Preview pages for Buffy # 25

Spoiler! - Preview for BTVS S10 Issue #25 | Buffy-Boards

comic fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Review: Angel & Faith: Season 10 #24 | Comic Book Resources

Angel & Faith: Season 10 #24

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

Two central conflicts take place in "Angel & Faith: Season 10" #24: Illyria versus the embodiment of magic and the rest of the crew versus the demon lord Archaeus and his minions. Victor Gischler and Will Conrad never resort to the same tactic for both problems, which is what makes this issue work as well as it does.

As Illyria has been a longtime problem for the crew in "Angel & Faith," it makes sense that stopping her didn't involve a simple beat down. Not only is her power level rather high, it would have also reduced any potential for future conflict. It's nice to see her stopped with words and reasoning, even as it also provides some good character growth. Koh no longer has a desperate need for vengeance, and that plays out well in his interaction with Illyria; similarly, Illyria's reaction to Koh and the rest of the cast as they explain the situation and point out where she was wrong is a big step forward for her. Illyria was a reluctant but ultimately trustworthy ally during her brief tenure on the show, and this development might start to shift her back into being more of an ally than a foe once more. There's still a strong element of danger around the character, but Gischler simultaneously reduces her explosive nature while keeping her as something of a powder keg.

Meanwhile, Archaeus returns to the scene in order to claim the embodiment of magic, which is what "Angel & Faith: Season 10" has built up to as a series. It makes sense that Gischler moves this into a big throwdown. It's one that will continue into the season finale next month, and -- to Gischler's credit -- he's clearly setting up a big decision regarding the embodiment of magic, which is as much a factor in the conclusion as the fight itself. It feels like a good balance between the two ways to resolve a conflict in this series. The characters are all on point here, and they clearly understand when it's time to talk and when it's time to kick butt, even if the latter is against crazy difficult odds.

Conrad's art is very much on point and he handles actor likenesses (Angel, Faith, Fred) and new characters (Nadira and Koh) with aplomb. Fred/Illyria comes across best in many ways, with the two looking different not only in Michelle Madsen's coloring or the godly armor that Illyria wears, but with facial expressions and even the body language. The little moments in "Angel & Faith: Season 10" #24 are good too, like the way flower petals flutter down around the statue after the truck has been transformed. Even Archaeus has a bit of menace here, which was occasionally absent up until now; this is fitting, considering it's his final battle in this title (before presumably heading over to the final story arc of sister title "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10"). There are no complaints here with the art whatsoever.

It's a real pleasure to see the creative team work so well on this title, and I'd certainly welcome them back for a potential Season 11 run. Even with the hazard of sharing a "Big Bad" with another comic, the series has worked out well. Big thumbs up here, and -- barring disaster in next month's conclusion -- a job well done.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Addicted Fan

Covers for Buffy # 28.

Spoiler! - Covers for BtVS S10 Issue #28 - MAJOR SPOILER | Buffy-Boards

Old 03-05-2016, 07:34 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 11 officially announced to start in October.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/03/...onkickoff2016/

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 11 Announced For October #InStoreKickOff #ConKickOff2016

Posted March 5, 2016 by Rich Johnston

At the Instore Convention Kick-Off, streaming to stores, Dark Horse senior editor Randy Stradley talked about a recent summit in Los Angeles with Joss Whedon, Christos Gage, other Buffy and Angel writers and Dark Horse staffers to decide just what was coming for Buffy The Vampire Slayer as a comic book. And with Season Ten coming to an end later this year, Randy was happy to say that, yes, there would be a Season Eleven for Buffy in comic book form, starting in October…

I believe Season 10 ends in August. so a very short break.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Angel & Faith # 25,the final issues of the season.

SPOILER! Preview for Angel & Faith S10 Issue #25 | Buffy-Boards

I got my issue of Angel & Faith # 24 very late so i'll post my thoughts on both # 24 and # 25 when this last issue is out.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Addicted Fan

Second Buffy High School Yeats One-Shot Comic Announced.

Buffy Heads Back to Class in Dark Horse's "High School Years - Glutton for Punishment" One-Shot | Comic Book Resources

Buffy Heads Back to Class in Dark Horse's "High School Years - Glutton for Punishment" One-Shot

Following "Freaks and Geeks," Buffy returns to high school in Dark Horse's upcoming "Glutton for Punishment" one-shot.

Anthony Couto, Assistant Editor

Cover for "Buffy: The High School Years - Glutton for Punishment" #1

Dark Horse Comics has announced a new one-shot set during Season 1 of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," titled "Buffy: The High School Years -- Glutton for Punishment."

Kel McDonald ("Angel & Faith: Season 10") is writing the latest installment of the young adult series with Yishan Li ("Convergence: Blue Beetle") on art duties. Creator Joss Whedon ("The Avengers") is continuing his role on the series as executive producer.

The one-shot follows June's "Buffy: The High School Years -- Freaks and Geeks" issue, which was also illustrated by Yishan Li.

Here's the description of the "Glutton for Punishment" story, from an official press release: "When Buffy and Xander sign up for home ec, assuming it will be an extra-credit cakewalk, they aren’t aware that the teacher is a ravenous tiger demon in disguise. The demon’s unquenchable appetite has him kidnapping his top students and forcing them to cook for him, and when Xander claims some store-bought treats are his own creations, he becomes the demon’s next victim! It’s not enough that Buffy has to keep her grades up, but she also has to rescue her friends and fellow students—and give the tiger demon his just desserts!"

"Buffy: The High School Years -- Glutton for Punishment" -- currently available for pre-order at Amazon -- hits stands on October 19.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Dark Horse June 2016 solicictations.The Buffy # 28 covers have already been seen but now we have the blurb.

Dark Horse Solicits June 2016 - Superman Vs Aliens, Van Jensen And Pete Woods's Cryptocracy, And The End Of Hellboy In Hell - Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movie, TV News

Prometheus: Life and Death #1, a special Dark Horse Day offering and a Dark Horse Day sampler to celebrate 30 years of Dark Horse, the launch of Cryptocracy #1, a blend of The X-Files and Marvel’s A.I.M. from Van Jensen and Pete Woods, Hellboy in Hell #10, the final solo issue of Hellboy and RG Veda Book One TPB, CLAMP’s very first professional work and a reprint of the Superman Vs Aliens volume…

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #28

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)

On sale June 22

FC, 32 pages

$3.99

Ongoing

Xander and Dawn take on an incredible journey of dimension hopping, trying their best to return home. Meanwhile, things are bad between Buffy and all the Scoobies . . . Think the world can learn to look out for itself?

Angel & Faith Season 10 Volume 5: A Tale of Two Families TP

Victor Gischler (W), Will Conrad (A), Michelle Madsen (C), and Scott Fischer (Cover)

On sale Aug 10

FC, 136 pages

$18.99

TP, 7” x 10”

With gangs of vampires bringing trouble to the streets of Magic Town, Angel and Faith have their work cut out for them protecting the citizens from vampire terrorists and also dealing with the source of the trouble: Drusilla and the überdemon Archaeus. Angel, Faith, Fred and Illyria, and Koh will pit their newly formed family against a brood of blood in a battle for London! Collects Angel & Faith Season 10 #21–#25.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Comic Book Reviews for March 23, 2016 - IGN - Page 3

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #25

Written by Christos Gage | Drawn by Megan Levens

Buffy was a talky TV show. Heck , Joss Whedon is practically the master of fictional conversation writing. But boy, oh boy, is this one talky issue. Reading this issue is like listening to one of your friends explain an entire season of a TV show to you. Situations, motivations, implications - they are all spelled out in long, rambling detail. The thing is, Buffy is the perfect kind of property to show that dialogue is just as much “action” as a punch to the face is. But, the level of conversation here goes beyond character interaction to deep levels of exposition and outward projections of motivation. The story ends in some interesting plot advancement, but at the cost of a well told narrative. –Levi

Final Score:

Old 03-28-2016, 01:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #25 | Comic Book Resources

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 10 #25

by Greg McElhatton, Reviewer

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10" #25 wraps up the "In Pieces on the Ground" storyline and sets the stage for the final story arc of the series, which will kick off next month. While at first Christos Gage and Megan Levens appear to move two characters temporarily into a different arena (from which it will be difficult to escape), what we actually get is a nasty 11th hour surprise.

Most of the issue focuses on the portal that was opened in the previous chapter, one that is slowly expanding and promises to eventually destroy the universe if left unchecked. Gage follows through on the cliffhanger, where it was revealed they could close the portal with Dawn's powers as the Key -- but only from within the demon dimension. At first, it feels like the entire issue is going to focus exclusively on making that decision, even as Buffy and company fight to find a better way.

If that's all we had here, it would certainly be a good -- if not great -- comic. The inevitability of Dawn's decision hangs over the entire story, although Xander's choice to keep Dawn company is an intriguing one, if only because it follows through on their aborted romance; it also gives Xander something to do, which is more than he's had for a while now. It's a great character moment, even as other characters' attempts to try and stay with Dawn are shot down for various reasons. Gage's script presents the smartest possible option for the characters, even as it lets them all struggle against it for the appropriate amount of time.

Levens wraps up her guest stint on the book this month, and her art looks good here. Similar to series artist Rebekah Isaacs, Levens understands how to make the characters look like their on-screen counterparts without coming across as posed or stiff. However, there are a lot of panels with vacant backgrounds; this is a real pity when you consider that a good portion of this issue is set in a demon dimension, which has all sorts of possibilities for creativity. Still, her focus on the characters is good, and both Xander's upbeat delivery of his offer to stay and the anguish on Buffy's face as she bids her sister goodbye are perfectly realized.

As for those final pages, it's a twist worthy of the original television show itself. Characters who have been primarily in the background or too easily trusted finally step into center stage as a slip of the tongue unleashes all sorts of power into absolutely the wrong hands. It's a great setup, the perfect "gotcha!" moment to make readers sit straight up and realize that Gage has quietly been faking us out for a while now. Am I looking forward to the final storyline to kick off? Yes. Should you be too? Definitely. Gage and Isaacs' run on this title has always been good, but -- thanks to this issue -- it promises to be epic.

Just to let everyone know,I did get Buffy # 25 late last week but I've been sick the last few days and just haven't felt up to posting my thoughts.I did like the issue although there was a predictable quality to it.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Preview pages for Buffy # 26.

Preview :: Dark Horse Comics

Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 AM
Addicted Fan

Victor Gischler's full Slayalive Q/A for Angel & Faith # 25 is up.

Spoilers *COMPLETE* Q&A with Victor Gischler for Angel & Faith Season 10 Finale
Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM
Addicted Fan

Just wanted to give some brief thoughts on the end of Angel & Faith in season 10(issue 24 and 25)

Overall I thought the last tow issies were fair.I think overall Angel & Faitrh was weaker this season so the ending was never going to be as exciting as the conclusion of Angel & Faith in season 9.

I really liked noir feel of this season and character stuff.I think Koh worked better here then in Buffy last season.I thought Nadira's arc over the two season was good.

Archaeus was a poor big bad IMO.

Mixed reaction on the Illyria/Fred stuff due to another character being brought back.

I think Angel and Faith's arc wasent as strong this season but again I think part of that is that I thought the season 9 storyline was stronger.

Overall Angel & Faith this season was okay but not great like last season.

I'll admit I'm also not as interested in Magic TOwn at this point so i'm hoping for a change next season.

I think I'd rather have Angel & Faith play a role in Buffy next season rather then a monthly book.Maybe a Angel & Faith mini series or a limited run instead.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Addicted Fan

Season 10 Solicitation for July 2016.

Dark Horse July 2016 Solicitations Bring New "Conan," "Bounty," "Black Hammer" & More | Comic Book Resources

VENGEANCE IS REAL

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10 #29

Christos Gage (W), Rebekah Isaacs (A/Variant cover), Dan Jackson (C), and Steve Morris (Cover)
On sale July 20
FC, 32 pages
$3.99
Ongoing

The Big Bad is revealed—and so is Ghost Anya! Buffy and the Scoobies know what they are up against, but will they be able to stop the current world-ending course of events?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Addicted Fan

Advance review for tomorrow's Buffy # 26.The kickoff of the final arc of season 10.

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #26 - Wicked Horror : Wicked Horror

Comic Review: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #26

April 19, 2016By Nat Brehmer

We left things in a very dire place in the previous issue. The best thing about this month’s Buffy, though, is that it’s a whole lot of fun, even though it leaves us in an even more devastating place than we already were. Compared to what they’ve dealt with in the past, this hasn’t been a season of very high stakes for the Scoobies. Buffy’s had a pretty sustainable relationship with Spike, Giles may be very young but is at least alive, Dawn and Xander broke up but stayed on amicable terms, and Willow has sort of been doing her own thing working with the military with a good deal of success. They took it upon themselves to rewrite the rules of magic. It’s come back to bite them in only a few ways and they have always had the magic council to fall back upon when that happened.

Things are different now. Dawn and Xander are stuck in another dimension while everyone scrambles for a way to get them back home. And this causes Buffy to be at odds with all of her friends. She’s anxious, angry, and can barely look at them without pointing fingers—including Spike. It’s the most tense we’ve seen things between Buffy and her friends all season and it’s honestly kind of refreshing. Finally, the stakes are high, and like the best of the TV series, the stakes are high for reasons due entirely to the characters. Buffy isn’t angry and hostile for no reason, she’s acting out of a love for her sister and fear that she might never see her again. That makes things very interesting.

The real stars of the issue, though, are Dawn and Xander. These are the characters who actually should be without hope because they’re lost on an alien world with no way of knowing if they will ever make it back home. Instead, a lot of what we see is genuinely funny. The demons here worship Dawn as a goddess because of her newfound powers, which she’s getting the hang of very quickly. Xander also shows his usefulness in really interesting ways. He introduces them to basic architecture to protect their kind from this world’s hellish acid rain. He also teaches these demons some techniques he learned in therapy to help mellow them out. Xander’s growth this season has been really cool in general, so it’s nice to see it actually being explored in both touching and hilarious ways.

The timeline of the issue is pretty unclear. It could take place over a couple of days, but in the case of Xander and Dawn, it seems to last weeks, if not months. That could just be due to the time differences between the two dimensions, but either way, an explanation would go a long way.

A lot of the reveals regarding D’Hoffryn and the Magic Council are not in any way surprising, they’ve been coming for a long time, but it does make things interesting to get all of that now. It’s never been a question of “Is D’Hoffryn going to turn on them?” It’s “When is D’Hoffryn going to turn on them?” He couldn’t have picked a time when they would have been more vulnerable or less prepared, so that’s going to make things very interesting heading toward the finale.

This is a very strong issue that captures the balance of the show very well. It’s funny, it’s quirky, it’s emotionally weighty and compelling, but it doesn’t have to sacrifice any one of those things for the sake of any others. That’s what always made Buffy work and it works here. I think it will be interesting to see D’Hoffryn finally be a major antagonist. He’s been an ally for some time, and has been way too nice, considering he’s a really bad guy. I also fully predict Ghost Anya turning on him, but I can’t wait to see what happens, regardless.

WICKED RATING: 8 Stars (8 / 10)
Old 04-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Addicted Fan

I got Buffy # 26,the first part of,"Own it",the final arc of season 10.

I really liked the Xander and Dawn stuff.I do think they are going to be back together by the end of the season.

Buffy was certainly not acting her best in this issue although I sympathise with her mental state.

D'Hoffryn's actions weren't a surprise.We've known this was coming for a while.Still,I'm interested to see how the gang deals with him and his amped up powers.

Overall,I liked the issue.
Reply   Post New Thread