Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2020, 07:31 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by straws (View Post)
I think we're actually more popular than some fans like to think. Sure, things are a bit quiet here now, but that's because ATS has been off the air for 20 years. When I see ATS posts on other media sites, there's always a pleasantly surprising amount of CA support.
Support, not shippers.
While true I've seen appreciation for them as friends, few seem to like the idea of them evolving into a couple.

Quote:
Plus, we have a very quality library of fic. And I feel like the truly underrated and overlooked ships don't get that.
True.
Although Lucifer is the only other fandom I've explored the fanfiction community of, even the other ships in the Buffyverse from what I've come across while searching for CA don't seem to have the exclusive libraries CA does.

Quote:
There was no grieving process because he never stopped grieving. He just...changed. Lost something that made him Angel. And never really got it back.

When Buffy died, he literally said the words "I am okay." He was bothered by how okay he was and that he wasn't more destroyed by it.

Quote:
Cordy: "Then - what's the problem?"
Angel: "That I'm okay. That losing Buffy didn't kill me. That I could deal with it.
He was able to grieve and continue on in a healthy manner.

When he lost Cordy, he sold his soul to the devil. I mean...

Obviously he cared about Buffy, but the way some fans talk as if they are the 'be all, end all' to each other is just not at all supported by his reaction to her death.
You don't have to convince me.

Quote:
Quote:
Lastly, In an issue of Angel & Faith he admits trying to resurrect Cordy sometime in between ‘You’re Welcome’ and ‘Why We Fight’ but Wolfram & Hart’s resources were too unreliable and volitle.
I forgot about that. Damn. For him to think about resurrecting her...That's some Elizabeth and James ****. Which, ironically, is what I'd expect out of BA.
It was a vague reference but telling nonetheless.

FAITH: Angel, when Cordelia died, you had everyone at Jacoby, Meyers and Satan working for you. In a world that still had magic. If it coulda been done, you'da done it then.

ANGEL: It's not that cut and dried. There have always been resurrection spells. Wolfram and Hart had dozens. They just aren't used much, because they're hard...dangerous...and they only work on the body. The soul's a whole different thing. You end up with a zombie...or worse.

I don't see how he could have known so extensively what W&H's resurrection resources were if he didn't look into it.

Quote:
I hate TCTONC--I find it such a boring filler episode--but, yep, isn't there also a bunch of heavy symbolism about Angel missing his 'hero's heart'?

He just lost Cordy and Connor...feles like he's missing his heart...Hmmm. Wonder what the connection could be there.
I hate season 5 period with the obvious exception of YW but agree that TCTONC was filler material though it had the potential to be a more direct reference to his emptiness since losing Cordy.
I don't remember the whole 'hero's heart' thing but great catch. That's beautiful symbolism.

Quote:
Also Angel using the word 'disconnected' when Cordy was his connection (to the Powers, to a livelier world)...
Yup, that's what I was getting at and how that reference goes all the way back to the pilot.

"You’ve made a good choice. She’ll provide a connection to the world. She’s got a very – humanizing influence."

That line might very well have been the biggest foreshadow of the entire series.

Quote:
True. Ignoring how terrible the whole Jasmine arc is for a second, Cordy becoming part demon also put them on a more even dating field (even though I love my Cordy human, too).
That didn't even occur to me. Good point.

I'm on the fence as well, I feel that Cordy being a self-chosen pure human champion who fought with no special abilities is a large part of what made her such a strong character and set her apart from Buffy but at the same time, becoming part demon was her choice as well. The visions, the innocents in need, Angel, she chose all that over her long dreamed of stardom. That was the most astounding display of character growth I've ever seen, only matched so far by Lucifer's choice to return to Hell to protect his loved ones and earth from more demon invasions.

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure I was being clear because it is a very serious subject matter. Some people (not you) are only too happy to jump to the worst (and wrong) conclusions. I've been accused of being a rape apologist before on Tumblr simply for posting SB content, for example. Which is so far from the truth I don't even have words.
I understand. Although I've never had issues with the subject of rape, I've got a colorful rap sheet of being taken as rude or disrespectful due to poor wording choice even when I spent a **** lot of time on it or too much enthusiasm.
As a result, I've built the habit of clarifying myself as well when I am concerned.

Quote:
That's kind of what I was saying before (though I didn't explain it as well).

The Angel of ATS would never date a 16-year-old girl. His dating a teenager was a direct consequence of him originating in Buffy's show, as her love interest.

In a world where BTVS didn't exist, and ATS was its own origin, BA never would've happened. Or if it did, Buffy would've been older. Something more appropriate to his age (when turned, not his vamp age).
Amen.
Here's something else to consider.

I believe Angel says at some point that he fell in love with Buffy when he watched her answer her calling. What if he hadn't?
What if he'd never met Whistler, never been specifically been pointed towards Buffy, what if he'd been drawn to Sunnydale by the Hellmouth or been pointed towards it rather than Buffy?

Do you think that would have changed anything?

Side note: We need to pick out our next episode. Any thoughts?

they win"
- Stephen King

Last edited by Ashes Fall; 06-28-2020 at 09:59 PM
Old 07-01-2020, 06:15 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
While true I've seen appreciation for them as friends, few seem to like the idea of them evolving into a couple.
I've seen a decent amount of romantic CA support on Tumblr. Again, the show has been off the air for a long time, so their tag isn't exactly hopping, but a lot of their shippers still love them, they just have shiny new interests.

Quote:
FAITH: Angel, when Cordelia died, you had everyone at Jacoby, Meyers and Satan working for you. In a world that still had magic. If it coulda been done, you'da done it then.
His silence there is very telling. He doesn't deny it when Faith says he would've resurrected Cordy if he could.

Quote:
I hate season 5 period with the obvious exception of YW but agree that TCTONC was filler material though it had the potential to be a more direct reference to his emptiness since losing Cordy.
I don't remember the whole 'hero's heart' thing but great catch. That's beautiful symbolism.
My memory is honestly so rusty but the demon ( or whatever it was) was eating the heart of heroes.

Angel was upset the demon didn't want to dine on his:

ANGEL
The reason why I know this Aztec demon is not eating the hearts of heroes is... he didn't take mine. Am I honestly supposed to believe that it had no problem sticking a sword in my stomach but then decided, "Oh, wait, his heart's not heroic enough"? Ha! I don't think so.

More proof that Angel's heart just wasn't right after losing Cor and Connor.

Quote:
becoming part demon was her choice as well. The visions, the innocents in need, Angel, she chose all that over her long dreamed of stardom. That was the most astounding display of character growth I've ever seen, only matched so far by Lucifer's choice to return to Hell to protect his loved ones and earth from more demon invasions.
I totally agree. That's why I love Cordy's "Demonize me already" moment even though I prefer her human. I'm sure I could've loved Cordy being a demon as well, had it actually been written. Instead, we got that awful retconny Jasmine arc. (And like we've discussed, I don't she was ever made into a demon at all - but part higher power).

Quote:
I believe Angel says at some point that he fell in love with Buffy when he watched her answer her calling. What if he hadn't?
What if he'd never met Whistler, never been specifically been pointed towards Buffy, what if he'd been drawn to Sunnydale by the Hellmouth or been pointed towards it rather than Buffy?

Do you think that would have changed anything?
Interesting questions. I'd like to read a fic that explores that.

I do think Buffy had a huge formative impact on Angel. She helped inspire him to fight the good fight in the first place. But Cordy helped inspire him to live instead of just exist.

When he was with Buffy, all he had was Buffy. He didn't have his own friends, his own life. He was on stand by, alone in the broken down mansion, until she needed help to slay something or decided to visit him.

Quote:
Side note: We need to pick out our next episode. Any thoughts?
Hmm. What other episodes were on our possible watch list?
Halloween, City Of...RWAV
Your Welcome but that's a heavy one (I always get teary).

Any requests?

Icon: cangelgifs.tumblr.com
Old 07-01-2020, 10:09 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I've seen a decent amount of romantic CA support on Tumblr. Again, the show has been off the air for a long time, so their tag isn't exactly hopping, but a lot of their shippers still love them, they just have shiny new interests.
Makes sense.

Quote:
His silence there is very telling. He doesn't deny it when Faith says he would've resurrected Cordy if he could.
That's a good point as well.

Quote:
My memory is honestly so rusty but the demon ( or whatever it was) was eating the heart of heroes.

Angel was upset the demon didn't want to dine on his:

ANGEL
The reason why I know this Aztec demon is not eating the hearts of heroes is... he didn't take mine. Am I honestly supposed to believe that it had no problem sticking a sword in my stomach but then decided, "Oh, wait, his heart's not heroic enough"? Ha! I don't think so.

More proof that Angel's heart just wasn't right after losing Cor and Connor.
Oh wow. That's loaded with quite profound subtext.

That he refuses to accept that his heart isn't heroic and even considers himself a hero at all under his circumstances at this point has to be an ode to Cordy, a desire to be the man she believed he was.

"That's not betraying her, that's honoring her."

Quote:
I totally agree. That's why I love Cordy's "Demonize me already" moment even though I prefer her human. I'm sure I could've loved Cordy being a demon as well, had it actually been written. Instead, we got that awful retconny Jasmine arc.
She didn't even have to think about it, just one glance at insane!Angel settled it for her.

I refuse to associate it with Jasmine though I do acknowledge that it was the official beginning of that dumpster fire.
As far as I'm concerned Jasmine started with Groo in WITW. So there!

Quote:
(And like we've discussed, I don't she was ever made into a demon at all - but part higher power).

I stand by that 100%.

Her powers of light and the fact that she doesn't experience vision headaches anymore while Doyle who was half-demon did scream 'higher power'.

Quote:

I do think Buffy had a huge formative impact on Angel. She helped inspire him to fight the good fight in the first place. But Cordy helped inspire him to live instead of just exist.

When he was with Buffy, all he had was Buffy. He didn't have his own friends, his own life. He was on stand by, alone in the broken down mansion, until she needed help to slay something or decided to visit him.
Well, put and Sunnydale fics make that distinction excellently.
I would say that Buffy also taught him what it means to love which is what enabled him to love Cordy.

Quote:
Hmm. What other episodes were on our possible watch list?
Halloween, City Of...RWAV
Your Welcome but that's a heavy one (I always get teary).

Any requests?
Those are good.
There's also TVT.

I'm feeling either City Of or RWAV.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 07-03-2020, 07:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
I refuse to associate it with Jasmine though I do acknowledge that it was the official beginning of that dumpster fire.
As far as I'm concerned Jasmine started with Groo in WITW. So there!
Fully agree.

Quote:
I'm feeling either City Of or RWAV.
Always happy to watch RWAV. It's not only chalk full of CA goodness, but one of my fave Cordy episodes of the series. I've seen it 100 times and am not tired of it.

TVT is a good future option too.

I'm re-reading My Senior Year by Dock. It's practically a summer staple for me.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:51 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

Always happy to watch RWAV. It's not only chalk full of CA goodness, but one of my fave Cordy episodes of the series. I've seen it 100 times and am not tired of it.

TVT is a good future option too.
RWAV tomorrow it is then.

Quote:
I'm re-reading My Senior Year by Dock. It's practically a summer staple for me.
'My Senior Year' is alright but I didn't like how long it took CA to break up with Buffy and Xander especially with there having been no good reason for the prolonging.
I'm not a big fan of CA as an affair because it instills a sense of wrongness in their relationship.

The last one I re-read was 'When Irish Eyes Are Smiling' by Anneb.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 07-04-2020, 02:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Some pretty

https://livingfivebyfive.tumblr.com/...e-light-of-day
Old 07-05-2020, 06:56 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
'My Senior Year' is alright but I didn't like how long it took CA to break up with Buffy and Xander especially with there having been no good reason for the prolonging.
I'm not a big fan of CA as an affair because it instills a sense of wrongness in their relationship.
I love the drama of it all and how much Jealous-Angel we get haha. It also has two of my all time favorite tropes: CA sleeping together/cuddles and tons of domestic CA. Plus it's set in the Sunnydale years. Just a win-win for me haha. I also love Dock's dialogue and she's good at writing hot scenes haha.

Quote:
Some pretty
Thank you.

Quote:
Oz: "Well, Angel, you hung with him the most. Is there something that he's afraid of?" Buffy's looking down uncomfortably.
Angel: "Well, he's not crazy about germs."
Cordelia: "Of course, that's it. We attack him with germs!"
Buffy: "Great! We'll corner him and then you can sneeze on him."
Cordelia gesturing excitedly: "No! No, we'll get a box with the Ebola virus and… and…. Or it doesn't even have to be real, we can just get a box that says Ebola on it and… uhm (snaps her fingers) chase him… (Oz frowns and no one else says anything) with the box…"
This underrated CA moment. Cordy defending Angel's germ intel and running with it lol. Everyone else thought it was a useless fact, but not her.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:43 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

No problem, it's a really nice shot to use
Old 07-06-2020, 09:26 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I love the drama of it all and how much Jealous-Angel we get haha. It also has two of my all time favorite tropes: CA sleeping together/cuddles and tons of domestic CA. Plus it's set in the Sunnydale years. Just a win-win for me haha. I also love Dock's dialogue and she's good at writing hot scenes haha.
That's true, all strong points of the fic.
Cordy being there for him when he's having a nightmare about Hell and the smut are things I find particularly favorable.

I might give it a re-read.

Quote:
Quote:
Oz: "Well, Angel, you hung with him the most. Is there something that he's afraid of?" Buffy's looking down uncomfortably.
Angel: "Well, he's not crazy about germs."
Cordelia: "Of course, that's it. We attack him with germs!"
Buffy: "Great! We'll corner him and then you can sneeze on him."
Cordelia gesturing excitedly: "No! No, we'll get a box with the Ebola virus and… and…. Or it doesn't even have to be real, we can just get a box that says Ebola on it and… uhm (snaps her fingers) chase him… (Oz frowns and no one else says anything) with the box…"
This underrated CA moment. Cordy defending Angel's germ intel and running with it lol. Everyone else thought it was a useless fact, but not her.
Wow. I do not remember that but there is some serious CA subtext there as well as a glimpse of her true intelligence despite the Scoobies' utter dismissal of her idea. The 'fake out' variation parallels with her fake holy water routine in 'Eternity' which had the Scourge of Europe cornered for at least a minute and a half to two solid minutes!

If the freaking Scourge of Europe could be deceived by a bottle of spring water, a box labeled 'Ebola' has merit against a germaphobe. Just ask Howie Mendel. He's so severely germaphobic that he for the most part refrains from touching people.

Something I do remember is that Charisma once joked on Twitter about giving out candy on Halloween as Cordelia holding a box with 'Ebola' written on it. Perhaps she actually did it, it was at least a couple of years ago so I can't remember the exact wording. I hope she did, it's an epic idea. Or at least it was at the time.

they win"
- Stephen King

Last edited by Ashes Fall; 07-08-2020 at 10:55 AM
Old 07-08-2020, 07:54 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Wow. I do not remember that but there is some serious CA subtext there as well as a glimpse of her true intelligence despite the Scoobies' utter dismissal of her idea. The 'fake out' variation parallels with her fake holy water routine in 'Eternity' which had the Scourge of Europe cornered for at least a minute and a half to two solid minutes!
Oooh, nice connection there.

And, yeah, it's such a small moment but it feels very ATS S1 CA, which I love.

Quote:
Something I do remember is that Charisma once joked on Twitter about giving out candy on Halloween as Cordelia holding a box with 'Ebola' written on it. Perhaps she actually did it, it was at least a couple of years ago so I can't remember the exact wording. I hope she did, it's an epic idea. Or at least it was at the time.
Haha. That's hilarious. Wonder if she did it as well.

I'm currently re-reading Without You by Helen.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:39 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

I'm currently re-reading Without You by Helen.
Which one is that? I don't recognize that title though I know Helen's work.
I'm now re-reading 'The Fall' by Rachelle, a very well done C/Aus. I forgot Cordy was so Faith level badass in this fic!

So you wanna watch 'City Of' next? We've had that one on the table for some time.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 07-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

https://ladysummers.tumblr.com/post/46670149099

Old 07-12-2020, 12:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

That was a great training scene.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Extreme Fan

"Don't stiffen up."
"Yeah, you either."

I love how she's so unapologetically blunt and aware of her power over men.

they win"
- Stephen King
Old 07-12-2020, 02:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

^Same.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread