Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Addicted Fan

New Buffy Webcomic is up at MySpace Dark Horse Presents. featuring Harmony on The Colbert Report by Jane Espenson and Karl Moline.

MySpace - MySpace Dark Horse Presents Free Online Comics & Comic Books on MySpace

I also have my copy of Angel:Only Human #1 and thought it was good.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Addicted Fan

If you can't see the web comic at MDHP,you can also see it here.

Page 1

http://images.darkhorse.com/mdhp/iss.../buffy_pg1.jpg

Page 2

http://images.darkhorse.com/mdhp/iss.../buffy_pg2.jpg

Old 08-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Harmony seems smarter there than she did on the show
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Fully colored covers for the Angel Annual

Comic Cove: After the Con

Friday, August 14, 2009

After the Con

Hey everyone, it's certainly been a while since my last post, so I thought I'd update 'ya with some new covers. First up, since these three covers were shown at the IDW Angel panel at Comic-con, here they are again. First Angel 26 (above), and then the two Stephen Mooney covers for the "Last Angel in Hell" issues. I colored these for the "Moondog" and I have to say, working on his awsome art was a pleasure! We should colaborate again dude!

Posted by nickrung

Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Addicted Fan

Stephen Mooney Interview including his art pitch for After The Fall and a preview page from Angel #26

Buffyverse Comic Reviews: Stephen Mooney Interview

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Stephen Mooney Interview

First Tipton, then Messina, and now we welcome ANGEL artist Stephen Mooney to Buffyverse Comic Reviews! Read on to see what this gracious, talented, and supremely Irish man had to say about his work in comics.

Buffyverse Comic Reviews: First of all, thanks for doing this. Let’s start off with the basics. How did you get into being a comic artist in the first place? Was it always your dream?

Stephen Mooney: You're more than welcome man, thanks for having me!
I got into comics in a roundabout way, through animation. I had always wanted to draw for a living, and comics were my weapon of choice as a teenager. In Ireland there's no dedicated college course on comicbooks, but there is a very reputable animation college in Dublin. So I figured that I could take that course and draw 8 hours a day 5 days a week, thus gaining a grounding in the same basic aspects of drawing required for comics, ie life-drawing, storytelling, layout etc.
I started freelancing straight out of college, for the first couple of years mostly as a storyboard artist for ad agencies, then two years in a Dublin based animation house called Boulder Media in the background dept, and then finally to full-time comics from there around five years ago.

BCR: How did you first get involved with IDW?

Mooney: After 2 years on an Irish book called Freakshow I emailed (then relatively new EIC of IDW) Chris Ryall after hearing that he'd hired a couple of Irish guys in the recent past. I figured I could play the Blarney card. Chris couldn't have been more responsive and pleasant(or better groomed), and he made me feel right at home straight away. There happened to be a CSI script on his desk looking for an artist at that very moment, and he figured I might be a good fit. After 5 years at this game I've come to realise that timing is 50%, and who you know is the other 50%. There are a lot've guys who're good enough to draw and write these books, opportunity plays such a massive part.

BCR: You’re well known for your work on ANGEL and THE MUMMY, but where can Mooney fans go if they want to see more of your stuff? Are there any other books you’ve been a part of?

Mooney: Well as I mention above, I started with IDW on a CSI series called 'Dying in The Gutters' in 2006, which was a fun whodunnit set firmly in the world of comics at the San Diego comic convention.

Before that I spent 2 years on an Irish book called Freakshow, which was basically Scooby Doo as re-imagined by Tim Burton, a lotta fun. I also drew a series for Fangoria Comics at one point called 'Strangeland: Sevin Sins', but only the first issue of that was released before the company went under. It was all completed though, and they keep threatening to release it in it's entirety as a graphic novel, so who knows.

The last two years has been pretty dominated by Angel work, with the Mummy series somewhere in between.

I've had a few short stories here and there in Irish and British anthology books also. Tough stuff to track down, even I don't have copies of everything.

BCR: You expressed interest in working on AFTER THE FALL ever since it was announced. You even drew up a few pages of the alley fight. How did it feel when you were called in to work on the pivotal arc of issues #12-14? How were you approached?

Mooney: How was I approached? It was more a case of when was I unleashed! I remember I got a mail from Chris, under the subject heading of ANGEL that consisted of one line that said 'We're ready for you'. That was to draw the Connor and Kate segments of First Night. To say I was thrilled would be somewhere beneath an understatement. I had been badgering Chris since I came onboard IDW to let me at the Angel books, but I didn't think I'd ever really get a shot since David Messina was doing such an amazing job there already. But Chris had let me know that sooner rather than later, big things would be happening in the Angelverse and more troops would be required. When I heard that Joss was working on a comicbook continuation to the show, that's when I drew those sample pages up to 'audition' for the job. I didn't know that the artist had already been chosen for the book(the amazing Franco Urru), and I'm kind've glad now that I didn't come on board until later as I don't think my abilities were quite sharpened enough at that point. So to start on issues 6+7 was perfect for me. Those stories seemed to get a pretty strong reaction, along with Nick's Wesley story, which I think was probably the main factor in us getting the nod from Chris and Brian to tackle those meatier arcs further on. For me, getting to draw the issue 12-14 arc was beyond perfect, as Cordelia is my favourite female Buffyverse character(followed closely by Anya and Fred, fact-fans), and this was a chance to really do her justice. I was a massive fan of her send-off in 'You're Welcome', so I was a little dubious about her return at first. But once the scripts started coming in from Brian those fears were allayed big-time.

BCR: What was it like to draw all those epic moments?

Mooney: SO cool. Real, character defining, in-continuity moments for some of my favourite characters? Yes please. Cordy coming back, Illyria unleashed, Connor finally growing up... I mean, I was and am such a fan of the show, and this is pivotal stuff, so yeah... I was a happy bunny.

BCR: The pages you worked on brought a lot of old characters back. How did it feel tackling likenesses of characters like Kate, who had never appeared in the comics before?

Mooney: It was grand really, likenesses don't really bother me(although I wouldn't mind working on a book soon WITHOUT any likenesses...). It was just such a thrill to be involved that all technical concerns like that became secondary. You just work it out. Cordy was the most fun, as she's such a looker. That said, I do love drawing Kate and was so happy that she has a little upcoming cameo with Angel in issue 26. She discovers where she'd left the key to her wardrobe.

BCR: Something you’ve said a few times is that NOT FADE AWAY is your favorite episode of television, period. Well, that’s something we have in common. How did it feel to work on an adaptation episode you love so much?

Mooney: Daunting! I mean, in all honesty, my initial reaction to the offer of working on it was 'really? um... hasn't that already been done, like, really quite well?'. As you mentioned, I do consider that episode as being pretty untouchable. But then I've always been a bit of a groper. So when I sat down and tried breaking down some of the scenes, I realised that maybe comics could bring a little something new to the tale. Little changes of angle and perspective here, and a totally different shot there could maybe bring out that tiny bit of nuance in a certain look, or emotive response. As to how successful the adaptation was is anybody's guess, but myself and (the fantastic) Scott Tipton were quite proud of the results, and felt that we at least managed to provide a slightly different take. There's an argument that such adaptations aren't all that necessary, why repeat something like that? But I think that maybe there is sufficient gold to be mined, and there's certainly fun in trying. At the end of the day the books are there for those interested in such new takes on old favourites, and can be ignored by those who don't feel the need.

Different strokes for different folks. That said, I did get offered more episode adaptations but turned them down, as I felt that I'd had my say and that other people could bring a fresher perspective.

BCR: If you could do the art for any other Angel adaptation, what episode would it be?

Mooney: See above. If they offered me the Five by Five/Sanctuary two-parter, well then I'd hafta think about it, as I adore Faith and those episodes in particular. Never say never!

BCR: Now, the essential trivia bits. Favorite character? Episode? Season?

Mooney: Favourite characters, in order of preference: Wesley, Angel, Cordy, Doyle, Lorne and Fred/Illyria.
Favourite episodes: Not Fade Away, A Hole in the World, You're Welcome, Darla, I Will Remember You, Hero... the list goes on, way too many.
Favourite Seasons: 5, then 3 for Wesley's arc. All the Darla material in 2 was pretty great. 4 would be my least favourite.

BCR: Out of all the books you’ve worked on, Angel or otherwise, which are you most proud of?

Mooney: Angel, for the fact that what I was getting to draw was so momentous and really meant something in the scheme of things. Also for meeting and getting to work with Brian Lynch. Then, on the other side of the coin, I was really proud of the Mummy book I did with a great writer named Josh Jabcuga. It was a hugely fun, swashbuckling tale in the Raiders of the Lost Ark mould, that was just diametrically opposed to the dark seriousness of Angel. I was dying to do a book like that that was pure action-adventure, and I thought it turned out really well. It had beautiful colouring by a painter friend of mine, Lisa Jackson, which I loved. She also coloured my segments of First Night, actually.

BCR: I know it’s still a few months until the issues come out, but hell… I’m excited. What can you tell me about the BOYS AND THEIR TOYS issues?

Mooney: Um, not much unfortunately, other than what's been described already in the solicitation. I will say that I'd been dying to work with Brian on a proper Angel/Spike tale, where they spend a lot of time in each other's company and have loads of those great back and forths that I love so much from the show. My favourite aspect of Brian's writing is his dialogue, and these scripts certainly didn't disappoint.

BCR: You came to NYCC this year, but I unfortunately missed you. Did you make it to SDCC this year, and did either of your experiences at the cons influence your work on BOYS AND THEIR TOYS?

Mooney: I've been to the San Diego con a few times, and the CSI series I drew was also set there, so I've had a lot of experience with these things! Didn't make it to Comic-con this year as I was in New York earlier and hafta limit my trips to the states to generally once a year. I'll probably be there next time though, I have to go to Brian's house and wee in his pool.

BCR: You’ve also been working with super scribe Brian Lynch on another project that has more in common with DOUBT than it does with ANGEL. How much can you tell us about ONE BAD MOTHER? How did the idea come up, and when did Brian approach you?

Mooney: The idea was mostly Brian's and he talked to me at length about it at the New York con. I LOVE the premise, it's right up my alley. What is the premise? I'm not sure I can say... I don't wanna step on Brian's toes, this book is his baby. I was delighted to be asked to collaborate and have drawn the first 7 pages of the first issue. We've yet to shop it around the publishers to see if anybody bites, but hopefully that'll happen sooner rather than later.
Brian Lynch is one ridiculously busy guy. He does the comics stuff purely for the love of it, he has a full-time job as a (successful!)screenwriter.

He's also an amazing lover.

I hear.

BCR: Any chance we’ll see any more of you on the main ANGEL title or any spin-offs? We need the Mooney fix!

Mooney: You know, I'm really not sure. I was thinking about it, and the annual which I'm working on now could very well be the last Angel book I draw. After nearly two years working mostly on Angel, is that enough? I don't know. I can tell you that I've written a pitch with Brian for a Wesley one-shot/mini, set during season five, which I think is really interesting and delves into stuff to do with his father and the watcher's council, and lots of struggling to come to terms with Fred's death and this new beast named Illyria. I just think there's so much more can be said with the Wesley character, and I'm loathe to let him go! So maybe we'll see that at some point, I don't know.
As for other Angel-related material, I hope so some day.

BCR: Lastly, can you talk a bit about the Eclectic Micks and another other projects you’re working on?

Mooney: Sure! The Ecclectic Micks is a collective of seven Irish comicbook artists that maintain a blog in which we each post a sketch/finished piece/brainfart on our given day of the week. I post every moondog monday, often with Angel-related material.

Being a comicbook artist is indeed a solitary game, and any avenue you can follow that will lead to actual social interaction is indeed a prize worth pursuing.

The lads are all sound, and we get on really well. A couple of them(Nick Roche - Transformers, Stephen Thompson - Star Trek) wallow with me in the IDW gene-pool too. We get tables together at cons and the like, and you'll probably find a bunch of us together at any given event. Tis fun.

We have our first sketchbook coming out soon, with all of the best stuff from the first year of the blog. Folks should come on over to Eclectic Micks and check us out.
I also have my own blog over at Moondog -The Moonblog which heavily features Angel artwork. Come say hi!

Thanks Stephen! And what do you say, IDW? Make that Mooney/Lynch Wesley story happen!

I would love to see that Lynch/Mooney Wesley one-shot or miniseries.

Juliet Landau interview about Angel #24-25.

The Write Blog: After The Fall Juliet Landau Takes On Angel

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

After The Fall Juliet Landau Takes On Angel

One of the downsides to working as a writer in the entertainment industry is that writers are often pigeonholed into one style of writing; as if someone who writes science fiction films can’t handle a strong dramatic period piece. It’s frustrating because a good writer doesn’t want to keep writing the same story over and over again just as a good actor doesn’t want to continue playing the same role from one film to the next. It’s a vicious cycle in Hollywood; the machine wants to suckle the success formula until its bone dry.

For many years all I wrote were high concept comedies because that was the genre of the first script I sold. It was expected and incumbent on me to continue doing what I did best, without any thought of doing what I wanted to do most. That is until I wrote my first suspense thriller, which my agent at the time assured me would sell for seven figures. When it didn’t the agency dropped me. I was hardly discouraged. In fact I followed that script with a youthful action period piece which was immediately snapped up by a network as a series and ended up affording me the opportunity to sign with an even better agency. This eventually got me a gig writing a serious bio-pic for one of the most lauded authors of our time. Not bad for a comedy writer. Of course I still write comedies. I’ve even written a pilot for a romantic sitcom on spec recently, but not because someone was demanding it from me, but because it’s what I was driven to write. The point is a good writer will always rise to the top no matter what the genre. And while some writers do like to stick with a formula they know best, others like to stretch their talent and take chances.

The same can be said for actors, too. It’s just as difficult for Adam Sandler to be taken seriously, as it is for Meryl Streep to be seen as funny. But that hasn’t stopped them from making the effort. This brings me to this week’s interview with Juliet Landau. Lately, she’s been making that effort… and then some.

Yeah, we all know she’s famous for her role as Drusilla, the psychotic vampire on BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER and ANGEL, but she’s not just a one trick pony. In addition to being an accomplished TV & Feature Film actress, she’s also proven her worth as a voice actor and lent her talents to projects such as Ben Ten: Alien Force, Justice League and most recently Green Lantern First Flight. But that ain’t all, because Landau recently made a name for herself as the director of TAKE FLIGHT, her documentary about Gary Oldman’s music video for the band Chutzpah and for co-directing the Godhead music video HERO, which Landau also appears in.

So let’s see… she acts, she directs and now move over literary luminaries because she also writes. That’s right, Landau has become a triple threat by branching off into the comic book milieu with a two-part installment of the ANGEL series centering on Drusilla, co-written with IDW scribe Brian Lynch. So with all that in mind, I was curious how someone with her background and talent made the transition to writer so smoothly.

Jeffrey Berman: Angel #24 is the first comic you’ve ever written, so how did you approach writing the book?

Juliet Landau: I was really excited when Chris Ryall and Brian Lynch approached me to do it. I had read all of the Angel and Buffy comics. As I hung up from our initial phone call, the idea came to me. I wrote it in script form (Final Draft) and they loved it so we progressed from there. Next, I asked Chris to send me a few of the previous issues’ final scripts. I compared and studied them against the printed comics, so that I could learn the formatting, structure, number of panels per page etc…

I wanted to play with certain themes. A significant one being, order versus chaos. The doctors/the Institution think they have all of the answers, but Dru’s very existence defies that. She’s a character that cannot be reined in. I also wanted to play with the visuals, to further the story. The Institution and the people in it are cold, sterile, stark. Drusilla is the most vibrant element in each frame. Even though she is undead, she is more alive than the world surrounding her.

JB: The two issue arc centers around Drusilla. A character, it’s safe to say you’re pretty familiar with. So what did you bring to the script from an actress’ perspective?

JL: It was fantastic to revisit Drusilla. I think I brought a core emotional understanding of the character, especially in Issue 2, as Issue 1 is primarily the set-up. Dru’s history is dark and complex. I don’t think that she is often aware of what is motivating her, but I as the actress in the show, had to be. The audience made the connection, and in this case, the reader does. We all act out, based on our past (to lesser degrees, I hope!). I think it was because of having played her, that I was interested in exploring that reservoir.

JB: Before you began writing the comic book did you do any research or speak to any other writers in the industry and if so what advice did they give you?

JL: I sort of jumped in. I was working with Brian Lynch, who had written all of the previous Angel: After The Fall books. He is an incredible talent.

JB: What did you find was the most difficult part of writing the story and how did you work through it?

JL: There was a particular thing at the end that kept niggling me. I did what I do in any creative venture… I think about it relentlessly until I get the answer. I work it and re-work it mentally until I know the way I want to go. I have been branching into all kinds of creative areas. I directed Take Flight, a short documentary film about Gary Oldman (julietlandaustakeflight.com) and co-directed Godhead’s Hero music video ( HYPERLINK "http://godheadhero.com/" Godhead - The Hero Music Video). Whether acting, directing or writing, I find my creative process to be very similar.

JB: What did you learn about being a writer from this experience and do you plan on writing anything else in the near future?

JL: I loved it! Working in this medium really forces you to think visually. It is about communicating a lot economically, with visuals, not with words. I really like that anyway, in movies/theater because behavior communicates volumes. I have written a short film called “It’s Raining Cats and Cats,” in which I will play seven different characters and I adapted a piece that I worked on at the Actors Studio into a short as well. I wrote those prior to the Dru comics and I definitely look forward to writing more!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Addicted Fan

Angel vs Frankenstein Preview Pages.

RyallTime: One lives, one dies.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

One lives, one dies.

Well, neither one lives, actually--both are already dead. In October, we're doing ANGEL VS FRANKENSTEIN as a one-shot, written, penciled and inked (seems important to mention that to the people who groused about his fine pencilwork in ANGEL: BLOOD AND TRENCHES) by John Byrne and functioning as a de facto sequel to Mary Shelley's novel. So this Frankenstein's monster is based on her story and design, so he won't be green and neck-bolted. Eisner-winning colorist Ronda Pattison is coloring the issue, and some of her first pages just came through. All of them show why she won the award a couple years ago, just as Byrne's linework shows why he's again one of Wizard magazine's Top 10 "Hot Artists" (and you thought it was just because of the way he looks in a Speedo...).

Posted by Chris Ryall at 9:03 PM
Old 08-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Addicted Fan

IDW's Angel books for November.

Comics Continuum: IDW Publishing for November

ANGEL #27

Written by Brian Lynch, art by Stephen Mooney, covers by Mooney and Nick Runge.

"Boys and Their Toys," Part 2 of 2: Angel and Spike‹who is now convinced he is Angel -- are thrown into a new kind of Hell as their battle at the comic convention gets hairy. Well, Furry, at least. Brian Lynch concludes his run on Angel, paving the way for next month's all-new creative team (while Lynch hops over to the upcoming Angel Annual and a new Spike series...)

32 pages, $3.99.

ANGEL: ONLY HUMAN #4

Written by Scott Lobdell, art by David Messina and Mirco Pierfederici, covers by Messina.

Unlike Illyria, this Old One is in its original form... and the resulting battle between the two former lovers stretches from one end of Texas to the other! Ever wonder just how powerful Illyria is when she doesn't have to worry about Angel or Spike or Wesley whispering sweet restraint in her ear? Gunn turns to the only help he can find to help Illyria defeat the Old One: a very familiar... scarecrow?

32 pages, $3.99.

ANGEL: AFTER THE FALL, VOL. 2 TPB

Written by Joss Whedon and Brian Lynch, art by John Byrne, Tim Kane, David Messina, Stephen Mooney and Nick Runge, cover by Alex Garner.

First Night begins! What happened on the very night Los Angeles went straight to hell, the incident that ended the Angel television series with such a shocking cliffhanger? Why did the team go their separate ways? And how did Connor rise up to become one of Hell's greatest champions?

104 pages, $17.99.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Addicted Fan

This just hit this morning.Apparently the upcoming Bones Season 4 DVD set out on October 6 has potentially interesting news.It seems on Disk 1 of the Bones DVD is trailers for upcoming FOX releases and one of those releases is a Buffy Season 8 Comic Book Adaptation.

FOX store

Bones Season 4 DVD: Bones Season 4

and

Amazon

Amazon.com: Bones: The Complete Fourth Season: David Boreanaz, T.J. Thyne, Eric Millegan, Emily Deschanel, Michaela Conlin, Tamara Taylor: Movies & TV

Disc 1: 182 Minutes

**Forced Trailers: Buffy S8 Comic Book Adaptation, Wrong Turn 3, My Life in Ruins

I wondered whether it's just an ad for the comics but the way it's worded,it doesn't sound like it to me.

Whatever it is,it's something offically on the DVD if FOXStore also lists it.

This is something definitly to ask Scott Allie about at his next Slayalive Q/A.

He did mention this back in his July Q/A at Slayalive.

37. vampmogs: Recently we've had some talk about a Buffy Animated Series that's supposed to be happening again. Can you tell us anything about that? Were the rumours true or false?

Scott Allie: The rumors are pretty lacking in specifics, and what specifics that are out there are not accurate, but Fox does have something in the works.

He's also dropped little teases in some recent interviews that something was in the works with FOX.

There have been rumors also of a motion comic.

At least,we'll know whatever this is by the first week of October.

Last edited by comic fan; 08-21-2009 at 09:26 AM
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Addicted Fan

The full Georges Jeanty Slayalive Q/A for Buffy Season 8 #27.

SlayAlive: A Buffy Forum - *COMPLETE* Q&A with Georges Jeanty session 5

COMPLETE* Q&A with Georges Jeanty session 5

Hey all!

I wasn't going to do one this time around since Session 4 is still ongoing (I'm currently waiting on about 5 more answers), but Georges pretty much twisted my arm and said "Do it! Or I'll stop drawing!" So who am I to argue.

Anyway, rules are simple: Maximum of three (3) questions per member until your previous questions are answered. This is to account for the possibility that there may be a delay. Keep it clean, keep it civil. Simple right? Entries are welcome until I post a closing post.
To those who are still waiting for answers to their questions in the previous Q&A, those don't count and you can pretty much fire away too.

Hopefully there won't be too much of a delay this time around; he said that he should have the issue he's currently working on (#30, I think) finished by next week, and should have some time then.

Anyone who's reading this and not a member, I'm accepting questions at wenxina@slayalive.com. Feel free to send me your questions and I'll add them to the queue with credit to you.

Alright... GO!

*NOTE: Before you ask your question(s), you may wanna check back here to make sure that that they haven't been asked before.

1. faithswatcher: As far as you know:

"The prince"
"The betrayal, the closest the most unexpected"
And the identity of the Twilight.

Were these all fully known when they were first mentioned/created, or has the the way the story progressed subtlely (or not) changed the outcomes to these 'mysteries'? Has the prince become a different person, has the betrayer changed identities, has it even changed how they were to betray Buffy. etc.

Georges: Joss knew who Twilight was from the very beginning.
The Betrayer had a little more thought put into it. I'm not sure who the 'prince' is. Anything more would be telling...

2. AndrewCrossett: On the final page of #27 during Oz's speech, there's an inset panel that shows Faith, Andrew, and a red-headed girl. Is the red-headed girl Vi?

Georges: You would think Vi would be in there and Felicia Day, who I'm friendly with has asked if she's popped up, but no. A lot of times from when I've draw a page and when it gets colored it will go through a lot of changes. Unless it's a character that people should know the colorist will use her discretion, but there's no reason why Vi and all the other girls shouldn't be running around there somewhere.

3. AndrewCrossett: Another redhead question. Leah has made a lot of fans (including me) despite the fact she's only had a few lines. Her appearance and poses and action scenes have really defined her. What was the origin and inspiration behind her?

Georges: Joss had her from the beginning along with Rowena and Satsu. These were the new girls we were going to get to know in season 8. I have taken a shine to Leah too maybe that's why she's popped up more often. And, big hair. Kinda hard to miss.

4. AndrewCrossett: The Howling Commandos tribute cover for #29 is your coolest cover yet. Who's the girl in the helmet to the far left?

Georges: I really got into that cover! SO much so I even did the Logo by hand. It was a joke I was hoping we could play off at some point, and it just came together. I was really happy with the way it turned out. True, Buffy fans might not get the reference but comic fans will and that was a nice little nod I thought. The girl on the left is Rowena. Like I said, I haven't been giving her a lot of attention.

5. bamph: The Twilight reveal,when it happens,is it played as a big moment or more nonchalant and matter of factually?

Georges: I think it will be that big reveal, but from there is when the story really takes off. It will set up the ending of Season 8 and give you an idea of Season 9. It's going to be big, no question, but the story certainly won't stop there.

6. bamph: Originally,issues 31-35 was going to be the next arc written by Brad Meltzer.But now we know,Joss himself has decided to write issue 31 as a standalone with issues 32-35 being the next arc by Brad Meltzer.How much has this changed these issues and how much has this changed things on your own end approaching these issues?

Georges: I think and I don't know this for sure but because of what happens at the end of issue 30 Joss wanted to come in and do some of the story which is pretty cool. I believe it'll center around Buffy and what... happened to her. She's always been the hero of the story but I think now it'll be a little more defined in issue 31. I love that I get to work with Joss directly again. We haven't done a story together one on one since issue 11. It'll be good to get his script again. The following issue (#32) will flow from issue 31 and take up the story from there. Not much has changed on my end. I'm still doing them and look forward to them!

7. bamph: I'm reading your Manhunter co-feature in Batman:Streets Of Gotham and I've enjoyed the first two months of it.Can you compare working on two very strong female characters like Buffy Summers and Kate Spencer?

Georges: Well thanks. I really liked doing the Manhunter stuff. I wish I had the time to do all of the arcs in that Streets of Gotham book, but Buffy is a demanding mistress I couldn't keep it up. I liked the character of Kate. I think she'd darker and more ridged than Buffy. The two girls are very strong female figures but , while I don't know much about Kate's background, I think she is going to have a lot more demons in her future. I look forward to reading the rest of the story. Approaching the two I did very similar. Although since Kate now operates in Gotham I kept her story a lot darker than Buffy.

8. Ben Marston: The environments that you create in your work are amazingly detailed and compliment your character likenesses brilliantly. Are there any new places that you get to draw in the comic (don't know if this is too spoilery) or will the remainder of the series be based in Tibet.

Georges: I have looked forward to all the locations that season 8 has traveled. I have never googled so much reference in my life! It has been fun and a reason why I think I've felt the series was still fresh and new. We haven't gone back, we've moved ever forward. I can't wait to see where the next location is going to be. For the duration of Jane Espenson's arc we stay in Tibet.

9. Ben Marston: I don't know if you know this, but in reviews of the issues over the past several months, your artwork has been getting quite a bit of flak in terms of it maybe not being as strong as it was at the beginning of the series. What are your thoughts on these opinions?

Georges: I try not to read too many critics for this reason. You are never going to please everyone and I've heard all the comments and most of them come from myself. I'm the hardest one on my stuff. All I can say is that I am trying with each and every issue to give you the flavor of the show without looking photographed and stiff. I don't always succeed, but I am trying. The powers that be seem to like what I do and those are the people I have to work with so that's important to me. I am putting as much into the book now as when I first started it. I like to think that I'm always growing as an artist and in doing so that I get better. Is that the case? I think that's for others to write about.

10. Ben Marston: Is there any chance that we can get an answer (maybe with slight spoiler-age) as to why Joss decided to do a one shot as opposed to doing the 5 issue run with Brad Meltzer?

Georges: I'm not sure why Joss decided to do the one shot. I know given the subject matter that he might have wanted to pay more attention to this one issue. It's going to be a very important in the life of Miss Summers.

11. wenxina: Just saw the covers for #30, and I will first say great job! I love your more conceptual covers.
Anyway, let's talk about the scary blue demon/monster/god thing in the back. People have speculated that it could either be Palden Lhamo, or Yamantaka (both pretty similar looking to your illustration). Can you clarify what/who it is, or is that some big secret reveal that ultimately saves the day for the Slayers?

Georges: This might be a better question for Jane. There are going to be a few of these beasties showing up and I believe Jane as called upon more Tibetan history for them. They are monsters from Tibet's history. That's all I can say about that.

12. vampmogs: A while back you said that Joss told you something and you said "You can't do that!" and he said something along the lines of "Yes I can, and you'll see how." Is the thing you were referring to already happened (Buffy/Satsu ect) or is it still something yet to come? As for example, who the mole is, Twilight's reveal etc?

Georges: Yeah, it was the Buffy Satsu tryst. I was pretty floored when he told me about all that. The mole is an on going thing. He told me who he was thinking but i hope he doesn't do it.

13. faithswatcher: Will the season 8 ending be a season 3 type ending (absolute closure but chance to explore a different story)
Or season 6 ending (Setting up the next season, questions unanswered, cliffhanger gallore! curiosity as to where the story will go).
I know this might be too spolilery but i cant stand the idea that season 8 story wont have proper closure until least season 9 (hypothetically at LEAST 2 years away )

Georges: I think Season 8 will end more like what you said, like Season 3. As already stated Joss wants to do a Season 9 but I think it would come about as a result of Season 8, but there won't be cliffhangers you have to wait for. I think by the end of season 8 you are going to be wanting a Season 9 just because the book will go in a totally new direction.

14. AndrewCrossett: Am I seeing things, or is that a Sex Pistols t-shirt Giles is wearing in the preview pages for #28? (Could Ripper and Spike have slam-danced together in the same pit and never realized?)

Georges: You know I never thought of that but yeah, theoretically they could have been at a couple of punk concerts at the same time! They probably would have gotten on real well. I have always seen Giles as having that cool British exterior and that rebel interior, and everybody has one of those old shirts they like to sleep in! I'm sure I've got my Spice Girls shirt laying around here somewhere (the sad thing is I'm not kidding...)

15. AndrewCrossett: In #27 there's a panel where Oz and Bay are meditating, with Oz in his cage. Bay is framed by a sunburst image while Oz is against a background of darkness. Was that a deliberate symbolic choice?

Georges: Yeah, that was my attempt at being subliminal. I'm always thinking how best to show a scene and when I can portray visually what the story is trying to say I try and figure a way to do it. I honestly didn't think anyone would catch that. Gold star, Andrew!

16. Emmie: Two preview pages were just released for Issue 28 where Andrew knocks on Giles' door and tells him he's discovered a mole. The setting doesn't resemble what one would expect for Oz's home in Tibet. Is this perhaps a flashback?

Georges: It's my understanding that Oz and his crew have a little monastery on the edge of a hill so they would have a few rooms for guests to stay. I wanted something that looked odd but not unwelcoming. Like if you were there you wouldn't mind staying .

17. wenxina: In a recent interview with TFAW.com over at SDCC '09, you mentioned a mutual admiration between you and Juliet Landau. In fact, you guys apparently "geeked out" together for a bit, and you mentioned that you would love to do a project together, especially one with Drusilla in it. Since you draw a pretty mean Drusilla (as seen on the back cover of your second Buffy sketchbook), any chance that might happen soon-ish?

Georges: This is such a Hollywood thing to say, but we're in talks right now with Juliet's people to do something. It just has to be the right project, but yes, I would love to work with Juliet, she is one of the sweetest women you'll ever meet. There is not pretense there, with Juliet it's all love!

18. slayerette: First I just wanted to echo the fact that the Howling Commandos homage cover is amazing. It's one of my favorites for the season. Are there any plans to do more homage type covers or is the story getting too intense to allow for that sort of thing?

Georges: I love to do homage covers! Or covers that make you think of something else like movie posters or songs. I don't like to throw them out there with no apparent thread. There has to be some point to it. Having said that, yes there wil be a few more before Season 8 is over with!

19. slayerette: You said that you really paid attention to the Buffy/Giles conversation, because it was an important moment. Do you find yourself being more detail-oriented as the story progresses? In other words, with so many big emotional scenes coming up, has there been more pressure to get it perfect?

Georges: Always! Even if it's not a big scene, I strive to get it perfect. You guys may not be able to draw the comic Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but you sure know how the characters are supposed to act. You have 10 years of viewing in your collected memories so while you can't draw Buffy you damn sure know how she acts. I try and inject that into the comic with al the characters. It's really hard when it's all of the gang together because there are so many personalities to deal with. I have to watch a few episodes again from time to time just to remind me how a certain character acts. I like the emotional scenes because Buffy is nothing if not emotional so when I stage a scene I think of it as if it were being filmed. In this book I have consciously not gone for the way out angles or the extreme shots, because I wanted to create a balance between comic and TV show. I know there is no exception to have an actual show with all the actors present, hell, I'd prefer to see that myself, but in lieu of that I try to make it as 'real' as spossible without looking stiff. How successsful am I? Only you guys can say... so be kind.

20. slayerette: Your quote about Xander and the "hook-up" has been heavily scrutinized in the context of the different relationships among the Scoobies. Just for clarification (and I hope this isn't too spoilery), by hook-up do you mean a 5th grade hook-up as is make-out session or are we talking hook-up as in naked and sweaty?

Georges: I really can't say. Not that I can't tell you, but because I don't know how far Xander and.... have gone. It may just be at the first base stage or he may have hit a home run by now. I don't know. I only hope Xander is well versed in Meat Loaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" before he goes too far....

21. Ben Marston: I don't know if you have seen the cover art for issue 30? (the Adam Hughes cover *yours amazed me, a great way to finish the arc even though I don't have a clue what the demon-y thing is) Does this represent Buffy not knowing what to do without her powers and the stake is a metaphor of this? Like Buffy when she first became a slayer and not knowing what to do with it back then?

Georges: You know after I read your question I rushed right over to the Dark Horse site and checked it out. I am a huge fan of Adam's work! We were both in the same studio for a little while. I like the cover but I'm a little confused too. I don't know what the stake is for as I've already drawn that issue and there is no stake to speak of. Some times in cases like this you just gotta look at the art and get lost in its beauty not its accuracy.

22. diabeticdude202: In your last session (4) you answered a question where you said Twilight, once revealed, would be interesting to draw. I understand you can't reveal spoilers or anything like that. But does this mean you haven't drawn them before (in this season) or am I looking at this in the wrong way?

Georges: You are looking at this is the wrong way.

23. diabeticdude202: In each season of Buffy, the characters slowly change, or form into a new kind of person by the end of the season. For example, in Season 6, Buffy is coddling Dawn, but realises at the end of it, she has to show her little sister the world. Another example, would be Willow's character, on how she see's the power inside her as too much, and uncontrollable, but in the end of the season, discovers its pure, and godess-y. Or at least its not evil what is inside her. Anyway, my question is, which character will we see the biggest change in this season? And if you can't answer that, which character do you think has changed the most since the WB's series finale?

Georges: I would think that was obvious. The biggest growth and I don't mean Dawn's giant affliction for a while, would have to be Xander. He's gone from a lovable bumbling side kick to a Carpenter to a general of a Slayer army. That has to be some serous growth there. I like that Xander can become a leader and not sacrifice that fun or innocent side of him. Like with that Dracula arc I think that illustrated his growth perfectly, sadly at the sake of his love interest (but that's nothing new) but Mr. Harris has become a very well rounded desirable individual that's why I don't think it's any surprise when he and D... you almost got me there.

24. diabeticdude202: How do you get 'in the zone' of drawing a Buffy comic. Music, television, etc. ??

Georges: All of it. Except for the TV part. I can't watch and draw at the same time. I do listen to commentaries every now and then but only to something I've already seen. I listen to a lot of music, but mostly I listen to audio books. This has proven to be the best way for me to get into the 'zone'. A former studio mate of mine and some time collaborator inker extraordinaire Karl Story turned me on to it when we were in Gaijin Studios together. I owe him big time for that. I like a lot of Horror and Sci-Fi and I tend to listen to Stephen King, John Grisham, and people like that. The only problem is, I've gotten to a place where I've listened to all of them and all the unabridged books (Abridged books are a big no no for me) that these writers and the like have put out! Any suggestions?

25. girlinquestion: You once said that Joss give you the concepts for the covers. Does he do this for every cover, or only a few? From artist to artist, when he does give you the concept, are you ever nervous that you didn't correctly convey what Joss had in mind? Also, I just have to say, I absolutely adore your Buffy covers.

Georges: Well, thank you for the compliment. Joss suggests covers every now and again. It's more of a collaborative effort. Sometimes Joss or the Editorial staff or the contributing writer will suggest stuff. A lot of times if I have the the script available I'll read it and just give everyone a whole bunch of ideas and we narrow it from there. I've liked 80% of the covers I've done. Some times it's hard because Buffy has 2 covers and you don't want to cross with the other cover being done so you might have a good idea but it may already be similar to the other cover. Joss is really good about sounding off. If he doesn't like something he'll just say it or add to what he sees. Again, it's all collaberation and I love the imput of others involved.

26. Jay: How much creative control do you get when drawing the comics? Like, does it say specifically in the script (or e-mails) how the panels should look?

Georges: I have a lot of freedom on this book, and from what I'm told that's pretty strange. I can only assume that means everyone involed likes what they see and doesn't feel the need to change it. There will be times when I turn in something and I have to revise it, but it doesn't happen often. I like to think I'm pretty familar with the subject matter and the continuity that I'm ahead of the game when I have to draw tings, but no, no one says much about what panels to choose or the locations or even the clothing. I spend a lot of time on this stuff so when it's seen, people are generaly happy with it. Which in itself is a great compliment.

27. Jay: Can you pencil in a Domo doll in one of the backgrounds for a future issue? For me? Pleeeease? =)

Georges: I don't know what a Domo Doll is. Give me more info and I'll consider it.

28. Jay: If you could choose, what Angel character would you want to cross over to Season Eight just so you can draw them?

Georges: Well, speaking as a Buffy fan I would love to have Angel come over, of course! But going back to the Angel episode the "Girl In Question" I would love to have that triangle played out in our book. I mean to my knowledge, Buffy doesn't even know Spike's alive again (unless Andrew said something to her). What would Buffy do if she saw Spike again after having all that time to think about how much of a sacrafice he made? Have her feelings changed? And was that, after all, what the whole "prophecy" was about?! Was Spike the chosen one?

29. buffycomic: I noticed a similarity between skinless Warren in Buffy Season Eight and Jane Doe in your Batman: Streets of Gotham back-up feature. http://buffycomics.hellmouthcentral....doe_warren.jpg

Jane Doe's prior appearances in comics didn't show her skinless like this... Did you decide to revise her appearance to take on the same physical attributes as Warren? They'd make a great couple

Georges: Yeah, that was weird, wasn't it? I had no idea when I did that book that that would come about. I don't change the physical look of the character as we all pretty much look the same skinless. I did cheat and added breasts to Jane Doe. I didn't know the Jane Doe character and when I read that she was skinless I said wait a minute... Marc Andreyko the writer of that issue is a huge Buffy fan and is actually friends with Tom Lenk. Small world, huh? As far as a great couple I don't think I like that visual. And I think as much as they fight, Amy has her claws (pardon the pun) in Warren pretty deep.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 AM
Addicted Fan

Next week's Buffy Season 8 #28 could be MAJOR.Early review/preview of next week's issue.

Major Twist in Buffy Season 8 #28 (Spoiler Free)!

Fans of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer probably already know about Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, the comic book series from Dark Horse Comics. If not, here's the skinny: it's the official continuation of the TV series, it's canon, and it rocks, featuring writers like Jane Espenson and art from the fabulous Georges Jeanty.

I got a sneak peek of Buffy #28 today (it hits stores September 2), and let me tell you--if you haven't started reading this title yet, you're going to want to start, because there is a downright shocking development in this issue you will not want to miss! Seriously. My jaw. On the floor.

Let me back up: vampires are now the cool kids, and the Slayers are hated and feared by society. Our intrepid band of Scoobies is also being hunted by a mysterious villain named Twilight, who has teamed up with Amy, Warren, and possibly the United States Armed Forces to hunt them down.

To hide from and bypass their enemies, Buffy and company have fled to Tibet, where Oz (yes, he's back) is teaching them to let go of their magic and get in touch with the Earth. This leaves many of the Slayers--and friends--feeling especially vulnerable. Especially full of feeling. As in . . . romantic feelings.

Let's just say if you've been missing out on the lovey-dovey action, there is a shocking encounter in this issue that is witnessed by another major character--who might not be happy about this latest development. I'm serious, get this issue as soon as you can!

I think next week,we'll be seeing who Xander's hookup Georges Jeanty has been teasing for over a year is.

Xander/Dawn witnessed by Buffy?

Thought?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:24 AM
Addicted Fan

Next week's Buffy Season 8 #28 could be MAJOR.Early review/preview of next week's issue.

Fans of Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer probably already know about Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8, the comic book series from Dark Horse Comics. If not, here's the skinny: it's the official continuation of the TV series, it's canon, and it rocks, featuring writers like Jane Espenson and art from the fabulous Georges Jeanty.

I got a sneak peek of Buffy #28 today (it hits stores September 2), and let me tell you--if you haven't started reading this title yet, you're going to want to start, because there is a downright shocking development in this issue you will not want to miss! Seriously. My jaw. On the floor.

Let me back up: vampires are now the cool kids, and the Slayers are hated and feared by society. Our intrepid band of Scoobies is also being hunted by a mysterious villain named Twilight, who has teamed up with Amy, Warren, and possibly the United States Armed Forces to hunt them down.

To hide from and bypass their enemies, Buffy and company have fled to Tibet, where Oz (yes, he's back) is teaching them to let go of their magic and get in touch with the Earth. This leaves many of the Slayers--and friends--feeling especially vulnerable. Especially full of feeling. As in . . . romantic feelings.

Let's just say if you've been missing out on the lovey-dovey action, there is a shocking encounter in this issue that is witnessed by another major character--who might not be happy about this latest development. I'm serious, get this issue as soon as you can!

I think next week,we'll be seeing who Xander's hookup Georges Jeanty has been teasing for over a year is.

Xander/Dawn witnessed by Buffy?

Thought?
Old 08-28-2009, 10:06 PM
Addicted Fan

Cover For Angel #29.Part 2 of The Crown Prince Syndrome.Plus a page already revealed for #28.

RyallTime: Willing and Angel

Friday, August 28, 2009

Willing and Angel

ANGEL #28, being solicited for December release (the back cover of that month's Previews catalog will feature the ANGEL cover by Jenny Frison), is the first issue by the new ongoing creative team of Bill Willingham and Brian Denham. But since you've already seen that image, let's look ahead a month at Jenny's cover for issue 29. Which may or may not appear in the issue itself:

And a page of Brian Denham's interior art (colors by GuruFX). Just a hint of what you're in for:

Posted by Chris Ryall at 8:34 PM

Old 08-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Extreme Fan

I can't wait for Wednesday! I want more Buffy!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Addicted Fan

Buffy Season 8 #28,Retreat Part III of V is out today.

Here's the Retreat trade paperback cover.

SlayAlive: A Buffy Forum - Season 8 - Retreat TPB Cover and Info!

Blurb:
Buffy Season 8 Volume 6 showcases the first retreat of the Slayer legion. Vampires have solid footing at the top of the totem and Slayers have been crushed to the bottom - in short, no one likes Buffy anymore... least of all this season's mysterious Big Bad, Twilight, who is hot on her magical trail!
Now that it's the world against Slayers, Buffy must find a way to return the status quo to...status quo - and keep her girls alive long enough to do it! Enter Oz, the only person/werewolf Buffy knows who is down with the suppression of magic, and can take the Slayer army off of Twilight's magic-specific radar. With Oz's assistance the Slayers and Wiccans try to become "normal" through meditation and hard labor - although, not everyone sees the advantage of being magicless, namely, Willow, Giles, and Andrew. And they could be right; after all, is a peaceful life for a Slayer even possible?

KEY SELLING POINTS:

Oz appears in Buffy Season Eight!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight artist Georges Jeanty continues his acclaimed run, and Buffy creator Joss Whedon continues to oversee this award-winning series as executive producer.

The first three volumes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight have combined to sell over 220,000 copies!

On Sale: 3/1/2010
Price $15.95
Writer: Jane Espenson
Artist: Georges Jeanty, Andy Owens, Jo Chen
Page Count: 144
Publisher: Dark Horse
Old 09-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Addicted Fan

I have my copy of issue 28 now.

The issue was very good minus Andrew's Storyteller repeat(following everyone around with a camera recording things and the whole storyteller Andrew bits throughout).I realize Storyteller was Jane's episode and so she probably couldn't resist basically doing a sequel to it but I didn't care for the episode Storyteller so that as a setup for this issue wouldn't be a draw to me.

But the actual content was great.Loved the Buffy/Faith heart to heart.Just loved especially when Faith puts her arm/pats Buffy on the shoulder. Also thought Buffy's The Count T-shirt was very cute.

The Willow/Oz talk was also stellar.I loved Oz's pep talk to Willow and Oz trusting Willow with watching his son.The look on Willow's face and the tear in her eye got me when she says,"You trust me?"As well as her interaction with Kelden.

But I'm calling it right now.I think Oz and Bay are dead meat and will be killed both by the time this arc is over.And Willow will end up caring for there son,Kelden.

Also loved Buffy/Willow's heart to heart and Buffy telling Willow about killing her future self.And Willow's reaction.With her not blaming Buffy and this making her more resolved on working harder on the no magic deal,something she was having problems with throughout the issue up until her talk with Oz and now this.Always great to see Buffy/Willow hugging.

Obviously the big thing is the Buffy/Xander talk,the Xander/Dawn talk and the Xander/Dawn kiss with Buffy walking in on it.

I think it could go either way as far as this being setup for future B/X or not.I did get B/X vibes myself from Buffy's side of things.Her thinking of Xander in a romantic way.A lot will depend on what happens next issue.

I will say this.Brad Meltzer said about his arc in issues 32-35.

Metzer says he'd be exploring Xander/Buffy and showing us something that was always there, just not obvious to us.

So I can see why Bander shippers might be excited now.But I can just as easly see this not playing out this way.Again,the next issue might tell more of the tale.

In a Buffy/Xander/Dawn triangle,I would want Dawn to win not because of the idea of B/X.I would be okay with playing around with B/X depending on how it's played but because of Dawn's inferiorty complex in regards to Buffy.The episode,"Him" really showing it.I don't like a triangle involving Buffy and Dawn though to begin with since I would hate the idea of a guy coming between the two sisters.I consider the Buffy/Dawn relationship to be precious.More precious then any romantic pairing.I consider Angel/Connor the same way.

But we'll see where this is going in due time.The next two issues are going to be intense.

Will post dialog soon.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread