Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Mexican immigrants take jobs "not even" blacks want

Quote:
MEXICO CITY - President Vicente Fox tried to smooth relations with the U.S. black community Wednesday after saying Mexican immigrants take jobs that "not even" blacks want, promising to work with the Rev. Jesse Jackson to improve labor rights for minorities in the United States.

The meeting between Fox and Jackson at the presidential residence was a sharp contrast from a few days ago, when Jackson called on the Mexican president to issue a public apology.

Fox met with Jackson for more than an hour, but didn't participate in a news conference immediately following the talks because he had to leave for a trip to northern Mexico. Fox has made no public reference to his comment Friday, instead issuing often inconsistent statements through his spokespeople.

Jackson said Fox was scheduled to appear on the civil rights leader's radio program Sunday. The Mexican leader was also invited to several U.S. labor forums, although it wasn't clear if he planned to attend.

Foreign Secretary Luis Ernesto Derbez, who appeared at the news conference on Fox's behalf, said the meeting was an opportunity for Mexico to pursue better treatment for Mexican and other Latino migrants in the United States. Some 25 million people of Mexican heritage live in the United States.

"This relationship, which today became closer for the Mexican government, is one more avenue, one more process of mutual support in the search for a common objective that is integrated, complete migratory reform," Derbez said.

Jackson said Fox's comment Friday was "at best, insensitive," but that the Mexican president had expressed regret for any offense he had caused.

"He now realizes the harmful effects of it," Jackson said. "He seeks to correct it by acting and by reaching out."

Jackson said the statement, which angered the U.S. black community, was a chance for minority groups in the United States to begin working together to fight for better treatment and wages.

"We must work together, fighting for the right to vote, and for health care and wages."

The controversy came as Mexico fumed over new U.S. immigration policies, including tightened requirements for driver's licenses and the extension of a wall along the California-Mexico border.

Jackson acknowledged Mexican frustration, saying: "Our future is in building bridges and not walls."

He cited Tuesday's victory at the polls by Antonio Villaraigosa, the first Hispanic to be elected Los Angeles mayor in more than a century, as an example of black and Hispanic leaders working together.

"Last time Antonio Villaraigosa ran for mayor of L.A., and the black caucus and the Hispanics did not come together," Jackson said. "Yesterday they came together, and he won."

The U.S. government initially criticized Fox's statement, with U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher saying Monday it was "very insensitive and inappropriate."

The next day, White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Fox "made a public statement regretting his comments, and I think he's addressed the matter."

Jackson criticized President Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for not personally responding to Fox's comment. One "would expect some official statement from our government."
Any thoughts?

Kind of a stupid thing to say. There are hardworkers and lazy people in every group/race. Maybe he should focus more on improving life in his country and addressing WHY so many people go to America. Maybe if things were better in Mexico they wouldn't be as interested in coming here? But I don't know how much corruption there is, or if the drug lords rule, or if they collect taxes or what.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Banned

The comment was kind of offense but it doesn't bother me that much. Granted I am part mexican and black so....
Old 05-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Passionate Fan

I wonder what it would have been like if a white person said it...probably more of a reaction, at least I would assume.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Total Fan

Well I'm Mexican and I live in México, and I'm sorry to say it but Fox is a tool, most of the mexicans know it, he is insensitive with race issues because those are not as common in our country, but we do suffer from discrimination, the people with money think they are better than the people that don't have it and the people that don't have it need to find ways to earn it, since the jobs are lacking here when you have no college title or even a "highschool" (bachillerato really) one, the only way for them and their families to live well is to migrate to the states, but really, if a guy like him can't even tell that is the terrible way the goverment has handled the country the reason for the lack of jobs, much less he could notice when in the middle of a rant he says something that stupid.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

"not even blacks want"...
hm... wonder what that's about? what puts me in the "not even" catorgory?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Obsessed Fan

Stupid comment.

I do think we need to crackdown on illegal immigrants, though.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Old 05-23-2005, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh67511
I wonder what it would have been like if a white person said it...probably more of a reaction, at least I would assume.
Oh yeah... then again I am also part white...

Quote:
hm... wonder what that's about?
After thinking about it there is one job... Country singer. No black person that I know wants to be a Country singer.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Ray Charles was considered a country singer, to a degree. Charley Pride was a famous country superstar. And there's a country singer/rapper. I just can't remember his name.

Back on topic, I have yet to meet a Mexican who likes Vicente Fox. I'm not a fan myself. I thought it was idiotic of him to criticize the US for trying to control illegal immigration. Why doesn't he just work on his own country? I have no problem with immigration, but criticizing the US for not taking care of his own constiuents (sp?) is ridiculous.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer78
Ray Charles was considered a country singer, to a degree. Charley Pride was a famous country superstar. And there's a country singer/rapper. I just can't remember his name.
Yeah, but I don't know them on a personal level.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Extreme Fan

That comment so ignorant.....Lazy people come in all races.

That man should hope he doesn't ever met me, cause I have a few colorful things to say to him.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Passionate Fan

Just wanted to say I JUST saw an article in TIME about a black country singer! Pretty interesting, although I just skinned it. I'll try and find it.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Extreme Fan

The other day I was at the bus stop and there was this lady ranting about how mexicans here in Charlotte live a better life than the blacks. I thought it was funny cause she had just finished b!tching about some white lady discriminating her. I'm black by the way.

"He brings a level of intensity I enjoy. He's passionate about his work"-David Boreanaz on Jm
Old 06-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quite frankly I think it's taking the spotlight from a very important issue - all illegal aliens insult those of us that go into the US legally. We have to wait our turn, fill out visa applications, get processed, and then get there. All illegals should be deported - they did something *gasp* ILLEGAL. There should be a punishment mechanism. I'm all for immigration, just cut the freaking line.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:29 PM
DDD
Part-Time Fan

Very ignorant comment.

Both have it rough. Some mexicans are born into a less than stellar economy with few opportunities so they sneak over here often to help their families. They find constuction and hard labor jobs paying 3 to 4 dollars a hour. Understand that these jobs a very tough, heck, a lot our homes were built by these people. Their i deportation is sometimes held over their heads (even if it's a relative joke). The chance for advancement is very slim. For the young African American it's can often be even tougher to get your foot in the door. Go to a urban mall, you see young African American males filling out applications in the food court. They take them to stores and business that don't have African American males working their and would really rather not and would like to see the young man leave. They may have a better chance for advancement but getting in is the biggest hurdle. Fox should be trying to make his area a place people are fighting to get too instead making ignorant statements like that.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Elite Fan

Well... it's hard to be a legal immigrant to the US, as they've always been cherry-picking immigrants. Back during the Cold War, they only accepted immigrants that 'voted with their feet' against communism, and even now, you just have to notice the difference between Mexican and Cuban immigrats to see that it's still going on.