Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Master Fan

Contains very vague spoilers in the last paragraph, so be ware of the last paragraph.
--
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...02/23/12.30.tv

Quote:
Angel Fate Seems Grim

David Fury, executive producer of The WB's canceled vampire series Angel, told SCI FI Wire that he was doubtful the show will migrate to UPN next year, though he confirmed that talks are underway. "There were and are conversations going on with UPN," Fury said in an interview at the Wolfram & Hart Annual Revue fan charity ball on Feb. 21.

Fury added, "But in all likelihood they don't have the financial wherewithal to continue the series. It's less expensive than Buffy was for them, but trying to bring a show that's ... going to be going into its sixth season, it's not really financially responsible for them to pick up a show that doesn't really have much of a future beyond one more season." UPN picked up two more seasons of Angel's predecessor series, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, after The WB canceled it.

Fury added that he wasn't optimistic about future Angel movies of the week, which The WB has held out as a possible continuing venue for the show's mythology. "I think there's some time [that] would have to pass before we'd seriously start considering it," Fury said. Angel co-creator Joss Whedon will soon be heavily involved in a proposed feature film based on his canceled SF western series Firefly, Fury added. "Joss' response to that offer was, 'Who's going to make [an Angel movie] for you?' Because he's going to be off doing a motion picture, Firefly, and he'll be consumed with that for some time. And presumably everybody else on the show will have moved on to other projects, although we'd love to continue to work together, and we will try to, I'm sure, in our various capacities. But as far as the movies go, I don't expect you'll hear anything announced about that for another year. And by that time, again, everybody will have moved on, actors and writers. And it just may be a hard thing to actually realize."

As for Angel's series-ending story arc, Fury said, he doubted that Buffy star Sarah Michelle Gellar will be making a guest appearance. "Well, that's entirely up to Sarah, and frankly, I think she's out of the country [in Japan] doing a movie [The Grudge], ... so I'm very doubtful that she's going to be able to come back. And the problem with her coming back anyway is that it sort of invites closure for Spike and/or Angel, which I'm not sure we ever want to do. I think it's better never to quite know. ... Whatever it is, it's not going to be satisfying to somebody. So I think I prefer the idea that both men are still holding out hope and maybe it's something for an Angel movie someday, or a Buffy movie." Angel airs Wednesdays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
This is what I feared all along. And I knew that a tv movie was probably unrealistic. Especially since once the show ends everyone will either want to or have to move on. They will be busy next year. Or I hope they are all busy working on new things instead of out of work.

Also, I kind of want the ending to be vague too. We then get to decide on our own who ended up with Buffy, if any of them does.

Again, if you are scrolling up from the bottom beware of very vague spoilers in the last paragraph of the article.

[ 02-23-2004: Message edited ~*Magical*~ ]
Old 02-23-2004, 03:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

It's says doubtful, so I'm still hanging on to the very slim chance of hope
Old 02-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by wes&fred:
<STRONG>It's says doubtful, so I'm still hanging on to the very slim chance of hope</STRONG>
good point. the article kind of discouraged me, but you're right...it didn't say it was impossible. i'll keep my efforts up as well as my hopes.

"For your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath. You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste death?"
Old 02-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

I still think that there is some possibility [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I hope that either UPN picks it up or that the Wb changes there minds.

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Old 02-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Addicted Fan

Oh god, in a way i hope it doesnt get picked up by UPN, because they will kill it, they have no idea how to market a show like Angel. God i hate the WB, they always cancel my fave shows! coughRoswellcough
Old 02-24-2004, 01:32 AM
Obsessed Fan

At this point, I'd rather have a great ending.

I don't care for the "vague" ending idea if the chances are iffy that they're going to do movies or specials. After so many years of the Buffy universe, I'd rather have some closure myself.

[ 02-24-2004: Message edited TheCheshireKitten ]

~Kat
Old 02-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Passionate Fan

Ugh, they bette not have Angel ending all vague. I want all the loose ends tied up or it'll drive me crazy!
Old 02-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote from wes&fred:

&lt;It's says doubtful, so I'm still hanging on to the very slim chance of hope&gt;

Your post reminds me of a line from Dumb and Dumber.."So, do I have a chance with you"? Her reply is, "one in a million" and he smiles and says, "soooo..your saying there IS a chance".

I feel the same way, though. We are the everlasting optimists of the world.

Quote from TheCheshireKitten:

&lt;After so many years of the Buffy universe, I'd rather have some closure myself.&gt;

I agree 100%. I was ok with BtVS ending without total closure on B/A/S because I knew it was not the end of the story. We had AtS and Spike going over to it. With the Real ending looming I don't see why they don't give us a true ending. At this point, what have they got to loose?

If they ever got around to doing more with the Buffverse I doubt they could ever get the original casts all together and so do they, according to the interview. A movie would have to be about a different Slayer and her group with maybe a guest apperence from a few of the old cast. Thats what they did with Star Trek and other storylines.
Anna
Old 02-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

This woman went to the W&H Annual Review party and posted the details from her conversation with David Fury. She has photos too. Its a bit spoilery, so take care.

Annual Review
Old 02-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Addicted Fan

There are three petition on Petitions On Line. At least three is all I've found so far. Two to the WB to keep the show, and one to UPN to pick it up.

To UPN: http://www.petitiononline.com/upn4ats/petition.html

To WB: http://www.petitiononline.com/ai5d0162/petition.html http://www.petitiononline.com/angel314/petition.html

So, go crazy.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:20 PM
Addicted Fan

thansk so much for that news. im so gadl were getting a lot of media coverage and man the Wb should really realize wat crap this is that they r pulling

Bhery
Old 02-24-2004, 09:40 PM
Master Fan

From buffy.nu

Angel axed to make way for repeats
Angel axed to make way for repeats

WB President, Jordan Levin has found himself constantly defending his decision since announcing that the network giant was axing Angel from its schedule. Under a huge amount of pressure from fans and the media, Levin said, “We have a lot of veteran shows that are aging, and we’re going to have to make room for new programs."

One of these new programs includes Dark Shadows, a gothic soap opera about a vampire that first aired in 1966 but was axed five years later due to poor ratings. The WB has high hopes for the series and has recruited the talent of John Wells, better known for his work on dramas such as ER and The West Wing. But the audience it is aimed at are the fans of other vampire shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel who have been made to feel alienated following the networks decision. One WB viewer said, “Well the WB just lost me in watching their new show. I would have watched it because I love vampire shows and maybe I would have liked this one, but dropping Angel for this? They will never see me on that station again unless it is for Angel.”

Levin continued to go further into explaining why the show about the soulful vampire was not renewed for a sixth season. He said, "We need to create timeslots where we can repeat shows."

So it would seem that a new series of Angel has been turned away in order to create time slots for repeats. A viewer of the WB said, “I don’t want to see constant repeats on my television! I want something new not something old and tired. The new season of Angel has been a breath of fresh air. I was looking forward to seeing the sixth season.”

The decision from the large network may not have been the right one especially if the ratings are anything to go by. The WB are currently showing repeats of Smallville on Sundays where it fails to top 3 million viewers with audiences preferring to tune in to never-seen-before shows on other stations. But fans of the show about Clark Kent’s early years are already showing their disapproval for the new series which is also currently being aired. They have described the episodes as, “poorly written.” One viewer said, “I hope the future is a brighter one for Smallville, and includes more clever scripts than the past two weeks have demonstrated.”

So while the network fails to hold the interest of long-time fans of its shows, the main aim from the WB appears to be to draw in new audiences in an attempt to climb the ladder in the ratings battle. As Levin continued to talk of the reasons why Angel was axed, he said, “The show had a loyal core following, but it didn’t have a tremendous amount of new audience upside." One has to question the decision from Levin to buy the rights to Dark Shadows which is from the same genre as Angel - opting to take "new" over "already established."

The head of the WB remains adamant that the decision was the right one and maintains that, “This isn’t about the WB bailing out on one of its top shows."

It is not just the fans who are baffled by the decision from the WB to cancel what the President of the network admits is “one of its top shows,” but people in the entertainment industry are also scratching their heads.

Jeph Loeb, who co-developed Buffy: The Animated Series with Angel creator, Joss Whedon said, “All the people who were involved in the show from the very beginning really gave it their all. I don’t think there are any lazy episodes. They put a lot of heart and effort into a very difficult premise and came up with a show that I’m a very big fan of. I’ll miss the characters and I’ll miss the writing, because I think it was very smart."

Former Buffy the Vampire Slayer writer, Drew Greenberg added, “Why was that decision made? The show is doing so well, and they were having such a good year. It’s a decision I don’t understand."

Even Smallville creator, Al Gough fails to make sense of the saga. “I don’t know why they cancelled Angel,” said Gough who may well be worried about the future of his own show on the WB network. “With Smallville on at 8pm and Angel at 9pm, we had a really good block of programming and a lot of fan crossover between the two shows. Considering the ratings and the quality of the show this year, we were shocked that they cancelled it."

USA Today’s well-respected Critic, Robert Bianco recently wrote, “No series is having a much better season than Angel.” He went on to say that the decision to cancel the show was hard to take.

Fans, critics, writers and producers all remain shocked that the show was cancelled when it was doing well in the ratings and was receiving praise from all who tuned into it. Joss Whedon’s quote from a recent statement sums up the general feeling perfectly, “You wanna know how I feel? Watch the first act of "The Body.”"

Whedon remains as eloquent as ever....

Written by Andrea Clarke at Buffy-vs-Angel.com

Twilight -- 12/12/2008
Old 02-25-2004, 05:18 PM
Dedicated Fan

No real news, but when I saw the MSN link to an article about show that died too soon I just knew there would be a mention of Angel. The article was really about those shows that didn't last past the first season, but Angel was mentioned:
Quote:
There's nothing quite like having your favorite TV show axed by callous network executives that are interested only in the bottom line. Do you feel me, fellow "Angel" fans?
Firefly is listed as one of the tragically lost, here's the article:http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...px?news=150652
Old 02-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Part-Time Fan

I posted earlier that part of the WB's thinking in announcing this late on a Friday afternoon was to help dodge some of the fallout. That obviously didn't work and here's even more good news. After tonight's ep. (which has gotten incredible reviews) it will just pick up more momentum.
I'm not saying it's going to do any good, but fan reaction isn't going away.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Master Fan

I'm sorry to 7th Heaven fans and Charmed fans. But I just don't think there would have been this much fallout if either one of them had been cancelled. I know I am biased. But I base this on the fact that Angel has such a dedicated core base of fans and the critics still love the show. I never see this much critical love - or any love- for either of those other 2 shows. And they were renewed?

So The Wb wants to get rid of an aging show in Angel to bring new ones on? But they keep Charmed which is in its what? 6th season? And 7th Heaven which is in its 7th or 8th? That makes a whole lot of sense.

Angel may be in an "old" age of its 5th season, but it is still on top of its game. I cannot say the same about other old shows on The Wb. Great job guys. [img]smilies/thumbs_up.gif[/img] Not.

That is my opinion though.

[img]smilies/love.gif[/img] Jenn
Closed Thread   Post New Thread