Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Class Dissection Of Live Dog Outrages Parents, Students

http://www.local6.com/news/4480144/detail.html

Student: 'It Just Makes Me Sick...'

POSTED: 8:12 am EDT May 12, 2005
UPDATED: 7:57 am EDT May 13, 2005

A biology class lesson in Gunnison, Utah involving the dissection of a live dog has outraged some parents and students, according to a report.

Bjerregaard made arrangements for his students to be a part of a dissection of a dog that was still alive.

The dog was still alive, but the teacher said it was sedated before the dissection began.

With the students watching, the sedated dog's digestive system was removed.

"It just makes me sick and I don't think this should go on anywhere and nobody's learning from it," student Sierra Sears said.

The teacher said the lesson would allow students to see the organs actually working.

"I thought that it would be just really a good experience if they could see the digestive system in the living animal," Bierregaard said.

The school's principal, Kirk Anderson, said notifications went to parents explaining the dog was going to be euthanized and that the experiment would be done with the dog's organs still functioning.

The teacher is standing by his decision and calls it the ultimate educational experience.

Principal Anderson said he supports the lesson and it will be allowed to continue because the students are learning.

The dog used in the experiment was going to be euthanized despite the class project.

"He brings a level of intensity I enjoy. He's passionate about his work"-David Boreanaz on Jm
Old 05-14-2005, 03:21 AM
Total Fan

"Ultimate educational experience"?

Old 05-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Star

That is just sick.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:35 AM
Obsessed Fan

Someone should suggest laying him alive and sedated on the table and taking out his organs. Bet he wouldn't think that was the "ultimate education experience".

People are disgusting.

~Kat
Old 05-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Supreme Fan

I've heard of having that done with frogs, but in like, college biology classes. Not some high school somewhere for kids that have to take the class. That's disgusting. I would have been the one wrestling the dog off the table and running out of school with it.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:17 AM
Master Fan

That. Is. ...I can't think of a word that isn't an obscenity.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:15 AM
Master Fan

Oh oh my gooooooooooooood

I have thre adorables dogs at home. I so want to kill the man. makes me want to throw up!

Each of these lives is the right one! Every path is the right path. Everything could have been everything else and it will have just as much meaning.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Extreme Fan

As disgusting as I find this, why is it any different from frogs? Because they're pets? The parents were given plenty of notice, so they could have protested to the school.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Master Fan

I honestly don't approve of the dissection of live anything. Not even frogs, and even though they are dead when we got to them in Biology, the method by which we learned how they were 'prepared' for us was rather sad. I think the best thing we dissected were fetal pigs which had never been born.

Honestly, people have been getting along for years and have become brain surgeons without watching the removal of a live dog's digestive organs, and the chances that any of this man's students are going to take that path now are probably very slim. If he's such a firm believer in the Ultimate Educational Experience, wouldn't he believe in the dissection of a live human instead of a dog? I mean, the entire reason we use frogs are because their organ systems are arranged similar to ours, so why not go for identical?

The principal is also an idiot for not siding with the parents. I'm not saying he's wrong they're right, but he is an idiot for not siding with them despite that.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Lauren
As disgusting as I find this, why is it any different from frogs?
I don't find it different at all. All dissections of live animals are repulsive to me. I don't see why is it necessary.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Master Fan

Ew. Couldn't they obtain a dead dog or at least something less gruesome? What happened to the good old days when students just dissected frogs and earthworms?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Master Fan

I certainly wouldn't have gone and would support my kids decision not to go. However I guess if the dog was going to be euthanized anyways it isn't evil just a bad decision IMO.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 05-18-2005, 03:09 AM
Addicted Fan

It makes no difference if it was going to be euthanized or not....the fact is, the experiment was carried out while the dog was still alive. If it was already dead, it's one thing...but taking out the digestive organs of an animal that is still breathing is in no way acceptable - there's just no need, especially at high-school level Biology.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Loyal Fan

That is disgusting!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Obsessed Fan

Disgusting.