Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 02-03-2005, 04:34 PM
Obsessed Fan

marine general: "it's fun to shoot people"

....god help us.....i'm glad i'm not someone who thinks it's fun to shoot people...

full story here.....
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/03/gen...oot/index.html
Old 02-03-2005, 04:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Well. That's... interesting. I'm glad he's not coming to NZ anytime soon.

Fun indeed,
Old 02-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Fan

Um, sick???

Its GREAT to be politically correct!
Old 02-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Fan Forum Star

It's scary that people like him are made generals
Old 02-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMilkJug
It's scary that people like him are made generals
People don't get rank based on ideals, they get it based on skills and then a written exam, although officers might have spot promotions, I'm not sure. Besides, the man might be a good fighter, I'm sure he's been through a lot of things that we don't understand. Especially to be a 3 star marine General. But let's all just make assumptions about the man based on a single comment, why not.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Master Fan

People base other people on what they say and what they do. I don't have the time nor patience to go down to the US, meet this guy and spend some time with him so that I can then create an "informed" opinion of how he is. Anybody who says otherwise is a fool.

Either way, I'd like to see the positions of the Afghani military and the United States military reversed and see if this monster still finds it fun to shoot people. Devoid of humanity that's what I think.

Last edited by Timeo; 02-04-2005 at 08:54 PM
Old 02-04-2005, 09:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Did anyone here actually read the whole article? Because the title is quite deceiving.
Quote:
"Actually it's quite fun to fight them, you know. It's a hell of a hoot," Mattis said, prompting laughter from some military members in the audience. "It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up there with you. I like brawling.
Quote:
"You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil," Mattis said. "You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."
Sorry, but I think I'd have fun giving some jerk a taste of his own medicine too. I'm not gonna sit their racked with guilt over shooting a guy that slapped a women around. I don't think that even touches some of the things the Taliban does.

Now, it would be different if I killed some innocent guy who was just fighting a war cause he/she was sent to fight. That is definitely not fun.
as I watch the walls descend
as I watch the walls descend like stars
Old 02-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruvue
Did anyone here actually read the whole article? Because the title is quite deceiving.

Sorry, but I think I'd have fun giving some jerk a taste of his own medicine too. I'm not gonna sit their racked with guilt over shooting a guy that slapped a women around. I don't think that even touches some of the things the Taliban does.

Now, it would be different if I killed some innocent guy who was just fighting a war cause he/she was sent to fight. That is definitely not fun.
That is true. And, it seems he was preaching to the choir of sorts being that he was speaking to a military audience. Should he have been more careful with his wording? Perhaps, but he did say shoot not kill if we want to get into the nitty gritty. So maybe he did use some control, but I don't know.

Date: November 2, 2006
Time: 7:30pm
Event: Louisville v. West Virginia --- Only on ESPN
Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel
But let's all just make assumptions about the man based on a single comment, why not.
I get what your saying but sometimes things like this do tend to be a little frightining
GO TO
Matt CzuchryBoard|Roswell Board
Old 02-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
People don't get rank based on ideals, they get it based on skills and then a written exam, although officers might have spot promotions, I'm not sure. Besides, the man might be a good fighter, I'm sure he's been through a lot of things that we don't understand. Especially to be a 3 star marine General. But let's all just make assumptions about the man based on a single comment, why not.
I think I'll do what I want, I didn't tell you to agree with me and I certainly didn't give you leave to get snarky with me either.

My father was in the armed forces, I grew up on a miltary base. I do not need to be lectured, on how people get promoted, by you.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMilkJug
I think I'll do what I want, I didn't tell you to agree with me and I certainly didn't give you leave to get snarky with me either.

My father was in the armed forces, I grew up on a miltary base. I do not need to be lectured, on how people get promoted, by you.
It wasn't snarky, you don't have enough effect and impact on me to make me get snarky. I had no previous knowledge about your father. I was unaware that I needed to research your history before posting a responce. I didn't know that you knew about the promotion procedures, but other people might not. And you can do whatever you want but I'm going to do what I want to, so back off.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Addicted Fan

The thing is you can't expect to say something like that in this age of 24/7 news and not expect it to get out in the public. The man was speaking in a forum at a hotel..not in private with his friends or fellow soldiers. Open mouth and insert foot.

Bad judgement but he has no worries. The Pentagon won't do a thing to him. He got his hand slapped ever so slightly and that's it. Remember the general who said that his Christian God was better than the Muslim God? He still has his high level job. It's just the way it is with this Administration.

Last edited by ceilirose; 02-05-2005 at 05:38 AM
Old 02-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
, you don't have enough effect and impact on me to make me get snarky.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilirose
Remember the general who said that his Christian God was better than the Muslim God?
What is wrong with that? He probably doesn't believe in Islam or Allah like most Christians. I don't really know why he said "better" though because if you are Christian you probably wouldn't believe in Allah to begin with, so if something doesn't exist in his eyes how could it be "better?"
Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Elite Fan

Allah is derived from the Arabic al-Lah, literary meaning 'the (one) God'. So denouncing Allah is equal to denouncing God.