Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Loyal Fan

Radio station makes song mocking Tsunami victims...

Quote:
Hip-hop radio station HOT 97 has sparked outrage across the city by airing a twisted song that shockingly mocks the 200,000 victims of the South Asian tsunami.

Quote:
Before one airing of the song, the station's news reader, Miss Info, who is of Asian descent, objected to the song, only to be attacked by Jones and her cohorts.

"That song is really offensive to me, and I opted not to involve myself," Miss Info said.

Jones replied, "I know you feel you're superior because you're Asian, but you're not." Later, co-host Todd Lyn, incensed at Miss Info's criticism, said, "I'm going to start shooting Asians."
Quote:
But Dimick refused to say whether Jones would be fired.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-235138c.html

There shouldn't even be anything question. Everyone involved with making that song should be fired.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

I think the whole station should lose its broadcasting privilages.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Passionate Fan

Okay I am usually all about freedom of speech.

But thats just wrong..I am going to be mailing some folks.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Passionate Fan

Well it's a hip-hop station and usually that style of music seems to be big into pushing the limits and being controversial.

It's pathetic and sick. And "Asians feel superior..."?? Ha, where did she get THAT?

Last edited by mh67511; 01-25-2005 at 07:31 PM
Old 01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh67511
It's pathetic and sick. And "Asians feel superior..."?? Ha, where did she get THAT?
Tell me about it, that's just bull. Unless I'm just totally not hearing about all those Asian supremist organizations out there in America, committing hate crimes against other races.

What kind of heartless idiot makes a song like that? I applaud Miss Info for standing up for herself.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Passionate Fan

That's just unbelievably inconsiderate and unprofessional. Everyone involved ought to be fired.

"Asians are superior?" Considering it's a Hip-Hop station, and almost every single member of its staff is black, I'd say "Miss Info" is the minority there. How does that put her in a position to be 'superior' to them? That was just ignorant.

And, "I'm going to start shooting Asians?" That guy is an assh**e. And so many people of that ethnicity wonder why they have a bad rap.

I'm not racist in the slightest bit, but that really irritated me, especially from those particular people.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think we had that song in Australia
Old 01-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambular

And, "I'm going to start shooting Asians?" That guy is an assh**e. And so many people of that ethnicity wonder why they have a bad rap.

I'm not racist in the slightest bit, but that really irritated me, especially from those particular people.
I understand where you are coming from. You just wouldn't expect people who have had to face prejudice themselves to redirect it at somebody else. Ah, and it was a girl who said that, not a guy.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Fair Verona
I understand where you are coming from. You just wouldn't expect people who have had to face prejudice themselves to redirect it at somebody else. Ah, and it was a girl who said that, not a guy.
Actually someone named Todd said he was gonna start shooting Asians.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:39 PM
Master Fan

Ah, I see. I saw the 'Lyn' part, not the 'Todd' part and thought it must have been a woman. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:58 PM
Passionate Fan

Totally off topic, but I always felt bad for the guys with the girls names. Like a guy named Kelly. It's just wrong. So you never know Todd could be a womans name. But Todd certainly doesn't sound very "Hip Hop" to me.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:20 AM
Master Fan

Todd is probably a wannabe

I went to school with a guy named Leslie... he got harassed so much, he started going by his middle name Paul...

back on topic: this disgusts me, i cannot fathom how anyone with a conscious could particpate in something like this...
Old 01-26-2005, 01:50 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by - Jen -
I went to school with a guy named Leslie... he got harassed so much, he started going by his middle name Paul...
What would posess any parent to choose a name like that?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh67511
What would posess any parent to choose a name like that?
his parents were a little strange...

apparently his parents were convinced he was going to be a girl, and that they would name the baby Leslie after a grandmother, when he turned out to be a boy, they still named him Leslie cos its technically classed as a unisex name...

Last time i saw him, he was actually planning on officially changing his name to Paul...
Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Fair Verona
Well actually I checked the Hot 97 website and looked at the Staff List just to be sure before I ripped into him But yeah, someone else already pointed that out. He's definitely a guy

But yes, you're right, and you said it better than me I kind of feel like, after what "his people" (if that doesn't sound too...insensitive) have gone through and how far they've come over the last couple decades, he's gotta have a lot of audacity to put down someone of another race. I mean, anyone would of course, but you see what I mean.