Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2004, 01:22 AM
Passionate Fan

Episode Discussion: 6x05 Life Serial

Since we aren't going to have new episodes to discuss, we're going to have weekly episode discussion threads for old episodes. New threads will, of course, appear each Tuesday.

Life Serial

When Buffy returns from her visit with Angel, she declines to talk about her visit. Giles suggests another topic: what is Buffy going to do with her life? After a brief discussion, she decides to go back to school with Willow and Tara. Unbeknownst to the Scoobies, Warren, Jonathan and Andrew are plotting an offensive against Buffy.
At UC Sunnydale, Buffy begins experiencing a time-lapse during the day causing her to freak out and miss class. Luckily, after throwing herself under a table to take cover from the sped up world around her, the Slayer finds a device planted on her by Warren. However, the Crime Lords destroy the chip before she can investigate.
What could be better for Buffy than using her Slayer strength on a construction site? Not long after she starts her day, though, Andrew concocts a spell that makes three demons appear at the site. After an intense battle, she manages to melt the demons. At Xander’s request, Buffy hands over her hardhat.
Next, Buffy tries her hands at retail, working at the Magic Box. However, Jonathan crafts a spell that creates a time loop that won't end unless Buffy satisfies a customer. To make things worse, a Mummy's Hand attacks her every time the loop repeats. Frustrated, Buffy slams her nametag on the counter and bails.
After getting drunk in Spike's crypt that night, Buffy and the vamp decide to hit a demon bar for info on Buffy's bad week. Outside, Buffy notices the Super Van. Before she busts the Crime Lords, a demonized Jonathan jumps out to fight. Buffy kicks his ass and the nerdy trio runs for the hills. Later, at Buffy's house, Giles and Buffy discuss the week's events. Giles hands the Slayer a check to help her out and Buffy feels she is lucky, knowing that he is always going to be there. Giles's face, however, tells a different story.

RtS: Lost to Dirty Girls in the first round.

A decent episode, which I enjoy more now than I did when it first aired. The first half of the episode is merely okay; the reference to the "mystery meeting" with Angel annoys me and Buffy's decision to go back to school while broke makes no sense. The construction job scene was a little too predictable for my taste. However, the second half is where it gets good. The "Groundhog Day" mummy hand sequence was very funny, but I wanted to strangle Anya when she decided to dock Buffy's pay for the delivery charge, and I wanted to kick Giles in the head for letting her do it. No wonder Buffy decided to go get drunk. I really liked the scene of Buffy and Spike hanging out in the crypt doing shots like a couple of old pals - it was something we'd never seen from them and I certainly never thought I'd see. The kitten poker was truly lame, though. I could have done without that.

Please feel free to post your comments, screencaps, favorite scenes and quotes.

Next week: 6x06, All The Way.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

LOL! I loved this episode!

I think Buffy looked way hotter than F... I think Buffy looked hot in this episode

Poor Buffy can't get a normal job

Didn't you just think it was soooo funny when Andrew accidently pressed the car horn? :

Quote:
From Buffyworld

ANDREW: Oh, man. She took 'em out.
WARREN: Lemme see. (grabs the binoculars and looks)
ANDREW: Okay, give it back now.
WARREN: No, I'm still looking.
ANDREW: No, y-you had your turn, now gimme-
WARREN: No, I'm still-
ANDREW: Gimme-

Andrew grabs for the binoculars and Warren shoves him away. Andrew falls halfway onto Jonathan's lap. His elbow hits the steering wheel and activates the horn, which plays the Star Wars theme song.

Cut to the construction site. Buffy hears the honking and peers curiously out of the building. She sees the black van sitting on the street beyond the fence. The Star Wars music continues.

Cut back to the van. The geeks yell "Duck!" and all dive for the floor. Andrew jumps through the bead curtain into the back while the other two just lower their heads.

Jonathan: Stop touching my magic bone!

Warren: This mummy hand has ceased to be!
Andrew: It is an ex-mummy hand!

Heheh!

:buffy_buffy: :buffy_spike:

When Piet and I drank together on the webcam, he said that my face was exactly like Buffy's
Old 08-11-2004, 03:02 PM
Elite Fan

I loved this episode! A lot of funny stuff and some quality humor. I hated the Angel thingy cause it really didn't make sense and Buffy the construction worker part was kinda boring for me.

But The Mummy Hand! !!! One of the funniest scene EVER! Working as a seller myself, I totally understand Buffy's frustration in that scene. And when Anya said "Go sell her something" and patted Buffy she totally reminded me of my boss! Buffy smacking Giles's glasses was hilarious!

The Troika had some great scenes too. The Magic bone part was great. And Spuffy scenes were awesome! I really started using the work Bleagh! Kitten poker was... disturbing.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by The Dreamer
The Troika had some great scenes too. The Magic bone part was great. And Spuffy scenes were awesome! I really started using the work Bleagh! Kitten poker was... disturbing.
I love Andrew sooo much!

Phew! I thought you were gonna hurt me
Old 08-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythe
I love Andrew sooo much!

Phew! I thought you were gonna hurt me
Oh! I forgot!

You naughty naughty girl!
Old 08-11-2004, 04:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Oh! I forgot!

You naughty naughty girl!
*is ashamed*

Old 08-12-2004, 03:42 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Hey Guys!

This is definetely one of my favorite episodes; just because of how Hilarious Drunk Buffy is!

I loved how she said she would stake Spike and then whined about not getting in a bar fight. Oh and letting the kittens free and telling off Spike.
Buffy: The only Person I can stand to be around is a neutored vampire who cheats at kitten poker.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 05:15 AM
Loyal Fan

I actually enjoyed the Troika in this episode. Though the Monty Python reference with the "ex-mummy hand" was great, my favorite Troika scene hasn't been mentioned yet. That was the whole "James Bond" argument with whose favorite James Bond Actor was the best, culminating in Andrew's "I hope Timothy Dalton wins an oscar and beats Sean Connery over the head with it!" - hee. Their choices in favorite actors definitely seemed to match their personality. You could just imagine Andrew picking Timothy Dalton and thinking "He's just so cool and totally hot."

And I agree with Ragnarok - The Mummy hand scene and the crypt scenes were the best. The best part of the "kitten poker scene" was drunk Buffy - we actually get Spike for a moment almost embarassed to be with her, but of course he jumps to her defense when she is insulted. Also of course interspersed with that scene is the above Troika scene, so I can forgive the kitten poker a little.
Night Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 07:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Jen

Excellent choice of screencaps - my compliments. I definitely approved of that little number Buffy wore to school.

I kinda liked Warren and Jonathan in the early episodes of S6; maybe it's because they were returning characters, but I did think they were funny. I disliked Andrew from minute one, and only grew to dislike his character more and more as the series progressed. He was the greatest waste of airtime in Whedonverse history.

While I enjoyed the Buffy/Spike interaction in this episode, I did see a big red flag.

Quote:
BUFFY: What's wrong?! You were gonna help me! You, you were gonna beat heads and, and, and fix my life! But you're completely lame!
When I heard that, I said "huh?". Buffy wants Spike to fix her life? There was no way that could possibly be a good idea, or turn out well. So while I won't claim I had any idea it would turn out as ugly as it did, I did know that there was trouble ahead.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnarok

I kinda liked Warren and Jonathan in the early episodes of S6; maybe it's because they were returning characters, but I did think they were funny. I disliked Andrew from minute one, and only grew to dislike his character more and more as the series progressed. He was the greatest waste of airtime in Whedonverse history.
I think, to like Andrew you have to appreciate a certain type of comedy that not every does. I (Lenkkie Princess) personally love him to bits
Old 08-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Scythe
I think, to like Andrew you have to appreciate a certain type of comedy that not every does. I (Lenkkie Princess) personally love him to bits
Everyone likes different things, and I know Andrew is very popular. I won't say he was never funny, but I hate him as a character because he was always a two-dimensional stick figure. I never for one second saw any depth or substance to him. He was never anything but a sad little joke, so I never had the slightest respect for him nor did I care for one second what happened to him. Other than that, I thought he was great.

Warren and Jonathan, on the other hand, were fully realized "people" with fleshed out characteristics and motivations. Even though I never "liked" Warren, I respected him as a character and took him seriously.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Jen

Excellent choice of screencaps - my compliments. I definitely approved of that little number Buffy wore to school.

While I enjoyed the Buffy/Spike interaction in this episode, I did see a big red flag.

When I heard that, I said "huh?". Buffy wants Spike to fix her life? There was no way that could possibly be a good idea, or turn out well. So while I won't claim I had any idea it would turn out as ugly as it did, I did know that there was trouble ahead.
I don't think I saw what Buffy said as meaning much since she was drunk. I never would have guessed that Spike and Buffy's relationship would turn out the way it did from this episode. Although I am one of the few fans who loved Season 6. I think this season made me understand and feel more connected to the characters since it was about how hard life can be. This episode did a good job of showing that and still being funny. I can really relate to how lost Buffy feels. It seems most fans don't like this season.

I enjoyed Warren and Jonathon but didn't like Andrew then. I grew to like him in Season 7 though.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:07 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:

Warren and Jonathan, on the other hand, were fully realized "people" with fleshed out characteristics and motivations. Even though I never "liked" Warren, I respected him as a character and took him seriously.
I kinda agree on that... I liked Andrew but only as a funny character and I never took him seriously, while J & W had some character developments. Andrew was better in s7 though.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I kinda agree on that... I liked Andrew but only as a funny character and I never took him seriously, while J & W had some character developments. Andrew was better in s7 though.
Ooh J & W is like Joss and Whedon... *shuts up*
Old 08-18-2004, 01:05 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Bee
I don't think I saw what Buffy said as meaning much since she was drunk. I never would have guessed that Spike and Buffy's relationship would turn out the way it did from this episode. Although I am one of the few fans who loved Season 6. I think this season made me understand and feel more connected to the characters since it was about how hard life can be. This episode did a good job of showing that and still being funny. I can really relate to how lost Buffy feels. It seems most fans don't like this season.

I enjoyed Warren and Jonathon but didn't like Andrew then. I grew to like him in Season 7 though.
I thought Buffy did mean it, but never would have said it if she hadn't been drunk. Her whole attitude towards Spike had changed from S5, and she did also say that he was the only person she could stand to be around. I didn't think that could possibly be a good thing; while I had come to like Spike much better than I had in S5, I still saw him as a chronic screwup, so depending on him as Buffy was doing was never going to work out well.

For what it's worth, I'm also a big fan of S6. It wasn't pretty, but it wasn't supposed to be. They took some very big chances, and pulled most of them off.
Reply   Post New Thread