Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2023, 02:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

Last edited by sum1; 10-23-2023 at 07:34 AM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 04:07 PM
Part-Time Fan

I didn't hear anything off about JMs performance. It felt like Spike to me.
(at least moreso than the latter half of ats s5)
Winnifredpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 05:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I live with a person in his early 60s. The mental decline is obvious to me. Same with James. He's not as sharp anymore. I think he's done a good job, considering.
Old 10-22-2023, 01:26 AM
Fan Forum Star

Last edited by sum1; 10-23-2023 at 07:35 AM
Old 10-22-2023, 09:28 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
One of the problems I had with Spike was that JM ridiculously overdid the accent, whereas on the Buffyverse shows he rendered it with grace. And I agree, the writing for Spike was lacking. In ATS season 5 too.
I never said James was old. I said he was older. Most people's voices will change over the course of twenty years.

I can't speak to the accuracy of his accent (I have an American accent, and unless an actor's accent is egregiously bad, like DB's Irish accent, I'm fine with them). It did sound a bit different to me, but, again, I grew used to it quickly. What mattered to me more was the level of emotion he was able to convey in his voice. I also thought his experience with audio-books shone through. He seemed very comfortable in this format.

TBH, the only people I trust to write Spike and nail his characterization are Spuffy fanfic writers. I knew going into this that the version of Spike we got was not going to align with my personal view and understanding of the character. The most I hoped for was that he'd at least be a version of Spike I could like, and for the most part, he was. As I mentioned, the last Real Spike to me in any medium was Chosen Spike. ATS Spike doesn't feel right, either. Though to no fault of JM's. His performance was always great, it's just that the ATS writers never truly got his character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
I live with a person in his early 60s. The mental decline is obvious to me. Same with James. He's not as sharp anymore. I think he's done a good job, considering.
Whoa. I don't think we should be armchair diagnosing or speculating on James', or anyone else's health, mental or otherwise. It's wildly invasive, problematic, and damaging imo. I have family members in their 60s who are still sharp as tacks. My almost 90 year old grandfather still has his wits about him. You can't assume mental decline just because someone is of a certain age--that's stereotyping and ageist.

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com

Last edited by straws; 10-22-2023 at 09:35 AM
straws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 10:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I’m well aware that different people age differently and some are almost 100% at a very old age. I’m not generalizing anything. Only sometimes does this symptom occur and as a trained professional in the area, I recognize the signs (it is largely psychologists who devise and administer these tests). Again, of course I can’t diagnose anything anything under these conditions, I’m not intending to, that would be in fact very unprofessional. it’s just my feeling.
All I’m saying is that I won’t let it stop me enjoying the show and James’ performance.

Last edited by wickedrum; 10-22-2023 at 10:34 AM
wickedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 05:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

I very much enjoyed ep 6
Old 10-22-2023, 07:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope we're all still friends on this thread. This is an emotive subject that can bring on strong feelings, but we shouldn't get pissed off with each other and recent events on this board have shown how we Spuffies and C/A shippers need to stick together. Wishing you all the best.

Last edited by sum1; 10-23-2023 at 03:22 PM
Old 10-23-2023, 02:00 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I do have a problem with fight scenes. I have no idea what is happening! Some more narration would have been useful cause I’m just guessing here.

I don’t think anyone is upset with the other here? I’m not. Why did you delete all your posts?

Last edited by wickedrum; 10-23-2023 at 02:06 PM
wickedrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

I have too much good will towards the people involved in that audio drama, particularly JM, to leave up so much negativity about their work.

I've finished episode 7. At least I'm getting used to it.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:23 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

Well yes. If I’m looking at it with rose tinted glasses, that would be the reason.
Old 10-23-2023, 07:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

I don't have any negative will towards y'all <3
Old 10-24-2023, 09:17 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I’m well aware that different people age differently and some are almost 100% at a very old age. I’m not generalizing anything. Only sometimes does this symptom occur and as a trained professional in the area, I recognize the signs (it is largely psychologists who devise and administer these tests). Again, of course I can’t diagnose anything anything under these conditions, I’m not intending to, that would be in fact very unprofessional. it’s just my feeling.
I just don't think we as fans should be speculating about anyone's health, especially on a public forum. That feels like crossing a barrier that shouldn't be crossed. It's not any of our business.

I've seen too many randoms online (and this is not directed at you, wickedrum) throwing around armchair diagnoses and it's super damaging for numerous reasons.

Quote:
What is armchair psychology?

When an unqualified person speculates on someone’s mental health symptoms, diagnosis, or treatment, they’re participating in armchair psychology. Even if someone is a mental health professional, they shouldn’t be offering a medical opinion unless that person is their patient. You’re only going off of the things you can observe as a casual bystander — which means you don’t have the full picture.
The problem with armchair psychology, and what to do instead.

It's something that I, as someone who has my own mental health struggles to face, feel very passionate about.

Anyway, I am happy to let the topic go and move on. (We're really off topic, anyway.) I think most of us on this board can have civilized conversations even while disagreeing--unlike some users on this board who shall remain banned, oops, I mean nameless.

Quote:
I hope we're all still friends on this thread. This is an emotive subject that can bring on strong feelings, but we shouldn't get pissed off with each other and recent events on this board have shown how we Spuffies and C/A shippers need to stick together. Wishing you all the best.

Quote:
I don't have any negative will towards y'all <3
Likewise.

Quote:
I've finished episode 7. At least I'm getting used to it.
I've heard other users say that his accent improves and that he settles into it more as the episodes go on.

Last edited by straws; 10-24-2023 at 09:24 AM
Old 10-24-2023, 11:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

To me, speculating about someone's health only means that we care about them, worry about them. On the flip side of that, there also has been a lot of public speculation recently about politicians' health matters, which I find very necessary.
But ok, in the interest of peace, I will just keep quiet on the matter from now on
Old 10-24-2023, 11:42 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
To me, speculating about someone's health only means that we care about them, worry about them.
There's a difference between worrying about a real life friend's health vs making assumptions about a complete stranger's mental health.

Quote:
On the flip side of that, there also has been a lot of public speculation recently about politicians' health matters, which I find very necessary.
Being concerned about a politician or president's ability to run an entire country is not the same thing as speculating--and often spreading misinformation--about a celebrity's mental health. Surely you must see that.

Quote:
But ok, in the interest of peace, I will just keep quiet on the matter from now on
Alright, I will try to do the same from here out.

Quote:
I do have a problem with fight scenes. I have no idea what is happening! Some more narration would have been useful cause I’m just guessing here.
IA. While I mostly found the fight scenes entertaining, there were times I struggled to follow what was going on.

I also felt that some of the Tara and Mr. Pickles and Tara/Dru scenes were very repetitive. There were quite a few scenes where they talked about their plans and we only learned a sliver of new information.

Reply   Post New Thread