Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:31 AM
Passionate Fan

Episode Discussion: 6x07 Once More, With Feeling

Since we aren't going to have new episodes to discuss, we're going to have weekly episode discussion threads for old episodes. New threads will, of course, appear each Tuesday.

Once More, With Feeling

Things begin with Buffy, Willow, Tara and Dawn preparing for a regular day. After their waking ritual, the gang resumes their typical activities at the Magic Box. It seems to be the same old song.
That night, Buffy patrols. Troubled, the Slayer begins singing about being the Slayer. Suddenly, she is attacked. Without missing a note, she kills her attackers.
The next day, an uncertain Buffy asks the gang if they broke into song the previous night. As it turns out, everyone did. Without warning, "The Ripper" himself instigates a number about the cause of the musical spell. The song ends as the gang discovers that the entire town is singing and dancing.
After school, Dawn joins in and shares that a song broke out in her math class. While no one is looking, she steals a talisman off of the counter. Citing that they have a book that could explain the phenomenon, Tara and Willow leave the rest of the gang. The two take a shortcut home through a park and Tara bursts into a song about being under Willow’s spell.
Right after they wake up, Anya and Xander begin singing and dancing. Revealing their true feelings, the two sing about each other’s little quirks. Finishing their number, they collapse on the couch and begin laughing.
That night, at Spike's crypt, Buffy and the vamp talk about the spell. Suddenly, Spike breaks into a song about his love for Buffy and her unwillingness to return his affection. Horrified, Buffy runs away.
At Buffy's house, Dawn mentions the Halloween fight between Willow and Tara. Not remembering a fight, Tara rushes out of the house. Dawn begins singing only to be cut short by some evil puppets.
Later, at the Bronze, Dawn wakes up. While dancing, she tries to escape and is surrounded by puppet men. Then, a demon, Sweet, appears and informs Dawn that she summoned him and must become his queen. After finding out that the Slayer is Dawn's sister, the demon orders his henchmen to find Buffy and tell her that he has Dawn.
While sparring with Buffy, Giles breaks into song. Meanwhile, in the front room, Xander, Anya and Willow work as Tara enters. Musically, Tara confronts Willow about her evildoing as Giles explains to Buffy why he is leaving. After the song, Spike busts in with one of the puppet men—who tells everyone that Sweet has kidnapped Dawn. After the puppet escapes, Giles insists that the gang let Buffy go alone on the mission.
In unison, the Demon and all of the Scoobs begin singing from different locations. Everyone seems to be worried. As the song concludes, Buffy kicks open the door to the Bronze ready for battle. As singing commences between Buffy and the demon, the rest of the gang shows up. Buffy reveals that she was brought back from Heaven and then begins dancing out of control. Still angry with her, Spike stops her before she can burn to death. Things wind down and the demon informs the Scoobs that he must take Dawn because she summoned him with the talisman. To Sweet’s chagrin, we find out that Xander actually summoned the sharp-dressed monster. After one last verse, the demon leaves them all with a final note about being truthful.
The gang breaks into one final song asking the question, "where do we go from here?" Angry, Spike leaves the Bronze, only to be followed by Buffy. The two break into a reprise of their previous song and the vamp and the Slayer lock lips in a long passionate kiss.

RtS: #7; beat The Replacement in the first round; beat Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered in the second round; beat Lover's Walk in the third round; beat Something Blue in the fourth round; beat Hush in the quarterfinals; lost to Becoming, Part 2 in the semifinals; beat Fool For Love in the third place match.

I usually call this episode the "crown jewel of season 6", but even that can't describe how great it really is. When I heard there was going to be a musical episode, I figured it would either be great or terrible, and I was right. Amazing enough that they could even do a musical, it's also a crucial, pivotal episode in the season arc - the one in which secrets come out and the fracture lines in the Scooby Gang, which had been held together by lies, denial and duct tape, break wide open. Tara's song gives me shivers to this day - on one level a beautiful love song (and does Amber Benson have a voice or what?), yet knowing that Tara is in fact under a terrible spell from Willow gives it a creepiness factor that's just off the charts. I'm not gonna run through the whole ep here, though - let's hear what you're wearing out on your tape or DVD.

Please feel free to post your comments, screencaps, favorite scenes and quotes.

Next week: 6x08, Tabula Rasa.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Honestly, there are no words to describe just how much I adore this episode, I literally listen to the soundtrack, or at least a track from it, every day (no joke!) and ranks as my just-second favourite episode ever of Buffy, very closely behind Becoming Part 2.

I don't have a favourite scene but I have a few favourite songs: "Under Your Spell" (Amber's voice is so beautiful), "That's What It's All About", "Standing" (which still makes me teary even though I've seen/heard it a billion times, ASH sings it so wonderfully), "I've Got A Theory" (if not for Anya's bunnies rant alone!) and probably my very favourite track, "Wish I Could Stay", the duet between Tara and Giles.

Also? This is one of the very few episodes which I can actually stand Spike.Buffy relationship. No, actually, I quite like it here. The way Spike eyes Buffy during "Rest In Peace" is rather hot. *thud* And I just love it when he jumps the coffin.

This ep is so quotable, there are times when I just randomly shout out "They got the mustard oooooooouuuuut!" or "Look at me, I'm dancing crazy!"

Gah. I really have to watch this episode now! I don't know what I would do without my DVD, I also love the special features for it, like the behind-the-scenes featurette and the sing-a-long.

- Erin, from TWOP.
loquacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Squeeeeeee! Ah! I think this is my second favourite episode ever! I have the script book, The sheet music, the CD, the DVD, the uncut version on VHS, the slightly cut version on VHS and the extremely cut version on VHS

Spike was soooo yummy in this episode and he was really sweet and funny, and the Spuffyness just melts my little heart

Hey, did you know that when they were filming the bit where Spike jumps onto the coffin. Steve the stunt Spike did the jump and just as he landed, one of the guys carrying the coffin farted and they all thought it was him.

The Xander/Anya scene was highly amusing and the way they brought up past episodes in their singing was really great!

Favourite songs in order:

Rest In Peace
Walk Through the Fire
Under Your Spell / Standing (Reprise)
I've Got a Theory/Bunnies/If We're Together
Where Do We Go From Here?
Under Your Spell
Standing
Something to Sing About
I'll Never Tell
Overture/Going Through the Motions
The Mustard
The Parking Ticket
Dawn's Lament
Dawn's Ballet
What You Feel

I felt sorry for Tara in this episode. When Willow started to abuse magic, it just really frustrated and annoyed me. OUt of all of them, I think that Amber Benson is the best singer.

For me it's:

Amber Benson
Anthony Stewart Head
James Marsters
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Michelle Trachtenberg
Emma Caulfield
Nicholas Brendon
Alyson Hannigan

One of my favourite parts is when Buffy does the dancing and starts spinning really fast and Spike saves her

Oh! and that Marti Noxen and David Fury were in it made it even more special

Oh! And! It made me "squeeeeee!" when I noticed how Buffy and Spike hold hands differently to everyone else Squeeee! They clasp their hands together and the rest just hold them

Ok, I think this is my favourite part Don't they just look so amazing together?
Old 08-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Total Fan

I love this ep! My favorite song is definitely Walk Through the Fire, it's the one I listen to most on the soundtrack. My favorite though to watch is Xander and Anya's I'll Never Tell.

There's one scene that always gets to me. I always tear up when Buffy reveals that she was in heaven. The look on Willow's face and the tears in her eyes always break my heart.

And of course my Spuffy heart LOVES the end...that first real kiss between Spike and Buffy.

Icon by Elya
*Krissy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by *Krissy*

And of course my Spuffy heart LOVES the end...that first real kiss between Spike and Buffy.
Second don't forget intervention
Old 08-25-2004, 01:41 PM
Total Fan

Ah, yes, but that was only a peck.

Icon by Elya
*Krissy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by *Krissy*
Ah, yes, but that was only a peck.
He was injured More would have hurt him
Old 08-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Elite Fan

I loooove this one! But then again, who doesn't?

My fave song has got to be Something to sing about. Sarah'r performance was awesome. I know that she is a great actress but this was the 1st time that I actually saw her and went "Wow!"

Fave songs in order:

Something to sing about
Walk through the fire
Under your spell
RIP
Going trhough the motions
I'll never tell
Where do we go from here
I've got a theory
What you feel
Under your spell/Standing (Reprise)
The parking ticket
Standing
Dawn's ballet
Dawn's lament
Old 08-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hey Guys!

I remember when I first heard about Buffy doing a Musical; I wasn't sure I would like it but this is one of my Favorite episodes.

My favorite part of course is all the Spuffyness. Love that pic of the kissing.

I didn't read spoilers back then so I didn't know what to expect.

My favorite songs
Rest in Peace
Something to Sing About
Walk Through The Fire
Under your Spell
I'll Never Tell
Standing
Under your Spell/ Standing
Where Do We Go From Here

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

One of my top 2 fave eps (with Becoming 2). Generally, I can't stand musicals, but they really made it work in this ep. My favorite singing pieces were Spike's, Buffy's and Giles'. The Giles/Tara duet was very good too.

I absolutely hated the Xander/Anya and Anya stuff -made me scream "Shut up already!" at the screen. I guess even the best eps have their faults (like Angel just getting sent to hell at the end of Becoming, instead of getting dusted).

I loved it when Spike sneered and walked out at the end. And then we get the spuffy kiss. Which was about time.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sexual tension you could cut with a knife
Old 08-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by sum1
And then we get the spuffy kiss. Which was about time.
word. but it was worth the wait, because all that tension and passion were transformed into one of the hottest kisses in Btvs, in my opinion. It wasn't something rushed and corny like the first B/A kiss.
Old 08-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythe
Squeeeeeee! Ah! I think this is my second favourite episode ever! I have the script book, The sheet music, the CD, the DVD, the uncut version on VHS, the slightly cut version on VHS and the extremely cut version on VHS

Favourite songs in order:

Rest In Peace
Walk Through the Fire
Under Your Spell
Standing
Something to Sing About
I'll Never Tell
The Mustard
The Parking Ticket
Dawn's Lament
Dawn's Ballet
What You Feel

Out of all of them, I think that Amber Benson is the best singer.

For me it's:

Amber Benson
Anthony Stewart Head
James Marsters
Sarah Michelle Gellar
Michelle Trachtenberg
Emma Caulfield
Nicholas Brendon
Alyson Hannigan

That's an impressive collection. I have a (very worn) tape of the uncut version from the first airing, and of course the uncut version on the S6 DVD. I love DVD - it'll never wear out!

I've never tried to rate the songs, but I'll take a shot here (subject to change, of course):

Under Your Spell
Walk Through the Fire
Something to Sing About
Standing
Rest In Peace
I'll Never Tell
The Parking Ticket
Dawn's Lament
Dawn's Ballet
What You Feel
The Mustard

As far as voices go:

A+ Amber Benson, Hinton Battle
A Anthony Stewart Head, Emma Caulfield, Marti Noxon
B+ James Marsters
B Sarah Michelle Gellar
B- Nicholas Brendon, David Fury
C+ Michelle Trachtenberg
D Alyson Hannigan

My reaction to the B/S kiss at the end? A big uh-oh. I mean, of course I enjoyed it, but I knew nothing good would come of it (and at this point in the season I was unspoiled).
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hadn't been unspoiled since I discovered the internet I never got the good spoilers though, because I didn't know how to find bigger ones at the time. But, being English it was easier to get spoiled as the episodes had already aired in the USA.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythe
Sexual tension you could cut with a knife
Oh yeah you can really feel it in this episode. I love how Buffy is spinning and Spike saves her and sings about him needing her to live. The way he looks at her makes me melt.

Am I the only one who didn't feel sorry for Willow when she found out Buffy was in heaven?

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread