Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Master Fan

Buffy Comics Discussion Thread #11

Previous: Buffy Comics Thread #10 #9

The latest news:

Quote:
First Buffy S9 # 5 review.Some spoilers.

Review - Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #5 - Slayer, Interrupted | BAMFAS.com :: Entertainment*Gaming^Food-Music+Life

[i][b]Review – Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 9 #5 – Slayer, Interrupted

By Jenny– December 30, 2011

Script: Andrew Chambliss
Pencils: Karl Moline
Inks: Andy Owens
Colors: Michelle Madsen
Cover: Steve Morris
Alternate Cover: Georges Jeanty with Dexter Vines & Michelle Madsen
Created By: Joss Whedon
Published By: Dark Horse

A Zompire mob is in full effect and Buffy, with a little (very little) help from Xander and Dawn, is trying to lessen the mob as best she can. She thinks she succeeds only to find out that she has failed miserably. However, all was for naught, she’s just dreaming. Buffy’s dreams, always vivid and a bit confusing are no different this time around. As she attempts to figure out what they mean she enlists Willow’s help. The dreams (references to the first Slayer, season 8 and Disney) finally become clear(ish) and it seems that the magic conundrum is on the verge of being resolved (no, they don’t learn complicated card tricks). Willow must take her own path and as Buffy’s roommates are questioning whether they can all continue living together because of Buffy’s dangerous slaying, Buffy’s world is positively turned upside down!

This issue has the potential to set up some very interesting and very important verse changing storylines (if the big “whoa” moments are indeed real and not part of a dream or something along those lines). The dialog and art are very good and the cover is one of my favorites so far! I didn’t know how to feel about this issue when I finished reading it but as it ruminated for a while I realized I really liked it and I am super excited to see where it is going to take us. Everything is very good, albeit a little “wha?” inducing, but ultimately a strong issue.

+ read more
Quote:
Second advanced review of Buffy S9 # 5

Preview – Review! Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 #5 – Slayer Interrupted | What'cha Reading?

Preview – Review! Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 #5 – Slayer Interrupted

Posted on January 1, 2012

Writer: Andrew Chambliss
Penciller: Karl Moline
Inker: Andy Owens
Colorist: Michelle Madsen

From the Dark Horse site:

“Buffy’s dreams have become all too real lately as she deals with a magicless world. She’s still fighting creatures of the night, as Willow and Xander grow distant and nightmares plague the Slayer. But something is telling Buffy that there is more to her dreams than meets the eye . . . and that her greatest fears may yet become reality!”

When I was in grade school I used to go to my grandmother’s house a lot. I would wind up there after school when I was too young to hang out around the school where my mom was teaching after-school. It was great, she always treated me like a little prince anything and everything I liked was always at my disposal, but I also remember her need to watch her “stories”. General Hospital was, I think, her favorite. I remember being so unbelievably bored when she had that on just waiting for my chance to turn on cartoons. I remember promising myself that I would never care about stupid stuff like that.

Well friends January 11th’s Buffy has shown me that I was fooling myself if I thought I didn’t have stories of my own. Buffy was a soap opera as a tv show and has definitely remained one in comic book form. The slayer army, Xander’s inability to have a girlfriend that doesn’t get killed, Dawn’s crazy love life, Willow losing her powers, face it fans this is a soap. So obviously I must hate it, right? Well no lately I’ve been noticing the comic books I really enjoy are definitely action packed and super-heroy but they all have very character driven plots. X-Factor, X-Force, iZombie, Irredeemable, Animal Man I could go on and on.

I do have to admit that the plot had gotten a little stale towards the end of Season 8. What with the whole “Big Bad” named the same as that annoying sparkly vampire series. Also the deaths not only of Giles but of all magic as well. It had gotten depressing and I was kind of reading the title out of habit, waiting for the plot to turn.

Well wait no longer fans of the Buffyverse! It finally seems like our heroes are getting back to just that, being heroes! Last months finale to the “Freefall” four parter was a good issue, chock full of action and drama (as well as a cool cameo by Spike) but it left me wondering where they would go next. This new issue really felt like a return to the show, there was slayer lore, Buffy getting help from a “scooby” or two and some really huge reveals. No the magic has not returned to the world but our heroine is finally working on it.

Buffy’s world has always been a little angsty and emo-ish and the start of Season 9 wasn’t much different. A lot of hand wringing and it’s all my faulting. Now it seems that Buffy has been punched in the gut and told to woman up! As well as stumbling across a clue to finding out just how, if possible, to undue what she’s done. And that big reveal I mentioned? Definitely big. I’m really looking forward to seeing just what Joss and the crew have cooked up for us this time. I just hope those dark kids will be quiet while I’m enjoying my stories.

+ read more
Quote:
Buffyfest has Buffy S9 # 8 Jeanty cover.HUGE SPOILER!!!!

Buffyfest: Exclusive Madness! Major Spoiler! Variant Cover for Buffy #8.

Monday, January 2, 2012
Exclusive Madness! Major Spoiler! Variant Cover for Buffy #8.

Seriously, shield your eyes if you have an aversion to spoilers because this one's a doozy!

What a way to kick off the new year. This killer exclusive from the fine folks at Dark Horse is the retailer variant cover for Buffy #8. You've no doubt already seen the Tom Lenk cover out in the Twitterverse, but this beast is a whole different story.

We've even got a quote from Super Scott Allie!

"People are gonna assume this is a prank or a fake cover, but it's not. She really does get her arm torn off by a zompire in the middle of a big battle involving Spike and Dowling. It's not a dream, unlike much of the action in Buffy #5. Why show it on the cover? It gets to be a drag saving all the juiciest stuff for the insides, and we think that it'll still have some surprise impact when it happens."

Don't know what to say about this!

HOLY %%%% :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Last edited by fireondandelion; 01-03-2012 at 07:14 PM
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the new thread!

maybe this could be renamed to the Buffy season 9, or just generally Buffy comics discussion thread though?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM
Master Fan

Of course! I have no idea what's going on with the comics so I didn't know it was the ninth season
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Awesome, thanks!

I'd highly recommend getting into the comics, they're so much fun
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

Things I've heard about it make me laugh I remember getting the first issues though, back then any Buffy merchandise was precious
Old 01-04-2012, 07:15 AM
Addicted Fan

We're now in Buffy Season 9 which features two monthly books this time.Buffy and Angel & Faith.They'll be some miniseries too coming later in the season.Season 9 will run two years and 25 issues of the monthlies each.We're currently five issues in now on Angel & Faith and will be five issues in for Buffy come next week.Dark Horse already announced that there will be a Buffy Season 10.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsall...1325641846.jpg

Jan 3rd 2012 By: Andy Khouri

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Hellboy Commiserate in Duncan Fegredo Art [Exclusive]

It's common at this time of year to take stock of the last twelve months and reflect upon all that's changed. Monster hunters and vampire slayers are no different, as demonstrated by this delightful sketch by Duncan Fegredo. The brilliant illustrator of ComicsAlliance Best of 2011 pick Hellboy: The Storm and the Fury has depicted Joss Whedon's enduringly popular Buffy and Mike Mignola's apocalyptic hero Hellboy sharing a groan over all that befell them in 2011 (and what we know will befall them in 2012) including dismemberment and death. This exclusive art comes courtesy of Dark Horse Comics, and you can check out the full piece below.

ETA

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 6.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...eview&id=11022

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: "Angel & Faith" #6

Courtesy of Dark Horse Comics, CBR presents an exclusive preview of "Angel & Faith" #6 by Christos Gage and Rebekah Isaacs. Angel and Faith investigate Giles' past January 25th

A mysterious illness is plaguing the streets of London and turning everyday humans into emotionless killers. The Watcher's Files, which may be the key to unraveling this mystery, have led Angel and Faith to seek out a demon from Giles's past for answers. Meanwhile a peculiar friend and foe returns to London and to Angel's inner circle.

ETA 2

Third Buffy S9 # 5 review.

http://www.comicbooknerdsarehot.com/...98657819028887

Review: Buffy Season 8 #5

Tue, Jan 3 2012

Remember issue 5 of Buffy Season 8? Where Buffy has a dream where a fairy thing invades her dreams? Well the fairy is back! It seems like Joss and crew decided they were onto a winner. This time the fairy hijacks Buffy’s dreams through the First Slayer. This issue continues to establish the direction the ‘season’ is going, and the first slayer reveals to Buffy and Willow that there is a chance that magic can be restored to the world, after Buffy eradicated it at the end of season 8.

The story itself isn’t all that mind-blowing (except for the last page reveal, which was a true ‘holy crap!’ moment), but it sets up the future of the title really well. I’m really excited to see where Whedon and his crew are taking this story. Most of the issue takes place in Buffy’s dreams, something that Buffy fans are familiar with, and Steve Morris’ amazing cover reflects that perfectly – kind of a trippy, florescent tribute to the dreamscape.

As good as Georges Jeanty is, Karl Moline puts up the best art of the series thus far. His likenesses are good, but it’s the dynamic panel composition that really stands out in this issue. The action sequences are full of life, the ‘camera’ angels are interesting and the characters are believable in their movement and expression. Top notch stuff. If you’re a Buffy fan, you’re most likely reading this already, but if not, Issue #5 is a great jumping on point.

Last edited by comic fan; 01-04-2012 at 01:04 PM
Old 01-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Master Fan

TFTNT!

That younger Giles is spot on!

I tried to keep reading the S8 comics but that whole Angel twist was just the last straw for me. Angel After the Fall was going pretty well too, until they took the reboot way out, which sucked imo. So after that I quit reading it too (and afterwards, the 'angels' storyline was getting too difficult to keep up with anyways). So yeah, now I'm all for checking out the amazing cover artworks, only.

I love the Buffy Omnibus series though, those are great stories. Highly recommend it, even to people who don't normally enjoy comics!
visit Buffyverse | icon: ?

Last edited by Ace Of Hearts; 01-05-2012 at 07:01 PM
Old 01-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved those A&F #6 preview pages so much, I can't wait for the whole issue! Christos Gage mentioned on twitter that we'll get to see a bit of Giles' transformation into Ripper in the issue too, I'm excited.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Addicted Fan

Covers and solicitation for Angel & Faith # 9.

Dark Horse Exclusive: Angel & Faith #9 Covers Revealed!

Dark Horse Exclusive: Angel & Faith #9 Covers Revealed!

By Andy– January 6, 2012

Compliments of Dark Horse Comics, here is your first look at the covers to Angel & Faith #9!

“Still reeling from her father’s unexpected appearance, Faith goes rogue, taking on Drusilla and her pet demon. It’s time to burn off some anger. Angel is hot on her tail, but he may be too late to save her from Dru, and ultimately herself. Follows the events of Buffy Season 8!”

This issue’s creative team features Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover).

Look for Angel & Faith #9 in comic stores April 25, 2012, and be sure to check out more from Dark Horse Comics!

ETA

Fourth advanced Buffy S9 # 5 review.

http://www.comicbooked.com/buffy-5-sneak-review/

Buffy #5 – Sneak Review!

Posted by Nicole Sixx

** The following review while careful not to reveal any actual spoilers does tease the reader with hints. If you would like to partake of these non-spoiling hints please continue, if not the issue was excellent please feel free to purchase it from your local comic book distributor on 01/11/2011 **

Wow, okay so bomb-dropping issue and again incredibly difficult to review without too many spoilers. What I can do is set you guys up with a fairly decent overview without any direct explanations.

Issue #5, beautifully guest-penciled by Fray artist Karl Moline, is without a doubt the most feminine issue to date. It begins with Buffy finding herself facing some troubling Slayer issues within herself concerning things she can’t fully understand. As such she turns to Willow for help and they have what starts out as a heart-warming girls night as Willow tries to help Buffy reach inside herself to find the answers she seeks. The answers she finds are even bigger than herself.

Not only that, but Buffy finds herself with even more questions at the end of her and Willow’s evening, questions that as Buffy starts to answer them by the end of this issue leave us with more questions than we could ever imagine going into it. This one’s a game changer folks, BIG time.

Not sure what this means for the series. I was enjoying this series so much because I found it massively relatable as a 20-something. Where Buffy’s going in this next chapter is a stage I can’t cross yet and worry about Buffy crossing on her own when she has so many other issues in her life. Seed troubles, villain troubles, and perhaps most troubling serious financial troubles only aided by something else that happens as a mere footnote in this issue. It’ll be interesting to see how the writing staff handles something that ends up with most people using the various and kind government funded programs average Americans in her situation typically find themselves using.

Like I said, this episode is about women… and this is the worst possible time in a woman’s life to be alone. Not to mention… well, knowing the Whedonverse, it’s probably going to bring about the next apocalypse.

That's just screaming pregnancy to me.

ETA

Quote from the issue.

https://twitter.com/#!/nicolesixx_/s...75794406653952

@nicolesixx_ Nicole Sixx
"Don't you think about anything besides boys and clothes?" "... Saving the world from vampires??" #hee

ETA 2

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...7354#post87354

I just tweeted Nikki Sixx if a certain character was in issue 5, so if you're interested in who, read on.... Also, something spoilery about said character. You've been warned:

Spoiler!

I asked her, does Spike make an appearance in issue 5 and here's the reply: @nicolesixx_: @lisatwingomez Nope. But don't worry, he'll be on everyone's mind after the end of this one! (@DarkHorseComics )

Last edited by comic fan; 01-07-2012 at 09:32 AM
Old 01-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Hmm,Wenxina has just made this post at Slayalive.It seems TPTB asked Wenxina not to link to Nikki Sixx's review and the review itself has been pulled meaning Nikki Sixx was probably contacted by Dark Horse to remove it.Also Nikki Sixx's tweet about Spike has been removed too.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 9 #5: "Slayer, Interrupted" - Page 4

ETA: I was just asked to not link to that review by some of the PtB. And I checked the link just before removing it, and I noticed that the review has also been taken down.

I'm guessing the review and tweet were too spoilery for Dark Horse?The first tweet with the issue quote is still up.

ETA

This quote from issue 5,which again wasn't pulled like the review and Spike tweet.

@nicolesixx_ Nicole Sixx
"Don't you think about anything besides boys and clothes?" "... Saving the world from vampires??" #hee

This seems to be still up.Since I read that quote,I swear to god that it sounded famillar to me and now I know why.Those exact lines were exchanged between Buffy and her mom in the season 2 episode,"Bad Eggs."

http://www.buffyworld.com/buffy/tran.../024_tran.html

Buffy: Oh, bliss. (sits) Mall food. (looks up)

Joyce: Buffy?

Buffy: (attentive) Mom?

Joyce: Where's my dress?

Buffy: (confused) Your dr...? Oh. (winces) Oh, God.

Joyce: Let me guess: you were distracted by a boy.

Buffy: (cringes) Technically.

Joyce: (leans back) Buffy...

Buffy: (exhales) Look, I-I can go get it right now.

Joyce: They're closed. I'll just have to fit it in tomorrow.

Buffy: Sorry.

Joyce: (sternly) A little responsibility is all I ask.Honestly,don't
you ever think about anything besides boys and clothes?

Buffy: Saving the world from vampires?

Joyce: (crosses her arms and shakes her head) I swear, sometimes I
don't know what goes on in your head.

Buffy just looks back at her.

Last edited by comic fan; 01-08-2012 at 05:11 AM
Old 01-08-2012, 05:39 AM
Master Fan

Thanks for the news!

Quote:
ETA: I was just asked to not link to that review by some of the PtB. And I checked the link just before removing it, and I noticed that the review has also been taken down.
Sometimes the sources don't want everything on the page to be posted on somewhere else, even when you cite the source. When that happens just post an excerpt instead!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_aprilpie (View Post)
Thanks for the news!

Sometimes the sources don't want everything on the page to be posted on somewhere else, even when you cite the source. When that happens just post an excerpt instead!
Follow up to the pulled review from nicolesixx and tweet.

https://twitter.com/#!/nicolesixx_

nicolesixx_Nicole Sixx

@lisatwingomez Hey, heads up. I pulled my piece so I can write a better one when there aren't so many crazy rumors flying around.
9 hours ago

nicolesixx_Nicole Sixx

@lisatwingomez As for the quote, it came from Bad Eggs. Which I was watching on Chiller w/ Buddy the kitty. Pure coincidence. #shrug
10 hours ago

nicolesixx_Nicole Sixx

Btw, if anyone has posted my old #Buffy review somewhere please scrap it. Wednesday's will be #much better and less conflicted by rumor.
9 hours ago

So the it sounds like the "Bad Eggs" quote isn't from the issue if I'm understanding right?She was watching the episode.

ETA

Angel & Faith artist Rebekah Isaacs interview.

http://themonsterpopcorn.com/2012/01...ebekah-isaacs/

100th Post! My Interview With Comic Artist Rebekah Isaacs!

Welcome to Monster Popcorn’s 100th post!! I’m incredibly excited to have made it this far and wanted to do something a little special in honor of this milestone. I racked my brain for various ideas and finally landed on one that I would be really excited to do. Fortunately, my idea came to fruition and I was able to chat with Angel & Faith comic book artist Rebekah Isaacs last night! I wanted to find out information about her work on Angel & Faith but also what makes her tick as a geek herself. She was gracious enough to lend me some of her time and talk about the comic, her process, as well as the movies, TV shows, comics and video games that she enjoys! I had a blast talking with her and really hope you enjoy our conversation as well. And don’t forget, if you haven’t done so yet, follow me on Twitter @monsterpopcorn or head over to the facebook page and “like” it to get more updates and news or if you just want to discuss movies, tv or comics!

For the uninitiated, Rebekah Isaacs is a very talented comics illustrator that has worked on such titles as The Twilight Zone, Hack/Slash, Drafted, Sheena, Ms. Marvel, Captain America & Falcon and DMZ. She’s worked with Brian Wood on the DV8: Gods and Monsters miniseries and is a co-creator of Magus from 12 Gauge Comics with Jon Price. She now works under Scott Allie and Joss Whedon on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season 9: Angel & Faith, with Christos Gage doing the script work.

Enjoy!

Rebekah Isaacs: Hi Ben!

Monster Popcorn: Hello Rebekah! How’s your night going?

RI: Not bad, how’s yours?

MP: It’s going well. I actually just got done reading the first four parts of DV8 and now I’m talking to the artist, so I’m doing quite well!

RI: Hah, awesome!

MP: Thank you for taking the time to chat with me.

RI: Of course. I hope you’re enjoying DV8.. are you reading the trade?

MP: Yes, I picked up the trade last night at my comic shop. I am enjoying it actually, so far it’s pretty interesting and I want to find out why and how the characters got to where they are. So I had read you moved to Orlando. Are you all settled in now?

RI: Phew, yeah, FINALLY. We had to get rid of almost everything because you basically have to make a blood offering to leave NY so it took a while.

MP: Haha.

RI: But i’ve got a really nice set-up here, which is great. My studio was so ghetto in NYC.

MP: Well I’m glad you are able to have a nicer set up now. I’m sure that makes for better working conditions.

RI: Definitely. But on the downside (for Dark Horse at least) I have more money for .. duhn duhn duhn… VIDEO GAMES.

MP: Haha.. so was the move the main reason as to Phil Noto doing the fill in issue on Angel & Faith #5?

RI: No, just general catch-up on the whole team’s part… I think we got started on the book a little later than they would’ve liked. It’s inevitable.

MP: I imagine so.. about how long does it take for you to complete an issue?

RI: 5 weeks. 2.5 weeks for pencils and 2.5 for inks.

MP: Oh ok, cool, I wasn’t sure if you were still doing inks or not. What issue are you currently drawing right now?

RI: Haha yeah, if you noticed a change in quality it’s only me to blame. I had a few hiccups with some of my preferred tools on the more recent issues but I think I’ve figured them out now but I’m finishing up #9 this week.

MP: I think you’ve done a great job, I’m continually impressed with your work.

RI: Thanks, I really appreciate that! I’m actually inking Drusilla clawing Faith right now. Catfight!!

MP: Haha.. yes! That sounds awesome! I know that in the upcoming issues, or at least in #6, we get to see a younger Giles. Did you have any difficulty drawing the likeness of a younger Anthony Stewart Head?

RI: Giles was hands down the easiest likeness for me… I don’t know why though! I think he must have similar features to the “default” way I draw faces and when i think about it, the shape of his nose is kind of similar to mine (my default faces look a bit like me, for better or worse).

MP: I saw some of the preview pages and I think you got it down quite well. Who is/was the hardest to draw?

RI: Faith was hell for the first month or two. I had a tendency to make her too dainty and pretty in a light way. She has a darkness to her expressions that I wasn’t quite grasping.

MP: That actually is a great segue for me.. One of the things I like about your work is how well the likenesses come through without ever feeling like you are being a slave to the original actor. It allows for your style to breathe but satisfies the die-hard fans. Part of that is not just facial similarity but expressions and body language.. is that something you pay attention to a lot?

RI: Yeah, expressions are something I really try to capture, because every person emotes differently. In DV8, for example, i could get away with using my own acting as reference for the characters’ expressions but I couldn’t get away with that in a book based on live-action characters. Faith expresses anger in a different way than I would and in a different way than Angel would. It was just a matter of studying stills.

MP: Exactly, and that is something I really picked up on. I felt like I was being given an impression of the character in all aspects, which helps a lot with trying to feel like it is a continuation of something that was previously live action.

RI: Thanks, I’m really happy that readers are picking up on that!

MP: I also really enjoy the way you handle action. I liked Phil Noto’s work in issue #5 but felt like the action wasn’t as dynamic as it’s been with your issues. Each panel you draw is essentially a still frame but I definitely get a sense of motion from your work and, in my cinematic brain, I can see it play out in between the panels. I was wondering how you approach drawing action?

RI: Haha, I wish I had a better, more academic answer for this question but I don’t really think about what I’m doing with action scenes, it just kinda happens. The two things that I usually am conscious of is drawing the eye to the lower-right corner of each panel, which increases the reading speed and therefore creates the illusion of a quicker pace, and the inclusion of clothing or hairstyles or props that can move easily with the action. Wait… so I guess I do kinda think about it, but not to the degree that some other artists seem to. And it’s weird, because action used to be one of my weakest points but I wanted to be good at it so I kept forcing projects that featured a lot of action on myself.

MP: Well it appears to have worked! I’d say the action is definitely one of your strong points in Angel & Faith, that and conveying emotion.

RI: Thanks!

MP: Are you given a lot of liberty with Christos’ scripts as far as design and page layout? Is he very specific in his descriptions or does he give you a lot of room to work within?

RI: No, I’m really not given any guidelines for layout… which may be a good or bad thing because that’s one thing I’m often criticized on; my plain jane panel layouts. But I was always taught in school to not mess around with fancy panel designs until you’ve got everything else on the page down pat… and I’ve got at least a few more years to go before I’ll feel like an expert! I’m also a big admirer of what Dave Gibbons was able to do in Watchmen with such amazingly simple layouts. That was one of the first American comics I read and I will always hold it in high regard. If it’s good enough for Watchmen, it’s good enough for me!

MP: Yea, Gibbons work was simple but highly effective. So who are your influences? What made you want to go into comics as an artist?

RI: Well, besides a handful of Barbie comics as a child, my first forays in comics reading were in manga, so I started out with a very manga-influenced style.

MP: I never latched onto Barbie haha.

RI: Hahaha you missed out on so much great fashion advice!

MP: I know! I could have been a better dresser!

RI: When I started reading American comics in college, I became obsessed with Steve McNiven and Josh Middleton.

MP: Yea, McNiven’s work is just pure joy to look at. So what are you reading now that excites you?

RI: Unfortunately I don’t get much time to read comics these days but I’m so freakin’ obsessed with Locke & Key, it’s driving me nuts. I’ll be honest, I never really read a comic monthly for a long period of time until I discovered Locke &Key. I mostly just read the first one or two issues and then trade-waited. Having gotten in so deep with this series now, though, waiting and waiting and waiting for each issue to come out, I don’t know how people do this!! It’s excruciating!

MP: It is excruciating, I personally like to read it all at once but with both Buffy and Angel & Faith, it’s a necessity for me to read every month!

RI: Yeah, i feel for ya. With a few of these issues I’ve finished drawing I’ve thought, ‘Man, if I didn’t know what was coming next I’d be tearing my hair out right now.’

MP: Haha.. I’ve not read Locke & Key but have been toying with buying some of the trades. I love the horror genre and I’ve been wanting to read a good horror comic.

RI: Oh, it’s amazing. it was so completely invigorating for me, finally picking up that book. As cheesy as it sounds, I feel like it gave me new purpose as an artist and just a storyteller in general.

MP: That’s how I felt about Buffy as a show. It came to me at a time where I needed a pick me up and it showed how much someone like Joss Whedon (and staff) can affect you and really invigorate you as a person.

RI: Yes, definitely.

MP: I’m sure you get asked this a lot, but do you have a favorite episode/character from Angel (and/or Buffy)?

RI: Character would be Giles (so lucky that I get to draw him, but so unlucky in that I’m the first one to draw him in flashbacks only!) Episodes… I love episodes that make me cry. I’m pretty cynical when it comes to entertainment and if a show/movie/book makes me cry, I have deepest respect for those writers.

MP: Haha.. I’m the same way. My favorite episode, at least from Angel, is A Hole In the World.. it’s so sad but so fricking good!

RI: Oh yeah, A Hole In the World is a knife to the heart! So The Body in Buffy, and the one where you find out that Cordy has died in her coma is one of my Angel faves (I can never remember the name!). Remember Me? I think is the name?

MP: Yea, that could be it. (Editor’s note: The episode is You’re Welcome) The Body is really good, definitely one of my top episodes in Buffy. A Hole In The World made me so happy at the beginning of the episode and then I was crying at the end. I was like “damn you Joss Whedon” but I love it!

RI: That’s one of my favorite things about Joss. He cares enough about the characters to take huge, huge risks with them, which sounds weird when the risk may be to kill them off, but if everything always went well for them and they always managed to get out of the jam at the last moment unscathed, they’d never grow or change and we’d never really realize how much they mean to us.

MP: Yea, that’s is one of the reasons why I like Whedon’s work. There is such great impact. I like that he takes those risks even if it might piss people off. It’s something I respect incredibly and it makes every character feel like they could be in danger. It keeps you on your toes. What other tv series are you a fan of?

RI: Oh TV… what am I not watching. My favorite show at the moment is Breaking Bad.

MP: I haven’t seen that yet! I own 3 seasons of it though!

RI: Wow, get on it! You will hate everyone who ever recommended it to you, though, because you will literally not be able to stop watching it.

MP: It’s probably going to be my next show to watch. I’m currently watching Rome.

RI: Oh, i haven’t tried Rome actually. How is it?

MP: It’s not bad so far.. I’m still on the first season but it’s something I didn’t think would capture my interest but it’s definitely holding it. It’s intriguing thus far, I’m curious to see how it all plays out.

RI: Hmm… i’ll have to check it out.

MP: Have you seen Homeland?

RI: No, it sounds awesome though!

MP: Holy crap, it is awesome. It may just be my favorite show currently. It’s so gripping and you just get sucked in!

RI: I love shows like that, the ones that destroy your life!!

MP: I know.. you lose sleep over it but you are like, it’s worth it haha.

RI: I really love Dexter and Battlestar Galactica and Veronica Mars too but a lot of my favorite shows are comedies.

MP: I love Dexter, BSG and Veronica Mars as well. I think I’ve seen BSG and Veronica Mars twice all the way through. I miss Veronica Mars.

RI: I know… what a bummer. I keep hoping that Scott* will push for a comics series. He’s a big fan too.

MP: I’ll have to harass him on Twitter with a Veronica Mars campaign!

RI: Please do! Honestly, though, I’m trying to cut down on my TV time to make more time for video games, though! Which sounds like a pretty backward plan but barring Star Wars, they were my first nerdy passion and I think a big part of why I wanted to tell stories in a visual medium. They inspired me a lot but I’m really behind on my titles so I’m trying to get back into playing them more as a kind of career research!

MP: Do you think you’d like to work in the video game industry in some capacity?

RI: As a part-time thing someday perhaps, but I also really love the independence and control that working as a comics illustrator gives you.

MP: What kind of video games do you like to play? What console(s) do you have?

RI: Mostly RPGs. We have PS2, Wii, XBox360 and I just got a DS which is amazing because almost every jRPG developer moved to that system when it because too costly to make their games on the next-gen consoles.

MP: Have you played what is apparently the greatest game to ever exist, Skyrim?

RI: I haven’t played Skyrim… I’m gonna have to give it a try but I just couldn’t get in to some of Bethesda’s other RPGs. I’m more into the Japanese model which emphasizes story and characters over combat. Not that one is better than the either, it’s just a personal preference. Are you playing it?

MP: I haven’t played Skyrim myself but everyone talks so highly of it. I’m about to embark on Batman: Arkham City.

RI: Oh man, now that looks badass! I can’t wait to play it.

MP: It really does! I just got done with Arkham Asylum before Christmas and it was a really fun game and I hear that Arkham City is just so much more!

RI: One thing that does get me excited is that there are starting to be some comics tie-ins with video game franchises that are actually pretty good. I think that’s gonna be a big thing soon, because games are becoming so immersive but they’ll always be a bit limited in their ability to tell a really long-form story.

MP: I dream of a Buffy or Angel game that doesn’t suck. I don’t hold out high hopes for it, but that would be a dream game for me if done well.

RI: Oh man, that would be amazing. I’d like to see the budget that would’ve been for that awful movie reboot** go to that!

MP: Exactly! I’m glad that failed. What are some of your favorite movies? Being that I’m a huge movie buff, I must know haha.

RI: Empire Strikes Back is my favorite, hands down. Labyrinth is way up there but it loses points because it’s got some pretty serious flaws despite having David Bowie’s package at its disposal.

MP: Haha.

RI: But it got me through some rough times in my adolescence so it’ll always get high marks from me. Blade Runner and The Game are another two I could watch on loop.

MP: I’m a big fan of David Fincher.

RI: Yeah, he’s amazing. The Game is kind of a random one on a Top 10 list, I guess, but it was randomly playing in the background at my sister’s house when we went to visit and I remember being so creeped out just by the lighting… it was the first time that I really saw cinematography as a separate art form, and understood how much changing the visual mood could affect the story. I was 15 maybe, though, so at the time I was just creeped the hell out.

MP: Yea, I know that for some The Game is one of their lesser favorites of Fincher, but I really dig it. It really is such a great visual mood kind of movie. But then again, he’s so well known for his excellent cinematography in his films. Seven is another one where the cinematography just oozed with so much atmosphere that it really affected you on some level.

RI: Yeah, I guess it depends a lot on which one you see first.

MP: Did you have any favorite movies that were released in 2011?

RI: Oh man, haha, I don’t even remember what I did last year! Rise of the Planet of the Apes was so amazing though. How could I forget that one.

MP: Oh I loved that.. Andy Serkis as Caesar may be my favorite performance of the year. The guy is crazy talented.

RI: Yeah, I’m sure he must’ve seemed like a madman before he made it big, but having absolutely zero inhibitions as an actor has paid off now!

MP: Exactly! Well, if you haven’t seen them, I’d recommend seeing Midnight in Paris, Beginners and The Muppets (which literally had me smiling as I walked out of the theater).

RI: Thanks, I was really on the fence about whether to see The Muppets, and I don’t know anyone who’s seen it. I’ll definitely see it now.

MP: It’s just a really great feel good movie.

RI: Let’s see if it can crack my heart of stone :-)

MP: Haha.. it worked on me, so there’s a good chance! So to wrap up, do you have any projects you might be working on alongside or in between Angel & Faith? Do you have intentions of going to Comic Con?

RI: My side project is sleeping for probably the next year, but I will be going to several cons this year, just not Comic Con. I’ll be hitting up MegaCon, WonderCon, Denver ComicCon, and Boston ComicCon for sure, possibly others. It’s gonna be a nutso year. You’re going to SDCC, I assume? I just can’t do that show, it’s too much.

MP: I’m going as long as I can get a ticket. But yea, the show is overwhelming but I love it. I love being around all the geeky people. It feels like home. Well, hopefully I will get the chance to attend a convention that you will be at and stop by your booth to see how things are going.

RI: I hope so too! It would be great to chat in person!

MP: Yes it would! I really do appreciate you sitting down to talk with me. It means a lot and I’m looking forward to posting my 100th post!

RI: No problem at all! I enjoyed it! And congrats on your 100th post! I hope you continue to enjoy Angel & Faith, and maybe we’ll get to meet in real-life sometime this year!

MP: Thank you! If you keep up the incredible work, I will no doubt continue to enjoy it (just make sure that Gage guy keeps up his end too! haha).

RI: You got it! Take care and have a great night!

MP: You too! Have a great night!

*Scott Allie, editor of Dark Horse comics

**A movie reboot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was being pursued without Whedon’s involvement but has ceased development currently.

So there you have it, my conversation with Rebekah Isaacs! I probably could have split it up into a couple posts but seeing as how this is the 100th post, I wanted to encapsulate the entirety here! Below I’ve provided some examples of her work on Angel & Faith which you can find more of at her site http://rebekahisaacs.com/. You can also follow her on twitter at @rebekahisaacs. If you like her artwork, head over to Cadence Comic Art where you can buy original pages of her work!

ETA 2

Fifth Advanced Buffy S9 # 5 review.

http://justaboutcomics.wordpress.com...pire-slayer-9/

REVIEW: Buffy, The Vampire Slayer #9

Posted by Chris Partin ⋅ January 8, 2012

Slayer, Interrupted

Script: Andrew Chambliss
Pencils: Karl Moline
Inks: Andy Owens
Colors: Michelle Madsen
Letters: Richard Starkings and Comicraft’s Jimmy Betancourt

“You art not the Slayer!”

Buffy, The Vampire Slayer continues to be one of those books that I’m surprised I’m reading. I’ve stated a number of times that I have never watched a full episode of the television series and really was not a fan of the movie (but who was, really). I have found myself reading the comic book series off and on, but even that has been a bit of a struggle for me because it is always on that outside ring of titles that I know I’ll drop once cash gets tight and I need to cut back. But not this time. Here we are, five issues in to Season 9 and I’m as enthralled about this issue as I was the first issue of the series, if not more.

This issue is where I feel the heart of Season 9 really starts. The first four issues were more about everyone getting their feet on some sort of solid ground after the events of Season 8. While some “stuff” happened, this issue is really where we start moving forward and seeing a longer story being developed, and I really want to see where things play out.

Andrew Chambliss hits the ground running with this issue and you know what’s happening has to be a dream, but still there’s a sense of excitement and wonder of what will happen and if what happened really happened – even if for a split moment. Chambliss moves further in to the issue and into things that long time Buffy fans may have a better idea of what is happening, but I never feel lost or like I’m someone on the outside looking in. Chambliss explains things well enough and quickly enough that I never felt taken out of the story, or overwhelmed with narration. It was just right.

Karl Moline, Andy Owens, and Michelle Madsen do a really good job with this issue’s art chores. When you’re working with characters that are base off of real people you’re always wondering how photo realistic will the art be in the book. Moline really doesn’t over render anyone. You know who the characters are because of the character – not the actors, and you move on. The art in this issue is solid and the whole art team really compliments one another well.

The ending of this issue really has me wanting more, as I’m sure it does for everyone who reads it. I want a book to pull me in, make me care about the characters, and then do something to them that makes me want to know what’s next. Chambliss does that so well with this issue and I’m on board for a long time to come. If you’ve been curious about this book, jump in with this issue and give it a shot!

Story: 4 out of 5 | Art: 4 out of 5 | Overall: 4 out of 5

Last edited by comic fan; 01-09-2012 at 11:26 AM
Old 01-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the news!
Old 01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Addicted Fan

Another tease for tomorrow's Buffy S9 # 5.

Comic Books: Buy, Sell, Trade, Consign, Collect | mycomicshop.com

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Season 9) #5

The First Slayer has a message for Buffy but she’s having a hard time giving it to her. Can Willow help? And get ready for a last page surprise Buffy fans won’t soon forget.

ETA

The Full April 2012 Sollictation now with Buffy S9 # 8

http://www.comiclist.com/index.php/l...ions#more15971

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 9 #8

Andrew Chambliss (W), Cliff Richards (P), Andy Owens (I), Michelle Madsen (C), Phil Noto (Cover), and Georges Jeanty (Variant cover)

On sale Apr 11
FC, 40 pages
$2.99
Ongoing

There is something seriously wrong with Buffy! She and Spike discover that the one person who can help her is actually . . . Andrew? Buffy's situation becomes even more dire as she discovers that Simone, the Slayer with an enormous grudge, has been targeting her.

* Buffy, the one-armed Slayer of San Francisco!
* Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

ANGEL & FAITH #9

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale Apr 25
FC, 32 pages
$2.99
Ongoing

Still reeling from her father's unexpected appearance, Faith goes rogue, taking on Drusilla and her pet demon. It's time to burn off some anger. Angel is hot on her tail, but he may be too late to save her from Dru, and ultimately herself.

* Follows the events of Buffy Season 8!

ANGEL & FAITH VOLUME 1: LIVE THROUGH THIS TP

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A), Dan Jackson (C), Phil Noto (A), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale June 20
FC, 136 pages
$17.99
TP, 7" x 10"

Angel has made bad choices in his life. Most recently? While possessed, he killed Giles. However, he believes he's found a way to make amends, by bringing the Watcher back from the grave! Cue Faith—rebel Slayer, and Angel's only ally—who only supports this harebrained scheme in order to keep her friend from catatonia. New threats emerge as this unlikely duo struggles against real and personal demons alike, while hitting the dark streets of London! Collects Angel & Faith #1–#5, plus the Harmony one-shot.

ETA 2

Here's the Angel & Faith Vol 1 TPB cover from Zianna at Slayalive.

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...7648#post87648

Last edited by comic fan; 01-11-2012 at 01:14 AM
Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Addicted Fan

I'm starting a new post for this.I'll be adding to it over the day if nobody posts after me.

First Spoilers for Buffy S9 # 5 are out.The issue is out on digital.I'm going by spoilers at Buffyforums from ones who have now read the issue.

It's offical,Buffy's pregnant.

Also,it sounds like Willow leaves taking the Scythe with her to try and bring back magic.

Now we know why Scott was so taken aback when people brought up the speculation about Buffy being pregnant before issue 1 came out.I think he was surprised so many figured out the big reveal months ago.I still think releasing the issue 8 spoiler last week was to try and buy back a little surprise and try and divert attention away from all the pregnancy speculation beofre today's issue came out.

ETA

Here's a full summery of the issue from Maggie at Buffy forums.

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...197#post601197

OK, I'm not much on recaps/summaries, but here goes:

We open with the scene from the preview pages. On the next page, Xander and Dawn get dusted by the first slayer. She says to Buffy "you are not the slayer". Buffy charges at her for dusting Dawn and Xander, and Sineya punches her in the gut. Buffy wakes up nauseated. Buffy thinks that's because of the dream...

She tells Willow about it. Willow suggests that Buffy talk to another slayer. Buffy says the only one who is sort of a friend is Kennedy, but Kennedy has a grudge. Buffy tells Willow about the first slayer telling her she's not the slayer and says even the first slayer is getting grudgey.

Buffy wonders if she's being told she's losing her powers. Willow says that's not it. Buffy thinks whatever the first slayer is trying to tell her it must be important. If it weren't Sineya wouldn't have killed Xander and Dawn in her dream to get her attention. Willow suggests that Buffy look in the book Giles gave her.

Buffy pulls the book out of a box that also contains the broken scythe. Buffy says she really misses Giles. Apparently she falls asleep while reading because we get a voice bubble saying "you are not the slayer". It's the first slayer. Buffy asks her what she's trying to tell her. Sineya runs off and Buffy follows. They end up in an apocalypse landscape with the first slayer pointing. There are a bunch of zompires surrounding a pile of rubble on which is perched the broken scythe. Buffy says "but it's broken". The first slayer tells her that only the slayer can pull it out, and repeats "you are not the slayer". Buffy says this makes no sense, and wants to know why the first slayer is so chatty. Buffy launches an attack on Sineya, who is then replaced by the faerie.

Buffy goes to talk to Willow, telling her that someone is hijacking her dreams. They are slayer dreams, but someone is intruding (the faerie). Buffy thinks it's the faerie who is telling her that she's not the slayer. Willow says the only way to figure out what is going on is for Buffy to get her sleep on.

Willow sets up to watch while Buffy sleeps. There's some bonding in which Buffy says she misses hanging with her bestie. Willow says "I didn't know if we were still using that qualifier", but has a soft expression. Buffy goes to sleep.

The faerie comes and says she lays dream eggs in people's ears, but now with the seed smashed, she has to hitch hike on other people's dreams. She came in with the first slayer. The faerie tells Buffy to follow the first slayer. Before Buffy does that the faerie says she came to punish Buffy because she thought she was impersonating the real Buffy (from the Chain). She's found out that it was the other way around. So she gave up the plan to punish Buffy, but intruded on the dream because she discovered something Buffy needed to know. Before she tells Buffy what that is, she sends Buffy off to learn what she needs to learn from the first slayer.

They go back to the apocalypse landscape. Buffy thinks that the first slayer wants Buffy to know that everything that happened since she destroyed the seed is her fault. The faerie says that's not it. It's not about self-pity. It's barely about Buffy. The faeries says that Sineya wants her to undo what she did. She can do that by unlocking the key. Buffy charges up for the scythe, but she can't budge it from the top of the rubble. The faerie tells her it's not for Buffy.

It's for Willow. Willow appears in Buffy's dream and takes the scythe. Willow tells Buffy the scythe is the key to restoring magic to the world. She's going to go on a long trip with the scythe. Buffy doesn't want her to leave, things are getting better, Buffy needs Willow. Willow says "if you love something.. set it free."

So they say goodbye. The faerie comes up and tells Buffy that the first slayer is satisfied.

Buffy wants to know what the faerie wanted to tell her. The faerie says that Buffy isn't the slayer. "The slayer's a part of you. But you're not a girl anymore." Buffy wishes the faerie would say what she means. Buffy wants to wake up now because she knows what she needs to do, and thinks Willow will be glad to hear that the world isn't supposed to be magically impaired. The faerie tells her she doesn't have to tell Willow, because Willow was in the dream.

Buffy wakes up and Willow is gone. Willow has taken the broken scythe and left a note, signed "love you". Buffy runs out into the street to try to catch her saying she wouldn't have minded a double good-bye, "but I can handle this. Because the faerie was right. I'm not a girl anymore." Buffy is sitting on the curb clutching her stomach (as she was doing when she woke from her first dream.)

She's all nauseous. We then see her returning to her apartment with a bag. Her roomies want to talk about her being the slayer. Buffy heads into the bathroom, and talks about how her roommates are scared of her, but that's OK, she's scared too. Last panel is the positive pregnancy test.

So, Giles has been acknowledged. Nicely done, I think.

The faerie can't have engineered the pregnancy because she only found out about it when she entered Buffy's dream.

Presumably Buffy knows she's had sex, because otherwise she'd not have so quickly figured out what it means that she's not a girl anymore.

It's interesting and scary that there's a connection between the refrain of "you are not the slayer" and Buffy being pregnant. It'll be interesting to see how they develop that.

Great Willow/Buffy interaction. Super-interesting that the broken scythe is now for Willow, and that in one sense she is the slayer.

At the end of the letter column, Allie says: "I imagine this issue of Buffy will leave fans talking, and some of it is gonna be unhappy. Next issue might be even more upsetting, but we are staying true to our mission of getting in really deep with the characters, while telling fun action-adventure stories."

ETA 2

Here's the final page of the issue.

http://temporarilyobsessive.tumblr.c...-under-the-cut

Final page of the issue under the cut:

Scott Allie confirms via twitter that they were caught off guard that so many figured out Buffy was pregnant months before this issue.

https://twitter.com/#!/ScottAllie

lexiingramLexi Ingram

@Zamol_xis @AndrewChambliss @KabaLounge @DarkHorseComics @ScottAllie I'm in shock that fandom was right for once!
1 hour ago

ScottAllieScott Allie

@lexiingram @Zamol_xis @AndrewChambliss @KabaLounge @DarkHorseComics No more shocked than we were that you called it.
1 hour ago

ETA 3

Second summary from zianna at Slayalive

http://slayalive.com/showthread.php/...7663#post87663

OK, here's the summary

The issue begins with Buffy, Xander and Dawn being chased by zompires. They run into Buffy's apartment, Dawn opens the door while Buffy fights the vampires and holds them back. Once inside, Buffy believes they're safe only to find out that Xander and Dawn are too zompires and they attack her. She gets saved by the First slayer though, who dusts Xander and Dawn. Buffy mad at her for killing her sister and her best friend, she attacks the First slayer only to be punched in her gut and wake up running to the toiler to throw up.

She later meets Willow and she tells her about her dream mentioning that it was the first time that she actually "felt" a slayer's dream. Willow asks her if she had talked to other slayers to fing out whether they've been having the same kind of dreams but Buffy tells her that she is not close to the other slayers anymore, the closest to her is Kennedy and well, she is not in good terms with her either because she feels that Buffy is responsible for losing Willow. Buffy says that the First slayer told her that she is not the slayer anymore and she wonders if that means that she'll lose her powers now that the seed is broken. Willow rejects that since Buffy's powers come from inside of her, she suggests that she should consult Giles' book and they break up to go to their jobs.

When Buffy gets home, she opens her chest where she hides her weapons but also the broken scythe and she takes the Vampyr book that Giles left her. She lights a candle and stars reading remembering Giles and how much she misses him, only to fall asleep again and her the First slayer telling her again that she is not the slayer. She follows her trying to understand what the First slayer wants to tell her. They end up in some kind of city dump where on top of a hill of garbages lies the broken scythe stuck in a stone. On the bottom of this garbage-hill are dozens of zompires reagy to attack. The First slayer shows with her hand the scythe but Buffy mentions that it is broken. The first slayer replies that only the slayer can pull it out but Buffy isn't the slayer anymore. Buffy gets confused since she can't make any sense of what she hears and realizes that basically the First slayer talks too much unlike the other times they met. So she gets suspicious and she attacks her, and the First slayer transforms into a fairy and she wakes up.

Next day she meets with Willow and she informs her that someone hijacks her dreams. It's like there are 2 messages sent to her from 2 different sources, one from the First slayer and the other from the fairy, which Buffy calls Tinkerrbell. Giles's book wasn't so much help to her unfortunately. So Willow tells her that the only way to find out is for Buffy to fall asleep and dream again.

Probably night comes and Willow is inside Buffy's bedroom with much coffee with her to help her stay awake. She asks Buffy not to say anything to her new girlfriend about it. Buffy mentions then how much she has missed hanging out with her best friend, and Willow with a smile on her face says that she wasn't sure that they were still using that qualifier. She promises to wake Buffy if she looks distressed and Buffy falls asleep again.

The fairy comes again but doesn't say her name because it is too difficult to be pronounced. She tell us that she lays eggs in people's ears so they can dream, but she also gives nightmares. With the seed broken her powers are gone so she had to jijacked someone else's dream to contact Buffy, and she used the First slayer for that. She asks Buffy to follow again the First slayer and she tells her that her first intention wat to punish her. Buffy amazed again and flooded of indignation says "let me guess, because I destroyed the seed?" but the fairy surprises her telling her that she thought that the real Buffy Summers was Buffy's decoy that died underground preventing the demons from surfacing. But when she came into Buffy's head to plant nightmares, not only did she realized that this was the real Buffy Summers, but also something else. That vampires will keep on coming and Buffy must follow the First slayer to understand what's her message. And then the fairy will tell Buffy what she knows.

The both follow the slayer. Buffy thinks that the First slayer wants to say that this mess is all Buffy's fault, but as the fairy says it is not a message for self-pity. It's a message for interpretation, the First slayer wants Buffy to unlock the key and undo the damage that was done to the world. Buffy understands that the key is the scythe and runs to pull it out but she doesn't have enough strength to do that. It's because the scythe is not for Buffy but for someone else. And Tinker points at Willow who has also now slept and hijacked Buffy's dream.

Willow stars talking and says that she thinks that the scythe is the key to bring back magic. When Buffy asks her is she must give it to her when she wakes up, Willow replies that she must go and take the scythe with her. Buffy doesn't want her to go, but Willow says "if you love something set it free". Buffy wonders if this is a goodbye and she watches Willow leaving with the First slayer. Tinker comes to Buffy again and informs her that the First slayer is now satisfied. And she tellls Buffy what she knows. Buffy isn't the slayer anymore. The slayer is a part of Buffy, but Buffy is not a girl anymore.

Buffy unable to understand again the message is anxious to wake up and tell Willow what she dreamed, but as the fairy tells her, Willow already knows because they share a special bond. Buffy wakes up alone in her room, goes to her chase and the scythe is missing. There is a letter there from Willow telling her that the world needs magic and she had to go. She loves her but there was no need to say goodbye twice. Buffy immediately runs out in the streets calling for her but she gets tired soon and she sits on the side-walk remembering the fairy's words that she is not a girl anymore. She makes a gesture just like she's ready to throw up and in the next panel we see her face full of surprise.

Later, we see her returning home and her roomates are waiting for her. They need to talk to her but Buffy rushes inside the toilet asking them to talk later. They follow her behind the closed door, telling her that they know she's a slayer and they feel in danger having her living with them. Buffy listens to them and she thinks that they are scared of her. But so is she. Because she's just had the result of her test, and it's positive....she's pregnant!

ETA 4

I have my copy of Buffy S9 # 5 now."Slayer Interrupted."

First of all,I've already given my thought on the Buffy pregnancy news elsewhere.I'm open to it depending on how it's handled.Having followed the spoilers and such,I think most of us who did knew Buffy was going to be pregnant about over five months ago.So i was already used to the idea.

I want to give it a fair chance since I ended up loving the Connor storyline on Angel.Granted,I couldn't stand the baby stuff in the middle of season 3 from about episodes 10-14 with,"Provider" being the apex on that front.Pretty much everything after Connor was kidnapped,I loved and the birth arc from "Offspring" to "Lullaby".I thought something really great came out of that with Connor becoming one of my favorite characters.So I'm not going to write off.Granted,I'm not expecting this to be anything like that.I expect following Buffy through the pregnancy being the focus with the Angel becoming a father arc came at it from a different starting place(Darla already ready to pop early in the season and Connor's birth in the first part of season 3).

As for the issue as a whole.I liked it.It's the first issue of Buffy's book in season 9 that i liked across the board.I thought the first arc was disappointing and dull and was more interested in the new characters over the core cast.But did think each issue had some type of improvement issue to issue.

"Slayer Interrupted" felt like the spiritual cousin to "Restless."Yes,it was more straight forward but it had a similar vibe to me.I think there was a missed opportunity for Cheese Man return appearance.

I loved all the Buffy and Willow interaction both real world and dream.This really shined a spotlight on them going forward.As I've said before,I think this issue sets up Willow crossing over to Angel & Faith down the line a Willow miniseries later on.

Also loved seeing the Giles nod.I don't think there was ever any doubt she missed him but nice to see that affirmed here.

I've always liked Karl Moline's art and that continues here.

Overall,I thought this was the best issue so far and while I still like Angel & Faith more,that story arc is just much more interesting to me then what's being told in Buffy's book and I feel is the stronger book.I think this has some interesting setups.I'm really looking forward to seeing Willlow's quest and I'm curious about where there going with the pregnancy plot.I'm starting to have a idea about how I think the issue 8 spoiler will fit in that I've mentioned before and elsewhere.

ETA 5

Here's Kairos summary.

http://kairosimperfect.livejournal.com/91292.html

Buffy Season 9 #5 Summary and Review

Three pages of Buffy, Dawn, and Xander fighting zompires and Buffy fighting Dawn and Xander zompires. She's "saved" from them closing in on her by someone with a stake in each hand (I love the "paft" onomatopoeia). It's the First Slayer, saying, "You are not the Slayer."

Buffy's relieved to find this is a dream, then angry that the First Slayer dusted Dawn and Xander. She attacks, but the First Slayer punches her in the gut and she wakes up, still feeling the hit. She throws up in the toilet from the nausea.

Buffy and Willow take a walk together, sipping coffee, as Buffy talks about the dream. Willow suggests talking to other Slayers; Buffy still doesn't feel on good enough terms with any of them. They conclude that the First Slayer is trying to tell Buffy something important, and Willow suggests she looks in the Vampyr book.

On the next page we see her doing just that, and even thinking about how much she misses Giles. In the last panel on the page her outfit changes and she hears "You are not the Slayer." This time the First Slayer leads her through the dream into a ruined city and points with her stake to a mountain of garbage, surrounded by snarling zompires, with the broken Scythe stuck in a stone at the top. "Only the Slayer can pull the blade from the ground. You are not the Slayer."

Buffy is annoyed by the mixed signals. She attacks again, saying "You're not the Slayer, either!" She's right, it seems: the First Slayer turns into the fairy from "The Chain". Buffy wakes up with her face in the book, thinking that someone is hijacking her dream. She goes to talk to Willow at work and tells her that she thinks she's getting messages from two sources now: the Slayer line, and the fairy hacking into her brain.

Willow comes over to Buffy's place to investigate by staying up and guarding her while she sleeps and dreams - Buffy mentions that she misses hanging out with her bestie like this.

In her next dream, Buffy speaks to the fairy directly, who tells her "I lay dream eggs in people's ears. Nightmares, too. But without the Seed, my powers have weakened. I needed to ride in on someone else's dream wave to talk to you." She points out the First Slayer, who is in the background apparently talking to another Buffy - this one dressed in the outfit she wore in the "Time of Your Life" arc.

Buffy and the fairy go running after the Slayer, while the fairy explains that she meant to punish Buffy with nightmares for impersonating Buffy until she found out that she was Buffy and the Buffy she thought was Buffy was an impersonator. (Are you with me?) She stuck around to pass on something she discovered that Buffy needs to know, but she won't impart it until Buffy deals with the First Slayer, who still wants her attention.

Buffy complies, staking a vamp that's coming at her, and then they're back at the Scythe-holding garbage mound. Buffy thinks that the message is that everything is her fault for destroying the Seed; the fairy says that no, the message is that she needs to undo what she did by unlocking the key. Buffy goes for the Scythe, but it won't budge. "It's not for you," says the fairy. Willow appears. "It's for her."

Willow withdraws the Scythe easily and they talk about what needs to be done. Willow's going to take it somewhere far away in a bid to restore magic to the world. Buffy doesn't want her to go, but they say goodbye and the First Slayer is pacified.

Finally the fairy says her own piece: "Like I said, you aren't the Slayer. The Slayer's a part of you. But you're not a girl anymore." She can't or won't clarify beyond that.

Buffy wakes up and Willow is gone, leaving a note that makes it clear that she really was present in the dream and is going through with the plan. Buffy runs outside in her pajamas, still hoping for another goodbye, but then sits on the curb, holding her stomach and thinking that the fairy was right.

When she gets back to the apartment with a small bag in hand, her roommates are there asking if they can talk. They don't think it's safe to live with her in light of what happened in the last issue. Buffy hardly listens; she's rushing into the bathroom and slamming the door.

They're scared of her, she thinks, looking at her OMG POSITIVE PREGNANCY TEST. She's scared, too.

So, here's my set of the reactions that everyone who reads this book are obliged to have:

1.) I feel okay about Buffy being pregnant. She is female and she has sex sometimes and that is a combination that sometimes makes pregnancy happen. If this is crackfic then so is life.

2.) I think Angel's the father.

3.) Boy, pregnancy tests really are idiot-proof these days, huh?

And here are the reactions that nobody cares about, because HOLY CRAP BUFFY IS PREGNANT!

I really love Karl Moline's art. I think I even love it more because we don't get him all the time, and he tends to illustrate the "special occasion" issues. Everyone has such character in his hands, and such emotion. I might even look up his extra-Jossverse work; I think I'd like to read an entire series drawn by him.

It is true what they say about "The Chain" being a masterwork within the patchy history of Season 8. At the same time, it's also the most popular and acclaimed issue, and I kind of feel like reviving certain elements from it is an attempt to get Season 9 taken more seriously. The fairy (I know, I'm not spelling it the way they do, I can't help it) is a neat character, but she's lost something, and we still don't know any more about Buffy's double than we did when she died.

One thing that stood out about this issue for me was Buffy's affection for her loved ones. Finally we get to see the words "I miss Giles" - really, that's all I was asking for - and I was surprised and pleased to see how enraged she became when she saw Dawn and Xander die. That is, she saw the zompire versions of Dawn and Xander die, and she already knew she was dreaming, and she was enraged anyway. Buffy's protective nature is one of her strengths, and it's been missing lately. Even her tentative rebuilding of her friendship with Willow hit me in the right place for once: finally, they came up with a new topic and discussed it like adults, just like they used to. Their bond is even confirmed through the dream, and btw, that is news! We've seen the relationships of a few individuals transcend the mundane world, but Buffy and Willow have always been just very close friends.

It does sound like Willow will be showing up in A&F soon. How long will it take her to get there and how long will she stay? Will she see Drusilla? Didn't she already, in the IDW series? Won't they have to make reference to that or explicitly knock it out of canon?

My favorite bit of pregnancy-related speculation is probably going to be - okay, okay, honesty first, it's probably going to be about the father. But I also really love the line "Like I said, you aren't the Slayer. The Slayer's a part of you. But you're not a girl anymore." Here's my initial theory, or at least the one I like the best: Buffy's powers are going to pass into her daughter, leaving her powerless but continuing the Slayer line through genetics rather than magic. Or Slayers just naturally lose their powers when they reach a certain age, but nobody knew it before now because they all die young. The Slayer is currently a part of her - it's within her womb - but it's a power that belongs to girls, not women.

And of course the Summers descendants eventually bring us to Harth and Melaka. So there.

Honestly I really liked this issue. It's the best one of Buffy S9 so far, and even surpasses one or two of the A&F series. There are a lot of nasty things that could be done with this new development and I'm crossing my fingers that the worst of them won't come to pass, but there are a lot of good things that could happen too, and I'm really looking forward to finding out what's going to be so upsetting about the next issue.

If the baby turns out to be a boy I hope she thinks twice before naming him Rupert.

Last edited by comic fan; 01-11-2012 at 12:46 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread