to pretend to be evil. (Okay, fine, I wanna name names. *cough*sum1*cough* )

From the last thread's opening post (with required modifcations), compiled by aldebaran & Katis:

Welcome to the 9th Republican/Conservative thread. If you're a newbie, please don't feel intimidated to post your thoughts, or even just stop in to say hello. All posters, whether you be conservative or liberal are welcome as long as you are not here to antagonize or start arguments.
~*~

In case you have the time or the inclination, here is the last thread for your reading pleasure.

Please note the below information on how we all can support our troops. I think this info should be included at the start of each thread. If you know of any other legitimate organizations that you think should be added to the list, please let me know!

There's Operation USO Care Package. Due to increased security, people are no longer allowed to send care packages to "Any Soldier." For a $25 donation, the USO will send a care package to one of the troops.

You can also "adopt" a specific service member to pray for by visiting this website. (Note: This link doesn;t work for me, is there an update link?)

There are probably quite a few service members who do not receive a lot of mail, if any at all. The mail that they do receive gets to them very slowly. If you would like to correspond with any of the troops, you can visit Operation Military Support for more info (i.e. to request the name of someone with whom you can exchange letters).

Support the Troops has (what I think is) a unique way to show support for our troops. You can donate books for the libraries on bases and on ships. There is more info on the site, but think about it - it must get pretty boring out there at sea with not much to do during the down time. (I get a 404 error for this-?)

Operation Shoebox is a good site as well. If you already have someone overseas to whom you can mail a care package, it has suggestions on what to include. If you don’t know of anyone but want to contribute items for a care package, it has information on how you do that as well.

I am not trying to specifically plug any of the above. I just think it is great that there are so many different ways that we can show our support for the men and women who defend us and protect our country.
~*~

Other good sites I've run across:

Honest Reporting
Awesome Seminars with Neil Lazarus (Neil's a nice guy)
Palestinian Media Watch
Middle East Media REsearch Institute (MEMRI)

(I'm a bit of a one-issue girl, amn't I? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I promise, I do have opinions on other topics as well. I'm just not *quite* as vocal.)
Sites my sister likes:
Little Green Footballs
Instapundit
Google News (compiles news from hundreds of sources)

Any additions?

Ohmygoodness. I can't believe I forgot Bob.

Here's Bob, our beloved mascot: [img]smilies/elephant.gif[/img]

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited elisheva ]

[ 01-01-2004: Message edited elisheva ]
e. e. cummings - somewhere i have never traveled
Old 12-03-2003, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Um, we both started them at the same time. Ouch.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sum1:
<STRONG>Um, we both started them at the same time. Ouch.</STRONG>
Just saw [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Ooops. We should edit one to say ooops please close...shall I do that?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe it should be "Because we're idiots who can't start a thread properly"? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by sum1:
<STRONG>Maybe it should be "Because we're idiots who can't start a thread properly"? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Or maybe if certain people would have been online then the mishap would have been averted [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:31 PM
Total Fan

Yay, new thread. elisheva, do you want to grab the intro from the last thread and stick it into your first post, though so we can have everything saved in there?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

I see the duplicate thread problem's been dealt with. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Katis:
<STRONG>Yay, new thread. elisheva, do you want to grab the intro from the last thread and stick it into your first post, though so we can have everything saved in there?</STRONG>
Am doing that right now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Extreme Fan

I am not evil, though choosing to use the title "conservative" might make others assume that I am (cough*somelibs*cough). I do think I would make a kick-ass world ruler, though. If only I had the motivation.....

And now for something completely different - a post from Newsmax!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] It is a long piece that was written last year, but I think it is a good one and contains some valid points. I would be interested in hearing what you have to say after reading it (you being the regular posters for the right-leaning thread). That is, if you can take a break from your plots and schemes for world domination [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Happy Holidays? No, Merry Christmas!

David C. Stolinsky, M.D.
Monday, Dec. 23, 2002

This year it seems that fewer people wish one another "Merry Christmas." Instead, in an effort not to give offense, they say "Happy Holidays."

Obviously, Christmas means the most to Christians, who make up the large majority of Americans. Yet non-Christians can also enjoy the beauty of the season, and they can honor the holiday without observing it – unless they are eager to take offense.

I spent my early years in a small North Dakota town where my family were the only Jews. The Christmas lights and caroling at school didn't bother me in the least. On the contrary, I enjoyed this happy time.

Later we moved to San Francisco, where my public high school had an annual Christmas program. Because it was organized by a Catholic priest, I came to love the Latin words to "Adeste Fideles." Although there were many non-Christian students like me, nobody complained. Those who did not wish to attend could go to the library, so there was no compulsion – only enjoyment of the beautiful program.

My parents explained that this wasn't our holiday, but it was the holiday of most Americans, so I learned to honor it without observing it. My parents grounded me in my religion, so they had no fear that seeing a holly wreath or hearing "Silent Night" could cause me emotional distress. In fact, they would have found that idea laughable.

I learned that there is nothing wrong with being different – that going along with the group is not always required. That is, I learned that my worth derived from what I did as an individual, and not from mere membership in a group.

And I learned that being different didn't mean I was better or worse than anyone else, just different. This lesson helped me avoid the pitfalls of the teen years. Perhaps it made me a bit of a loner, too, but at least I didn't believe that belonging to some clique or "in" group would mean anything in the long run.

Equally important, I learned not to be easily offended. When someone wished me "Merry Christmas," I replied with the same words. It wasn't my holiday – so what? A colleague wished that my day would be merry. How could that offend me? Why should people take offense at greetings or decorations for a holiday they don't happen to celebrate? What could be offensive about pretty decorations and good wishes?

What really is offensive is objecting to these beneficial things. If I were in France, I would expect most people to celebrate Bastille Day. And if France were attacked, I would be amazed if many people did not display the French flag and voice patriotic feelings. I would be a fool to expect otherwise, and an ingrate to take offense.

Why is it that some Americans take offense when Christmas lights are hung, or when people display the flag after the worst terrorist attack in our history? What offends people often reveals more about them than about the event that offends them.

The ease with which people take offense today is a manifestation of childish narcissism and intolerance: Why should I adapt to all the people around me? No, I insist that they adapt to me.

When infants are hungry, they want to eat now. As children grow older, they learn to wait until the meal is ready. They realize, however reluctantly, that the world doesn't revolve around them. They begin to accept that other people have needs and wants as strong and as legitimate as their own.

But narcissists remain in an emotionally infantile stage. They expect 288 million Americans to adapt to them. They don't like colored lights? Go to court and have them extinguished. They don't like Santa Claus? Have the school board kick him out.

They don't like the word "Christmas" because it denotes the birth of Christ? Insist that "holiday" be substituted. But this year, Hanukkah and Ramadan occurred before Christmas. So what holiday is it? Millard Fillmore's birthday?

Worse yet, for "Christmas" substitute "winter holiday." Instead of the birth of Jesus, celebrate the winter solstice. Of course, the position of the sun imposes no moral obligations on us – which may be the real reason for the change.

What about the "wall of separation" between church and state? Few know that Jefferson, the author of that phrase, felt it was his duty to attend Sunday religious services when he was president – which were held in the Capitol Building at public expense.

Advocates of the "wall of separation" were strangely silent when liberal clergy came to the White House and "laid hands" on President Clinton to empower him to resist impeachment. But imagine the uproar if conservative clergy came to the White House and prayed for President Bush to have power to resist the Democrats.

The advocates remain silent when schools teach kids about the "Holy" Koran and the "Prophet" Muhammad. But imagine the uproar if schools taught about the "Holy" Bible, the "Prophet" Moses, or the "Messiah" Jesus.

Require college freshmen to read the Koran? Use taxpayer money to fund a PBS program glorifying Islam? Teach school kids a radical environmentalist agenda that resembles pagan worship of trees and rocks? No problem. But the Ten Commandments in front of a courthouse? A Nativity scene on a city hall lawn? Santa Claus or carols in schools? Christmas vacation instead of "winter break"? Never!

Apparently the "wall" has a door that opens only to the left.

Similarly, some people feel uncomfortable when flags appear everywhere and signs proclaim "God bless America." They fob off their own feelings onto foreign visitors, who couldn't care less. They demand greater "sensitivity" and "tolerance."

What about sensitivity and tolerance for the deepest beliefs and feelings of the majority? What about some appreciation for the charitable work done at this season, and for the Salvation Army Santas ringing their bells and collecting donations in their kettles?

And what about gratitude? Our country, whose freedom and abundance we enjoy, was founded by Christians who used the Bible as one of their principal guides. Instead of the eagle, Ben Franklin proposed for our Great Seal the following:

Moses standing on the shore, and extending his hand over the sea, thereby causing the same to overwhelm Pharaoh who is sitting in an open chariot, a crown on his head and a sword in his hand. Rays from a pillar of fire in the clouds reaching to Moses, to express that he acts by command of the Deity.
Motto, "Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God."

And what was Jefferson's proposal for the Seal? "The Children of Israel in the wilderness, led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night." Are we to believe that Franklin and Jefferson didn't understand the "wall," but the ACLU knows better?

Wisely, the Founders provided that no one sect would be allowed to predominate. They established a secular government for a religious people. But now, some would distort freedom of religion into freedom from religion. They take offense at anything that does not accord with their own beliefs – or lack of belief. They insist that the nation revolve around them.

Specifically, they believe that moral principles can be handed down from one generation to another without any Source for these principles. This belief requires a leap of faith just as much as does a religious belief.

There is no historical basis for the assumption that a purely secular society can retain its moral principles over the generations. In fact, Western Europe seems to be proving precisely the opposite. Yet we are betting everything we have that this assumption is correct. Is this a wise bet?

Is there too much happiness in the world? Is there a shortage of sadness and grief? Does hearing "Joy to the world" really cause a problem?

Is there too much friendship in the world? Is there a deficiency of hatred and strife? Does "Peace on earth, good will toward men" really sound oppressive?

Is there too much tolerance in the world? Is there a lack of egocentric intolerance masquerading as "tolerance"? Is there a lack of narcissistic insensitivity disguised as "sensitivity"? Do we really need more people insisting, "All of you must adapt to me"?

Is there too much moral courage in the world? Do we need more cowardice in the face of a noisy minority of ingrates?

Is there too much fellowship in the world? Is there a dearth of hostility and ill will? Does a hearty "Merry Christmas!" really give offense?

Is there too much light in the world? Is there a scarcity of darkness and gloom? Do pretty lights really cause distress?

A wise man said that it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness. But what would he have thought of those who curse the candle?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Total Fan

It looks weird, the whole top is clogged with out threads, [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Bah, don't want to go to class or work. And my ankle hurts [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]

Edited because I didn't see aldebaran's post. Awesome article, awesome, awesome. I am going to send it to some of the people in my CR group. It's so true.

And lack of motivation is fine, that's what minions are for [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited Katis ]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:40 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>Bah, don't want to go to class or work. And my ankle hurts [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Sheesh, Kate, didn't you hear the new rule? If your ankle hurts, then you are exempt from all normally required activities that make you [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]. Seriously. It's written down somewhere......perhaps one of the dictators could back me up?

&lt;aldebaran consults her dusty "How to Become a Dictator in 7 Easy Steps" manual written by [img]smilies/elephant.gif[/img] Bob&gt;

Ah, there it is. [img]smilies/elephant.gif[/img] Bob states that ankle pain - the worst of all physical pains, mind you - not only gives you a pass on work and class but also makes you Queen of the Southern Hemisphere for the day.

There you go. Straight from the elephant's trunk! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-03-2003: Message edited aldebaran ]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally posted by elisheva:
<STRONG>Or maybe if certain people would have been online then the mishap would have been averted [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Oh, you're to talk! Not online because you're so sleepy you're going to chat for few hours! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
<STRONG>It looks weird, the whole top is clogged with out threads, [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Bah, don't want to go to class or work. And my ankle hurts [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]</STRONG>
It looks cool! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Your ankle? The one you broke? Still causing you trouble?
Old 12-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Last edited by sum1; 03-12-2008 at 04:14 AM