Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 AM
Elite Fan

Angel Comics - Season 6 Thread #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by comic fan (View Post)
Preview Pages For Buffy Season 8 #39.

Preview: Buffy the Vampire Slayer #39 - Comic Book Resources

EXCLUSIVE PREVIEW: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" #39

Courtesy of Dark Horse, CBR presents an exclusive preview of "Buffy & Vampire Slayer" #39. Written by Joss Whedon and Scott Allie, art and cover by Georges Jeanty and a Jo Chen variant, the issue hits December 1

It's war, and there will be casualties not soon forgotten as Buffy faces her most fearsome enemy.

Buffy creator Joss Whedon and series artist Georges Jeanty join forces for the most emotional issue to date as they approach the finale of Season Eight.

* The penultimate issue!

* Written by Joss Whedon!

Last post from the previous thread.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest preview pages for tomorrow's Angel #39 Part 1 of the final IDW Angel arc,"'The Wolf, the Ram, and the Heart."

Buffyfest: Angel #39: Exclusive Preview

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Angel #39: Exclusive Preview

By: Mariah Huehner, David Tischman, Bill WIlliams, Elena Casagrande, Jenny Frison

'The Wolf, the Ram, and the Heart, part 1'

Now that all the weirdness has been explained, Angel and company are looking to get back to what they do best. Except an old enemy with the letters W and H comes back, Angel gets transported, and a whole new can of demony worms is opened. Literally.

Release date: 17 November 2010
Price: $3.99

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_S8NvEtc8_m8/TONJgyrXmfI/AAAAAAAAD1c/***dTqRo8_c/s1600/Angel+39+4.jpg[/img]

*Please note, previews are not final. Any errors will be corrected for the physical release.

Last edited by comic fan; 11-16-2010 at 09:43 PM
Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Addicted Fan

I have my copy of Angel #39.Part 1 of the 6 part,"The Wolf,The Ram And The Heart."The final Angel arc at IDW.

First of all,the error from the preview page where Poly answers Gunn with Connor is in the finished issue.

I really like the dynamic between Connor,Gunn,Laura and Poly.Connor and Gunn may still have issues with each other but it's good that they want to try to work things out.

The Angel stuff in the issue is really interesting.The people who attack Angel in his car in the preview pages are from Wolfram And Hart and they've captured Angel.The person specifically behind it is the dude with the dreadlocks and glasses named Darrow.

Darrow:Hello Angelus,My name is Darrow.

Angel's thoughts:Room looks like something out of Dark Shadows.Last thing I remember is that truck on PCH.Should be fired like an egg.Spitting rocks out of my teeth.

Angel:It's Angel

Darrow:A vampire cursed by gypsies.Loved by a slayer.Father of a impossible child.You brought the Apocalypse.

The gist is that Wolfram and Hart have transported Angel to the future.A future with L.A. in ruins and empty of life.

Angel racing to the roof of the empty Wolfram and Hart building.

Angel thoughts:Are the Senior Partners here?Why now/What do they want THIS time?But dealing with Wolfram & Hart AND James is a double whammy NONE of us are ready to deal with.I need to warn the others.They need to...

Angel burst through the roof door and stops in shock.

Angel: OH.MY.GOD(in a small voice).

Darrow comes up behind him.

Darrow:THIS is why I brought you here,Angel.Times have changed.The firm...Wolfram & Hart....We're NOT the bad guys...Not any more.

Los Angeles

Angel stares out on the roof at the destroyed and deserted looking L.A.

Angel still staring at the ruined cityscape:Who did this?

Darrow:You knew him as James.He turned the entire planet into a FACTORY.A demon breeding ground,with humans as the birthing vessels.Armies of millions,sent out to fight,throughout the dimensions.

And we see the start of this with a scene in the present with James in the issue .

Darrow continued:I think I found a way to STOP him,but I need your help.

Angel facing Darrow while standing on the roof ledge:No way.I've made deals with Wolfram & Hart before,and lost people I loved every time.Send me back.

Darrow:I can't.Not without The SENIOR PARTNERS.And they won't help you....

Angel:Unless I help YOU.

Darrowretty much

Angel:Then it looks like you have a problem,Darrow.

And now comes the moment that I think is the beginning of Angel's road to Twilight.The last page with Angel's thoughts.

Angel jumps off the roof.

Angel's thoughts as he dives off the roof:So this is the future.Somewhere in the past,something went wrong.We lost.I'm going to think about that for the rest of my life.

Next:The beginning of the end.

This really does feel like we have our set up now for Angel becoming Twilight and what was revealed in the flashbacks with Angel in Buffy #36 and what was alluded to in the talk with Angel and Whistler in the Riley One-Shot.The last page of the issue really sealed that for me.

This issue was good.Mariah and David did a good job with the voices and we have a good setup for the next five issues.Angel in the future where they lost the war thanks to James with the others in the present.

We also have the conclusion of the Eddie Hope back up and it's a nice wrap up for the character.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffyverse Comics Reviews interview's Mariah Huehner on Angel #39 and the upcoming issues of Angel,Spike and Illyria and reviews issue Angel 39 as well.The interview is on you tube videos.Watcxh it at the site

Buffyverse Comic Reviews: Interview with Mariah Huehner... and review for Angel #39

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Interview with Mariah Huehner... and review for Angel #39

Angel #39

The Wolf, the Ram, and the Heart part 1

Written by David Tischman and Mariah Huehner

Art by Elena Casagrande

This review is going to be peppered with the best kind of pepper outside of actual delicious pepper. VIDEO INTERVIEWS!

Don’t mind the roar of the audience in the background. Mariah and I were surrounded by adoring fans of Angel and this site. There was a whole coliseum of them.

That, or we were at New York Comic Con.

Now, the issue.

It feels a lot like I wanted “Angel: Aftermath” to feel. Back when “Aftermath” came out, the biggest Angel arc had just ended. The character’s lives were changed forever. I wanted to read something that was simultaneously different from what came before but still consistent with the characters and the tone of the series. My expectations weren’t really met with that series, and now we’re in a somewhat similar place. The arc that Bill Willingham started and Mariah and David carried out has just finished. By the end of the arc, everyone had been changed forever. Connor took over as champion of LA, Spike left for Vegas, Illyria set out to find herself, and Angel decided to take a step back and let his son grow as a man. So again, I was faced with the same expectation. I wanted consistency, but I knew that things couldn’t be the same.

This book excels at doing just that.

The parallel with “Aftermath” continues, as both books feature the main action of the story moving away from the Hyperion. Thankfully, though, Kate doesn’t go around offering anyone churches in this book. Connor decided to sell the Hyperion… essentially because the writers are trying to take a more realistic look at things. It takes a ****load of money to own a place as big as the Hyperion… and the only reason that normal folks are able to afford owning that kind of space is because they rent rooms to paying customers. Angel and co., not so much. And this book finally addresses what I’ve been wondering since early in the series: How in the hell can they afford that place? Well, they can’t. Not anymore. And Connor, Gunn, Laura, and Mr. Polyphemus make a necessary move to new digs.

Now, about that crowd. It’s a good group. I’m still waiting for Laura to have a moment that really sells me on her (Polyphemus’s was when he let Spike use him as a ball), but she’s tolerable. I love the pairing of Connor and Gunn, though. I’ve been anticipating some actual movement for their characters since “After the Fall,” because… well, Gunn killed Connor. And then, last time they were together, Connor said that he wanted to cut Gunn’s throat. A bit unsympathetic, no? This book makes up for that. Connor realizes that he was in the wrong for that, but there is an air of tension between them that goes beyond that. I’m excited to see how the clearly capable Huehner and Tischman explore that.

There is a creepy scene with James. Or Jamerah? Or the other creepy alieny name he had before. Everyone else is going with James, so I’ll agree with them. They’re my fictional buddies. So, James. He kinda… has a goo… baby… thing. It’s similar to the birth of the soul eater, but this one looks very different. No idea where any of that is going, but it ups the horror factor to a level that Angel as a television show rarely took it to. It facilitates the different mood that the comic is playing with.

Now, to Angel. Angel Angel Angel. We knew thanks to the kind and good smelling folks over at Buffyfest that our eponymous hero was going to be removed from our current timeline. Not much I can say about that, other than the folks that pull him out are pretty much from where you’d expect. Good ol’ Wolfram & Hart. While they’re creepy as always, they seem less… lawyery in the future. And this time, when they say what they’ve said before (“We’re not the bad guys.”) I… kind of believe them. At least, they’re not the worst bad guys. James really screwed stuff in the future up, and Angel realizes that that means something he did in the past (his/our present) must have really been off base. They, for some reason, were unable to stop this threat. So Future W&H wants to enlist Angel to somehow make things right.

But Angel would rather jump off a building than do that. So he does.

And because this is a comic, it ends on that dramatic moment. It was solid read, and it felt very much like the beginning of an epilogue. The end of IDW’s Angel is coming, and Mariah and David are crafting what promises to be an excellent story.

Plus, Angel is wearing a hoodie. He sure knows how to rock a hoodie.

--VIDEO INTERVIEW WITH DAVID TISCHMAN NEXT WEEK--

Back-up story: “Eddie Hope- Sunset”

Written by Bill Williams

Art by Elena Casagrande and Walter Trono

While Angel gets a new beginning, Eddie Hope comes to an end. Not a deathy kind of end, though. The “Holy ****, that guy Angel and his crew really beat me up… and kind of for nothing. Gunn wasn’t even on my list, but I went after him anyway. I’m going beyond what my original mission was. Time to say **** that and go home.” And that’s essentially it. The actual writing is more eloquent than that, but as the title implies, Eddie lets the sun set on his vengeance gig. It’s a good, if abrupt, end to the character. Bill Williams has consistently done a great job with shoving a big story into four pages, and while I would have liked a bit more breathing room for Eddie’s swan song, this does the trick. He was an engaging character, and the back-ups were always a pleasure to read. He’ll be missed.

Don’t miss my interview with Bill Williams, where he comments on Eddie’s final chapter: Buffyverse Comic Reviews: Eddie Hope and Bill Williams Bow Out: Exit Interview

Oh, and just a bit of “I hope” here. While Eddie’s story end with the first part of “The Wolf, the Ram, and the Heart,” I really hope that it’s collected with the previous installments in the “Connorland” hardcover. It would be super awkward to have this one Eddie back-up in the final hardcover.

Buffyverse Comics Review also interviews Bill Williams about the end of his Eddie Hope co-feature.

Buffyverse Comic Reviews: Eddie Hope and Bill Williams Bow Out: Exit Interview

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eddie Hope and Bill Williams Bow Out: Exit Interview

SPOILERS: Read Angel #39. Don't be that guy. You know
that guy. That guy who gets spoiled by reading an interview
because he/she (girls can be "that guy" too, don't be sexist)
didn't have enough patience. Be warned, potential "that guy."

IDW Extravaganza

Pat Shand Interviews Bill Williams

Again: Exit Interview

Writer of the Eddie Hope backups in ANGEL

and SPIKE: THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Buffyverse Comic Reviews: So, Eddie Hope dies. Very sad.

Kidding.

So Bill, Eddie Hope’s story end with today’s issue. After escaping from Team Angel, everyone’s favorite bright blue devil came to the realization that it’s time for a break. How do you feel Eddie’s decision to return home wraps up the character?

Bill Williams: Well, the plan was to have him introduced into Team Angel, but that was scrapped which works just as well for me. I’m not sure that the vengeance road has room for a full minivan.
For me, I got a solid grip on the character when I had another character ask him why he never went home when Los Angeles snapped back to normal. Eddie Hope’s name became ironic for him in that he considered himself damaged and corrupted by the events of After the Fall. He was afraid that he would poison all of his friends and family if he did not quarantine himself. That put him on an even lonelier road.

So in Angel #39, Eddie has suffered a nasty physical beating and it makes him reconsider what he is doing. There is also a nice callback to the Spike mini-series. It was fun for me to be able to write a few lines of dialogue for Angel in the Angel comics.

My truncated run with Eddie ends with the scene I always intended to conclude the series with, just a bit early. Eddie’s story is over, but in comics anything is possible.

BCR: Fans have been all a-twitter. Is Eddie modeled after Wentworth Miller?

BW: That’s a question for David Messina who is a great guy. An Italian publisher found that we both worked on the Eddie stuff for Angel. They were interested in publishing Italian editions of some work I published in the states and David more or less vouched for both sides so I’m at the contract stage for those foreign rights. Like I said great guy.

When it comes to the art I do my best to leave out any reference to celebrity. It’s one of those things that can really bite you when it goes wrong and I did not know that David would be the lead artist on the Eddie stories until the last minute. I suppose one of the many reasons not to provide reference is the danger that you will end up with bad photo tracing as a result.

I was at the Wizard show in Austin chatting with Brian Denham as he was drawing a Spike commission for a fan and man that guy gets it. He can pull up a photo on his cell phone and draw a likeness that is spot on and not deadened by the process.

That said, I can see a little passing resemblance to the Prison Break actor.

BCR: What was your favorite moment in your tenure as an Angel/Spike writer?

BW: At the end of Angel #38, Eddie has been beaten unconscious by Team Angel. Originally in issue #39, Eddie was to have a hallucination and have a bit of a dream walk where a few stray bits of his character were stitched together and it was surreal and charming and funny. But that bit was cut away in the change over in the creative teams when Willingham left the title.

I liked writing the banter between the Spike and Eddie in the Spike: Devil You Know mini-series, which will be out in trade form early next year. I pitched it as ‘24 with Vampires’, but by the time I was through it was more like ‘48 Hours with vampires’. Spike has such a wonderful sense of humor, that it’s a shame not to use it.

But my favorite bit that hit the shelves was the extended fight between Team Angel and Eddie in Angel #37 and #38. Eddie is fairly certain that the vampires and monsters on Team Angel will kill him if they beat him and Team Angel is furious for the abduction of Gunn. There’s a lot of drama in that fight.

BCR: Now that Eddie's story has wrapped up, what is next for Bill Williams?

BW: I am so far behind in my effort in the National Novel Writing Month. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel between November 1 and November 30. To hit that mark, you need to manage around 1700 words a day. I lost a week already as I finished a new comic book project that just hit the digital distributors. So, I need to pull out a few 5,000 word days to hit the writing deadline. The novel is a mystery set in Austin where a young police detective chases a killer and wanders into a variation on a Hitchcock classic.

The reason I lost that week was that I have a new webcomic launching on December 1. A few years back, I wrote a story that is loosely based on some events I lived through when my cat was hit by a car and I had to help him rehab. Biscuit & Lefty: A Cat’s Tale is available for digital download from WOWIO. WOWIO: Biscuit & Lefty: A Cat's Tale by Bobby Diaz, Bill Williams and Thom Zahler It is also in the works with Graphic.ly and Comics Plus and more. It will launch for free as a webcomic on December 1 off of my blog www.billwilliamsfreelance.com which is chock full of fun stuff. The story is so sweet that my letterer Thom asked me if I really wrote it. The art is by Bobby Diaz and me and I’m pretty proud of it. Bobby penciled it and I inked and colored the pages.

At that show in Austin, I talked with Brent Erwin from Ape Entertainment and he seems keen on a pitch I sent in for one of his licensed properties. So I might have a few projects in the cycle from them.

But with the comic book field, you never know.

--
Big thanks to Bill Williams for the interview! Check out the links he provided and be sure to catch the end of Eddie Hope's saga of vengeance in Angel #39.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Addicted Fan

IDW books for February 2011.

IDW Publishing | The home of 30 Days of Night, Star Trek, Terminator, Transformers, G.I. Joe...

ANGEL #42 (of 44)

David Tischman, Mariah Huehner (w) Elena Casagrande (a) Jenny Frison (c)

Illyria finds Angel in deep trouble, and Angel finds Illyria... altered. The two of them must confront Wolfram & Hart, and the Big Bad, if they have any hope of rescuing L.A. Of course, it's not nearly that simple, and Illyria must make a sacrifice so Angel can do what he does best: be a hero.

FC 32 pages $3.99

SPIKE #5 (of 8)

Brian Lynch (w) Stephen Mooney (a) Nick Runge (c)

When the going gets tough, the tough call in a witch. FEATURING... WILLOW!

FC 32 pages $3.99

ANGEL: IILYRIA #4 (of 4)

Scott Tipton, Mariah Huehner (w) Elena Casagrande (a) Jenny Frison (c)

Reclaiming some of what she had lost, Illyria must choose between what she was and who she could become. Her choice comes at a price... as well as a final farewell she never thought she'd make.

FC 32 pages $3.99

ANGEL: AFTER THE FALL PREMIERE EDITION, VOL. 1

Brian Lynch, Joss Whedon (w) Franco Urru, Nick Runge, Stephen Mooney (a) Tony Harris (c)

Issues #1-17 of Angel: After the Fall are collected here, in this Premiere Edition hardcover! Dive in as series writer Brian Lynch and Angel overlord Joss Whedon tell the tale of what happened to Angel & Co. on the night that WOLFRAM & HART sent their minions into the alley in "Not Fade Away."

HC FC $100.00 432 Pages 8.5" x 12.75" ISBN: 978-1-60010-861-7

SALES POINTS:
Collects the entire "After the Fall" storyline co-plotted by Joss Whedon in one oversize hardcover!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Addicted Fan

Nick Runge Spike #6 cover.

Comic Cove: Whedonesque

Here's my painting for the variant cover to Spike #6 from IDW. Willow guest stars in this issue as well, so a nice simple image of them together seemed appropriate.

Again, like usual, this is acrylic and colored pencils on illustration board. 30"x 20"

Posted by nickrunge at 10:54 AM
Old 11-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Addicted Fan

Georges Jeanty Slayalive Q/A for buffy #38 is up.

SlayAlive - Q&A with Georges Jeanty Session 16

[COMPLETE]Q&A with Georges Jeanty Session 16

Hey all!

Rules are simple: Maximum of three (3) questions per member until I submit your questions to Jeanty. I will post a note to let you know when I send off questions to reopen the floor. As always, there is a possibility of a delay, so thanks for your patience. Keep it clean, keep it civil. Simple right? Entries are welcome until I post a closing post. Questions regarding Twilight NO LONGER HAVE TO SPOILER-TAGGED! (Thank goodness... it was a pain having to make sure that the appropriate questions/answers were spoiler-tagged).

Anyone who's reading this and not a member, I'm accepting questions at wenxina@slayalive.com. Feel free to send me your questions and I'll add them to the queue with credit to you.

Please note that Georges is often not really at liberty to divulge big spoilers, so don't waste those questions here... "No spoilers/comment" is a reasonable response to those.

Alright... GO!

1 bamph: Poor Angel indeed. I really do feel bad for him right now. Bad choices but with good intentions brought him onto the road he traveled this season and that road seems to end in this issue. Now Angel has been forcibly and bodily taken control of by Twilight. Anything terrible he does starting at the end of today's issue and next issue will be completely against his will and by force. I figure Angel under Twilight's control does do something pretty bad next issue that upset you, possibly killing a beloved character. My first thought though is we've seen this sort of plot before from Joss. The Angelus arc of Buffy season 2 and the Cordelia/Jasmine arc of Angel season 4. What's going on in particular feels like what went down with Cordy. Would you agree that this is similar to those two story lines and should we be looking for the differences?

Georges: It's just too depressing to go into (and you'll find out in a couple of weeks!)

2. bamph: This might be a bit spoilerish but will Buffy know Angel isn't in control of his actions next issue and will there be a element of trying to save him by freeing him of Twilight's control while they fight? Is this what,"rescue the prince" meant back in issue 10?

Georges: Wow. Someone has been reading their trades! Issue 10 was foreshadowing, that's all I can say.

3. bamph: How did you approach the end of the issue with Angel under Twilight's control? Art wise, did you have certain directions from Joss Whedon and Scott Allie? It's really subtle but works well when Angel first arrives on the scene.

Georges: What I was really trying to keep in mind was continuity. And that was more on Angel and where he'd been wounded. I tried to keep all the little tears in his jacket consistent and whatever bruises he was getting. I think I might have represented the Twilight factor by making his jacket a deeper black. Like not having any light reflected from it, or not to draw in the individual folds. That was the only conscious thing I did when he was becoming Twilight.

4. drywallman: You indicated in the previous Q&A that Dawn and Xander's relationship will continue, which would seem to mean they will both survive this season. We've already been told that there will be at least one major death this season. Why do you feel comfortable narrowing down the list, or are we misreading your comment?

Georges: I guess I wasn't trying to create a suspense here and the fact that I said their relationship continues does narrow things down a bit, doesn't it? But, where's Andrew? Faith?
Heavens, someone make sure they're alright! And Kennedy. Has anyone seen Kennedy? Is she okay? Pipe down all you K-haters! They'll be no rejoicing from you! Kennedy? Seriously, sweetie, say something...

5. cheryl: I am very confused about which side the PTB are on and who is supposed to be the good guys vs the bad guys. Is it safe to assume that Twilight is the bad guy? (Angel under the influence of the cat thing) Or is Buffy suspect too?

Georges: I thought that was a little vague too. I took it to mean that Twilight entity was more than just good and evil, it is another plain of existence, and such mortal concepts just don't apply. Buffy plays her part but has she ever really been evil? She's been misled, sure, but evil? She's just too cute, and oh that perfect little nose.

6. cheryl: This seems to be a mirror of what happened between Buffy and Angel in season 2 and the Angelus arc, only this time Angel is possessed and Twilight, are we naive to assume that this isn't going to put a bigger emotional burden on the relationship than the Angelus arc did?

Georges: Season 9 anyone?

7. cheryl: Are you guys afraid that the next issue might be so bad and the rage so high, that fans of the series walk away? For good? When you start talking about character deaths, fans get agitated and fast.

Georges: Yes! They'll walk away in rage and scream and shout. And then after a while they'll turn around and start to think that there's still one more issue to be had. Then they'll come back for that one, but that's it. Then they'll remember that there'll be a Season 9 and all hell will break loose again!
I honestly don't know how fans are going to react, I can only say this fan didn't take the news so well.

8. moscowwatcher: Hi, Mr.Jeanty! The new issue was awesome. Your cover and the last panel are forever imprinted in my mind. Thank you for all the wonderful panels. The fights are exciting and visceral with many rich details to make them memorabvle. I particularly liked the detail that Buffy makes herself a stake from Spike's axe. The characters' facial expressions are spot-on. Buffy's last close-up is heartbreaking. Thank you for great job.

Questions:

Several pages feature strange inserts - Angel's face with yellow eyes - on the pages with images, irrelevant to his face. These inserts are framed in yellow. At first I thought that it means that Angel gets information about the events that happen at this or that particular page (in some mystical way). Then, right before the Angel's entrance, the page on which Buffy and Spike fight monsters, there is a similarly framed rectangular insert of the detail of the green monster eyes (I guess these were eyes). Do these inserts mean something?

Georges: The inserts with Angel were supposed to signify that Angel was becoming Twilight while the fight was going on at the same time, that's why the panels were floating. It's a story telling device. The one of the demon was just a beat I thought that page needed before Angel rips it apart. Looking at it again, the borders probably shouldn't have been in yellow. I should have caught that.

9. moscowwatcher: The way the overall disposition is drawn it's unclear if the demons invade the Earth from the Twilight dimension or from many different dimensions. Were you given any notes on that subject?

Georges: I think when this new universe was being created it ripped the fabric of a lot of neighboring universes and created pockets of portals into our world where a the major fighting was taking place. You'll see more of this next issue!

10. moscowwatcher: Spike smokes cigarettes on almost every panel. Was it your contribution or you were given notes to draw him smoking?
Thank you again for answering our questions!

Georges: Some smoke breaks were suggested and others I just wanted to have something for him to do. You know Spike, he's only too happy to light up when he can. I mean, what's he got to fear, lung cancer? (Remember kids, smoking is bad for your health... unless you're a vampire... But when you get into that logic, how could a Vampire expel the smoke if a Vampire “has no breath to give”?)

11. maje77: From Scott and you, we’ve heard all these tragic and shocking ways to describe what happens in issue 39. As you’ve seen, some fans completely believe that Buffy and Angel’s relationship will be destroyed beyond repair, and that he’s the betrayer. Now that the full cover of #39 has been revealed to show Buffy fighting Angel, a fan could almost buy that. But I’m a suspicious person. Are we supposed to be shocked that Buffy and Angel fight because to me it’s more of a mislead of whose truly the betrayer in the sense that there’s a heck of a lot of suspect behavior from other characters going on. So I guess my question is, is there more to the cover than just assuming this massive fight/betrayal between Buffy and Angel?

Georges: Be suspicious. Be very suspicious.

12. maje77: In issue 38, Buffy loses her super strength when she gets close to the seed. Could we assume the same for Angel (even possessed Twilight Angel)?

Georges: Once Angel is Twilight it's a whole new ball game. His strength is no longer the issue... which is bad for Buffy...

13. maje77: The panels with Giles and Buffy gave me the feeling of goodbye, especially Giles’ line, “I’ll see you when this is over”. Is that interpretation valid?

Georges: Giles is ever the reassuring father Buffy never had. I think even if Giles were going off to fight to the death in the French Foreign Legion he would tell his little girl he'd see her when all this was over. If there was ever an anchor in the whole series of Buffy it has to be Giles. I know in Seasons 6 and 7 it seemed that he outlived his usefulness, but he was always an anchor to Buffy regardless if he was there as a Watcher or a father figure. I love Giles. I would have loved to see that Ripper series when that was still a possibility a few years ago. I thought it was going to be a lot like Torchwood.

14. AndrewCrossett: In the scene where Willow is with the Master and casting her spell with the Seed, are her eyes glowing red or is that just a reflection from the Seed?

Georges: I had it that her eyes were glowing red because she was absorbing the power of the Orb for what she does next issue... oh wait. I shouldn't go on.

15. AndrewCrossett: Do you know why General Voll (from Long Way Home) disappeared, and this new nameless General took his place? He seems to sound quite a bit like Voll when he talks.

Georges: Yeah. That was my bad. I had no idea that those two guys were one and the same. Major blunder on my part! Sorry. He just disappeared forever and when he resurfaced I thought he was someone else.

16. AndrewCrossett: Will it be explained why Faith now has the Scythe, and what's happened to it since Buffy lost it?

Georges: Buffy never lost it. I think the official story is that one of the Slayers went and got it back from Tibet and brought it to the fight. Sound about right?

17. Maggie: Hi Georges,

Sorry to re-ask this question, but I'm still not clear. Going back to #37, it's obvious that Buffy is fantasizing about kissing Spike and it doesn't really happen. The question is when does the fantasy start. I want to say that the whole page is the fantasy -- but it really is hard to tell. Did Buffy really tell Spike what it was like having sex with Angel. Did he really get upset by it? By the time she's standing up to comfort him, it seems like that has to be fantasy. But the rhythm of what happens when she stops fantasizing doesn't make sense if the him getting upset part actually happened. Anyway -- at what point does the fantasy start? Thanks!

Georges: All the talking stuff happened and all the kissy sexy stuff didn't. I like your idea though, that the whole thing after a while takes place in Buffy's head. It might have meant an interesting angle to peruse.

18. veiriti: I’d like to paraphrase the Maggie’s question about Buffy’s daydream with Spike – Does Buffy’s daydream have a purpose, or this is only a gift to us – the fans of Spike/Buffy relationship? If it’s a gift it was a really big gift – hours after her destructive sex with Angel, Buffy is dreaming about Spike! That was priceless! Btw – lots of fans love these panels, and IMO the fans like your friend Janette are a minority. Once again – great job!

Georges: All the sexy stuff is going on in her head and that's directly from Joss. We had many a conversation about how they were hooking up and just how much we should show. Where hands were. You never really know what's going on in someone's head and Buffy's no exception. She obviously cares for Spike and if the end of Season 7 said anything, it was that she had forgiven him his transgressions for his sacrifice and to find that he's alive, well, I wish Joss would write that scene. I'm so interested in seeing it! Enjoy your gift.

19. veiriti: I’ve just read the new issue and I loved it. This time your Angel is brilliant, especially in the end – Angel/Twilight facial expression and his eyes made me to shiver to the bones – the real face of a soulless evil. My question is – does Angel/Twilight still have a soul? Willow calls him “Angelus”, Spike calls him “Angelus” too. Spike and Willow have supernatural senses. Do they detect something wrong in Angel’s soul? And entire season 8 Angel/Twilight is acting just like Angelus for me.

Georges: Now if we went into explaining all this what would you have to read in the next issue? Patience, grasshopper. All will be revealed in time.

20. veiriti: Back to issue 36. The new twilight Universe is depicted as a talking dog at first – When the dog is talking about his plans he is scratching – the dog obviously has bugs. Angel obviously is Twilight – the obedient puppet who has to fulfill the New Universe’s plans. Is Spike the “bug” in the Twilight Universe’s plan? Joss Whedon said in an interview that Spike’s role on Buffy Season 8 will be very important, so will we see him playing a pivotal role in the end?

Georges: What's the right answer here...? Yes? No?

21. kdeb: Re: all the smoking Spike's doing, since we didn't see him smoke a single cigarette in Angel Season 5, is the fact that he gets through a whole pack of smokes in this one comic meant to imply that he's nervous about something? Does he in fact have an agenda? At this point, I don't know whether to hope that he does, because that will mean there's some point to his being in the story, which there currently doesn't seem to be except for fanservice, or to hope that he doesn't, because if he does it'll probably make things worse for Buffy.

So basically, the question is, does Spike serve any actual purpose in this story, or has he just been included to please the fans, and if he does, is the smoking meant to suggest anything?

Georges: Like I said in a previous question, Spike's smoking is just something that I have him do to give him something to do. Where it's appropriate. Buffy doesn't like him to smoke so he probably wouldn't smoke when he's talking to her, but there's nothing to read into, he just likes to smoke. Joss wanted to have the whole gang back at the end. So if you feel that he's just there as window dressing he is part of the core. And the fact that there's a huge battle is something he wouldn't want to miss.

22. kdeb: A couple of questions about facial expressions:

While Buffy is arguing with Willow in the cave, there's one panel of Spike with his back to everyone else (smoking again!) and frowning. Could you clarify for me what the expression on his face is meant to imply?

Georges: If I remember correctly they were talking about compromising and making an unholy alliance of sorts with the Master.

23. kdeb: Likewise, at the end, when Angel appears, is the expression on Buffy's face meant to be of joy or concern? I've seen it interpreted both ways and would like to know what you were going for when you drew it.

Georges: From the script it's meant to be happy on Buffy's face. Because she thinks Angel has come back to help tip the scales. What's not to be happy about that? The mood quickly changes when she can sense something wrong.

24. bamph: Not in the last Q/A session but the one before it,you said, "Oh man, if you don't like Angel now, you are going to really hate him soon!" As a followup to my first question in this session, why do you think there will more hate for Angel than what is already there by some given the fact that Angel is now being fully controlled by Twilight and anything he does next issue is against his will? If he's being totally controlled by Twilight at this point than doesn't that mean he is not in control of his actions next issue and should we feel more pity than hate?

Georges: Those are the best tragedies, aren't they?

25. bamph: There is a lot of talk going in sections of fandom that this entire storyline is about subverting and destroying the Buffy/Angel romance/relationship and they will be dead as a ship by issue 40 with Buffy maybe even hating Angel. You've been asked in these Q/A sessions about whether Buffy/Angel shippers should be in panic mode for there ship with the usual answer being to be very afraid. With just two issues to go and now knowing Angel is being controlled by Twilight in the next issue, I want to ask something sort of fundamental about Season 8 as a whole. Has this season been about subverting and destroying Buffy/Angel as romantic ship for Joss or is that not the right reading of what is going on or what Joss is doing?

Georges: I don't think Joss is set out to piss off one side of the fandom or the other. He's just out to tell good stories and drama is what hooks us the most. If you try and tell a story that pleases everyone it probably won’t be as good. Stick with the book till the end of the season and then you come back here and tell me what you think.

26. bamph: A more fun question. We've seen all of your covers and Jo Chen's covers for the season now except Jo's cover for the last trade. Do you have a favorite cover of your own and a favorite cover of Jo's?

Georges: I pretty much love all of Jo's covers! She's just so good! I really only like a handful of my covers. Recently, I have to say, I really liked the Giles cover. The way it was inked and colored is beautiful. I loved the idea that we finally gave him his own cover. I would have loved to have given Xander his own as well, but no such luck.

27. sosa lola: Did you get the script for #40 yet? If so, are you satisfied with the ending? Do you think there are things that weren't covered in the last two issues that should have been?

Georges: I have finished the last issue and it's a great epilogue to the series. After the events of #39, you get a glimpse into what Season 9 could be like. It's one of the best issues I've drawn. Joss wrote it and I felt that he was really on his game with it. There are so many great moments with just character stuff that I'm such a fan of. I kept telling Joss that this issue was so good that there didn't need to be any action in it.

28. sosa lola: Do you have any information about the characters' roles in S9? I'm mostly interested in Xander's role. There will be four titles: Buffy, Willow, Spike and Angel. In which book will Xander appear?

Georges: I think there will only be 2 ongoing books with a few limited series thrown in there when necessary. The great thing about Issue 40 is that it gives you a glimpse into Season 9.

29. zamolxis: I liked how Buffy and Spike fight together, it reminded me of Buffy asking Satsu in The Long Way Home “you fight with me, not next to me” and now I want to see Spike and Satsu working together. Will Satsu appear in the remaining issues?

Georges: I think she's running around the battle in #39 but there won’t be too much more focus on her, sorry.

30. zamolxis: The girls were beat down badly in the series, Angel put Buffy and Satsu in the hospital covered with bandages and IV, smashed Faith’s head pretty hard into a tile. Buffy already forgave Angel and had sex with him, but how about Faith and the rest, are they gonna forgive Angel for what he did to them before the reveal?

Georges: Faith does something really remarkable, that's all I can say about that.

31. zamolxis: At the end of #38, Angel is just possessed by Twilight or the Twilight entity transferred itself into Angel and that way giving Buffy and the Scoobies the opportunity to kill Twilight for good?

Georges: See? Good drama! How do you kill the Entity without killing the host?

32. wenxina: Hey Georges. Marketing question. If one were to hypothetically want to buy original art from you, is there a particular third party site to go to? Mighty Nib has some early stuff, but nothing past the first few issues.

Georges: Hit me up on my website kabalounge.com and let me know what pages you're interested in and we can go from there. Sound good?

33. wenxina: So, at the moment, we have Twilight aka Angel-under-a-mask, Twilight the realm/new universe, Twilight the apocalypse, and Twilight the new universe incarnate (the griffin). Is there more to come on this whole Twilight business?

Georges: That is a very good question....

34. wenxina: So the stakes are stacked pretty high right now. The legion of otherworldly demons are still pouring in. Angel's all possessed, and supposedly on an errand to retrieve the Seed for his and Buffy's offspring. Willow seems to be playing with the source of all magic. Xander seems to be in serious second thought land. Dawn is badly hurt. Is that enough badness, or is there more to come?

Georges: That's a lot for a single issue to wrap up, isn't it? I think you can see now why Issue 39 is such a big deal. It all happens here. It was probably the densest issue I've ever had to draw in this series. We get a piece of everyone and this whole thing comes to a climax. It's big. And sad. And cathartic. And good. And... well, you'll see in a couple of weeks, and then we can meet back here with what will no doubt be a serious Q&A session! Don't hold back!
Old 11-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Offical description of the final Buffy Season 8 trade.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight Volume 8: Last Gleaming: Amazon.ca: Joss Whedon, Jane Espenson, Georges Jeanty, Karl Moline: Books

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight Volume 8: Last Gleaming [Paperback]

Joss Whedon (Author), Jane Espenson (Author), Georges Jeanty (Artist), Karl Moline (Artist)

Product Description

The Season Finale is here, and Buffy must face the ultimate betrayal! Seems like a perfect time for Spike to come back. Series creator Joss Whedon writes the final story arc of Buffy Season 8, taking his greatest characters to places only he can! Teamed with series artist Georges Jeanty, Joss reunites the dysfunctional gang of Buffy, Angel, and Spike, in the thick of it together for the first time since Season 3, and gives the Scoobies their gravest challenge ever - defending reality itself from an onslaught of demons. It's the biggest Buffy finale ever!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffy Season 8 #39 won't be out on Wed.It will be out on Thursday due to the Thanksgiving holiday delaying shipping.

Diamond comic distribution has confirmed it too.

PREVIEWS: The Comic Shop's Catalog! -

New Releases Preview For 12/2 Shipping

So the new issue will be out on Thursday in the U.S.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM
Addicted Fan

D week is here.Buffy #39 is out this week on Thursday(due to the holiday).Buffyfest has already read the issue and has a big Scott Allie interview coming too.

From their twitter feed.

buffyfest (buffyfest) on Twitter

Ok fandom, we read the insanity that is issue #39, hell we read it a while ago and have been bursting at the seams.
28 minutes ago via Mobile Web

We have a few BIG interviews with @ScottAllie coming up. Matter of fact it's Dark Horse week all week. Get ready!
26 minutes ago via Mobile Web

@angeliclestat It will be a very spoilery week!
17 minutes ago via Mobile Web in reply to angeliclestat

@TakenByTheWind Oh yeah, the fear should be setting in around now.
16 minutes ago via Mobile Web in reply to TakenByTheWind
Old 11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Addicted Fan

Buffyfest: Get Ready For...Dark Horse Week!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Get Ready For...Dark Horse Week!

Do not adjust your monitors or web enabled phones! Buffyfest has gone "Dark Horse" in celebration and anticipation of this week's upcoming events.

As you may know, Buffy's much ballyhooed issue #39 comes out on Wednesday and we have a BIG interview with Dark Horse editor Super Scott Allie in the can, which should quell at least some of your burning questions. We'll also be catching up with Scott about his upcoming Hellboy mini and his contribution to Hack/Slash Trailers Pt 2. To sweeten the deal even further, we'll be hosting a Hellboy-themed contest tomorrow. And to top all of it off with a cherry, we'll have some super-secret, crazy-exclusive Buffy extras towards the end of the week.

In light of all the fun, we have dubbed this "Dark Horse Week". Get ready! And be afraid...be very afraid.

ETA

Buffyfest fixed the release date for the issue

Monday, November 29, 2010

Get Ready For...Dark Horse Week!

Do not adjust your monitors or web enabled phones! Buffyfest has gone "Dark Horse" in celebration and anticipation of this week's upcoming events.

As you may know, Buffy's much ballyhooed issue #39 comes out on Thursday and we have a BIG interview with Dark Horse editor Super Scott Allie in the can, which should quell at least some of your burning questions. We'll also be catching up with Scott about his upcoming Hellboy mini and his contribution to Hack/Slash Trailers Pt 2. To sweeten the deal even further, we'll be hosting a Hellboy-themed contest tomorrow. And to top all of it off with a cherry, we'll have some super-secret, crazy-exclusive Buffy extras towards the end of the week.

In light of all the fun, we have dubbed this "Dark Horse Week". Get ready! And be afraid...be very afraid.

Last edited by comic fan; 11-29-2010 at 08:04 PM
Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Addicted Fan

The Cover for the final Buffy Season 8 trade by Jo Chen.

An exclusive sneak peek at the cover of Buffy's final graphic novel

An exclusive sneak peek at the cover of Buffy's final graphic novel

Dark Horse Comics has provided us with an exclusive first look at Jo Chen's cover of the last Buffy The Vampire Slayer trade paperback. In Volume 8, it's Buffy and company versus the apocalypse.

You can find more from artist Jo Chen and Buffy co-writer Scott Allie in Dark Horse's upcoming Liz Sherman-centric tale B.P.R.D.: The Dead Remembered and in the penultimate issue of Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 8 (which hits stores Thursday).

Runge's Angel #41 cover.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4WrTiT_aG4...ngel+cover.jpg

Mooney cover for upcoming Angel issue.

Moondog -The Moonblog: Angel

Friday, November 26, 2010

Angel

This is a cover I contributed to an upcoming issue of Angel. Didn't realise how much I missed working on the character until I drew the big lug once again.

I've been out of the Angelverse for too long.... lets see about rectifying that.

Posted by Stephen Mooney
Old 12-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Addicted Fan

Brian Lynch reveals a page from Spike #5 with Willow.

Brian Lynch: Any Witch Way

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Any Witch Way

Sooooo the SPIKE series is getting a guest star for a few issues. Not going to say WHO, but here's a very subtle hint in the form of a page from the issue, entitled "Bed Knobs and Boomsticks". Art by the insanely talented Stephen Mooney!

Posted by Brian Lynch at 11:20 AM
Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Addicted Fan

Spoilers for tomorrow's Buffy Season 8 #39,"Last Gleaming Part IV of V"

For the discussion of Buffy #39 - BtVS - Whedonesque.com

Yep, Giles is dead.

Angel snaps his neck, mirroring the way he killed Jenny.

And I don't think Willow has gone insane. It not clear yet. She has lost a lot of power and her connection to the Goddess/Saga Vasuki, as well as the other slayers and is really upset.

Scythe got broke. It's power apparently came from the Seed.

Don't know whether the slayers have lost the powers.

Twilight!Kitty stops his possesion of Angel and goes on his merry way into Pandora.

Last page/panel: It's the "Betrayal" scene from issue #10(?). The broken Scythe in the foreground, dead Giles in the background, distraught Angel off the the side, Xander bending over the shattered Buffy. He says, "Buffy...?"

Next: Coda.

Oh and when Buffy brakes the Seeds and magic starts to leave the earth... Warren dies a gruesome, horrible, deserved death!!!
Kaan | December 02, 03:36 CET

We were jipped with Faith. A demon is psychically attacking her and a bunch of her slayers and so she punches the demon in the face with a double fist. That's it.
Kaan | December 02, 03:45 CET

Well there was a little bit about Faith actually leading the girls. It was one of the last things Giles says to her. "Yes, Faith -- lead them."
Kaan | December 02, 03:56 CET
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Addicted Fan

For the discussion of Buffy #39 - BtVS - Whedonesque.com

General and Dawn: Forgotten. Don't figure in anything.

Kennedy: In the thick of the demon fighting. Last seen cradling one distressed Willow.

The Master: He attacks Angel. Angel says, "Die now." and punches his fist through the Masters head.

Also funny little thing: there is an advertisement page for the motion comic blu-ray. So at least we now know that DH are getting something off Fox.

And I think I'm finished with the spoilers, not that there's much(any?) left. I'm more of a S8 lurker these days (at least in the discussion threads) and it isn't much fun when other's haven't read it. Not enough wank.

[ edited by Kaan on 2010-12-02 04:53 ]
Kaan | December 02, 04:51 CET
Closed Thread   Post New Thread