Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Supreme Fan

I absolutly hated this movie... & yeah I would choose the series any day over the movie.
Where you are going will be better
McAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Passionate Fan

I consider the movie just to be sort of template and the series to be the best thing to come out of the bomb of the movie. The series gave the original idea in the movie a hell lot more depth.

amy2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Passionate Fan

Was Kristy Swanson approached to play Buffy in the series? If so, do you guys think she would have been any good?
Bronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Extreme Fan

McAwesome...I want your avi!

The movie had a lot of potential which was ruined when the producers wouldn't listen to Joss.

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Was asked by mods that rather than post a new thread for my Buffy rewatch to just add them to exisiting threads so here goes

Lets start off where it really started with Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry back in 1992.

The Buffy Movie

The Good
Kristy is lovely, perhaps even more so than SMG, especially in her nightie. Love the scene where she rides the motorbike and some of the valleytalk. Principal Murray is also funny as is the 'What time is it?' gag. Love the idea that 'PMS is our secret weapon'
Paul Ruebens is good especially his death scene. And that's pretty much it

The Bad
Personally I think both Merrick and Lothos are way over the top. The Buffy/Pike relationship lacks credibility although it's interesting to think about Buffy/Oz? Angel is sorely missed. Kristy's lovely but nowhere near as good an actress as SMG. The finale is also not up to much. It's an OK film but it lacks verve

The Other
Quite a cast, double Oscar winner Hilary Swank, Ben Affleck, Ricky Lake etc. Reputedly Seth Green has a small role but I've never spotted him. You can certainly see the beginnings of the Buffy characters here;
Pike=Oz
Jennifer=Cordy
Kimberly=Harmony
Andy=Xander
Cassandra=Willow (although she dies!)
Murray=Flutie
No Ford from 'Lie to Me' though. The only characters to cross from the movie to the series are Buffy, Joyce, Hank and Merrick (in flashback in Becoming pt2). Joyce's 'What time?' line to Buffy is also repeated there but in a very different context. Joyce remarks to Buffy in 'Fear Itself' that she's not the social butterfly she used to be and also in WTTH that she's read parenting books.
I saw Luke Perry in 'When Harry Met Sally' with AH and he was very good (and certainly still a hit with the girls). A shame we never see Pike again in the series although he does return in the comics. I don't really think the romance between him and Buffy works, we sorely miss Angel/Spike. If you look at the video cover it has both him and Kristy, by the time it comes out on DVD it's just her.
Buffy later describes her pre-Slayer personality as Cordelia-like and she is. Ironically Merrick quotes Corinthians about putting away childish things but it's by clinging to her non-slayer life that Buffy is the most successful Slayer ever. She does recall the memories of past Slayers just as Dana does in Damaged so this is presumably something shared by all Slayers
Buffy says she aims to graduate, go to Europe, marry Christian Slater and die. By the end of Angel she's done 3 out of 4 (wouldn't it have been cool if they got the Immortal to be played by Christian Slater?)
Now of course if Normal Again is real then Buffy's delusion starts at the point she 'meets' Merrick and ends at the final scene of Chosen (the Buffy comics her dreams and/or perhaps she writes them for a living?). On the plus side although none of her Sunnydale characters exist it means that folks like Cassandra she based them on are still alive so she still has her Scooby-Gang and both parents when she gets out of the asylum. And she can always find a new Faith and Angel/Spike and name her daughter Dawn.
Lots of continuity changes. Vamps don't dust and can fly. Buffy doesn't miss the heart first time out as she later claims. It's much more overtly christian with the Slayer clearly god's instrument. Buffy has a built in vamp-detector which is alluded to in the series but not so strongly.
More cruelty to cats!
Good soundtrack from the Divinyls, they also did 'I touch myself' which Buffy recalls listening to in 'Lie to Me'

Questions;
Merrick says he is reincarnated but is that just him or all Watchers?
Do Faith and co all have the birthmark Buffy had removed?

I'll give it 7 out of 10 just for the sake of nostalgia
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Seth's scenes were cut from the film.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

I absolutely love this movie. It is such a guilty pleasure.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Heres an interesting fact, theres a David Bowie connection to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, through Candy Clark, the lady who plays Buffy's mom in the movie

Candy Clark was the leading lady in Nicolas Roeg's 1976 film "The Man Who Fell to Earth" which starred David Bowie

^ Only the most pretentious still photo to feature in a movie
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

I watched that movie after I knew the TV show.
No that movie is not my cup of tea. So boring.
Sorry.
~My top ships:Brennan/Booth, Amy/Sheldon, Penny/Leonard, Angela/Hodgins, Gabrielle/Carlos, Piper/Leo, Buffy/Angel, Willow/Tara, Spike/Drusilla, Wesley/Fred, Janet/Steve, Clare/Steve, Kelly/Brandon, Kira/Odo, Ezri/Bashir, Jadzia/Worf, Troi/Riker, Hannah Caleb, Spencer/Toby, Bree/Trip~Thanks for 12 years of TBBT!~Aspie~ big Sheldon Cooper Fan~ Team Shannen and Holly~Icon by me~I don´t care what complete strangers think of me because I don´t know them at all ~
BlackWhiteRose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:41 PM
Elite Fan

The movie I give some credit to for at least getting Joss out there production/writing wise, but its far from his original vision.
It's taken me all this time to find out what I need
Charmed Slayer Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Elite Fan

Of course the movie isn't as good as the TV series but I bought it a few months ago and I liked it. Very campy and funny.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I was so sad when I heard the news today! I had to post here.

I caught 90210 here and there growing up. I wasn't really a big fan of the show because I was too young when 90210 aired. I was a senior in high school when the show ended. When I did watch 90210 over the years I remember how Luke was always a stand out as Dylan .

I remember watching the trailer for Buffy when I was little and then I always saw the iconic movie posters of Buffy The Vampire Slayer at the video store. I eventually saw the movie years later on TV and Luke was amazing! No one else could of played the character of Pike the way he did. No matter how bad or cheesy the film was I really enjoyed it.

This is how I will always remember Luke Perry! Pike forever

Our modern day James Dean! Luke Perry will be missed! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Gone but not forgotten.

Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Roswell 10/2/00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Elite Fan

I forgot LP was in this movie, his character worked really well in the film and he had chemistry with Buffy as well. I think this is the only thing I saw him in cause I never got into Beverly Hills 90210. I can't believe he is gone either, I feel people are dying way too young lately.
Butterfly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I remember loving Pike and loving Pike/Buffy so much.
#RIPLukePerry
eternalfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Movies

I was looking for this thread yesterday! (I didn't find it in the OP) -- I've just added tags to make it easier to find in future.

RIP Luke Perry

His chemistry with Kristy Swanson SAVED this movie. Tonally, it was kind of a mess (trying to hard with the silly humor and moving too far from Joss' vision) but the Pike and Buffy relationship was the heart of the story.

Also, Luke reminded me of Xander, Angel AND Spike in this role.
Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread