Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 01:50 AM
Passionate Fan

Episode Discussion: 2x17 Passion

Since we aren't going to have new episodes to discuss, we're going to have weekly episode discussion threads for old episodes. New threads will, of course, appear each Tuesday.

Passion

Angelus continues to torment Buffy, leaving drawings of her sleeping on her bed at night. Giles promises to find a spell to revoke Angelus' invitation to her house. Jenny and Giles are still awkward from Jenny's betrayal of trust. At Spike's lair, Angelus taunts the paralyzed Spike by flirting outrageously with Dru. Jenny has found a spell to restore Angelus' soul, but Drusilla is warned of this by her clairvoyant powers. Angelus tells Joyce that he and Buffy slept together, but he cannot enter their home, since Buffy has cast the uninvitation ritual. Drusilla finds out Jenny's plan, and Angelus goes to Sunnydale High, where Jenny is translating the spell onto a floppy disk, and kills her. Giles returns to his apartment to find Jenny's body laid out on his bed. The gang goes to Giles place, since Buffy knows he will try to kill Angelus in revenge. They are too late, and Giles savagely beats Angelus with a flaming torch, but Angelus is too strong for him, and almost kills Giles before Buffy saves him. The disk with the spell falls down the side of Jenny's desk...

(Episode summary on loan from buffyguide.com)

RtS: #5; beat Go Fish in the first round; beat Choices in the second round; beat Checkpoint in the third round; beat After Life in the fourth round; lost to Fool For Love in the quarterfinals.

An amazing episode. Angelus really hit his stride in this ep, after lurking around the edges in the previous two. And wow, evil can't even begin to describe him. Some truly unforgettable scenes: Angelus and Joyce, Willow's fish, the whole Angelus/Jenny scene at the school capped by her murder, Giles' discovery of her body, Angelus watching Buffy and Willow get the news, Giles attacking Angelus. Just one great scene on top of another at breakneck pace. It'll always be one of the S2 eps I rewatch often.

Please feel free to post your comments, screencaps, favorite scenes and quotes.

Next week: 2x18, Killed By Death.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not really a fan of this episode... It was... kinda... slightly dull and they killed my Jenny

Some good Spikeyness though

Fire pretty? Fire Angry!!!!

And! I feel bad for Willow's fish and the creepy drawings that Angel left around for everyone to find *shudders*

It was so funny when Dru tried to feed Spike "Sunshine"

I always cry in this episode, when Giles finds Jenny's body and also when Giles tells Willow on the phone what's happened The acting in those scenes is amazing
Old 08-25-2004, 05:54 PM
Elite Fan

This episode was alright. It was very sad when Jenny died...poor Giles.

It was hilarious when Dru tried to feed Spike Sunshine.
groovyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by groovyk1
This episode was alright. It was very sad when Jenny died...poor Giles.

It was hilarious when Dru tried to feed Spike Sunshine.
Feeding a vampire sunshine doesn't sound very friendly does it? Sounds more like one of Buffy's threats
Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah it does!!

There was a lot of Spikeyness
Old 08-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Loyal Fan

Passion was so sad but it was such a powerful episode, I cried when Jenny died

Sonny & Brenda/Buffy & Angel/Buffy & Spike/Big & Carrie/Ben & Felicity/Luke & Lorelai/Rory & Jess/Doyle & Cordelia/Ron & Hermione/Ross & Rachel
~*SweetiePie*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Hey Guys!

Aww I really liked Jenny and she and Giles were good together. So sad when Giles finds her in his bed.

This episode showed how twisted and evil Angelus was with the creepy stuff and killing Jenny.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Loyal Fan

This episode for me was one of the best! All the acting in it was superb! I was so upset when jenny was killed and I really felt bad when Giles found her in his room. ASH was great in that scene.
I thought the most moving scene was Buffy and Giles at the graveyard because it's the first time Giles acknowledges in words that he loved Jenny.

Shipper of: Karl/Susan, Dawson/Joey, Bridget/Mark, Willow/Tara
Star Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:40 PM
Elite Fan

It was just a really sad episode.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Masterpiece ep. Angel was great in this ep (soulless Angel was called "Angel" not "Angelus" in season 2 and calling him "Angelus" just supports the nonsense myth that soulled and soulless Angel are two different people). But I sooooo wanted Buffy to kill him when she went after him.

The scene in which Buffy and Willow find out about Jenny's death over the phone was very well done. As was the scene in which Giles discovers Jenny dead, of course. But I do wish Jenny had been made a little less wimpy-screamy-scaredy-run-away in her last stand. I'd have preferred her to have gone down with more fight.

Last edited by sum1; 08-27-2004 at 07:54 PM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by sum1
The scene in which Buffy and Willow find out about Jenny's death over the phone was very well done. As was the scene in which Giles discovers Jenny dead, of course. But I do wish Jenny had been made a little less wimpy-screamy-scaredy-run-away in her last stand. I'd have preferred her to have gone down with more fight.
But who walks around the house with their arm linked with someone else
Old 08-28-2004, 12:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

my favorite scene was when Giles is yelling at Buffy and he goes ''This wasn't your fight'' and she punches him, and goes ''Are you trying to get killed? Is that what you're trying to do?'' or something like that and she starts crying, then kneels down, hugging him, and whispers, ''I can't lose you.'' so powerful !!!
Old 08-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarhiliel
my favorite scene was when Giles is yelling at Buffy and he goes ''This wasn't your fight'' and she punches him, and goes ''Are you trying to get killed? Is that what you're trying to do?'' or something like that and she starts crying, then kneels down, hugging him, and whispers, ''I can't lose you.'' so powerful !!!
Oh yes! That's a really amazing scene! I like how Buffy beat up Angelus too
Old 08-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Tarhiliel
Yes, I agree. That was a brilliant scene.

Jen

Hmmm...I've got to hand it to you. I've never heard this episode called "dull" before. Gonna have to disagree with you there.

Excellent screencaps, though.

sum1

Good point about "Angelus". I also think the whole Angel/Angelus business was a huge copout, especially with the whole "selective memory" bit added on (Angel remembers everything he did to Drusilla but not The Beast?). I'm sure they did it only because they were afraid the audience wouldn't accept B/A in S3 if "Angel" could be held in any way responsible for Jenny's murder. I wish they'd given the audience more credit. The whole point of the curse was for Angel to remember his crimes and feel guilt for them, and Spike proved in S7 that ensouled vamps don't have selective memory. Real continuity gaffes all around on that one.

The Dru/Spike "Sunshine" scene was a good one. Spike's frustration at his helplessness came through loud and clear, as did his anger over the Angel/Dru business. You just knew he was going to do something about it eventually.

Best line in the episode: "No fair jumping in unless he tags you". I laugh out loud every time I hear it. You could see how much Spike was enjoying watching Giles pound on Angel.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Well I don't like Angel at all... and it's mostly about him so: dull