Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Fall TV Shows   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

5th Grader says sex bracelets are used at her school

Story Found Here

St Petersburg - A fashion trend from the 80’s is back but this time it’s not about making a fashion statement but making sexual promises. Parents know them as “jelly” bracelets some kids call them “sex” bracelets.

10 News first reported this story on Friday and now a South St Petersburg 5th grader says the sex bracelets are worn at her school. Ashley Yates from Bear Creek Elementary says the bracelets took on a sexual meaning this school year. Ashley says there’s a color code for example purple is for kissing, a purple bracelet with sparkles is for French kissing, yellow is for hugs, blue for oral sex and black for sex. If a boy breaks a bracelet off a girl’s wrist she’s suppose to do what that bracelet color represents. Ashley says girls that don’t comply are sometimes harassed by boys.

Bear Creek Elementary principal says she was unaware of these bracelets and no teacher has reported a problem. But Principal Sandra O’Bryant has alerted teachers. Since the 10 News story aired, the Pinellas School District has notified all school principals. Hillsborough has also alerted its area directors about the bracelets.
Isabel Mascarenas, Tampa Bay's 10 News

How horrifying is this? I mean a fifth grader is what like between 10 and11 years old?

I first heard about it yesterday in the local news paper here, but they did not go into detail so I decided to search my local news website and man was I shocked when I found this. Has anyone else heard of this disturbing new problem? I mean is this problem something that is just local here or is it a widespread problem?

The worst thing in your life may just contain the seeds for the best things to begin to grow.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Supreme Fan

It's just local. Tons of people wear them at my school and it doesn't mean anything like that. Before anyone panics people should see if the kids are actually performing the supposed acts or if it's just something they can say. I mean it could just be a fad and it will probably be gone by the end of the year but it's the first time that I've ever heard the phrase sex bracelet used.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm sorry, I couldnt help but laugh when I saw this. I get that these kids are young and I hate the fact that people that are so young are now knowing about sex, the same way I hate that a 10 year old can swear etc.

But I use to have these when I was in Primary school (I was about 9 or 10 years old) and here in England, in my school we called them 'Shag bands' and if you broke someones then it meant you loved them or you had to kiss them or sleep with them (obviously at that age we were using different terminology). It was just a laugh.

I see that you've said that that these kids have "blue for oral sex and black for sex" but its just the way the world is nowadays. Some people seem to think that sex is the work of the devil or something, but its not. I'm not saying it's right for 10 year olds to go and have sex and the boys certainly shouldn't be harrassing the girls over the bracelets and their meanings, but again thats just the way things happen. Peer pressure is a big issue when your young and I don't think anyone will ever find a way of stopping it, it happens everywhere.

I do think the issue here should definitly be about the pressure from the boys. No one should be bullied into doing something they don't want to/shouldn't have to do, but I certainly don't think it should be about whether these children know about sex (I mean, come on, every film you watch nowadays has some kind of love/sex scene in it or something that implies sex).

I think people should be more worried about the harrassment these girls are getting and what it could lead to, rather than whether they know what oral sex is because nowadays there ain't nothing you can keep from a 10 year old.

Jen.

It started out with a kiss, how did it end up like this

It's all me, me, me
Old 01-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~* Blue Angel *~:
<STRONG>I'm sorry, I couldnt help but laugh when I saw this. I get that these kids are young and I hate the fact that people that are so young are now knowing about sex, the same way I hate that a 10 year old can swear etc.

But I use to have these when I was in Primary school (I was about 9 or 10 years old) and here in England, in my school we called them 'Shag bands' and if you broke someones then it meant you loved them or you had to kiss them or sleep with them (obviously at that age we were using different terminology). It was just a laugh.

I see that you've said that that these kids have "blue for oral sex and black for sex" but its just the way the world is nowadays. Some people seem to think that sex is the work of the devil or something, but its not. I'm not saying it's right for 10 year olds to go and have sex and the boys certainly shouldn't be harrassing the girls over the bracelets and their meanings, but again thats just the way things happen. Peer pressure is a big issue when your young and I don't think anyone will ever find a way of stopping it, it happens everywhere.

I do think the issue here should definitly be about the pressure from the boys. No one should be bullied into doing something they don't want to/shouldn't have to do, but I certainly don't think it should be about whether these children know about sex (I mean, come on, every film you watch nowadays has some kind of love/sex scene in it or something that implies sex).

I think people should be more worried about the harrassment these girls are getting and what it could lead to, rather than whether they know what oral sex is because nowadays there ain't nothing you can keep from a 10 year old.

Jen.</STRONG>
Heheh i remember that stage.
Its all innocent; sex is something that human beings are naturally curious about- even as toddlers. We're sorta trained to think that sex is something sordid and erotic but it really is the most natural thing in the world.
Fifty years ago the concept of teenager was just breaking through, now we are realising that your "pre-teen" years gear you up for what you about to go through- and really I think thats what these kids are doing.

www.makepovertyhistory.org
~Support humanity. Wear a band~
Old 01-10-2004, 12:33 AM
Extreme Fan

It's not a local problem, this was reported up in Times a few months back. I'm talking about kids from Singapore, Malaysia, India, HongKong, Japan...the entire Asian region. Apparently it's a pretty cool and pretty presurrizing fad, [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Well, it's not been too long since I got out of school and I never saw that around!

But I agree. Even though it's not healthy for a 11yr old to discuss oral sex or even perform any such act, the main concern should be about the kids who're being coerced into it.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ros2nz:
<STRONG>Even though it's not healthy for a 11yr old to discuss oral sex or even perform any such act, the main concern should be about the kids who're being coerced into it.</STRONG>
Maybe you just didn't express yourself properly, but you appear to be saying that it is less healthy for an "11yr old" to talk about oral sex than to actually have oral sex! - if you mean that, then that's some serious stuff you've got going on there! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Personally, I want my children to discuss sex - oral sex, penetrative sex, heavy petting, watever - openly and honestly. In that way, they will be empowered by knowledge, and will hopefully avoid having anybody pressure them into sex, or be molested by a paedophile, etc., if there is ever an opportunity for that to happen. As much as I would like to be able to, one can't watch over one's children 100% of the time, and so children need to know what sex is, what is appropriate and healthy, and what is dangerous and hurtful. In my mind, ignorance is not bliss - it is at best leaving your children open to potential danger, and at worst reckless abuse. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

On the suject of these bracelets, I think some education about sex and sexuality needs to take place in these schools to demystify sex in the minds of these kids and to protect them from harrassment (and from becoming harrassers, too).

Just what is a "Jelly bracelet", anyway? In my school years we had a variety of bracelets, so I'm not sure if we had them or not... Do any of these news stories have pictures of these bracelets?

Also, I think even in the 50s they has special brooches or bracelets that boys would give girls to show they were "going steady" - maybe this is a sexier, more girl-empowered (or at least instigated by girls), more cynical version of that? Were they a good 5 or six years older, it wouldn't really disturb me so much... With them being 10 or 11 years old (someone mentioned above), I do find this quite disturbing, however. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Saf :siver_hand: [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited Fehr Princess ]
Old 01-10-2004, 02:52 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Maybe you just didn't express yourself properly, but you appear to be saying that it is less healthy for an "11yr old" to talk about oral sex than to actually have oral sex! - if you mean that, then that's some serious stuff you've got going on there!
Or maybe you just didn't get me. I meant that both the concept as well as the act or oral sex is not meant for a "11yr old". And that any kid who is being forced into it, through peer pressure or any other way, deserves priority. I thought I made that pretty clear.

[ 01-11-2004: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 01-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Passionate Fan

That is ridiculous.

First of all the thought of a 10 or 11 year old boy getting head is ridiculous. You're not even fully "developed" by then if you know what I mean.

And the thought of a 10 or 11 yera old girl giving head is equally as ridiculous. My sister is 12 and I cannot, in a million years, imagine her sucking some boys c*ck.

*****ing disgusting.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:38 AM
Banned

I maintain that education is power - and helps to avoid the kind of situation in which minors are manipulated into having sex. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Saf [img]smilies/silver_hand.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited Fehr Princess ]

Old 01-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Extreme Fan

Saf A jelly bracelet looks a bit like this:

Or this:

(Both from a search at google).

It was weird because the site that the second picture of bracelets came from had this to say about their meanings:

There is a new trendy game played on Campus by College Students called "Snap." College Kids are using these jelly sex bracelets for the following:

Yellow: hugging

Purple: kissing

Red: lap dance

Blue: oral sex

Black: the full Monty

We are pleased to announce that because of our Puritanical Society Teenagers do NOT play any of these games with, teens seem to be smarter than college students, for them Jelly & rubber bracelets are just fun to wear.
School girls wear the rubber bands bracelets because they are cool, pretty and very water proof in the pool or showering. Teens think they are the new friendship bracelets so they give them away to their buddies out of friendship.
We are so glad that parents and teachers talk to younger girls & boys about taboo subjects and for once in the whole history of man-kind, tweens & teenagers listen to their rules. It is amazing that we have a rare younger generation that rejects; sex, drugs, loud music, cigarettes etc….

We ask our resellers NEVER to sell jelly bracelets or rubber bands to people under the age of 21, but our distributors tell us that teenagers think it is "Really Dumb" that Innocent Fun colored Bracelets are banned.
Fashion conscious trendy teens only want to wear them because they are fun & colorful, not because they have some deep underlying meaning.

Make of it what you will.

Jen [img]smilies/angel.gif[/img]

It's all me, me, me
Old 01-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Extreme Fan

Take a look at yourselves. This is a thread about 'Jelly bracelets'. No one should be here to pick fights with anyone, just state their opinion and discuss the thread title. Politely. Please don't get so offensive over remarks others have made. Comment on them by all means, but don't go OTT. We only have one chance for life on this earth, don't waste it spending your time fighting over things so petty.

It's all me, me, me
Old 01-10-2004, 04:09 PM
Banned

If you say "Even though it's not healthy for 'A', or even 'B'", then you are stating that "B" is the far lesser evil of the two options. Therefore you were saying that it is far worse for children to be able to talk about sex than to be having sex, a statement I find utterly abhorrent because, as I stated in my original post, education is power, education is empowerment.

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Saf [img]smilies/silver_hand.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited Raonaild ]
Old 01-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Banned

Thanks, Jen for posting pics of the Jelly bracelets. I thought about googling them, but I didn't want just any jelly bracelets, I wanted the ones they were talking about.

PS - You're right, life is too short. I just got annoyed at one too many b'tchy comments and reacted... In any case, I've rephrased my comment so that anybody could understand it, so hopefully that is the end of the matter. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2004, 05:27 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Fehr Princess:
<STRONG>Thanks, Jen for posting pics of the Jelly bracelets. I thought about googling them, but I didn't want just any jelly bracelets, I wanted the ones they were talking about.

PS - You're right, life is too short. I just got annoyed at one too many b'tchy comments and reacted... In any case, I've rephrased my comment so that anybody could understand it, so hopefully that is the end of the matter. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/star.gif[/img] Saf [img]smilies/silver_hand.gif[/img] [img]smilies/star.gif[/img]</STRONG>
No problem Saf [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And I get what you mean now that you've explained the whole 'grammar' thing, it was just taken the wrong way, which is understandable. You can't always get acorss what you feel by just typing it, it's hard for others to get exactly what you mean.
God, Misunderstandings, who'd have 'em aye? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

It's all me, me, me
Old 01-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AmerEagle11:
That is ridiculous.

First of all the thought of a 10 or 11 year old boy getting head is ridiculous. You're not even fully "developed" by then if you know what I mean.
Ditto that. Is a boy of that age even capable of getting a hard-on? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]