Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
Horror movie phobia?

Quote:
I love Life Boat. And Rope. And a lesser known dark comedy called "The Trouble with Harry". And then I have a soft spot for Notorious and Marnie and Shadow of a Doubt... and I'll stop here
I haven't see all of these Hitchcock's filmography is so big!

Haven't seen that one. I watched Night and Fog yesterday, I can't even talk about it...
Old 09-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Do you have another one? I can't find Rope.
Hm. I have to think about it some more

Quote:
I haven't see all of these Hitchcock's filmography is so big!
Sooo true! He was very prolific.
I think I saw most of his Hollywood movies and only a few of his British period, sadly.
Btw, Psycho and the Birds are great you should watch them. They're really mild compared to recent horror genre.

Quote:
Haven't seen that one. I watched Night and Fog yesterday, I can't even talk about it...
Resnais' doc on the death camps? Or is it something else?

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 09-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Btw, Psycho and the Birds are great you should watch them. They're really mild compared to recent horror genre.
I know. I hate that I'm spoiled about Psycho, it's like every professor I have has the need to talk about its finale, it's like Citizen Kane and Rosebud, good thing i watched that before going to uni
And I've seen a few "scary" parts of Birds and I wasn't scared so I'll probably watch it soon

yes, Resnais' documentary

Finally watched 12 Angry Men (another classic I should have watched years ago) and so good!

Last edited by poehler-bear; 09-16-2011 at 05:46 AM
Old 09-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Hm. I have to think about it some more
choose wisely cause it could be the last old movie I ever watch
Old 09-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
choose wisely cause it could be the last old movie I ever watch
that's why I want to give it some thought

Quote:
it's like every professor I have has the need to talk about its finale, it's like Citizen Kane and Rosebud, good thing i watched that before going to uni
I know, right?
And it's the same all over. I have a friend who studies Special Effect technique in a school here and he and his classmates were "lucky enough" to have an alumni who worked on LOTR and came for a conference on the very day that ROTK was released. He showed them clips from the movie that totally spoiled the film (I didn't care because I'd seen it just before though and it was really interesting to talk with the guy)

But yeah Citizen Kane and Psycho are classics and I'm not surprised teachers would use them as examples.

Quote:
yes, Resnais' documentary
it's very well done.

Quote:
Finally watched 12 Angry Men (another classic I should have watched years ago) and so good!
I know, right? Such a fantastic plot! The direction is impressive considering the technical challenges (and even the size of cameras and lighting) at the time! And the acting is superb. All around masterpiece.

Just saw a movie called Page Eight with the brilliant Bill Nighy and Rachel Weisz. Not your typical spy movie. Very character-oriented. Slow paced but it really draws you in. Recommended.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Master Fan

really? I would be so angry if I was spoiled about LOTR

Quote:
But yeah Citizen Kane and Psycho are classics and I'm not surprised teachers would use them as examples.
but seriously my professors have this need of describing a bunch of movie plots for no apparent reason other then spoil us

Quote:
it's very well done.
it is

Agree with everything you said about 12 Angry Men, I was really impressed with the camera work

Quote:
Recommended.
Adding to the never-ending list
Old 09-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Addicted Fan

Has anyone seen Midnight in Paris from Woody Allen?

Any Woody Allen fans here?
Old 09-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Master Fan

no I missed it. And yes, I love the WA movies I've seen (except Everybody Says I love you)
Old 09-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
really? I would be so angry if I was spoiled about LOTR
there were really pissed people there. But hey, I didn't care
And this guy was really interesting! His job on the movies was to the 3D design and animation of the Ringwraiths Fellbeasts. He spent more than 6 months on the texture for the skin and wings only!

Quote:
Agree with everything you said about 12 Angry Men, I was really impressed with the camera work
I know, right? They barely had dollies then!

Quote:
Has anyone seen Midnight in Paris from Woody Allen?
Not yet. I haven't been impressed with his most recent movies so I guess I let it slip for a while. Have you?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Not yet. I haven't been impressed with his most recent movies so I guess I let it slip for a while. Have you?
Such has?

It premiered here last 15th, so not yet, but I'm curious.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Elite Fan

All his Scarlett Johansson movies really and it's not just because I'm not a big fan of hers but I felt they were lacking.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
And this guy was really interesting! His job on the movies was to the 3D design and animation of the Ringwraiths Fellbeasts. He spent more than 6 months on the texture for the skin and wings only!
that sounds awesome! not a job I would have though

Quote:
Everybody I know who has seen it liked/loved it. Oh it's another movie my professor almost spoiled me about, but I put my hands on my ears and started to sing to myself
Old 09-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
All his Scarlett Johansson movies really and it's not just because I'm not a big fan of hers but I felt they were lacking.
So you didn't like Match Point or Vicky Cristina Barcelona?
I guess they are different from his "classic" films. I actually only started to like Match Point or Vicky Cristina Barcelona after I watched them 3 or 4 times. Again, I found this that I had missed the first time. Although it feels Johansson is sometimes playing the same character in all of them.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
that sounds awesome! not a job I would have though
I know, right? I know this one guy who spent about a year rotoscoping people on running in front of green screens and putting them on the decks of the Titanic

Quote:
Oh it's another movie my professor almost spoiled me about, but I put my hands on my ears and started to sing to myself
you should have a noise generator or something!

Quote:
So you didn't like Match Point or Vicky Cristina Barcelona?
I did like Vicky Cristina Barcelona (not Match Point though) but I didn't like it as much as Manhattan or Annie Hall or others, and I guess that makes me less excited to see what he comes up with next.

Quote:
Although it feels Johansson is sometimes playing the same character in all of them.
You can say that again
She's certainly not as bad as a lot of others we never seem to be able to stop hearing about but she's always giving the same vibe to everything.

Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
I did like Vicky Cristina Barcelona (not Match Point though) but I didn't like it as much as Manhattan or Annie Hall or others, and I guess that makes me less excited to see what he comes up with next.
I suppose he entered a new phase of his life and carrier, not sure if in the 90's or 2000, and that reflects on his work.

You think its the scripts, the actors, the way he films them?

I used to look at his movies, the old ones, like they were masterpieces, now they're mostly entertainment..