Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
Extreme Fan

Anti Threads; Please Read and Respond

Hey guys,

It has come to our attention that some posters are not happy with the anti threads remaining on this board. They feel that it 'breeds negativity'. Whilst we value your opinions and want to respect your feelings, we also feel that it would be an unnecessary form of censorship to ban them completely.

This is a board for fans of Buffy, but not all fans are always going to love every aspect of a show; they are entitled to a thread to discuss what they don't like, just as others are entitled to devote a thread to a specific character/ship they do like.

We do acknowledge, however, that a poster is easily offended by reading an antagonistic thread title that they do not agree with. Even if they don't go into the thread, they still have to see the title there. To resolve this issue, there will be a new rule in place; Anti Threads must only have a basic title stating what kind of thread they are.

For example, the current Anti Spuffy thread will be amended to read simply 'Anti Spuffy Thread', and so on and so forth.

This means that posters still have a place to vent without trying to offend other posters with their title.

We hope this clears a few things up. If you support a character or ship, you can't be offended just because others don't and want to discuss that. Don't lurk in their threads. Just post where you want to post and let others enjoy that same privelege.

As always, if you do want to discuss this matter further or have any other concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact either of us mods. We really do just want to keep everyone as happy as we can!

Rogue and ashley.

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Read and accepted. I don't necessarily agree but I can't do anything. I'll just live with them and try not to feel whatever.

You're not my employee. You're my P A R T N E R.
How do I look? | Like a HERO
~Ash DR|RN|DB|MJ|JP
Burning Up A Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Extreme Fan

I read and agree.
I don't post on anti threads and I'm not quite fond of them personally but I have nothing against them or the people who post in them, lord knows it's good to get something out of your chest from time to time on something you really don't like.

The titles did bother me and I'm glad there's a new rule for that.

This forum just keeps getting better and better.

Oh I like
y o u!
rafaboreanaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Master Fan

Read and understood.

I can see why it was changed, I could see how some thread titles could be offensive to some people, but I did learn to ignore and be alright with titles I didn't like. I kind of have mixed feelings on it.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I think this was a really good idea.

So of course read and understood.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Jaime Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Read and understood.

I agree, I've learnt over the years with hate in many fandoms that its best to find the amusing side out of titles for anti couples I do like but I understand how Anti-BA/Anti-Spuffy titles could offend people at this board.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

If people can't take criticism of tv characters or tv relationships then it's a sorry state of affairs. The world is full of opposing views about all sorts of things and all too many people are intolerant towards the expression of views they disagree with. If people can't tolerate criticism of tv stuff how are they going to be able to tolerate the expression of views they disagree with about more serious things? We need tolerance in our society, not narrow-mindedness, intolerance and censorship.

Totalitarian governments love to censor or silence criticism. That should remind us how censorship of criticism is not the way to go.

Criticism is important. It's an important part of fan views and of discussion.

People have a bad habit of gathering in groups of people with similar views that have little tolerance for different views. People with different views are encouraged to leave or shut up. This should not happen here. Unappreciation threads can be havens for people with unpopular views.

Some people hate unappreciation threads because they don't understand them. All too often people fear or hate what they don't understand and that is the case with unappreciation threads. They don't understand the threads or their posters and they disapprove of them. It's not their way of doing things, it's not their taste, so obviously it's bad and negative and unnecessary and must go.

"Negative" -that's the word tossed at unappreciation threads and at criticism. Criticism is not a negative. It's a valid part of discussion, a necessary part. It's as valid as gushing over something and has as much right to be expressed. Unappreciation threads may look "negative" to people who don't agree with their views, but those people should remember that their vewpoint is very much biased. It doesn't look so negative to the people taking part. People have a lot of fun on unappreciation threads. People make friends on unappreciation threads. People support each other on unappreciation threads. Unappreciation threads are not "negatve".

The banning of unappreciation titles is unwelcome censorship. If you're going to ban unappreciation titles then you should ban appreciation titles too, because they can offend people too. Neither should be banned, but the unappreciation ones are as valid as the appreciation ones. Just as unappreciation threads are as valid as appreciation threads. Obviously some people disagree with that view, but just because something isn't to their taste doesn't mean it's any less valid.

Just because some people don't like the expression of some view doesn't mean it should be silenced. People have to learn to to tolerate the expression of views they don't like. It's an important part of maturity. I find it very disturbing to see this censorship creeping in here.

Last edited by sum1; 10-29-2008 at 11:13 AM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Part-Time Fan

Read and understood and agreed.
minea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Elite Fan

Read and understood.

I'm sad though, I loved the anti thread titles, they were always good for a laugh. Yeah...I even thought that the anti-Spuffy were amusing.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Elite Fan

Read and Understood

I don't like anti-threads, I don't ever post in them - but I have nothing against them for other members. I do feel they bring a negativeness to the boards, it definitely effected me. But I agrree with this
Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
The banning of unappreciation titles is unwelcome censorship.
That may be true, Sum1, but ashleyt and myself also have to act in the interest of the board as a majority...Many people have expressed discomfort at the presence of the anti threads. We've done what we can to limit that discomfort by censoring the titles. It's a relatively harmless act that puts many posters at ease on the board and makes them feel better about being here.

Quote:
Criticism is not a negative. It's a valid part of discussion, a necessary part.
Whilst we acknowledge people's right to discussion (through criticism or otherwise) our primary role is to facilitate a good posting environment. If that means we have to change the rule regarding the anti title, then so be it. Keep in mind it is only the thread title that has been censored.

Quote:
If you're going to ban unappreciation titles then you should ban appreciation titles too, because they can offend people too.
We haven't applied the same rule to the appreciation threads because nobody has complained about them.

Quote:
I'm sad though, I loved the anti thread titles, they were always good for a laugh. Yeah...I even thought that the anti-Spuffy were amusing.
I always thought they were amusing too. But unfortunately too much hostility was being bred between shipping groups and the like, which is not an atmosphere we want to promote for everyone.

Angel: I love you.
Buffy: I love you.
Angel: Nothing can change that. Not even death.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:07 AM
Master Fan

Read and completely agreed!

I do post in Anti threads and I think they are important 'cause they allow people to disagree with some aspects of the show. But, sometimes, the titles are a little harsh So I understand why people felt unhappy about it. This way, everyone's feelings are respected!
visit Buffyverse | icon: ?
Ace Of Hearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue (View Post)
That may be true, Sum1, but ashleyt and myself also have to act in the interest of the board as a majority...Many people have expressed discomfort at the presence of the anti threads. We've done what we can to limit that discomfort by censoring the titles. It's a relatively harmless act that puts many posters at ease on the board and makes them feel better about being here.
Relatively harmless? I disagree. I find it to be disturbing censorship. And I see it as pandering to the intolerance of posters who should instead have been told to learn to be more tolerant. Why should intolerant attitudes be indulged? Shouldn't people learn to tolerate opinions they dislike? I think some people have gotten the notion that they are entitled to see only opinions they like. That is a very dangerous attitude.

"but ashleyt and myself also have to act in the interest of the board as a majority..."

I think you have to act in the interest of keeping the board an open and tolerant posting environment.

"Many people have expressed discomfort at the presence of the anti threads."

And I think they should be counselled to be more tolerant of opinions and posting tastes that differ from theirs. Just because a lot of people feel a certain way doesn't mean they're right or that things should be changed to suit their view. A lot of people think gay sex shouldn't be allowed but that doesn't mean their intolerant opinion should be indulged by banning gay sex. Just because a lot of people have a particular attitude doesn't mean the rules should be changed to suit their attitude. Intolerant attitudes should not dictate the law.

"We've done what we can to limit that discomfort by censoring the titles."

Which gives people the message that if they don't like a viewpoint they're entitled to not see it expressed. Hardly a philosophy promoting tolerance and open discussion.

"It's a relatively harmless act that puts many posters at ease on the board and makes them feel better about being here."

Well it certainly doesn't make me feel that way. It disturbs me. It makes things feel oppressive. It makes me worry about what censorship is coming next. It makes me feel gagged. It makes the board a less free open tolerant place, which makes it a much less comfortable place. It makes the board a place where intolerance has been given in to and encouraged, which is not a comfortable environment at all.

Quote:
Whilst we acknowledge people's right to discussion (through criticism or otherwise) our primary role is to facilitate a good posting environment. If that means we have to change the rule regarding the anti title, then so be it. Keep in mind it is only the thread title that has been censored.
For now. If you start this sort of censorship I don't know where it's going to end. And good posting environment? The essential way to promote a good posting environment is to tell posters intolerant of differing opinions that they should learn to be more tolerant. Now THAT needs to be done. I'd like to see a topped thread promoting THAT. This new rule just panders to the intolerance and thus encourages it.

Quote:
We haven't applied the same rule to the appreciation threads because nobody has complained about them.
Doesn't mean they don't bother anybody, just that people don't feel they can complain about them. And just because something is complained about doesn't mean it should be censored. Sometimes complaints are just misguided.

Last edited by sum1; 10-29-2008 at 11:34 AM
sum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Addicted Fan

I think it is a good idea Read and understood

We are all stories in the end
Ms X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Fab idea guys!